The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jupiter 6 Frozen
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Jupiter 6 Frozen

HI all, wondering if anyone on here can help me out. Yesterday I hit the tune button on my Jupiter 6 and the synth froze up. Tried power cycling it a few times but still frozen, so I let it sit unplugged overnight and and tried it today. Worked fine, until I hit the tune button and now it's frozen again. When I power it on the lights flash and land on Bank F #6

Anyone know what is going on? It does have the Europa mod if that makes a difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
HI all, wondering if anyone on here can help me out. Yesterday I hit the tune button on my Jupiter 6 and the synth froze up. Tried power cycling it a few times but still frozen, so I let it sit unplugged overnight and and tried it today. Worked fine, until I hit the tune button and now it's frozen again. When I power it on the lights flash and land on Bank F #6

Anyone know what is going on? It does have the Europa mod if that makes a difference.
If it's anything like the OB8 I used to own, I would say that voice 6 has failed the tuning diagnostic routine. The Oberheim would not freeze like yours though and you at least had the option to go into the page 2 function to disable the failed voice.
Sorry, not much help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyburns View Post
If it's anything like the OB8 I used to own, I would say that voice 6 has failed the tuning diagnostic routine. The Oberheim would not freeze like yours though and you at least had the option to go into the page 2 function to disable the failed voice.
Sorry, not much help.
I did notice that a voice was soundy wonky, a bit of crackle and wobble, hence why I pushed the tune button after all.
I'm wondering if F6 is an error code but I don't see anything about that in the manual.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yeah, it's the voice chip. Got it running again and there is a bad voice in the second VCO. Doesn't produce sound at lower notes and squeals like a banshee at higher notes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I did notice that a voice was soundy wonky, a bit of crackle and wobble, hence why I pushed the tune button after all.
I'm wondering if F6 is an error code but I don't see anything about that in the manual.
Certainly sounds like Roland implemented a similar visible error detection system. Why it would freeze though I don't know. Sounds like there is definitely something wrong with that voice board though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

just 'let it go'

sorry couldn't resist.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

First of all I would check that the power supply is outputting the right voltages in a clean manner (aka: no ripple or other instabilities on the DC outputs). Probe its outputs with a multimeter and an oscilloscope to see if it's all right.

It's not normal that the synth totally freezes just for a troublesome voice, maybe this is a bug of the Europa firmware of which I'm not aware of (I don't have any experience with the Europa mod, my Jupiter 6 is running with the original firmware), but I'd definitely start to check the power supply to exclude problems with it, that could affect everything down the line.

EDIT: Taking a look to the Europa's user manual at page 18, F6 code doesn't mean that voice nr. 6 is in trouble, but that one or both the voice cards are not responding (each voice card in the Jupiter 6 have its own CPU, which communicates with the main CPU thru a serial line). So after checking the power supply I would also reseat all the cables in their connectors to see if this corrects the issue.

Last edited by mima85; 3 weeks ago at 08:38 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mima85 View Post
First of all I would check that the power supply is outputting the right voltages in a clean manner (aka: no ripple or other instabilities on the DC outputs). Probe its outputs with a multimeter and an oscilloscope to see if it's all right.

It's not normal that the synth totally freezes just for a troublesome voice, maybe this is a bug of the Europa firmware of which I'm not aware of (I don't have any experience with the Europa mod, my Jupiter 6 is running with the original firmware), but I'd definitely start to check the power supply to exclude problems with it, that could affect everything down the line.

EDIT: Taking a look to the Europa's user manual at page 18, F6 code doesn't mean that voice nr. 6 is in trouble, but that one or both the voice cards are not responding (each voice card in the Jupiter 6 have its own CPU, which communicates with the main CPU thru a serial line). So after checking the power supply I would also reseat all the cables in their connectors to see if this corrects the issue.
Thank you, and thanks for that link to the manual! I'll probe the PSU and see if there are any ripples or weird voltages. If reseating doesn't work (hopefully it does, I love easy fixes) perhaps it's a CPU?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

According to the service manual auto-tune sets each oscillator one at a time to a saw tooth and then measures the frequency. I would think that means if there's a bad oscillator then the system is going to pause while it attempts to adjust the oscillator to the target frequency and then fail out. The solution would be to get the keyboard fixed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If reseating doesn't work (hopefully it does, I love easy fixes) perhaps it's a CPU?
It could be, the CPU or the surrounding circuitry (RAM, address decoders, latches/bus drivers etc).

If the power supply is OK, and despite having reseated all the wiring the synthesizer still freezes, I would point first of all to the main CPU board.

Prior to think to a digital logic IC which is failing, it could be useful to check and reflow all the solder joints under the CPU board, maybe the failure is due just to a bad contact (the fact that from cold the synth usually boots could be quite indicative of that). I recall that some time ago I had my hands on a Jupiter 6 whose keyboard was only partially responsive but its contacts and wiring were all OK. Normally the culprit in such cases are the ICs which scan the keyboard matrix which are on their own way to death, but in that case there were just some cold solder joints on that ICs that interfered with the keyboard scanning. I reflowed these joints and the keyboard was rock solid again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasan View Post
I would think that means if there's a bad oscillator then the system is going to pause while it attempts to adjust the oscillator to the target frequency and then fail out.
The strange thing here is that the synth is freezing, and just a failing oscillator shouldn't make the instrument locking at boot, at least on a Jupiter 6 with its stock firmware. AFAIK the synth should struggle with it for a while, then give up and proceed with the remaining VCOs. But maybe Europa modded ones behave differently in this regard, I don't know because I never got my hands on a Europa modded Jupiter 6.

Last edited by mima85; 3 weeks ago at 06:38 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yeah, I'm guessing it's a europa mod issue causing the lockup. I've never seen a synth just lock up like that.
As far as a cold joint, that could be it as well, I left the synth on overnight, which I usually don't do (but being in the middle of a project with it, I decided to keep it on while it's working) and I tried the tuning again, no issue. Could be that connection is happily connected but can wiggle out of place from vibrations while it's warm, which would explain the intermittent behavior.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could be that connection is happily connected but can wiggle out of place from vibrations while it's warm, which would explain the intermittent behavior.
I would check and eventually reflow the solder joints on the connectors too, just to be sure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I'm guessing it's a europa mod issue causing the lockup. I've never seen a synth just lock up like that.
As far as a cold joint, that could be it as well, I left the synth on overnight, which I usually don't do (but being in the middle of a project with it, I decided to keep it on while it's working) and I tried the tuning again, no issue. Could be that connection is happily connected but can wiggle out of place from vibrations while it's warm, which would explain the intermittent behavior.
If the synth hasn't been on much, it could be a small electrolytic cap on the way out. I have experenced that with an oscilator on the J6 before. Leaving the synth on for a day or two helps the cap regain some of it's strength I think. My problem went away and didn't come back.

AFAIAA the solder joints and connectons on these synths are fairly robust. Doesn't hurt to reseat the connectors, and I guess doesn't hurt to reflow the joints, but be wairy of doing too much soldering, could cause other issues (lifted pads etc).

I had one of the DACs go faulty, but the board didn't crash.

Maybe check the Europa connections and joints.

Also, check the battery.

Also, try resetting the Europa memory.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
AFAIAA the solder joints and connectons on these synths are fairly robust. Doesn't hurt to reseat the connectors, and I guess doesn't hurt to reflow the joints, but be wairy of doing too much soldering, could cause other issues (lifted pads etc).
Good call!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search