The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Universal Audio the solution for producing on a MacBook Pro
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is Universal Audio the solution for producing on a MacBook Pro

Posted in the computers section but also wanted to get perspective from you guys in here:

I have a lower end 2017 MacBook Pro.

Until now I have been producing in Ableton using Ableton plugs plus older vsts from korg, Waldorf and effects from Soundtoys.

I want to start using more CPU intensive synths like the Roland Cloud stuff as well as start using a lot more effects heavy sound design.

I dont want to upgrade my computer and I want to remain on a laptop. I am thinking about getting a UA Arrow to start exploring their effects and dynamic range and possibly follow up with the purchase of quad or octo satellite at some point over the next year.

The idea is I could still sketch out tracks on the laptop on the go using low CPU intensive options but could expand out and use the processor heavy synths and effects when I am at home using the satellite to handle all the effects.

I currently work exclusively in the box and using a dragon fly DAC for output, so getting an arrow is about all I really require. I would like to have one set of line mic inputs within the next year and would probably get the sound devices USB Pre 2 if I didn't purchase the arrow.

Would appreciate feedback on this especially if you have gone down this route.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

UAD will only power it’s own plugins, FYI. Are you hitting CPU limits now? There may have been a case 10+ years ago where offloading plugins to DSP makes sense but modern computers (please define the specs of your MacBook Pro) are much more powerful, and UAD only makes sense to me if you want to specifically use UAD plugins.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

thanks for your reply,

To give you an idea running a single 8 voice instance of the Jupiter 8 from Roland Cloud will push cpu usage to 33%. Whilst I can run two of them ill get audio drop out if I use all voices.

of course when I am just creating barebones tracks I can limit polyphony and use the low cpu usage but when I am back at home it would be good to fall back on external processing of effects and use the high end models of the synths for finishing off the tracks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
UAD will only power it’s own plugins, FYI. Are you hitting CPU limits now? There may have been a case 10+ years ago where offloading plugins to DSP makes sense but modern computers (please define the specs of your MacBook Pro) are much more powerful, and UAD only makes sense to me if you want to specifically use UAD plugins.
Although modern computers are more powerful, the demands of plugins have also increased. If you only ran the same DAW & plugins from 10+ years ago, then your point about the necessity of external DSP would make sense.

That said, the best thing about UAD these days is the Unison preamps. The workflow can be great for freeing up resources as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper View Post
thanks for your reply,

To give you an idea running a single 8 voice instance of the Jupiter 8 from Roland Cloud will push cpu usage to 33%. Whilst I can run two of them ill get audio drop out if I use all voices.

of course when I am just creating barebones tracks I can limit polyphony and use the low cpu usage but when I am back at home it would be good to fall back on external processing of effects and use the high end models of the synths for finishing off the tracks.
The Roland Cloud plugins are very poorly optimized for CPU utilization. They are at least 10X worse than any other plugin I have.

I have a mid-2015 MBP and I can run 30-80 VST plugins at the same time in Cubase with no dropouts. Everything ranging from Lexicon PCM to Waves and NI dynamics, Kontakt instruments, you name it.

The only plugins that really hit CPU in my experience are Roland Cloud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search