The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Roland Cloud still running its loyalty program
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Is the Roland Cloud still running its loyalty program

Is Roland still letting new subscribers keep one synth per year?

I ask because I am only seeing reference to it in the FAQ for existing users. There is no mention of the free synth per year on the main website.

I really like the vst reproductions of the classics but if I can't secure 2 or 3 of them permanently overtime I cannot justify the expenditure on a subscription easily.

Roland really needs to clarify this. If they are still offering this deal its a huge screwup by their sales and marketing team to not emphasize this as I am sure it will be the tipping point for many potential subscribers.
Old 21st May 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
No, it doesn’t look like it.

Cost-wise though, it’s $20/mo. With that you get a ton of synths. If those are synths you would like to use then it works out to be pretty good value. Probably less than 50p per plugin per month, at a guess.

Of course, if you only use one plugin then it gets expensive.

An alternative would be to buy a System-8 and load it with 3 plugins that you like. You can get a System-8 for only 4-years worth of Roland Cloud subscription and you always have it even if the cloud service gets removed down the line.

After 4 years it’s essentially free hardware if you think of it in comparison to the Roland cloud.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

No more loyalty program? Well that's extremely disappointing.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
No, it doesn’t look like it.

Cost-wise though, it’s $20/mo. With that you get a ton of synths. If those are synths you would like to use then it works out to be pretty good value. Probably less than 50p per plugin per month, at a guess.

Of course, if you only use one plugin then it gets expensive.

An alternative would be to buy a System-8 and load it with 3 plugins that you like. You can get a System-8 for only 4-years worth of Roland Cloud subscription and you always have it even if the cloud service gets removed down the line.

After 4 years it’s essentially free hardware if you think of it in comparison to the Roland cloud.

I honestly think it is a reasonable deal without the loyalty bonus, especially for people without other synths. The subscription system is not really different in cost than the purchase and upgrade method offered by arturia etc but rental is a bit of psychological barrier people used to the traditional model which the loyalty bonus helped to rationalize

more worrying is that I cant trust whether Roland is really committed to this program now. Are they going to continue to support this stuff in the future in the way that Korg has done with its legacy gear? Roland is pretty notorious for dropping support for computer hardware shortly after the sales cycle has been completed.

I really like these soft synths and I dont want to own a system 8 keyboard; I want my studio in my laptop wherever I go.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

It's a long-term much higher cost than buying things outright.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Arturia is 500 euro normally to purchase the set plus what 250 euro every 2-3 years to upgrade.

NI is even more.

Its not so different to be honest.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Except you're not forced to upgrade, you can stop at any time and keep what you've bought so far. Without loyalty program that enabled you to pick a plugin after a year, it's quite different.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Strange. I can't believe the goalposts are moving. Very disappointing if so and even more disappointing that there is no clarity from Roland for new and existing users.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Except you're not forced to upgrade, you can stop at any time and keep what you've bought so far. Without loyalty program that enabled you to pick a plugin after a year, it's quite different.
For sure, the loyalty program was a powerful tipping point. I wish Roland would clarify.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder who's really in control of this. Roland or Virtual Sonics?
Old 21st May 2019
Deleted c74c961
damn... wasn't planning on subbing, but got the trial (once again) at the weekend at tried out the system-1, it has some cool patches i want to try recreate on my S8 and it was a pleasure controlling the VST from the hardware.

are those who signed up before still locked into it? at least until their year is up? if not, that kind of substantiates some of the worries about subscriptions.

i guess they foresaw the business imploding once everyone "owns" their choice synths. i imagine most people are only using a one or two synths, and why would you continue subbing after you had them?
Old 21st May 2019
Well seeing as how they've never actually done anything their customers actually asked for (the entire TR line, REAL analog synths, a damn Waza Boss HM-2 already!!) its not surprising. People got the one or two synths they wanted to buy outright and quit. Seriously, who the hell wants to keep paying to use the Sound Canvas? Is this 1994? I was going to do the same thing but right when my last trial ended last month (they've given me 3 so far heh), things had changed already and in a post made around that time here it sounded like they were getting shady with even their long time subscribers and their keeper plugs.

There was a nice catch in the agreement as it is. Sure you get to keep your plugin you want after a year of paying.. And Roland specifically stated that if they ever decided to just discontinue it from the Cloud, you lost it as well. Even the plugins you own still need to use the Cloud and check in once a week so there would be no way around keeping those even if Roland decided to turn it off. Man I love the company's products but some of the things they do to its user base are just bat**** crazy. Oh well, Behringer will have the entire line people actually want cloned in no time hehe. $240 for a piece of software that could disappear when Roland gets a wild hair up their butt (that apparently isn't even an option anymore), or $3-400 for a piece of hardware that does the same thing, HANDS ON, that we've been asking Roland to re-release since oh 1990 that's gonna be around alot longer than any software will?
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Well, you CAN have multiple instances with software, much easier preset management, etc....
Old 21st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Well, you CAN have multiple instances with software, much easier preset management, etc....
Fair point hehe. "Look man I made a 12 oscillator SH-101!" On the 101 alone, it has patch management period! I can't do that on my old one haha.

The 101 is actually alright. Roland makes the standalone Plugout version of that, and if you just want the 101 its about $100 cheaper than subbing for a whole year at the cloud just to keep it. They dropped the ball there too though. If they would've kept going with the Plugout versions, I would've gladly bought the Juno, Jupiter, and first things first, the 808 and 909. And I would gladly upgrade them when new versions came out (within reason of course hehe). Subscriptions just dont make sense to me.

If Ive got a song that uses the 106 today, and Roland drops that thing a year or two from now, my song file is ruined if I didn't bounce that instrument down to an audio track. At least in the case of old/discontinued software, I archive EVERYTHING I buy and back it up religiously. Provided the authorization methods aren't gone (looking at you Waves/Arturia/NI) I can grab my old plugins/instruments and an old version of my DAW and still load those songs if I need to. Virtual Machines, and my collection of old Mac's means I can do this for awhile.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
If Ive got a song that uses the 106 today, and Roland drops that thing a year or two from now, my song file is ruined if I didn't bounce that instrument down to an audio track.
Perhaps someone could confirm... I can't check right now as I have an active subscription but I thought that when I previously opened an old song whilst OUT of subscription I was pleasantly surprised that the plugin loaded and played the track. What I couldn't do was edit the instrument.

Or did I dream that?
Old 21st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
Perhaps someone could confirm... I can't check right now as I have an active subscription but I thought that when I previously opened an old song whilst OUT of subscription I was pleasantly surprised that the plugin loaded and played the track. What I couldn't do was edit the instrument.

Or did I dream that?
That would actually be awesome if they did haha.. I THINK the demos do a white noise thing every few minutes or something like that?? They turn back into expired trial status when the sub runs out. Depending on when you opened the song, I think there is like a week grace period or something it gives you until it finally shuts off. For regular users, if the Cloud cant connect when it goes to verify, it will give you another week to go before it HAS to verify them.

At least I think this is how I remember the agreement hehe.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

After my Roland Cloud test, I've ultimately decided against using subscription models for music production.

When my Roland subscription is up next month, I'll take the 1080 (and another, if they give it to me), and that's that. Its not the same as Netflix or Spotify or other streaming services where they only offer entertainment. . . these are tools being used to create things that often come back around months/years later. It makes no sense to become dependent on monthly subscription tools if you're serious about making music. As good as they sound, there are plenty of other options out there that make more sense.

I justified the subscription test because its worth the money to have an ITB 1080 to me. I'd have paid that much for just that. Without that, there's little practical use to "stream" your music making tools.
Old 21st May 2019
I got Arturia for $99 Black Friday special. Way cheaper. Could pay more to upgrade but haven't and what I have works fine.
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear

Roland is giving %25 off this Fathers Day weekend
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
I still see the instruments that I “own” showing up in my account. It does indeed seem they aren’t offering this benefit any longer but I would imagine those who got it earlier like myself will continue to have the benefit. They can’t take it away from people who redeemed their offers or they would face a lawsuit for sure.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

I’m still subscribing. I feel like it’s worth it, but only because there have been a steady flow of new plugins that I’m interested in. I’m not too worried that they’ll drop this, because the moment they do, the rental fee stops too. I’ll print any tracks that I feel are crucial. Roland really has the pressure to keep delivering, or that revenue stream will just stop. Also, other developers will be chomping at their bits (damn, am I a wordsmith, or what? ) so if there are good alternatives to their plugins, I’ll just buy them and stop Roland Cloud. The race is on!
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m still subscribing. I feel like it’s worth it, ....The race is on!
just a cursory comment but this sounds like just about the thing i'd be LEAST likely to get excited about. :-/

subscription? like... monthly?
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Once the loyalty program went up in smoke, I have no desire to even think about paying a monthly subscription fee. Nice going Roland. Good luck with your business model and your derivatives of COSM that still sound lame (former long time V-Drums user).
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m still subscribing. I feel like it’s worth it, but only because there have been a steady flow of new plugins that I’m interested in. I’m not too worried that they’ll drop this, because the moment they do, the rental fee stops too. I’ll print any tracks that I feel are crucial. Roland really has the pressure to keep delivering, or that revenue stream will just stop. Also, other developers will be chomping at their bits (damn, am I a wordsmith, or what? ) so if there are good alternatives to their plugins, I’ll just buy them and stop Roland Cloud. The race is on!
The Cloud Plug-Ins are superb. They sound fantastic and this whole subscription moaning is getting dull now.

Loving some of the swipes on here whining about how Roland are failures.

They must be quaking in their boots at all these comments from folks who don't actually make music and just bitch on GS every day.

So tiresome.

And really quite a shame as any impressionable kids wanting to get classic Roland sounds must visit online forums for reliable advice and see all this negativity and presume it gospel.

The Cloud is well supported, sounds great, reasonably priced and stable as any software I've used.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
The Cloud Plug-Ins are superb. They sound fantastic and this whole subscription moaning is getting dull now.

Loving some of the swipes on here whining about how Roland are failures.

They must be quaking in their boots at all these comments from folks who don't actually make music and just bitch on GS every day.

So tiresome.

And really quite a shame as any impressionable kids wanting to get classic Roland sounds must visit online forums for reliable advice and see all this negativity and presume it gospel.

The Cloud is well supported, sounds great, reasonably priced and stable as any software I've used.
Honestly it's an amazing value. I get to fool around with incredible sounding plugins for the cost of 4 large americanos a month. Like what's there to complain about? It's at the cost of disposable income - when could you EVER get anything of value like this for disposable income?

If you're worried about the 106 being dropped and your song will no longer work - wait until your DAW updates 7 times and see if you can even load the original song anymore. That's why it's ridiculous to not track your VSTs. **** goes wrong in every single possible production configuration, subs or no subs, vsts or no vsts, daws or no daws.
Old 20th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Honestly it's an amazing value. I get to fool around with incredible sounding plugins for the cost of 4 large americanos a month. Like what's there to complain about? It's at the cost of disposable income - when could you EVER get anything of value like this for disposable income?

If you're worried about the 106 being dropped and your song will no longer work - wait until your DAW updates 7 times and see if you can even load the original song anymore. That's why it's ridiculous to not track your VSTs. **** goes wrong in every single possible production configuration, subs or no subs, vsts or no vsts, daws or no daws.
Depends. I would probably only want a small amount of plugins from Roland. I want to pay once and own, not keep shelling out $240 per year after year.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
wait until your DAW updates 7 times and see if you can even load the original song anymore.
Never happened with Reaper.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Maniac

When I canceled my Roland Cloud in April, I received two plugs of my choice to own, no fuss, no muss. Glad I chose the JV1080 and the Jupiter 8 plugs. Everything still working well today 2 months after discontinuing my subscription.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search