The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
June 2019 New Gear Thread
Old 3 weeks ago
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

June 2019 New Gear Thread

Another month, another tape plugin for me. This time it's Sony's ES series. After getting the first deck month ago i've realized many of us forgot how good these things used to sound especially when using proper calibration levels and bias curves, and of course good recording media. So i've decided to go for the 3 head deck since it offers calibration adjustments in real time. I had no idea there was whole science behind recording these things. As a kiddo back in the 80's i'd just press rec.

And some ammo for it. Courtesy of Marco Tec. While i do have TDK SA's and while they are cool, these BASF's are way more interesting in sound when saturated slightly. TDK's will clip too easily. These things forgive you a lot and never record as loud as TDK. I believe there is some relation in this. I'm still learning things as i go, but it is way more complicated than i thought...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Slow month at the Solaris home...

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m not much of a Korg guy or a rack synth guy but this was $125 yesterday (no extra expansions) which I thought I could probably get some entertainment with, or sell if I hate it.

Also here’s a handsome kitty.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2019 New Gear Thread-a858ac24-dac6-4926-81e9-5ba317ea53c0.jpg   June 2019 New Gear Thread-9947fd2e-5a5d-4ab0-b7cd-224b32f5fcc0.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

90s rompler prices are craaaazzzzyyy. Nice score.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I feel like I’m acquiring all the things that were unaffordable to me when they were new. When Tritons were cool I bought a Juno 106 as my first synth because it was 1/10 the cost. Now of course that’s been flipped on its head.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

Another month, another tape plugin for me. This time it's Sony's ES series. After getting the first deck month ago i've realized many of us forgot how good these things used to sound especially when using proper calibration levels and bias curves, and of course good recording media. So i've decided to go for the 3 head deck since it offers calibration adjustments in real time. I had no idea there was whole science behind recording these things. As a kiddo back in the 80's i'd just press rec.

And some ammo for it. Courtesy of Marco Tec. While i do have TDK SA's and while they are cool, these BASF's are way more interesting in sound when saturated slightly. TDK's will clip too easily. These things forgive you a lot and never record as loud as TDK. I believe there is some relation in this. I'm still learning things as i go, but it is way more complicated than i thought...
After all my years I still record to a Nakamichi deck.
Old 3 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Yeah, but have you seen JD-800 prices?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-JD80...oAAOSwmuBc40sC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLAND-JD-8...QAAOSwGeFbf3pT
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-JD-8...cAAOSwMA1c0zFc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Roland...UAAOSwJtdaRtzO
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-JD-8...EAAOSwyYJc6Nuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
After all my years I still record to a Nakamichi deck.
Which one? I'm still deciding between ZX and CR series - or should i go both. (G.A.S.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I picked up Hive 2 and I'm really pleased with the new version. Hive 1 didn't really interest me at all, but between the addition of wavetables and .uhm scripts for custom wavetables in 1.2 and the new modulation system, Hive 2 is very good.

The new version is basically East Coast Oscillators + Filters meet West Coast modulation. The Shape Sequencer is deceptively powerful. After taking some time to explore and get creative with modulation assignments, it's surprising what you can do with it. There's more than meets the eye here. I've only scratched the surface with the Function Generators so far, but they're also powerful and complement the Shape Sequencer nicely. Both systems can basically be envelopes, LFOs, gates... they reward imagination, for sure.

Really fun synth!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Incoming effects!

Yet another phaser to add to the pile. I'm beginning to believe my phaser fetish puts me under a deeply disturbed category somewhere?

And some mangling action from this one

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I picked up a "new" used Bass Station II earlier in the week for a very good price. The previous owner bought it for a studio session, used it for a short time, decided it wasn't the sound he wanted and put it back into the box. I couldn't find a mark, finger print or a spec of dust to doubt the story.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasan View Post
I picked up a "new" used Bass Station II earlier in the week for a very good price. The previous owner bought it for a studio session, used it for a short time, decided it wasn't the sound he wanted and put it back into the box. I couldn't find a mark, finger print or a spec of dust to doubt the story.
The recent firmware update is worth doing on the BS2.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’ve got one of these and properly setup can be a great mix down deck. Can rival some 1/4” machines. Just be aware the belt will fail. The one that normally breaks controls the engagement of the play head. Let me know if you’d like the contact of where I bought mine from.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I’m not much of a Korg guy or a rack synth guy but this was $125 yesterday (no extra expansions) which I thought I could probably get some entertainment with, or sell if I hate it.

Also here’s a handsome kitty.
He’s quite the gentleman. I miss having a cat.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Korg EPS-1 piano and strings. I think that makes itmy 6th string machine. Never even heard of it. Sounds great tho and sits on top of the cp-70. I built a wooden shelf system and on top of the EPS, have a minimoog, cp reface, minilogue, monologue, and CR-78.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, but have you seen JD-800 prices?
Whoah, do you think it is now the right time to sell it? I got mine (it's a heavy piece to move around btw) to be signed by JMJ as "Chronologie" was my favoruite album and this one was used heavily on that. I'm honestly surprised by what people ask for this synth these days.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
He’s quite the gentleman. I miss having a cat.
He loves the studio because there’s many heat sources to toast himself with...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Nice, takes me back...back when I thought I was the best bedroom DJ ever, hah.

Interesting idea for capturing synth noodles, might dig out the Technics separates, maybe dust down those 'legendary' mixtapes
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Elektron analog rytm mk1
Novation Peak with stand
Preen fm2
Volca FM
Boss Rv6 x2
Boss DD7
Alesis midiverb 2

Sorry guys, no pics. But it did happen, honestly
Old 3 weeks ago
Just got my Yamaha AN200 the 31st, but it’s a June purchase to me. Now my DX200 finally has its kid sister to play with.
Old 3 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
Just be aware the belt will fail.
Yeah, the mode belt. Already fixed. It's tricky, takes a few hours, but is doable and most importantly, saves 280 notes. The greedy sums these technicians ask are ridiculous. Hence i decided to do it myself. I've used the "fast method" from the tapeheads forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Electric View Post
Whoah, do you think it is now the right time to sell it?
No. Because something wonderful is going to happen. No one will want to sell their JD-800 if it all goes well. Can't say what or when. Coincidentally there is a hint in this very same thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Electric View Post
to be signed by JMJ as "Chronologie" was my favoruite album and this one was used heavily on that.
In all honesty i would never let anyone sign anything on my JD-800. The only thing i would let them was to eventually pet it or wipe the dust off and that's 'bout it. Signing below the unit is ok, but on that wonderful timeless panel, signing with a marker..... no way. Even if it was Pope John Paul II. Sorry...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which one? I'm still deciding between ZX and CR series - or should i go both. (G.A.S.)
It’s a DR-2.

Of course I’d love to get my hands on a Dragon one of these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
It’s a DR-2.

Of course I’d love to get my hands on a Dragon one of these days.
Upgraded limited edition of the 1000ZXL master recorder, in fact so limited it was built on order only

and the cassette deck 1 the last nakamichi..

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In all honesty i would never let anyone sign anything on my JD-800. The only thing i would let them was to eventually pet it or wipe the dust off and that's 'bout it. Signing below the unit is ok, but on that wonderful timeless panel, signing with a marker..... no way. Even if it was Pope John Paul II. Sorry...
I have to agree with Don...

although a pope-approved synth would be cool. You could then sell it to a famous Christian Rock band for one million dollars.

Speaking of ChristianRock, what happened to him? Last post 15th August 2016.
Old 3 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
The rumor has it, he said one bad word against the Great Leader. And the Great Leader sent a group of hitmen from Korea, to track him down all the way to America. They eventually found him, rang the house bell and ran away.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I surrendered to my gas and I upgraded my Cubase Artist license (which I bought last month) to Pro, before the end of the 50% promotion.

So now both of my computers can run the Pro version. I bought the Artist license because I plan to buy a new pc before the end of the year and I want to be able to run Cubase on both the new pc and my current one at the same time (for the time being, I will use the spare license on my laptop), but it makes sense to have the same version on both computers.

Of course, one of this license will never be upgraded to newer versions of Cubase (maybe I'll upgrade to 10.5, but I won't go past because my Mac Mini is quite old and unlikely to be supported anymore), but the goal is to be able to open previous projects on the mini without having to deal with missing features or things like that...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It’s true. All of it. The sound, the growl, the aftertouch, the ring modulator...

Basic story, picked up this heavy beauty from someone thinking it was an old organ. Now this has a lot of work ahead but it’s looking good as far as the basic functionality goes. Will have to take some quick lessons in tolex rebuilding. Fun times ahead.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
picked up this heavy beauty from someone thinking it was an old organ.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
Upgraded limited edition of the 1000ZXL master recorder, in fact so limited it was built on order only

and the cassette deck 1 the last nakamichi..

You’re my hero! Both are incredible, and incredible looking!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
We've lost a lot of great posters around here over the years. @ shadowfac and I used to talk about Electribes and Dot Com systems regularly, and then one day he just vanished.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
We've lost a lot of great posters around here over the years. @ shadowfac and I used to talk about Electribes and Dot Com systems regularly, and then one day he just vanished.
Thank you Derp. Feels nice to be remembered. I'm still lurking, not completely lost

Various things happened. I got sucked into videogames and started a rock covers band with some workmates (I'm a drummer). Between those things and family and work, my synth time has been reduced to practically zero. Consequentially, I stopped visiting synth forums as well. I still have my synths (including the electribes and dotcom) and even buy the occasional piece (Volca Modular is the latest), but haven't recorded any new stuff in ages.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search