The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Keyboard for Travel and Solo Jams Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best Keyboard for Travel and Solo Jams

I got into piano a couple of months back, but I do go on trips from home pretty often. I am looking for a compact keyboard for travel that has a nice build and nice sound.

Honestly, I was thinking something in the 37-key to 49-key range because 25 is just silly and and higher than 49 just wouldn't be feasibly portable in the sense that I am referring.

I would also prefer for there to be on board sounds, quality over quantity.
That being said, I have an iPad Pro 2nd Gen and am open to the idea of a nice midi keyboard option to connect to my ipad synths.

Weighted keys are improbable, but would be cool. The weight would probably take away from the portability as well.

I'm rambling, I'm open to a lot honestly. Any ideas?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlong2 View Post
I got into piano a couple of months back, but I do go on trips from home pretty often. I am looking for a compact keyboard for travel that has a nice build and nice sound.

Honestly, I was thinking something in the 37-key to 49-key range because 25 is just silly and and higher than 49 just wouldn't be feasibly portable in the sense that I am referring.

I would also prefer for there to be on board sounds, quality over quantity.
That being said, I have an iPad Pro 2nd Gen and am open to the idea of a nice midi keyboard option to connect to my ipad synths.

Weighted keys are improbable, but would be cool. The weight would probably take away from the portability as well.

I'm rambling, I'm open to a lot honestly. Any ideas?
I am commuting bi-weekly from Cologne to Berlin for work. My travel keyboard is a MODX. It got loads of sounds and connects directly to Cubasis on iOS which is a great VST/AU host and sequencer.

Its a very light travel package, for a rather powerful setup.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Even though it has 61 keys I would take a look at the Roland Go:Keys or Go:Piano. These are almost as compact as some 49 key controllers but have high-quality on-board sounds and a pretty good built-in speaker system for not a lot of money.

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I am commuting bi-weekly from Cologne to Berlin for work. My travel keyboard is a MODX. It got loads of sounds and connects directly to Cubasis on iOS which is a great VST/AU host and sequencer.

Its a very light travel package, for a rather powerful setup.
Do you think you could link me the exact model? Are you referring to the 61 key MODX or the Yamaha Reface DX
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlong2 View Post
Do you think you could link me the exact model? Are you referring to the 61 key MODX or the Yamaha Reface DX
I use a 76 Key MODX, which fits into a 61 keybag due to wheels not being at the side. https://www.thomann.de/de/yamaha_modx7.htm

The 61 key might even be more compact, but i'd assume the iPad wouldnt fit as nicely on the right panel side as on the 76 key.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe a roland boutique 25m and d05 module in a soft case designed for them; would be light, easily found / replaceable, while small enough to carry on outside of overhead bag. Not so great for practice tho.

Travel with bigger keyboards kinda suck imo unless you are driving. Luggage fees, waiting for luggage to show, someone opening it and fiddling with your wires, flight cases weight, it all adds up over time .

Cheap light and overhead...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I’m really looking for something I can play in the passenger seat if a car with headphones and just jam out. I feel like I am shifted on the Yamaha Reface series or a midi controller. Any ideas from there?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
Maybe a roland boutique 25m and d05 module in a soft case designed for them; would be light, easily found / replaceable, while small enough to carry on outside of overhead bag. Not so great for practice tho.

Travel with bigger keyboards kinda suck imo unless you are driving. Luggage fees, waiting for luggage to show, someone opening it and fiddling with your wires, flight cases weight, it all adds up over time .

Cheap light and overhead...
This is actually a really cool idea I hadn’t thought of thank you! Do you think this would be preferable over a Reface CP or CS? Or maybe a midi controller for my ipad? Again, thinking along the lines of jam sessions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Make sure you're comfortable playing on mini keys before getting a keyboard with them. It's defintiely not the same as playing on a full-size keyboard.

Cheap but portable and pretty good for a toy (but not very good at all compared to "real" musical instruments) is the Casio SA-76. The keyboard action is not great, I'll admit; it takes some practice to be able to play the black keys in particular with reasonable success. Unusually for these sorts of kid's keyboards, it can be fine-tuned and it has eight notes of polyphony, both of which make it much more useful musically.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search