The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MSoundFactory WOWZA! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

MSoundFactory WOWZA!

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MSoundFactory

Finally had some free time to demo it. I saw a quick tutorial video that didn’t do anything for me, but my previous experience with MPowersynth (yeah, I know, this guy can’t name stuff for sh!t) was amazing, so I figured I’d give it a go. This is really remarkable... for those of you who’ve been waiting for Zebra 3 this should tide you over for a bit. Really great.

Seriously, check it out. Warning: The UI will be odd and confusing to you... at first. It’s actually pretty straight forward and clear. It’s just very different than what you’re used to.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah , but the filters suck big time , simple biquad iir filters .
They explode when audio rate modulated , and behave verry quircky ( resonace set to zero ) ...simply NOT on par with zebra's xmf filters
The developer wasn't even aware that filter FM could be reproduced accurately these days , which I think is verry odd for a dsp coder.
One would assume they keep track of what's going on , no ?
I gave him a link to vadim zavalishin's book ''árt of filter va design''' + some links to u-he , togu and cytomic ..
The developer more or less admitted his filter implementations were poor .
I love msf , for what it is ...but damn those filters ... yuk
If you analyze each module separately ,
Modal bank , only 32 partials and no option for individulaly decaying the damping factor for each band, which is imho crucial .
I made a far better sounding reaktor ensemble
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...try/show/7735/

The fm module is great , phase modulation dx style ..super
Single oscilators are also great ...phase distortion etc..
Wavetable module great ..
Option for feedback routing in the matrix .
Crossover filter for splitting audio signals etc...
Not that impressed with the stereo effects , turbodelay , reverb ...there is no way back after you drunk the vallhalla cool aid .
No doubt he's a great developer bit I feel he should spend some more time refining his algoritms , he brings out a plugin a week ( sort off)
and I feel it's more quantity over quality ...
Still contemplating if I should buy it or not ...100 euro is verry tempting ( while in beta stage that is ) .. once released it will be 300 flaps

Last edited by gentleclockdivid; 1 week ago at 01:21 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
They explode when audio rate modulated , and behave verry quircky ( resonace set to zero ) ...simply NOT on par with zebra's xmf filters
The developer wasn't even aware that filter FM could be reproduced accurately these days , which I think is verry odd for a dsp coder.
One would assume they keep track of what's going on , no ?
I gave him a link to vadim zavalishin's book ''árt of filter va design''' + some links to u-he , togu and cytomic ..
The developer more or less admitted his filter implementations were poor .
I love msf , for what it is ...but damn those filters ... yuk
If you analyze each module separately ,
Modal bank , only 32 partials and no option for individulaly decaying the damping factor for each band, which is imho crucial .
I made a far better sounding reaktor ensemble
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...try/show/7735/

The fm module is great , phase modulation dx style ..super
Single oscilators are also great ...phase distortion etc..
Wavetable module great ..
Option for feedback routing in the matrix .
Crossover filter for splitting audio signals etc...
Not that impressed with the stereo effects , turbodelay , reverb ...there is no way back after you drunk the vallhalla cool aid .
No doubt he's a great developer bit I feel he should spend some more time refining his algoritms , he brings out a plugin a week ( sort off)
and I feel it's more quantity over quality ...
Still contemplating if I should buy it or not ...100 euro is verry tempting ( while in beta stage that is ) .. once released it will be 300 flaps
I’ve not yet tried to audio rate mod the filters. I’ve got plenty that do that well, including Dune 3. (Maybe the best in terms of that on a wavetable synths?) I don’t find the filters bad, and what I do like is that he offers a ton of variety and the drive sounds great. Like maybe one of the best filter drive effects I’ve heard in software. I know there’s oversampling per module... maybe you didn’t have it on high enough to get good results. Just a guess.

I think it’s also a bit unfair to compare built in effects with separate plugins. I find the ones I checked out to be decent and what makes them great is how they’re per voice and tied to the modulation system for cool fun. I guess if you’re well versed in Reaktor, you could make these yourself, but for $99 I thought it was well worth with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
. Like maybe one of the best filter drive effects I’ve heard in software. I know there’s oversampling per module... maybe you didn’t have it on high enough to get good results. Just a guess.

Best filter drive , serious ?
It's just a simple pre-post sat.algo + hard clipper..and the filter is a simple iir biquad

Anyway , like I wrote , the developer is aware of all this and will update the filters
But they won't be zdf ,
let's wait and see
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
All right... I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I'm audio rate modulating a filter by setting an LFO to audio rate and track pitch and it sounds OK to me. Not the best... but exploding? I did start f'n around with the range (the LFOs go to 20khz!) and at high ranges, I could break it. The trick is that if you want to start doing audio rate stuff to the filter you do have to set the oversampling to very high. I agree, he should probably look into doing some work in the filter itself so you don't have to set the oversampling so high, but it is in beta and he does update things pretty regularly. I'll put in another request. He seems like a very good guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see if he implements what we're talking about.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Doesn't matter if the filter is XYZ or BLIPBLOPBLEE because there's an old saying...

If it sounds good, it is good.

That's all there is to it.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search