The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your take on OP-Z as Sequencer onLy
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OP-Z as Sequencer onLy

Hi guys! I am thinking to get OP-Z just to sequence external synths. How great does it work only for that?

I watched videos and read articles, but didn't really find a clear answer.
(i don t care about internal sounds, maybe just drums)
Thanks!

Last edited by sentokan; 3 weeks ago at 08:45 PM.. Reason: better understanding
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I can’t answer sorry but am looking at the op-z closely.

The performance stuff looks great (conditional stuff etc) but the polyphony is hit and miss. If I understand correctly there’s one track of 8, one of 4, one of 3 and then the rest are monophonic.

Also to drive a hardware set up you either need the new module (oplab) or something to convert usb midi into midi din...

Have you seen the squid? That’s the other one that I’m intrigued by.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tried it, too small for me
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTheMu View Post
I can’t answer sorry but am looking at the op-z closely.

The performance stuff looks great (conditional stuff etc) but the polyphony is hit and miss. If I understand correctly there’s one track of 8, one of 4, one of 3 and then the rest are monophonic.

Also to drive a hardware set up you either need the new module (oplab) or something to convert usb midi into midi din...

Have you seen the squid? That’s the other one that I’m intrigued by.
For what it does, squid too large for me..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
For what it does, squid too large for me..
That is a point. I’ve only seen videos of it so far. Need a photo next to a measuring tape or a pencil to give it a sense of scale...
Old 3 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Opz is great.. lots of YouTube videos of how the sequence of works.. it's the same for external synth's, sixteen channels correspond to sixteen midi channels. If you get one make sure you like the workflow and how it grooves, I think that's most important, plus get the oplab module or you will get frusterated messing with USB unless you are good at computer stuff.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Opz is great.. lots of YouTube videos of how the sequence of works.. it's the same for external synth's, sixteen channels correspond to sixteen midi channels. If you get one make sure you like the workflow and how it grooves, I think that's most important, plus get the oplab module or you will get frusterated messing with USB unless you are good at computer stuff.
U own one? I have an usb to midi out/in converter, don t need the oplab. I hope it s just the same for ext gear as for internal sounds. U don t like how it grooves?
Old 3 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
U own one? I have an usb to midi out/in converter, don t need the oplab. I hope it s just the same for ext gear as for internal sounds. U don t like how it grooves?
Yes I have one, I love how it grooves.. to me that's is best selling point. I use it to control my digitakt, and that controls all my synth's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I I haven't hooked mine up to anything else yet, but I do think the opz sequencer is very creative and interesting. You can assign a lot of different "conditions" to each step, and end up with very musically interesting results. Only 16 steps, so you really have to work with the steps and use the different conditions as the basis for your patterns. Quite different than the pyramid, circuit, elektron, MPC live, Deluge... Sequencers that I have experience with. The squid seems to have some similarities, but I don't know that machine
Old 3 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I cut my teeth on a mpc, so I'm used to playing in sequences live, so I just stretch them and play it in live.. usually all my tracks are all very different lengths in a sequence.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Why tho? If you’re going to use it as a sequencer I don’t see how space can be an issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

A definite want want want
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrophit View Post
Why tho? If you’re going to use it as a sequencer I don’t see how space can be an issue.
Simple, I got other tools around like the Mpc and Octa..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search