The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Novation Summit
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Pretty sounds <3
That's wonderful. This one he did with the Peak is gorgeous and very much in the same vein:

If there are more examples of this type of texture/timbre work coming out of this synth I'd love to hear them.
Old 3 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
buy them both online, you've got a 14 days return policy, so you can decide at leisure which one clicks the best for your personal taste.
dangerous thing to do
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
From SynthMania at KnobCon:

Still waiting for the manual.
Sounds pretty great, very focussed, silky.
Definitely better than the P12.

Does it sound better than the Peak? Somehow very alife.
Damned I should have waited ... I bought a Peak and have hardly used it so far, because of studio renovation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Only thing different is the ability to split the filter into two separate 12db filters. Being able to route the audio into parallel filters takes hardware circuit traces to put in audio halfway through the filter design (a 24db filter is just four 6db filters in a row, so if you want parallel you need to input audio at the 1st and 3rd poles.) That can't be done with a firmware update on the Peak, and it was not conceived of when the Peak was made.

If you are hearing the new filter routings in action, that would sound a certain way. Look for the bottom LED on the filter select being lit. If it is not lit, and a regular filter is being used, then that patch can 100% be made on a Peak.

Not trying to minimize the quality of the new Summit filter routings, but I don't want some new age metaphysics beliefs to be spread about the Peak and Summit being different beyond that. The expanded Summit UI (especially with FM synthesis) is probably the culprit that is leading to new sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
buy them both online, you've got a 14 days return policy, so you can decide at leisure which one clicks the best for your personal taste.
dangerous thing to do
Yeah, even in my worst stages of GAS, I have never reached the point where I'm just buying everything and returning everything but the one that clicks.

In regards to my previous question on whether the Peak/Summit can get Oberheim sounds, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmQs_CYRyA

I guessed whichever patches sounded broader and fuzzier were OB and whichever patches were clearer and more precise were Peak...and got a failing score.

I got to compare the Peak and OB in person at Chuck Levin’s, and got myself almost there using a bit of tuning drift and filter drive. I then tried out the sawtooth density - since it only adds two detuned copies, I had to use another oscillator to get a full supersaw reminiscent of the JP-80x0. The filter here sets it so far above other synths with supersaw-type options. The store also had an SL mkIII so I could get an idea of how the Summit’s keybed would feel. I guess it felt good enough.

My mind is set on the Summit now, with its broad range of personalities...but then my heart is set on the Prophet-6, with its depth of character.

Edit: Solved the space problem I will have if I go with the Summit, once the Jupiter returns: The DX7 goes on or under my coffee table.

Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 3 weeks ago at 04:57 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted bbe5aef
Anyone preorder the Summit? I'm interested but don't know what to expect from the keybed/longevity of the overall synth (the Peak is holding up?).. No one's really commented on it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bbe5aef View Post
Anyone preorder the Summit? I'm interested but don't know what to expect from the keybed/longevity.. No one's really commented on it.
Check out the thread for the Novation SL MKIII. It shares the same keybed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Anyone preorder the Summit? I'm interested but don't know what to expect from the keybed/longevity.. No one's really commented on it.
I've pre-ordered it. I've had a lot of Novation stuff and have always been happy with the products and support so it's a company I'm OK rolling a little blind with.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I preordered too. Have a peak and love it. Will sell it when this arrives.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am lucky enough to have access to play one through a friend (early release.) It is a very nice synth
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
My mind is set on the Summit now, with its broad range of personalities...but then my heart is set on the Prophet-6, with its depth of character.

Exactly why my current poly setup is a P6 and a Peak - Peak for the versatiliy, P6 for its golden VCOs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted bbe5aef
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Exactly why my current poly setup is a P6 and a Peak - Peak for the versatiliy, P6 for its golden VCOs.
That's a nice combo, I'd love to get a P6 in the future. For now my setup is Moog Matriarch, Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Research Lab, and possibly Novation Summit, going to preorder today if I choose to, I want Baloran The River but I'm quite impatient. I really need a 5 octave keyboard. I think it'll be a killer setup, plus the 6 output cables will eat up my remaining preamps...
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted bbe5aef
Can anyone confirm before I preorder this beasty, that you can have a single patch utilizing the 16 voices?

From its marketing

"Two sounds at once
Multitimbral engine for splitting, stacking and switching between two simultaneous patches "

Doesn't really touch upon a single huge 16 voice patch, or a patch that utilizes 8 voices but has stacked oscillators... Surely, I assume that is a feature? I don't know if I've seen a video yet where the Summit isn't utilizing the separation between synths "A" and "B", and there's just one sound in the engine going on.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinital View Post
Can anyone confirm before I preorder this beasty, that you can have a single patch utilizing the 16 voices?

From its marketing

"Two sounds at once
Multitimbral engine for splitting, stacking and switching between two simultaneous patches "

Doesn't really touch upon a single huge 16 voice patch, or a patch that utilizes 8 voices but has stacked oscillators... Surely, I assume that is a feature? I don't know if I've seen a video yet where the Summit isn't utilizing the separation between synths "A" and "B", and there's just one sound in the engine going on.

Cheers
That's possible. In polyphonic mode, up to 16 voices of a Single Patch can sound simultaneously
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those who don't know, John Loftus works for Focusrite/Novation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted bbe5aef
Just preordered the Summit at $1,850!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s a great deal!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Damn! Where from?
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted bbe5aef
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
Damn! Where from?
Messaged
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only thing that cannot happen is dynamic voice allocation - it is basically two Peaks inside, so multitimbral routing is fixed at either 1x16 voices or 2x8 voices.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible through a firmware update.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
The only thing that cannot happen is dynamic voice allocation - it is basically two Peaks inside, so multitimbral routing is fixed at either 1x16 voices or 2x8 voices.
This seems to be something of a trend in many current designs. I am not sure if there has been a loss of tribal engineering knowledge regarding how to implement dynamic allocation, or the market just doesn't demand this feature, or ....?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's an odd question - I'm looking at a product page that says 2 LFOs per voice. Is there some reason you can't assign all 4 to one patch, or did they just mistakenly copy & paste that out of the Peak product info?

I hope you can, the extra LFOs fix the one problem the Peak had for me.

Quote:
Anyone preorder the Summit? I'm interested but don't know what to expect from the keybed/longevity of the overall synth (the Peak is holding up?).. No one's really commented on it.
From earlier on in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matia View Post
Another thing to mention is the keybed. It’s absolutely ace. Best way to think of it is in the same league as Fatar but different. Closer to the keybed on my Emulator 3 but slightly heavier action. It’s very playable and feels real. The bender and mod wheel also feel like a super high fi bass station 2 set. Basically very quick to activate and to work with but of a significantly higher quality. It’s a players board for sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
Here's an odd question - I'm looking at a product page that says 2 LFOs per voice. Is there some reason you can't assign all 4 to one patch, or did they just mistakenly copy & paste that out of the Peak product info?

[...]
LFO 3 and 4 are global LFOs, so not per voice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I believe 2 are _per voice_ (poly). Another 2 are global per patch (mono per patch used to modulate FX).
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted bbe5aef
Quote:

From earlier on in the thread:
Thanks I have one preordered... Should be a nice two months... Patiently awaiting my new toys, I have no hardware currently but I've been working on a track still.

In two months I'll have a nice little setup that uses up all my preamps (Summit, Matriarch, Voltage Research Lab). From there I think it's onto starting a modular rig because a lot of nice innovation and boutiques are arising there (and have been for a while now).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
LFO 3 and 4 are global LFOs, so not per voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
I believe 2 are _per voice_ (poly). Another 2 are global per patch (mono per patch used to modulate FX).
Okay, I guess that makes some weird kind of sense. Judging by some of the demos I’ve heard, likely wouldn’t make much difference to me in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinital View Post
Thanks I have one preordered... Should be a nice two months... Patiently awaiting my new toys, I have no hardware currently but I've been working on a track still.

In two months I'll have a nice little setup that uses up all my preamps (Summit, Matriarch, Voltage Research Lab). From there I think it's onto starting a modular rig because a lot of nice innovation and boutiques are arising there (and have been for a while now).
I can’t quite decide whether this or the Hydrasynth are my dream instrument, but they both sound like what I wanted the Prophet 12 to be in their own ways. I look forward to a chance to compare both in person.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, I guess that makes some weird kind of sense. Judging by some of the demos I’ve heard, likely wouldn’t make much difference to me in practice.
It makes a huge difference. Per-voice LFOs start modulating when you keypress. So if you had per-voice LFO bending the pitch, and you played notes at different times, your chord wouldn’t be modulated evenly but based on when you hit the notes. That would create a shimmering, out of sync sound. Most people are used to global LFO, where no matter when you play notes they all bend pitch at the same time. The global LFO are the only ones able to modulate FX since they are stable and not voice dependent
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
In the SOS review of Summit: "Oh yes... and the post-filter overdrive now has its own knob, which seems like a small improvement, but isn’t. It’s another big one."

Is this a mistake or am I blind? Where the heck is this knob located? Above the cutoff there seems to be the pre-filter overdrive as in Peak (I assume), and in the effects section there is Distortion, as in Peak.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine View Post
In the SOS review of Summit: "Oh yes... and the post-filter overdrive now has its own knob, which seems like a small improvement, but isn’t. It’s another big one."

Is this a mistake or am I blind? Where the heck is this knob located? Above the cutoff there seems to be the pre-filter overdrive as in Peak (I assume), and in the effects section there is Distortion, as in Peak.

Looks like VCA gain knob is in the mixer, overdrive is to the right of resonance, distortion is with the FX.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search