The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can a bass synth ever outdo an electric bass guitar ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I watched a flowset with my squirrelfriend once.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyhow here's the slutty answer:

1. Buy a bass guitar. Never use the normal pickups
2. Buy a Roland bass-midi pickup and midi converter
3. Buy a mono synth per string. Maybe get some modular for max modulation
4. Buy a load of midi cables and a midi patchbay to manage all the midi
5. Buy an SSL six to put the monos through
6. Employ that kemper dude to tune the mono hyperparameters to sound exactly like a bass guitar
7. Show everyone how awesome your setup is that sounds exactly like a bass
8. Let all the equipment gather dust and then sell it all because it's too complicated
9. Play a bass guitar
Old 1 week ago

I've yet to see a synth do this...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

For some songs yes and for some no! Which is why it doesn't hurt to learn how to play multiple instruments.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Bass!

As both a bass guitarist and keyboard player, I say there's a world of difference, at least in the live performance aspect.

Bass guitar rules for groove, locking in with the drums, and moving the dancers on the floor.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, two quite different things. Some lines conceived on bass guitar really wouldn't sound right on a synth bass, and vice versa. Synth bass of course is always great for lines that are sort of repetitive and relentless, the kind of thing that would become tedious to play on bass guitar.

Having said that, I often end up playing lines on synth bass that aren't a huge departure from what I would've played on bass guitar. Seems like when I do lay down a synth bass, it's often a Mini-type bass because it's still about the best type of synth bass sound for busy, roving bass lines with lots of slides and vibrato. I guess I tend to think like a bass player even when playing lines on keys.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Any videos of someone attempting acid on a bass guitar?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrophit View Post
Any videos of someone attempting acid on a bass guitar?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
No. But with a slight shift in style, keyboards are a great bass part. The doors pulled that off well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
^kinda. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
No. But with a slight shift in style, keyboards are a great bass part. The doors pulled that off well.
Only live though. The Doors recordings used a studio bassist.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Say what?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No, they're different instruments that both can take care of the bottom spectrum of the musical scape. I'd prefer being a gifted bass player than a genius TB303 programmer though! Real instruments are so expressive they go beyond the composition part of the music.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Major props to that bass player. At times really groovy / funky / acid-y.

Those 303 lines tho.... squelchy funk that make you wanna move.

Goes to show it's not only the lines, but the delivery that counts.

I vote 303 > bass guitar this round.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
So you feel comfortable saying that you could duplicate what the bassist in the video is doing with a sampler and a keyboard ?
Apart from a curiosity, or producers saving time and money on demos or ultra cheap productions, nobody wants to.

Synth bass sounds good in its own right. This is a non issue, lol.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

for articulation and expression, I'll say no. for example,.Jan Hammer is great, but doesn't approach a really proficient guitarist. in my opinion, the swill be.true for bass.

HOWEVER, there are applications in which a live bass player is not going.to be enough. consider Bernie Worrell and Bootsy Collins' collaborative bass on Parliament Funkadelic's Flashlight. without a Moog bassline, that branch of funk would not have been possible. another good example is David Bowie's Let's Dance, which alternates among measures between live bass and synth bass (don't know the instrument).

it would be.fun to post our attempts. I don't play bass but was ALWAYS trying.to imitate live bass articulation! my dream was to play bass in a live band.using only a keytar. no lie! I did it exactly once using a DX100 midi'd to a VZ8m, because NO LEFT-HANDED KEYTARS.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Hmm, yeah IF you have a Roland SH-2 handy, that is.
All you need is a synth with an ADSR envelope to do it. The PWM isn't necessary it just does the "compressed" part of the sound.

The simpler "electric bass" only requires an AD

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post

Say what?
Here's Ray talking about the bassline in Riders on the storm

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
The studio bassist just doubled the keyboard parts though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

At the rate these types of threads are popping up we will need a I Hate Electronic Music Production & Instruments sub-forum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There's a Source Audio spokesbassist who was demonstrating dubstep wubs with a bass guitar and a Hot Hand device. EHX just came out with YET ANOTHER pedal to make your bass sound like a synth! So I guess all's fair in love and war and bass, and the times have been a-changin'.

It's actually backwards from the thread title. Right now, at this point in time, everyone wants to sound like a synth. But it wont last. Once the bar hits rock bottom (when synth slap bass is the flavor of the day), it will have nowhere to go but up. But I'm hoping rock bottom is a false-bottom treasure chest full of even more synth bass.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
There's a Source Audio spokesbassist who was demonstrating dubstep wubs with a bass guitar and a Hot Hand device. EHX just came out with YET ANOTHER pedal to make your bass sound like a synth! So I guess all's fair in love and war and bass, and the times have been a-changin'.

It's actually backwards from the thread title. Right now, at this point in time, everyone wants to sound like a synth. But it wont last. Once the bar hits rock bottom (when synth slap bass is the flavor of the day), it will have nowhere to go but up. But I'm hoping rock bottom is a false-bottom treasure chest full of even more synth bass.
The pedals are very cool, but the response is not the same. For example, I think the best one is the Future Impact, but I still have to adjust my play style for it. I also normally just shake notes with my fingers for vibrato but the bass synth pedals don't really register that sound so you actually lose a lot of expression. Don't get me wrong, I still use them, and they are cool but the most "playable" one for me is still my old Boss OC-2.

So for synth bass in the studio I use synths, but if I need something live in a pinch, the future impact is fantastic. It just requires a different technique and ironically, I find playing a bass synth to be more expressive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
At the rate these types of threads are popping up we will need a I Hate Electronic Music Production & Instruments sub-forum.
OP here. This thread has nothing to do with "hatred" of anything. Funny (not really) how any type of alternative view of anything, diverging opinion, slightest difference in belief, is labelled "hate" of the mainstay position.

And btw, I consider myself a full-fledged electronic musician.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
It's simple really, and should be pretty self-evident. Check your ego at the door.

For some music, you need the expression and performance of an electric bass guitar.

For other music, a synth bass is what's needed.

Once in awhile, they're interchangeable, or substituting one for the other can cause jaws to drop.

Sometimes you need a grand piano, sometimes chiptunes will do. It all depends...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
I think it depends not just on the track but also on the role the "synth bass" is playing and the specifics of the sound.

There's some great synth bass lines (Herbie Hancock's Chameleon springs to mind straight away), and as a keyboard/synth player I have no issue with synth bass per se.

Personally I like it less when the synth or sample is an attempt to sound like a bass than when it is clearly something that has its own vibe.

I have attempted to imitate bass guitar in the past (to do some parts I could not play on bass myself) but since then I have used a session player to do those parts and not regretted it - the results are so much better.

Examples of my past efforts. These were played in on the keyboard using samples and run through an amp sim.

https://eyesofetherea.bandcamp.com/track/fractaldactyl
https://eyesofetherea.bandcamp.com/track/retropod
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
someone ring up tommy jenks and ask him
imho a real bass is the cats titts and tuff to beat
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherealise View Post
... Examples of my past efforts. These were played in on the keyboard using samples and run through an amp sim.

https://eyesofetherea.bandcamp.com/track/fractaldactyl
https://eyesofetherea.bandcamp.com/track/retropod
pretty cool, nice tunes.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
pretty cool, nice tunes.
Cheers!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Once in awhile, they're interchangeable, or substituting one for the other can cause jaws to drop.
When I read that, an example that came to mind was Madonna's "Bad Girl". The studio version had a droning synth bass (sounded a lot like Taurus pedals) playing roots and a few passing tones. Then she did it live on SNL and had a bassist tearing it up on fretless and it just took that song to another level.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

For live? Very hard....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search