The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation Summit
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Novation Big Peak

16 Voices 2200 Euro

Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting, but this is one Summit I wont be reaching for.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Why 2 timbrality and not 3 or 5?

To every poly-synth-builder out there... have a look at Rolands JD800 from the early 90's to see how the organisation has to be done. Or its modern, glossy, spiritual successor.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
Interesting, but this is one Summit I wont be reaching for.
It's a double peak somewhere between the summit
the next one will probably be called everest
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Head

Twin Peak
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

ok he has four LFO

Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

To every poly-synth-builder out there... have a look at Rolands JD800 from the early 90's .

It's almost like GS has bots that will automatically comment on every new synth thread asking for multi-timbral operation regardless of the synth's technology.... this is not a digital sample-based machine !
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post

It's almost like GS has bots that will automatically comment on every new synth thread asking for multi-timbral operation regardless of the synth's technology.... this is not a digital sample-based machine !
It is a polyphonic multitimbral digital synth with 16 voices. Why is its timbrality only 2? Its an artificial number, so there has to be a reason for 2. I ask what reason is there..
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
It is a polyphonic multitimbral digital synth with 16 voices. Why is its timbrality only 2? Its an artificial number, so there has to be a reason for 2. I ask what reason is there..
exactly .. could also be 32
with its own diving menu
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Evidently they're hoping that opening multiple threads on the same subject may make a difference?

Thread merge, mods?
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Evidently they're hoping that opening multiple threads on the same subject may make a difference?

Thread merge, mods?
yes merge. but reptil is in gemania..
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Sweet. Sounds like they listened to requests. Hopefully this sells well for them.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
exactly .. could also be 32
with its own diving menu
Hence my hint with the JD synths, where it is buttons.

Hence my hint with the 3 or 5 .. so its not 32 buttons.

It takes some efforts to misunderstand my posts the way you guys do. Still no one tried to answer the actual and repeated question: Why 2?
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

first sounddemo

Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Because it's bloody useful. And it doesn't matter if it's a digital sample-based machine or an analogue synth or a VA when the commands are digital.

At least 4 part should be the norm at that price today. If each voice is a separate VCOs/VCF/VCA chip with digital commands then the issue is purely a software one, not a hardware one. And Novation knows how to do it, the Supernova had 8 parts. Instead of adding gimmicks, how about these constructors allow us to layer more patches to make more complex sounds instead?

Off course, constructors want us to buy more synths, not less that would do more .
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can basically clone the entire circuit board once again, switch both of 'm on at the same time, and only have an "A" engine and a "B" engine. That would require only a minor software tweak. Make a mix output, A and B outputs plus separate volume controls (or even a crossfade control); done. Cheapest way, least R&D needed.

The Peak is not multitimbral right now; implementing multitimbrality may be a lot of effort. You'll have to think about effects routing and individual parts routing and internal mixing and how to expose these in the UI.

I honestly think it's the cheapest option for Novation to do this; and there is of course precedent. The CS80 is the CS60 times two; the Prophet 10 is two Prophet 5s bolted together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Because it's bloody useful. And it doesn't matter if it's a digital sample-based machine or an analogue synth or a VA when the commands are digital.
It matters a bit, I'd say.

(Limited) multitimbrality has become less of a dealbreaker for me now that audio recording in a DAW is ubiquitous. In the early 00s when everything was MIDI, it was important; or more correctly, monotimbrality was more costly. Nowadays, not so much.

Of course, if you're working DAWless, it's a different matter
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You can basically clone the entire circuit board once again, switch both of 'm on at the same time, and only have an "A" engine and a "B" engine. That would require only a minor software tweak. Make a mix output, A and B outputs plus separate volume controls (or even a crossfade control); done. Cheapest way, least R&D needed.

The Peak is not multitimbral right now; implementing multitimbrality may be a lot of effort. You'll have to think about effects routing and individual parts routing and internal mixing and how to expose these in the UI.

I honestly think it's the cheapest option for Novation to do this; and there is of course precedent. The CS80 is the CS60 times two; the Prophet 10 is two Prophet 5s bolted together.

It matters a bit, I'd say.

(Limited) multitimbrality has become less of a dealbreaker for me now that audio recording in a DAW is ubiquitous. In the early 00s when everything was MIDI, it was important; or more correctly, monotimbrality was more costly. Nowadays, not so much.

Of course, if you're working DAWless, it's a different matter
That makes sense, thank you.

I was aware of the vintage examples, but had a feeling there was more to it.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

You’d need a separate analog distortion and stereo effects module per timbre. Each timbre may require a separate FPGA on the board (we’ll see as someone will open it up). Not sure which FPGA they’re using, but just “doubling” or “quadrupling” the amount of digital logic isn’t free - you can’t just crank up the speed of a DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post

At least 4 part should be the norm at that price today. If each voice is a separate VCOs/VCF/VCA chip with digital commands then the issue is purely a software one, not a hardware one. And Novation knows how to do it, the Supernova had 8 parts. Instead of adding gimmicks, how about these constructors allow us to layer more patches to make more complex sounds instead?

Off course, constructors want us to buy more synths, not less that would do more .
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Looks great. Pretty much what I always wanted. Could be the keyboard synth of my current dreams.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

by the way modulatable effects, that has the peak?
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry @ camus2 , my bad, this part is dumb. The digital part of the voices are already there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Each timbre may require a separate FPGA on the board (we’ll see as someone will open it up). Not sure which FPGA they’re using, but just “doubling” or “quadrupling” the amount of digital logic isn’t free - you can’t just crank up the speed of a DSP.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Sorry @ camus2 , my bad, this part is dumb. The digital part of the voices are already there somewhere.
you can go for a higher FPGA with the same package, which has twice the amount of logical gates etc.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/docum...s_Overview.pdf
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

They should rename the Bass Station 2 to the Sneak Peak.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because it is not a Clavia.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
16 voices are probably on two addressable voice cards. If the cards themselves don't support separate timbres per voice, whether due to software or hardware limitations, there you have it. 2 cards, 2 timbres.

Considering some of the things Novation has done to the BSII lately, maybe they're holding out the added multitimbral features for a future "anniversary firmware update".
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

If they made it multitimbral the next complaint would be lack of individual outs. They've got to stop somewhere, it's 'only' 2200 Euros!
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

I've been waiting for this
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

ill wait for the avalanche

when a 1984 budget analog sci six trak can be 6 voice multitimbreal..

the obvious borking in this decade is lame as fk.

buy it so you can feel done over when in a few yrs they make a 32 voice 16 part 'you were sucked in' model..

back in the day limitations were imposed by the limits of the latest tech..

now...just...deliberately borked.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Can a mod merge the 3 Novation threads together to avoid confusion please
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
16 voices are probably on two addressable voice cards. If the cards themselves don't support separate timbres per voice, whether due to software or hardware limitations, there you have it. 2 cards, 2 timbres.

Considering some of the things Novation has done to the BSII lately, maybe they're holding out the added multitimbral features for a future "anniversary firmware update".
The Bass Station 2 is just analog circuitry, the Peak has digital effects. Just because its digital doesn't mean they can run the CPU to process eight separate FX channels. I would wager that probably is holding back the ability to do full multi timbrality.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search