The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which of these would you buy? RME Interface or Tascam Mixer
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Which of these would you buy? RME Interface or Tascam Mixer

So I've run out of inputs and I need to be honest with myself, the gear acquisition is not stopping any time soon. So instead of adding another 8 inputs I'm looking to expand my options and leave room for further unnecessary synth purchases. I have after much time narrowed it down to these two similarly priced options.

1. RME Digiface, with probably 3 Behringer ADA8200. This would give me 24 ins and 24 outs with the option of purchasing another pre amp if necessary to go to 32 in and 32 out.

2. Tascam Model 24. This obviously gives me 22 inputs and cant be expanded but it does give me things like eq and it looks a lot sexier.

Both these choices end up at about the same price when I factor in buying a rack for the pre amps. They also kinda take up the same amount of space. The RME option gives me more inputs but the Tascam looks beautiful.

What do I do?
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luzon View Post
So I've run out of inputs and I need to be honest with myself, the gear acquisition is not stopping any time soon. So instead of adding another 8 inputs I'm looking to expand my options and leave room for further unnecessary synth purchases. I have after much time narrowed it down to these two similarly priced options.

1. RME Digiface, with probably 3 Behringer ADA8200. This would give me 24 ins and 24 outs with the option of purchasing another pre amp if necessary to go to 32 in and 32 out.

2. Tascam Model 24. This obviously gives me 22 inputs and cant be expanded but it does give me things like eq and it looks a lot sexier.

Both these choices end up at about the same price when I factor in buying a rack for the pre amps. They also kinda take up the same amount of space. The RME option gives me more inputs but the Tascam looks beautiful.

What do I do?
I bought the RME Fireface 802. I can add more channels via SPID/F. I love how reliable the RME is. It destroys my UAD in that regard. Super low latency as well, and I can run it at 64 buffer 24/7. Does this matter to you? If so I would research the Tascam drivers and see how reliable they are.

So I now have 12 Ins and I can expand that further,which I may do if I add another ROMpler or something like that. For me the RME sounds nice and neutral and the converters translate great when I ship stems off to get mixed in a studio.

Yes, the mixer looks sexy to have, but the RME software mixer is super easy to use and takes 2 seconds while saving me the space.
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Yeah the RME drivers are legendary, that might be the sensible option
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Addict

I am more productive with a mixer than I am with an audio interface. If u are the same way then go with the mixer.
Old 15th May 2019
M32
Lives for gear
The ADA8200 would certainly be the weakpoint in that first setup. They really aren't that great.
RME Preamps and Totalmix software/dsp are worth the money.

I think you will prefer the Tascam mixer. It's nice though, i didn't know they still made analog mixers like this one. Looks classy, too.
If you're mostly OTB, the drivers and latency are less important. And Tascam preamps will certainly be better than the Behringers.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luzon View Post

What do I do?
I use a Fireface 400 and one ADA8200. Works like a charm. The Tascam is just going to take space away from possible synthesizers and effects.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search