The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Midi Interface MIDI Processors
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best Midi Interface

Hi,

I've been looking at the iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ and it really got my attention. What I need is at least 3 midi ports, because I have several devices that are hardcoded on the same midi channel and I don't want them to receive the same CC messages at the same time.
I do however need a very tight clock as well, I have several sequencers and drum machines running and they need a tight clock. This had been a problem so far with using the midi out from my Focusrite. A lot of jitter coming from the Ableton clock.

Does anyone have experience with the iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+? Or any other MIDI interfaces they can recommend? Is it tight enough to clock a bunch of gear to?
I was also looking at the E-RM multi clock. I read it can also transmit cc info (how though, because it uses an audio in for the clock, does it transfer cc messages as well through the audio signal?), but it has four midi throughs, not different ports. So it wouldn't be enough for me.
Could I send the midi clock from the E-rm to one of my midi ins on a MIDI interface? Will my devices receive tight clock and cc messages? Or should I use the midi out from the E-rm only to go to the drum machines and sequencers? Or how does this work? (Still somewhat learning how midi communicates)

Thanks in advance!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Welcome to Gearslutz. I recommend doing a search on those pieces of hardware.
There are users here and some very well informed threads which will help you answer your questions.
By asking and answering on those threads you'll benefit future users.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have the 10 port version of that and it's been pretty bulletproof so far.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks! So no need to get the extra E-RM Multiclock? Sweet!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijsvanstaen View Post
sounds like that device is intended to shuffle the midi clock for various devices - to basically let you purposely "swing" your devices out of sync with eachother, and back into sync, as an effect. It's definitely not necessary just to sync your devices midi clocks. It's for doing fancy midi sync manipulation type stuff.

I suspect it's not actually a true audio input you're looking at on there, but rather an analog "trigger" input, which is what was used in older equipment prior to midi, either a gate or trigger, or sometimes din sync, which used the same jack as midi but only provided a clock signal. It looks like the input jack on there is actually capable of accepting both a din sync, or midi signal, and the "audio jack" expects a 24ppq sync signal of some sort.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
sounds like that device is intended to shuffle the midi clock for various devices - to basically let you purposely "swing" your devices out of sync with eachother, and back into sync, as an effect.
Yes, it can shuffle the clock for each output but the best feature of the Multiclock is the ability to finely adjust the clock sent to each device so that you can account for start-up lag and such. It is also very useful for nudging synths into 'the pocket'. Sounds with a fast vs slow attack will need slightly different offsets to the master clock to sound 'tight'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
I suspect it's not actually a true audio input you're looking at on there, but rather an analog "trigger" input, which is what was used in older equipment prior to midi, either a gate or trigger, or sometimes din sync, which used the same jack as midi but only provided a clock signal.
Sort of - it is an audio trigger that is generated by the ERM Plugin from an audio track. That trigger is an audio sample. The CC's and other Midi messages are transmitted over USB and given lower priority than the clock. Notes and CC are not guaranteed to be sample accurate like the clock.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbyroad View Post
Welcome to Gearslutz. I recommend doing a search on those pieces of hardware.
There are users here and some very well informed threads which will help you answer your questions.
By asking and answering on those threads you'll benefit future users.
This ^^^ - I just went through this process and for an 8 in/8 out I settled on the Elyseum U3-88c HERE. Apparently Kenton is about to release something interesting (see this forum).
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijsvanstaen View Post
If you need tight, reliable MIDI Clock then yes you need the E-RM Multiclock. MIDI Clock from your DAW over USB is inherently not reliable.

So aside from being able to adjust MIDI Clock going to the 4 output ports you'll get a stable predictable baseline for your MIDI Clock when using the Multiclock.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search