The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Squarp Pyramids Euclid Stepmode VS NDLR? MIDI Processors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Squarp Pyramids Euclid Stepmode VS NDLR?

Which would be more endlessly creative?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Aren't they really different?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

That’s the thing are they truly different

The pyramid is a full fledged sequencer

But.....the NDLR is kind cool in its execution
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The NDLR (and Kordbot and Zillion - have/had all three) are great at generating things you can record *into* another sequencer. The Pyramid is a very good sequencer with a euclidean mode.

Note that with a simple Excel macro or some scripting tool you can generate euclidean patterns yourself.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
The NDLR (and Kordbot and Zillion - have/had all three) are great at generating things you can record *into* another sequencer. The Pyramid is a very good sequencer with a euclidean mode.

Note that with a simple Excel macro or some scripting tool you can generate euclidean patterns yourself.
when you say generating do you mean another method that they use to euclidean?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Threadjack Alert:

Of those 3, which did you keep? Why/why not?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajor Hill View Post
when you say generating do you mean another method that they use to euclidean?
There's nothing magic about euclidean patterns. There's technical/ scientific write ups since the original application was not for music/ rhythm.

I wrote some code to generate the same patterns as the Pyramid last year. I can post them Monday if there's any interest
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Can the NDLR can be chained like this - MIDI out into Cirklon MIDI in and then you can select your synth in the cirklon, get an idea going in NDLR and record the idea into Cirklon?

Curious if that is possible. I have read that Pyramid into Cirklon does not work very well. Something about the CC’s not recording, even in CK mode.

But if the NDLR can be recorded into the Cirklon, that would be amazing. Especially all the modulation you can do with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Can the NDLR can be chained like this - MIDI out into Cirklon MIDI in and then you can select your synth in the cirklon, get an idea going in NDLR and record the idea into Cirklon?

Curious if that is possible. I have read that Pyramid into Cirklon does not work very well. Something about the CC’s not recording, even in CK mode.

But if the NDLR can be recorded into the Cirklon, that would be amazing. Especially all the modulation you can do with it.
Sold the Cirklon before the NDLR showed up, so can't answer directly, but it should be fine. I can test next week w the QY700.

One thing I don't remember - can the Cirklon do multitimbral recording? The NDLR can generate 4 MIDI streams on 4 different channels. The QY can record all 16 MIDI channels and automatically split them out to separate tracks; don't remember if the Cirklon can do the same.

To answer the other question - Kordbot and Zillion were sold mainly due to some bugs/quirks and/or features missing/ hard to use. YMMV. Not saying the NDLR is permanent either; just haven't had a lot of free time to really delve into it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sold the Cirklon before the NDLR showed up, so can't answer directly, but it should be fine. I can test next week w the QY700.

One thing I don't remember - can the Cirklon do multitimbral recording? The NDLR can generate 4 MIDI streams on 4 different channels. The QY can record all 16 MIDI channels and automatically split them out to separate tracks; don't remember if the Cirklon can do the same.

To answer the other question - Kordbot and Zillion were sold mainly due to some bugs/quirks and/or features missing/ hard to use. YMMV. Not saying the NDLR is permanent either; just haven't had a lot of free time to really delve into it.
I dont think Cirklon does Multitimbral, but for me that would not be a problem.

I have another option where I could use my ERM multiclock to sync clock to the NDLR and let it just control my synths that way. But to have everything in the Cirklon would be awesome. Basically I'd want to be able to leverage the modulation, but I think I could record all that into a CK pattern if the instrument defs are created. That's what I am not sure about.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search