The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What synth present do I buy for my 50th birthday?
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
It took just a bit longer time to find a local one but my 50th birthday synth is here. Big thanks to all of you who have posted suggestions! Based on several of those, I had highly considered The River, the Moog One, the Quantum but my brain kept going to it because of my heritage - and having grown up in Italy in the golden years of "Italo Disco" (1983-1985), somehow that label stuck with my image online (even though I think of myself more of an early '90s Techno guy than an '80s guy) It made sense, for arguably the most important b-day or our lives, to close the circle and go back to that time for this event, and this is one of the most understated but key synths for the genre.

Felicitazione !!!

The perfect choice.

I'm SO happy for you.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

The carpet and furniture in that photo match the Synthex so well. I think I even smell minestrone.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Elka Synthex, the perfect choice. Everything I've heard out of this synth is magical, congratulations.
Old 20th July 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
It took just a bit longer time to find a local one but my 50th birthday synth is here. Big thanks to all of you who have posted suggestions! Based on several of those, I had highly considered The River, the Moog One, the Quantum but my brain kept going to it because of my heritage - and having grown up in Italy in the golden years of "Italo Disco" (1983-1985), somehow that label stuck with my image online (even though I think of myself more of an early '90s Techno guy than an '80s guy) It made sense, for arguably the most important b-day or our lives, to close the circle and go back to that time for this event, and this is one of the most understated but key synths for the genre.

Congratulations! Does it work?
Old 20th July 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Congratulations on your final choice. May it bring you much pleasure in the year to come! I can’t imagine anything more diametrically opposed to my own 50th birthday acquisition, as the newest inheritor of the Prophet name, the Sequential Prophet X, seemed just a wee bit outside your wheelhouse. Isn’t it fascinating how much our own history and interests draws us toward different choices? I love hearing the wide range of rationale and taste expressed here.
My choice will be a Moog One 8. If I get a chance.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Maniac

By then it should be.
I have two Synthex and detune them...than what!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
You may turn 60 before this threads over what then?
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Felicitazione !!!

The perfect choice.

I'm SO happy for you.
MaisonVague, thank you!! I followed your advice and decided to blow the whole budget on one high-end synth instead of the - admitted temptation - of getting two or three mid-level ones. Thank you!
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Elka Synthex, the perfect choice. Everything I've heard out of this synth is magical, congratulations.
Thank you very much - I agree, it's a magical unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Congratulations! Does it work?
Thank you, and ... you tell me if it works:

Yeah, it works perfectly, and it sounds spectacular, this synth is a masterpiece like they don't make them anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
My choice will be a Moog One 8. If I get a chance.
I had the chance to play the Moog One, it is quite incredible and so powerful- you can't go wrong with it
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

NICE!!! One of my vintage dream synths- so envious and happy for you. I bought my The River for my 50th, so now will have to wait for my 60th to get a Synthex.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Congrats on the B-day ! I read 4 pages of suggestions and then jumped to the end to see what you chose. Synthex ? Well done ! With the amount of high end gear you already have I probably would've gone with something like the Haken Continuum or a Genoqs Octopus. I know its blasphemy but at some point infinite choices ( sound generators)+infinite mutators ( Effects) leaves you with options that make you think differently about what you already have ( input devices) or options involving the recording chain ( A/D converters, channels, Computers etc). IIRC, you're close by, I hereby offer to bring a nice bottle of wine as a birthday present. Would love to see your studio.
Old 3 days ago
vlz
Lives for gear

There's a JX8P nearby going for 400 eur. I wonder if I should put in an offer and get it for my birthday. It's not in Mr Varaldo's league, but it could make my day. What do you reckon?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search