The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
suitcase rig Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

suitcase rig

alright, so you have to fit a little synth etc studio in a suitcase.
what are you going to put in there?

not saying how big the suitcase is: be practical.

it could be two suitcases, being realistic. (cables'n's***)
(extra points for just one case)

computer travels separately.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
alright, so you have to fit a little synth etc studio in a suitcase.
what are you going to put in there?

not saying how big the suitcase is: be practical.

it could be two suitcases, being realistic. (cables'n's***)
(extra points for just one case)

computer travels separately.
Already got my suitcase synth...
Attached Thumbnails
suitcase rig-mybuchlamusiceasel.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

this is my (almost) actual rig. all gear chosen with touring in mind (and multitrack recording every gig!).
the only piece left to buy is Electribe 2.

coffin #0:
Zoom LiveTrak L-12
cables
PSUs
Axolotis

coffin #1:
Electribe 2
Novation Nova Laptop
Blofeld
Arturia Beatstep
Launchpad Pro
Squarp Pyramid
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
Axolotis
what do the axolotis do ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
what do the axolotis do ?
supplementary MIDI i/o tasks
sample playback
metronome signal to earphones when i need (lifehack for easier playing polyrhythms live)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I take most of this stuff in a backpack. iPad, O Coast & necessary bits and pieces have been across the globe in carry on luggage.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

lol SK1 is my first thought (not)
likewise, don't think i'd give space to both beatstep and keystep.
and: as soon as you chuck an ipad in there, it skews the argument.
(viz:"computer travels separately")

@ chaocrator
would be good (separately, other thread) to see what you did with the axolotis (if your design)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol SK1 is my first thought (not)
likewise, don't think i'd give space to both beatstep and keystep.
and: as soon as you chuck an ipad in there, it skews the argument.
(viz:"computer travels separately")
Technically a lot of things are computers. I could use an Organelle or an Axoloti to do the same stuff I use the ipad for.

SK1 could potentially ride along but 99% of the time it wont. I just didn't feel like taking a fresh picture for you.

Beatstep & Keystep are used for very different purposes so that's why I will take both.
Old 1 week ago
My live setup is stored in one case, plus a bag for cables which varies in size.
You can see it in the pic (from 2012 I think). The music is mostly improvised atmospheric, ambient, droney soundscapes.
The content of instruments and FX varies as well, at the moment I am in the process of constructing a new setup, and I'm aiming for two cases and a setup time of no more than half an hour, for 16 channels of instruments/toys plus a five-channel DUDE sub-mixer with even more toys.
My mixer is a Boss BX-16 (yes, there is some noise), my instruments vary from Yamaha Reface CS, SOMA Lyra-8 and Ether, Folktek Elysian Drum Scape and Resonant Garden, Nintendo DS with Electroplankton, LOM Elektrosluch and Phonicbloom Glo to buddha boxes, a Trump sequencer (by CyclicEyeclix) and an electronic tea light (yes, that makes some sound as well!). And a Yamaha Tenori-on, a japanese SUIKO-50, Bastl Kastle (x2), Indian Tanpura box, a Sounds of Nature (see my only Gearslutz review). Oh, and of course an ancient iPad running Fugue Machine, running through a Zoom Player 2020.
Other FX: Neunaber Stereo Wet, EHX Grand Canyon and Mod Rex, Alesis Bitrman, Ampliton and Philtre, tek.filter (x2), FAB Echo (modified), Boss VT-1 and some others.
Of course, not all of this will fit in the main case, but I'll do my best. And I'm already thinking of constructing a second, identical case (I even have a second BX-16) for the more melodic/rhythmical stuff.

My next gig is next Friday - hope for the best!

Cheers,
Bert
Attached Thumbnails
suitcase rig-feinstrom-live-osnabrueck.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
would be good (separately, other thread) to see what you did with the axolotis (if your design)
what's important in this thread context is getting the 3rd physical MIDI Out of Squarp Pyramid (which can't be USB host) via Axoloti (which can, and adds less than 1.5 milliseconds of latency to MIDI stream in the worst case), cheaper than other USB_host-to-MIDI_DIN solutions, and provides additional functions.

so, each sound generating gear (Nova, Blofeld, Electribe 2) gets its own physical MIDI port.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just put together my "Going to Idylwild for a long weekend" bag - 17 in laptop bag with digitakt, digitone, and jp08, headphones, zoom hr1. not in the bag are portable power and a small rechargeable speaker.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I used to use a reface dx that had an external in that was fed both a teenage engineering speak and the drum one, it was really portable, sounded great, and I could hang it all on a guitar strap to sit in the park.. all that is gone now and I just use a opz with some in ear headphones, the opz case and cables, also o have the oplab module installed for when I get home.. I love it so much is almost as good as having my whole studio in my pocket.. it sounds great! Is insane how technology has come.. when u was a kid's could have never imagined something like this, especially that actually sounds incredible too, crazy times in music gear..
I can't wait for the next update and I can actually sample the mic on it, it feels like cheating..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search