The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation Summit
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLohmeyer View Post
I just checked my Summit for this. I used a pair of AKG 240MkII headphones connected directly to the headphone jack, and at max volume, I did hear a small amount of hiss. But at max volume, this is not surprising and certainly not a concern. At any normal playing volume, I don't hear hiss.
Thank you very much for checking your Summit. That’s great to hear that there is no audible hiss under normal volume levels.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quick question about modulation (since i understand it has gone thru several changes and updates/upgrades).

1) The mod matrix has 16 slots (plus the additional fx mod matrix).
Do dedicated modulations such as lfo/envelope to waveshape, or lfo/envelope to filter etc - occupy mod slots or are in addition to the 16 slots?

2) I see that it's possible to modulate one destination with multiple sources. Is it also possible to modulate multiple destinations with one source?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Quick question about modulation (since i understand it has gone thru several changes and updates/upgrades).

1) The mod matrix has 16 slots (plus the additional fx mod matrix).
Do dedicated modulations such as lfo/envelope to waveshape, or lfo/envelope to filter etc - occupy mod slots or are in addition to the 16 slots?
They are in addition.

Quote:
2) I see that it's possible to modulate one destination with multiple sources. Is it also possible to modulate multiple destinations with one source?
It is, but each extra modulation on a destination takes up another mod slot. Also, unless I've missed something, you can't modulate the depth of a mod slot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetrope View Post
It is, but each extra modulation on a destination takes up another mod slot. Also, unless I've missed something, you can't modulate the depth of a mod slot.
I'd imagine you can, for example, assign a mod wheel to lfo depth...?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I'd imagine you can, for example, assign a mod wheel to lfo depth...?
In a single mod slot, yes, you can, pretty much. The actual depth of a mod slot is fixed though, and the mod wheel, in your example, would just modulate how much of the LFO gets through within the assigned range. What I meant was modulating the depth of a mod slot via another mod slot, so you could change how intense a particular modulation gets over time. Similar to what you can do on the MicroFreak and, I think, the Pro 3.
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Ordered my Summit today!
Hopefully it'll be here this time next week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetrope View Post
In a single mod slot, yes, you can, pretty much. The actual depth of a mod slot is fixed though, and the mod wheel, in your example, would just modulate how much of the LFO gets through within the assigned range. What I meant was modulating the depth of a mod slot via another mod slot, so you could change how intense a particular modulation gets over time. Similar to what you can do on the MicroFreak and, I think, the Pro 3.

You have 2 mod sources, but the first modulates the second. So you could have Env 3 modulating the rate of LFO3 that modulates the cutoff. However, you cant (as far as I know) modulate the Depth - which would be a great FW update
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
You have 2 mod sources, but the first modulates the second. So you could have Env 3 modulating the rate of LFO3 that modulates the cutoff. However, you cant (as far as I know) modulate the Depth - which would be a great FW update
Explained far better than I did. And, yes, I'm crossing my fingers for that to be included in future FW
Old 3 weeks ago
Those of you who just picked up a Summit, I'd like to know what kinds of things you'd like to learn in detail. I've created a Patreon account to help MajorOSC stay up and running, and I'm doing some initial research as I put together a list of subjects to cover. There's plenty of free presets I'll be designing live, and those of course will be included as well. The way I figure, if the next few months end up being the downfall of MajorOSC (economics and lack of exposure), I'd rather spend the remaining time doing something to give back and teach others what I know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any chance of some AFX firmware goodness making it into the Summit / Peak?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLoops View Post
Those of you who just picked up a Summit, I'd like to know what kinds of things you'd like to learn in detail. I've created a Patreon account to help MajorOSC stay up and running, and I'm doing some initial research as I put together a list of subjects to cover. There's plenty of free presets I'll be designing live, and those of course will be included as well. The way I figure, if the next few months end up being the downfall of MajorOSC (economics and lack of exposure), I'd rather spend the remaining time doing something to give back and teach others what I know.
FM would be great. I am not able to creat anything interesting with FM, nothing musical, mostly noise ... so some real examples would be great that go beyond the absolute minimal basic. I know how to set it up, but do not get anything good out of it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerErris View Post
FM would be great. I am not able to creat anything interesting with FM, nothing musical, mostly noise ... so some real examples would be great that go beyond the absolute minimal basic. I know how to set it up, but do not get anything good out of it.
Have a look at this:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So basically - although not as quick to set up - i could have with a little bit of work, get something similar to the Nord concept of "morphing"? I.e. configure the Summit so that when i use the mod wheel i simultaneously speed up an lfo rate, close the freq cutoff, increase the delay rate and increase the reverb level - while at the same time have aftertouch control the amount of vibrato, increase the level of FM going into osc2 and have the aftertouch also pitch osc1 down? Etc Etc?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Moonfall View Post
Novation supports extremist groups. Don't give them your money.
Such as?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So basically - although not as quick to set up - i could have with a little bit of work, get something similar to the Nord concept of "morphing"? I.e. configure the Summit so that when i use the mod wheel i simultaneously speed up an lfo rate, close the freq cutoff, increase the delay rate and increase the reverb level - while at the same time have aftertouch control the amount of vibrato, increase the level of FM going into osc2 and have the aftertouch also pitch osc1 down? Etc Etc?
Thats not difficult. you can use the same modifier in each slot - so youd use 4 (in your case 2 would be from the dedicated FX matrix) slots with the mod as source and each having one of those destinations - then use a 3 more with Aftertouch assigned. Im not sure how the Nord works as I wouldn't touch them, BUT while Summit may be more difficult to set up Id guess you have a lot more control over how much each destination changes for a given input. As is so often the case, more user control the more difficult it is to set up .... generally (and as I say, I Personally dont know how the Nord works so may not be the case).

Ultimately your never going to have quite the flexibility of a digital VA workflow from an analogue one (even if not all the bits are analogue).

You can do a lot more with the Summit matrix than you can with some top notch synths for instance. Each has its own benefits and weaknesses.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thats not difficult. you can use the same modifier in each slot - so youd use 4 (in your case 2 would be from the dedicated FX matrix) slots with the mod as source and each having one of those destinations - then use a 3 more with Aftertouch assigned. Im not sure how the Nord works as I wouldn't touch them, BUT while Summit may be more difficult to set up Id guess you have a lot more control over how much each destination changes for a given input. As is so often the case, more user control the more difficult it is to set up .... generally (and as I say, I Personally dont know how the Nord works so may not be the case).

Ultimately your never going to have quite the flexibility of a digital VA workflow from an analogue one (even if not all the bits are analogue).

You can do a lot more with the Summit matrix than you can with some top notch synths for instance. Each has its own benefits and weaknesses.
Thanks!

In short, this is how its done on a Nord (take a minute to watch):

And you can just stack more and more. Assign how many parameters you like to either velocity, aftertouch, modwheel or control pedal, without the need to enter a mod matrix.
The downside is that the nord doesn't have as many envelopes and lfos as the Summit.
Yes, lots of pros and cons and i'm debating which of the two should i get.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That is very easy - and with a start and end point quite versatile.

Its not what I would call "morphing" though lol.... Its just controlling a parameter from a real controller. it would be the same as saying "modulation" is automatic morphing... which nobody but Nord does.

Morphing to be is seamless transitioning from one PRESET to ANOTHER totally different one - like the super knob on a montage (though its not the only thing) - the PolyBrute does this as well.

small things... but hey. Doesnt change WHAT it does lol.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As for which one you should get.... Honestly, dont worry too much about "function" and more about "sound" would be my suggestion. No 2 synths SOUND the same even with a basic waveform. Having a million things you can do with a waveform is one thing - have a great sounding one is another....

You can do a LOT of modulation with a hydrasynth.... but at its core is it as nice sounding as an OB6? (for instance).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
That is very easy - and with a start and end point quite versatile.

Its not what I would call "morphing" though lol.... Its just controlling a parameter from a real controller. it would be the same as saying "modulation" is automatic morphing... which nobody but Nord does.

Morphing to be is seamless transitioning from one PRESET to ANOTHER totally different one - like the super knob on a montage (though its not the only thing) - the PolyBrute does this as well.

small things... but hey. Doesnt change WHAT it does lol.
Many synth manufacturers often use misleading terms. For example nord uses the term "wavetables" - as did dave smith instruments when they had the polyevolver, to describe what was ultimately just single cycle waves and not a table of waves you can scan thru.

With "morphing", i think they mean you can morph the sound into something else. Not in the sense that you can on the Polybrute. Just simple things that can transfer the "program" or "preset" into something else by turning down a layer while bringing up another, closing a filter on one layer and opening a bit on the other, doubling the arp speed etc - all within one movement of the modwheel or pressure from aftertouch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
As for which one you should get.... Honestly, dont worry too much about "function" and more about "sound" would be my suggestion. No 2 synths SOUND the same even with a basic waveform. Having a million things you can do with a waveform is one thing - have a great sounding one is another....

You can do a LOT of modulation with a hydrasynth.... but at its core is it as nice sounding as an OB6? (for instance).
I like what i'm hearing from the Summit, but also what i'm hearing from the Wave 2.
I admit i have the Nord Stage 3 so i have access to the same sample library (nord 3.0) so i'm used to working with nord and very quick since i know my way around.
But the synth on the Stage 3 is limited to 2 layers, less options, smaller sample memory etc - and going for the Wave 2 will give me 4 layers, twice the sample memory size (and not just for what's in the library but also custom user samples), it has a more advanced programmable arpeggiator and gate sequencer that can give you some very strong and fresh rhythmical possibilities layering different pattern lengths and clock divisions against each other etc etc.

But, the Summit has a sound of its own, a true analog filter and analog distortion, true wavetables and also user wavetables, a deeper mod matrix with more modulators than what the Nord offers etc etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

MIDI'd up the Touché to the Summit...

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like what i'm hearing from the Summit, but also what i'm hearing from the Wave 2.
I admit i have the Nord Stage 3 so i have access to the same sample library (nord 3.0) so i'm used to working with nord and very quick since i know my way around.
But the synth on the Stage 3 is limited to 2 layers, less options, smaller sample memory etc - and going for the Wave 2 will give me 4 layers, twice the sample memory size (and not just for what's in the library but also custom user samples), it has a more advanced programmable arpeggiator and gate sequencer that can give you some very strong and fresh rhythmical possibilities layering different pattern lengths and clock divisions against each other etc etc.

But, the Summit has a sound of its own, a true analog filter and analog distortion, true wavetables and also user wavetables, a deeper mod matrix with more modulators than what the Nord offers etc etc.
I think thats what Id be looking at. Yes you get 4 layers not 2... BUT your not getting anything (or a lot at least) new... just more of the same.

Im a big believer in "variety" rather than "quantity". The fact you have the Stage means Id be looking at anything OTHER than another Nord. Just my viewpoint though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think thats what Id be looking at. Yes you get 4 layers not 2... BUT your not getting anything (or a lot at least) new... just more of the same.

Im a big believer in "variety" rather than "quantity". The fact you have the Stage means Id be looking at anything OTHER than another Nord. Just my viewpoint though.
How "road worthy" would you say it is? Asking because i honestly don't know. How robust is it? Or how "gentle" is it? Is it more a studio piece? Would you take it to gigs or is it to gentle/fragile?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have Peak rather than Summit - however, from what Ive played, and from friends I know who have Summit - its perfectly road worthy.

I use Peak on the road all he time (OK, no keybed but the rest its pretty much the same build quality).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I had the Wave MK1 and NS2 compact at different times. I never really used the organ or piano side of it. The Wave 2 is without a doubt the best of the bunch yet.Love the 4 layer thing,The FX are the best yet and now with 1gig flash sample upload plus the synth which is similar to A 1 is really good, Not that concerned about the 1lfo thing really.Even 1 layer can sound pretty full without much effort. I'm also eyeing the Summit but just waiting to see what Sequential are going to release. Both MW2 and Summit would be nice together me thinks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeh its all preference. I still prefer the Virus Ti2 over the Nord Wave 2, or the Lead A1 or Lead 4.

Having said that - I dont think Nord have ever released a great keyboard :(

I think they have had some very good sounds, with terrible keybeds - or half decent keybeds with the sound engines marred by something else. I think their biggest plus point is weight and reliability... there VERY good at both of those and can be worth the choice alone (and I know several players of Nord who SOLEY chose them for those reasons while saying they wernt actually the best sounding or playing instruments).

BUT - it IS all personal taste and there are people who Love the sounds, workflow AND keybeds - which is just fine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeh its all preference. I still prefer the Virus Ti2 over the Nord Wave 2, or the Lead A1 or Lead 4.

Having said that - I dont think Nord have ever released a great keyboard :(

I think they have had some very good sounds, with terrible keybeds - or half decent keybeds with the sound engines marred by something else. I think their biggest plus point is weight and reliability... there VERY good at both of those and can be worth the choice alone (and I know several players of Nord who SOLEY chose them for those reasons while saying they wernt actually the best sounding or playing instruments).

BUT - it IS all personal taste and there are people who Love the sounds, workflow AND keybeds - which is just fine.
Yes isn't it interesting how different all our perceptions are? I've never had a Clavia keyboard I haven't absolutely loved. Design, materials, quality, keybed and all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
I had the Wave MK1 and NS2 compact at different times. I never really used the organ or piano side of it. The Wave 2 is without a doubt the best of the bunch yet.Love the 4 layer thing,The FX are the best yet and now with 1gig flash sample upload plus the synth which is similar to A 1 is really good, Not that concerned about the 1lfo thing really.Even 1 layer can sound pretty full without much effort. I'm also eyeing the Summit but just waiting to see what Sequential are going to release. Both MW2 and Summit would be nice together me thinks.
I bet they will be nice together - but i already have the Nord Stage 3 as a bottom tier keyboard and have the space for only one more keyboard - which can be either the Nord Wave 2 or the Summit. So i have to choose.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m not gigging out anymore, so my opinions here are based on a past life.

All potentiometer knobs are nutted to the face chassis. The pots feel nice and solid. Knobs a bit cheap, but there’s no play. Except for the plastic on the knobs, they feel Moog quality as far as the play and wobble. The encoders (1 or 2 knobs) and sliders feel a bit more flimsy.

The synth is pretty light weight and has manageable dimensions. So you’ll have less stress moving it in and out of a trailer and on/off stage. Which means fewer accidents and less damage when you bang it into stuff. It’s like 1/2 the weight of the PolyBrute. Lighter than my Access Virus TI keyboard too (but no shelf to stack something else like the Virus)

The bottom of the synth has glued on rubber strips that span the full width of the synth on the front and back edges with a total of 6 raised areas that make feet. That part would take a real beating if you’re playing lots of shows. I think it would get ripped off the bottom pretty fast. My newest Summit came with 1.5” of that bottom not sticking, but once I pressed it back it has stayed.

You’ll want to put some gaffers tape on the top of the synth and label the jacks with a silver sharpie. Otherwise you’ll always need a flashlight and you’ll have to fully walk around the back to cable up.

Bell ends look easy to replace and like they’d be cheap-ish. So if you trashed a set taking stage hits, replacements would be easy to put on. If you care.

Lights and screen are easy to read. Not too bright.

You get two timbres, 16 voices, keyboard splits, and the option to process external synths through the FX - so you can stereo delay/distort filter sweep external synths or playback devices.

Quote:
How "road worthy" would you say it is? Asking because i honestly don't know. How robust is it? Or how "gentle" is it? Is it more a studio piece? Would you take it to gigs or is it to gentle/fragile?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

New market: who sells Summit Backup Feet???
📝 Reply