The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer's New Synth (ARP 2600 clone?)
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Received my B2600 this week and have had a quick play this evening.
I haven't used a 2600 before so took a bit of getting used to how it fits together but was getting some cool stuff out of it after an hour or so. As noted from the YouTube videos, it's a bit cleaner sounding than the originals but the tone holds its own against other mono synths I own (pro 3, Moog semis). It's also different enough from these that I don't expect I'll be getting rid of it any time soon.

Hope the availability gets better as we head into the new year. I feel lucky that mine arrived in time for tinkering through the Christmas holidays.

J
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️
Does anyone here like ARP Orange or do you find it an overrated wannabe yellow?

I'm more of a Waldorf Orange man myself but I wouldn't kick PPG Blue out of my bed for eating crackers, if you know what I mean...
The orange-and-black color scheme is my least favorite of ARP's panel designs, and I don't understand why both Korg and Behringer seem to default to it in their reissues/clones (KARP 2600 aside). The silverface Odyssey is clearly the coolest-looking iteration of that synth. I will say, though, that I'm growing to like the look of the Christmas light sliders against the orange and black on the B2600.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp ➡️
The orange-and-black color scheme is my least favorite of ARP's panel designs, and I don't understand why both Korg and Behringer seem to default to it in their reissues/clones (KARP 2600 aside). The silverface Odyssey is clearly the coolest-looking iteration of that synth. I will say, though, that I'm growing to like the look of the Christmas light sliders against the orange and black on the B2600.
I agree.

For newbies like me, it could help if they make sense.

I know the B2600 is a learning synth with its explanations on its face, but myself being less than a year into keyboards, if the lights also help (if that's the reason like training wheels), then I can on board with that.

I heard one advanced user wish that the 2600 didn't have any writing on it because obviously they knew what every slider did. That reminds me of a guitar I had built without any dots on it and while I know the fretboard by being many years in, it would mystify a beginner.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orge ➡️
Received my B2600 this week and have had a quick play this evening.
I haven't used a 2600 before so took a bit of getting used to how it fits together but was getting some cool stuff out of it after an hour or so. As noted from the YouTube videos, it's a bit cleaner sounding than the originals but the tone holds its own against other mono synths I own (pro 3, Moog semis). It's also different enough from these that I don't expect I'll be getting rid of it any time soon.

Hope the availability gets better as we head into the new year. I feel lucky that mine arrived in time for tinkering through the Christmas holidays.

J
Thank you for your report! Although the Poly D's lineage was the Model D, I like it for what it is. Especially the jack-space on top, 14 I/O's wow! I can make this thing do back flips now!

Like the B2600 for what it is, that was what the design goal was. What the OG model sounded like is moot. It's different. Just like any reissue/clone inventibly is.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One can feel that the B2600 fails to deliver the 2600 sound, yet still plan to buy one because $600 is a good deal for a 3-oscillator semi-modular synth with a lot of cool features. Even if you felt you still needed something more authentic to satisfy your 2600 desires, there could still be room in your life for this little box. Based on the demos I've heard, that's the camp I'm in. The features are there, but I'm just not hearing the tone, which I'm pretty familiar with as my dad has owned his 2600 since I was in short pants. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker for me, but it's reasonable to point it out.

By the way, I would be thrilled to be proved wrong on this when I hear it in person.
The sound and the layout are two wonderful features of the 2600. You can do great things with a synth that has one and not the other.

I haven't heard good demos of the B. but it's early days.

If the Korg Mini has the sound I want I'll pay extra for it (up to a point), although if it has tiny faders I'm not interested.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterfriendly ➡️
The members of Ingsoc on this forum do a fine line in 'Doublethink', so don't let them get you down.

You are allowed to not like some things, or hold judgment, especially in B's case. Probably a good idea as there are often issues in the first batch. I'm gonna do the same and hold off on the B 2600 for now and wait to see what Korg come up with.
Yes!

I don't mind the spirited pros and cons that could turn into arguments but we will soon know how reliable these are, and see very experienced synth players take them to places we haven't seen before.

I don't HAVE to get one for the wife in April snd could wait until summer. We will then see if it's a so so value for $599 or if it is the gigantic value that it seems to be for now.

The Pro 800 may be better for the money, or a full on move back to the safety of the proven Karp Odyssey which has long been an alternative to the FS 2600.

I know a lot of eyes will be on the B2600 and Pro 800 with people comparing the two and trying to decide to get one popular synth or the other but perhaps not both. I certainly want one of them, heck yeah, but not both.

Both will debut high and remain top ten synths through most of 2021 no doubt much like the crazy popular Neutron and Crave.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir ➡️
Hopefully the Gamechanger Audio light pedal will hit the shops soon, should be a nice pairing with the B2600
Don't get me wrong here --Gamechanger make great pedals (I love running Jupiter-4 through a Plasma Pedal, for example) but I think spending more than half the price of the synth on an additional effect to replace an onboard one is kind of like swatting a fly with a Buick.

Besides, the original 2600 reverb was a so-crappy-it's-good "marbles on a trashcan lid" sound in the same vein as the ones in the Roland Space Echoes. No amount of extra money is going to make that lo-tech mojo sound better, IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterfriendly ➡️
The members of Ingsoc on this forum do a fine line in 'Doublethink', so don't let them get you down.

You are allowed to not like some things, or hold judgment, especially in B's case. Probably a good idea as there are often issues in the first batch. I'm gonna do the same and hold off on the B 2600 for now and wait to see what Korg come up with.
No one is telling that kid what to think or feel and there's no need for you to further feed his persecution complex. He's already been flapping his hands around in the air about 'forum cops' and 'purchase police' this afternoon. That's enough hysterics for today, TYVM.

I agree it's better to wait and not rush into being a first batch beta tester. Far too many have been burnt in their rush to be the first to have the RD-8 and MS-1. Better to reserve judgement with your own ears and setup -- far more important than what some influencer yokel on Youtube thinks of their first dibs units too.

Is Korg still denying the existence of the 2600 Mini with the "What picture? There was no picture!" excuse?
Old 7th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I too could have afforded the Korg 2600 but the reason I didn’t pull the trigger was because I wanted to wait for the Behringer. In my opinion they nailed the sound of the Model D and the Pro One, so it was reasonable to assume the 2600 would sound the business as well.

I’m still not convinced that it doesn’t. But that is the sound I want, and if the Behringer can’t do it I’ll be disappointed.

If it really is too squeaky clean, I wouldn’t be surprised if one or two tweaks, either by patching or modding, makes the Behringer just as filthy and growly as an ARP. For example if it’s just that the filter isn’t being driven hard enough, maybe someone adding a bit of gain pre-filter via an external module would help. I haven’t given up hope.

But hey, if the Behringer just can’t get that sound, maybe that rumoured Korg Mini 2600 will be the answer.

Last edited by infindebula; 7th December 2020 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: fixed words
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula ➡️
But hey, if the Behringer just can’t get that sound, maybe that rumoured Korg Mini 2600 will be the answer.
Ty Unwin has said that the 2600 Mini is happening. I hope it sounds like the FS and has decent faders.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstaf ➡️
Ty Unwin has said that the 2600 Mini is happening. I hope it sounds like the FS and has decent faders.
and if not, the wonderful world of vst still remains. or a poster on the wall.
think exactly for such things it is probably the wrong thread .. "what if" is otherwise at futurama.

I would possibly read the real experience reports, and then give myself thought, brings more.

Behringer's New Synth (ARP 2600 clone?)
Gear Head

It is still weird that after watching the current online demo's of the 2600 I'm not convinced of the sound but the sound samples posted 1-2 months ago by some magazine sounded very good! The Yazoo patch sounded 100%!
Old 7th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Its not about it sounding exactly like a 2600 for me, just sounding good. The Pro 1 and model D were fairly close to original apparently but they sound very good regardless. The B2600 is not much like the original, even from videos that is obvious, but it doesnt sound that great to me either... You could claim it's just the current demos, but out of all the D/ProOne demos you will struggle to find a single one that doesnt sound good, let alone bad.
That DIY 2600 and B2600 vids demo from the same guy really highlighted it.
Even the Korg doesnt sound that great or accurate, and you are paying a huge premium for authenticity in that case.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here --Gamechanger make great pedals (I love running Jupiter-4 through a Plasma Pedal, for example) but I think spending more than half the price of the synth on an additional effect to replace an onboard one is kind of like swatting a fly with a Buick.

Besides, the original 2600 reverb was a so-crappy-it's-good "marbles on a trashcan lid" sound in the same vein as the ones in the Roland Space Echoes. No amount of extra money is going to make that lo-tech mojo sound better, IMO.
Not looking to replace the on board or get "that sound" just think it will be a good pairing, I'm getting the pedal anyway so if it's released first I'll actually be getting the the 2600 to go with the Light Pedal not the other way round
Lives for gear

Sound wise I think you could get closer to the filter and filth with a Boomstar 4075, which are tremendous value used.

It doesn't have the same features though.. for the sluttiest I imagine it would make a great pairing with the Barp (imagine a 5 osc monster 2600 with bells and whistles)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not really grit and dirt that I feel is missing from the demos I've heard; there's a richness and depth to the sound of a real 2600 that's a little hard to describe, but you know it when you hear it. I had my KARP Odyssey next to my dad's 2600 once, and as much as I like the Odyssey, it was obvious to the ear that it did not possess this je ne sais quoi, and the 2600 does. Maybe it's just the way its components have aged over its long life; I dunno.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
To be honest, if I had several thousand pounds / dollars / Euro for a KARP, I'd buy several 2600s and chain them into a monster and chuck in a few AMS Synths modules to make the party more exciting. A whole wall of 2600s blinking at me would look much cooler than the OG 2600. And the sound would be immense. But that's just me.
That would look cool. Equally nice in sound would be some pro effects but in a very short time they can cost more than 2600s.

A Bradshaw type effects rack would rock with a Keystep Pro and 2600 (about $399 and $599). The Bradshaw, or similar, without effects costs far more but it's portable in a flight case and of course works with 3.5 mm CV, MIDI, 1/4" inch, and any type of wireless you can dream up.

The Bradshaw will make your single 2600 sound bigger than multiple 2600s and take up less space.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/guitar....radshaw/%3famp
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanYoshizato ➡️
That would look cool. Equally nice in sound would be some pro effects but in a very short time they can cost more than 2600s.

A Bradshaw type effects rack would rock with a Keystep Pro and 2600 (about $399 and $599). The Bradshaw, or similar, without effects costs far more but it's portable in a flight case and of course works with 3.5 mm CV, MIDI, 1/4" inch, and any type of wireless you can dream up.

The Bradshaw will make your single 2600 sound bigger than multiple 2600s and take up less space.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/guitar....radshaw/%3famp
That was a great read about Bob Bradshaw, thanks for that.

It's interesting you mention effects units in conjunction with a 2600.

Back in the 2600 heyday the 'big ARP' was often used as an all-in-one effects unit -- preamplification, attenuation, ring modulation/tremolo, distortion, reverb, envelope following, white and pink noise sources, filtering, even pseudo delay and octaving using an envelope or slow LFO combined with the envelope follower -- you name it, the 2600 was doing it. There's probably more songs where the 2600 is uncredited as there are where it is acknowledged. It's a really versatile bit of kit from back in the days when there was nothing else like it short of towing a room full of modular around.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That was a great read about Bob Bradshaw, thanks for that.

It's interesting you mention effects units in conjunction with a 2600.

Back in the 2600 heyday the 'big ARP' was often used as an all-in-one effects unit -- preamplification, attenuation, ring modulation/tremolo, distortion, reverb, envelope following, white and pink noise sources, filtering, even pseudo delay and octaving using an envelope or slow LFO combined with the envelope follower -- you name it, the 2600 was doing it. There's probably more songs where the 2600 is uncredited as there are where it is acknowledged. It's a really versatile bit of kit from back in the days when there was nothing else like it short of towing a room full of modular around.
I read that many synths could do this but the 2600 was compact enough and had graphics painted on the board. I couldn't imagine using a Buchla or Moog.
Gear Head

Quote:
It's not really grit and dirt that I feel is missing from the demos I've heard; there's a richness and depth to the sound of a real 2600 that's a little hard to describe, but you know it when you hear it. I had my KARP Odyssey next to my dad's 2600 once, and as much as I like the Odyssey, it was obvious to the ear that it did not possess this je ne sais quoi, and the 2600 does. Maybe it's just the way its components have aged over its long life; I dunno.
i hear some richness and depth personally to this 2600 but its more controlled and i dont think has quite the low energy or ' something ' but it still sounds sweet .

whilst i dont hear what i like in vintage synths ( poor calibration and flaws in design / components ) what do hear is a good quality of sound to this 2600 reworking , i think its just more precise , snappier and sounds more modern but i think theres something missing all the same.

It would be nice if humans respected that stating your opinion is not pointless griping , its called Free Will and if you dont agree theres no need to act so defensive , its just someone saying something they feel ? they are not you ? do you want a world where everyone agrees with you ? if thats the case you should <deleted by moderator - let's not be too judgemental of our fellow colleages. thanks>

what you hear is the main difference between so much new analogue gear and old gear but people hate to admit this for various personal reasons.

Last edited by Reptil; 8th December 2020 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: -
Gear Head

Quote:
W

However, I suspect some will just go back to griping about how much they hate Christmas lights and how much better the KARP is because of an extra $3500 of magic beans.

why are you so insecure ? just respect we all have different opinions and mocking people as they dont slip into your mindset is a sign of arrogance and a rather fascist state of mind .

in case you hadn't noticed some are just expressing their opinion , You label it ' Griping ' as you have both no respect for other peoples Opinions and also they are somehow inducing Fear in you ? what up ? why do you have such a problem with people expressing their opinion ? hows it a treat ? would you be happier if people all agreed with you ?

your not expressing opinions back , you basically setting up a narrative that Any constructive criticism is fake news or moronic , how very on trend.

I noticed these Behringer threads seem to have zero tolerance for Any debate outside the Churches official narrative / love fest , its almost like everyone is afraid of something and totally insecure.

anyway this threads now in the bin for me , its another example of why i dont spend my entire life on this forum as its not a place of open debate , its a place where people dominate others who dont agree with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektronische ➡️
i hear some richness and depth personally to this 2600 but its more controlled and i dont think has quite the low energy or ' something ' but it still sounds sweet .

whilst i dont hear what i like in vintage synths ( poor calibration and flaws in design / components ) what do hear is a good quality of sound to this 2600 reworking , i think its just more precise , snappier and sounds more modern but i think theres something missing all the same.

It would be nice if humans respected that stating your opinion is not pointless griping , its called Free Will and if you dont agree theres no need to act so defensive , its just someone saying something they feel ? they are not you ? do you want a world where everyone agrees with you ? if thats the case you should beam back to 1939 and pop over to Germany as a lot of you indicate to really obvious traits , Insecurity and Arrogance.

what you hear is the main difference between so much new analogue gear and old gear but people hate to admit this for various personal reasons.
Hello! Welcome to the thread. Yet also... goodbye!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektronische ➡️
<deleted by moderator - please don't focus on other users' opinions, but on the gear>
...and yet you missed the point of that post as well. Declaring the B2600 (or anything for that matter) as being better/spot on/inferior based on a 'first dibbs' Youtube video is a fool's game.

I have no vested interest or 'personal reasons' (or whatever that veiled jab was alluding to) in the B2600 matching up/not matching up to whatever arbitrary standard we have set for how a 2600 is supposed to sound.

But yeah, go ahead and knock yourself out arguing that watching a bunch of Youtube videos on laptop speakers somehow uniquely qualifies you to make such bold declarations versus a man who through his passion and livelihood has listened to more ARP 2600's of every iteration in person than you've had hot lunches.

Last edited by Reptil; 8th December 2020 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: -
Old 7th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rob I wish I could push the ignore button for you. It'll get you a lot of piece of mind :0) they're not worth it.
Old 7th December 2020
Gear Head

by by
Old 7th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
There's a fair few videos coming through now I see. I thought that the B2600 wasn't out until next January. Has anyone here got their hands on one yet?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree ➡️
There's a fair few videos coming through now I see. I thought that the B2600 wasn't out until next January. Has anyone here got their hands on one yet?
I think so. Just browse a few pages back.

Caveat: The posts are hidden deeply between a flamewar. Too bad I cannot make out anymore what it really is all about.

Masi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitito ➡️
I think so. Just browse a few pages back.

Caveat: The posts are hidden deeply between a flamewar. Too bad I cannot make out anymore what it really is all about.

Masi
insider tip, go to yt .. enter behringer 2600 .. reduce the period to 2 weeks, and voila you have all the vids ..

a kind of magic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My criticisms of this thing aside, this faux high pass filter trick sounds cool to me.

Look, I said something positive!

Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➡️
My criticisms of this thing aside, this faux high pass filter trick sounds cool to me.

Look, I said something positive!

This synth "cuts like a razor". I love it!
📝 Reply