The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PolySix Clone, Behringer? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

PolySix Clone, Behringer?

I made a PolySix clone rendering in the same dimensions as the Behringer Neutron. There are some new features squeezed in. Rotary encoders instead of regular pots for better visual call back of presets and also making each knob double function (with the option button down to the left). Some features are inspired from popular retrofits and some new. I personally would love the modulation matrix. What do you think, shouldn't it be a nice fit with all other new old synths?

Edit: How I intended the Modulation Matrix to work: Press and hold one of the Green Mod Source button and then press one or more targets. For example: press and hold EG (source) and then press (target) VCA and VCF. Now EG are assigned to modulate VCA and VCF. To clear modulation connections; press the Blue Option Key and then press either a mod source OR target button and that will break all assigned mod connections.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks shopped...

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Wow, awesome job. As a former Polysix owner I would pre-order this day one. They sound great but the second-hand prices are straight up stupid.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdhenn View Post
Wow, awesome job.
It's going to get harder to tell so quickly with those skills, should sw_ ever intentionally play us...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
It's going to get harder to tell so quickly with those skills, should sw_ ever intentionally play us...
What do you mean?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_ View Post
What do you mean?
If someone with your skills did a fake leak...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
If someone with your skills did a fake leak...
Haha, I take that as a compliment! But rest assured, Behringer or Korg or any other manufacturer has no part in this. I thought I made it clear in the first post that I did this. And mostly because I love the PolySix and I wanted to see if the panel layout would work in a small enclosure without losing that old classic Korg feeling and creative workflow.

But please, do tag anything or anyone at Behringer and maybe they'll consider a PolySix clone in the future!?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This probably won’t ever be done but you should get hired.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Those renders look exquisite. Cinema4D?

I'd honestly put some stuff on the back of the unit; Euroracking the Model D serves a more practical purpose since it can be a single voice in a modular setup. Since the top of this sticks out a bit it would be more challenging to do this; and if you're going go use it as a desktop anyway, some parts can be put on the back, freeing up more space in front.

I'd swap the AT/Mod positions with the envelope generator so all modulation sources are grouped together.

e: the more I look at it, the more I love the little details. Spectacular job.

e2: the display can be made cheaper by using a generic 3x7segment. For the banks, use lowercase letters like on the Volca
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, I take that as a compliment! But rest assured, Behringer or Korg or any other manufacturer has no part in this. I thought I made it clear in the first post that I did this. And mostly because I love the PolySix and I wanted to see if the panel layout would work in a small enclosure without losing that old classic Korg feeling and creative workflow.

But please, do tag anything or anyone at Behringer and maybe they'll consider a PolySix clone in the future!?
You made it perfectly clear in your first post and yes please take it as a complement. You are very talented....

The Photoshop gag of mine is a little in joke as some do these to tease...

I hope you get some good feedback from Uli...
Old 1 week ago
Theres a "what synth should behringer make next" thread
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Those renders look exquisite. Cinema4D?

I'd honestly put some stuff on the back of the unit; Euroracking the Model D serves a more practical purpose since it can be a single voice in a modular setup. Since the top of this sticks out a bit it would be more challenging to do this; and if you're going go use it as a desktop anyway, some parts can be put on the back, freeing up more space in front.

I'd swap the AT/Mod positions with the envelope generator so all modulation sources are grouped together.

e: the more I look at it, the more I love the little details. Spectacular job.

e2: the display can be made cheaper by using a generic 3x7segment. For the banks, use lowercase letters like on the Volca
Thanks soo much! I made this in Blender and I really love the fact that you took time to look at it. I placed all rotary encoders and pots on the lower part of the panel and placed buttons on the extruded upper part. So in profile the upper part should stick out about the same.

It was suuuch a mindbend to get the positioning of the stuff in a logical and practical order. A swap of AT/Mod might cool. And sure, maybe a regular desktop version would be cooler but... I kind of like the size of the Neutron too. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Cool! And I definitely think should do a P6!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

renders....??? FMD looks real to me..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Cool! And I definitely think should do a P6!
I looked for a polysix a couple of years back, with a semi decent budget but the ones on sale were so beaten up. Other synths from that era seemed to fair much much better. Unless you were willing to pay top dollar you got a lot of rust and wonky buttons.

With the karp and the MS Im surprised korg never reissued a similar version. Your rendering looks fantastic, and Im having a break from all things behringer anyway, but its one synth Id really like to see with keys, a desktop just doesnt seem to do it justice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It looks awesome!! I wish this was real!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Very interesting. Love it.

But I suggested something similar in a devoted thread recently and was ridiculed off the road for daring to ask such a question involving yet another Behringer thread.??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It looks awesome!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Funny enough, with the bizzare popularity of 4 voice poly and paraphonic synths as of late I was going to suggest a Behr Mono/Poly in a Neutron form factor (with a patch panel). Korg even mooted a possible Mono/Poly reissue but I've heard nary a peep since last year's social media fishing exercise.

Having recently got a M/P after being a Polysix owner for a decade+ I realized the M/P was the girl I was truly in love with and I was 'settling' for the Poly6.

Love your 'Polysixtron' render though. My only suggestion would be physical slide/toggle switches per the original as much as you can, especially for the arp functions and arp range. While a momentary button and LED scheme looks cool it's a real drag to press multiple times to get to the selection you want, especially playing live (The Akai AX-60 does this for it's arp and LFO and it's maddening). For the Mono/Poly's LFO waveform selection it *needs* a real switch because you can combine two neighbor waveforms into a double-speed hybrid (letting you exceed the standard LFO speed) by jamming the switch in between selections.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Funny enough, with the bizzare popularity of 4 voice poly and paraphonic synths as of late I was going to suggest a Behr Mono/Poly in a Neutron form factor (with a patch panel). Korg even mooted a possible Mono/Poly reissue but I've heard nary a peep since last year's social media fishing exercise.

Having recently got a M/P after being a Polysix owner for a decade+ I realized the M/P was the girl I was truly in love with and I was 'settling' for the Poly6.

Love your 'Polysixtron' render though. My only suggestion would be physical slide/toggle switches per the original as much as you can, especially for the arp functions and arp range. While a momentary button and LED scheme looks cool it's a real drag to press multiple times to get to the selection you want, especially playing live (The Akai AX-60 does this for it's arp and LFO and it's maddening). For the Mono/Poly's LFO waveform selection it *needs* a real switch because you can combine two neighbor waveforms into a double-speed hybrid (letting you exceed the standard LFO speed) by jamming the switch in between selections.
I never had a M/P but sure wish I did! I wanted to keep the design as true to the original as possible, and therefore the use of momentary buttons with a led indicator. I think that's logical too since I think of the PolySix as more of a "preset synth" than a hardcore noodler synth. But with that said all "creative functions" are dedicated one-function-per-knobs. Only secondary functions are assignable with the same rotary encoder but with the Blue Option button, down to the left, pressed. I think this layout would be a fair trade off to avoid the horrors of navigating in LCD-menues. In this case all(!) parameters are visible at all times -even after loading a preset.

Edit: Haha, I have to clarify just because I'm so bad explaining. All secondary functions are labeled with blue text above the rotary encoders. So for example the OCTAVE knob and the VCO WAVEFORM have the same knob -it's just that you need to hold down the blue OPTION button do dial in the waveform of choice. So it's aaaalmost one-function-per-knob...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes, it would be really good if Behri jumps on some vintage Korgs, too... P6, M/P and Trident would be really dope.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

would match with coolaudios announcement of ssm2044 chips
for me now not so important, have 2 original.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, it would be really good if Behri jumps on some vintage Korgs, too... P6, M/P and Trident would be really dope.
+100 Trident
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'd be happy already with a Trident flanger.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Yep nice render.. mod please can you merge this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Yep nice render.. mod please can you merge this?
Or at least keep the Korg/Behringer thing by linking with the thread I stated the other day Behringer A vintage Korg poly please Uli!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Beautiful work, but the tiering is going to be a bit awkward when it's racked I think you could keep it if you made the step about 1/3rd the size, to give room for the voice LEDs) and then angled the bottom section so it rose to meet level with the top tier? Plus.. I suspect Behringer would more likely want to make a unified PCB to reduce manufacturing costs. In a flat surface configuration maybe they could go in the output section. A triangular cluster would work well for 6 (1/2/3) and maybe be more interesting to watch than a line (like on DM) anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks dope AF and I also own the real deal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great render! Needs to be the Trident and in a DM12 module footprint.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search