The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Colored EQ's vs. surgical EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Colored EQ's vs. surgical EQ

Hey, so I have typically only used surgical EQ's and colored with saturation and compressors etc... I don't know why but analog Neve emulations and stuff like that always seemed better suited to rock music than electronic. Now I'm rethinking that a bit. Does anyone on here use colored analog type EQ's for general EQ stuff, like doing high and low passes, and then something like ProQ for surgical?

Just wondering what people think about using tools like that for EDM.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not much EDM here, but many people use some EQs because "it feels right" and other EQs because there's something small to fix. Music should make you feel it. Making music you have to make that happen - it's more convincing if you feel it first.
Old 1 week ago
As I see it, EQ and HPF/LPF is about clearing up mud and clashes of each source so the frequencies play nice together.

In a general sense, a good example of an uncolored / surgical EQ and HPF/LPF is the new speck eqf 810 that I plan on using on vocals, while the API 550A at +12DB with only 2 DB increments that I use on synths every day is very colored.
Old 1 week ago
HSi
Lives for gear

If you use a plug in like Equilibrium you can have both, to some degree, you can have surgical precision, all FIR impulses and use modeled SSL or API 550 curves...

I'll general only use a surgical eq if i cant fix it with a none-paragraphic one or if I need a filter at more than 12db. I find the graph distracting.

To answer your question, millions of records have been mixed with 3 or 4 band eqs..

It doesn't matter what music is the frequencies don't care and will act the same..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search