The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tidal wave of great synths
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Tidal wave of great synths

I don't think I've ever seen so many fantastic synths coming out at once. Self-control and careful examination of one's own tastes in choosing from so many great products are going to become more and more important for a lot of people.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Head

Totall agree Wendell, definitely a 2nd golden age of synths. Long may it continue!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Tidal wave of peeps telling everyone what not to buy...
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Addict

I am over synths, now I sweat sequencers.
Though if the xd module is $399 I want it.
And i should start playing with synths at the music store instead of buying based on youtube vids.
But yeah, I am more interested in sequencers now. I mean, how many synths does one really need?
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Synths with mojo are now commodities.
Old 12th May 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Now after the mfb poly it feels like if your spending more than a grand or so on a synth then it's a luxury, I mean three vco eight voice for a grand? What more do you really need you know?
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
What more do you really need you know?
I want to know that they’ll not use that colour scheme and UI.
Old 12th May 2019
The best thing is its not just straight up analogues, we are starting to get hybrids in there....two of my recent favourite purchases were the Prologue and the Freak...and Ive always loved the XA

I wonder if theres been a big drop in software synth sales??
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I wonder if theres been a big drop in software synth sales??
We’ll be able to confirm that if Roland start releasing HW synths again...
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Addict

It's the golden age of cheap Behringer analogue clones. It's not the golden age of cheap digital synths that have more than 4 voices and 1 parts or 16 track MIDI sequencers with song modes and more than 4 bar per patterns... like 20 years ago... Depending on what you want, it might be the inferior age.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Aye, golden age of digital was late 90s, and particularly early 00s. Goddamn.

But anyway, analog heaven is right the hell now. Never been more so.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
But anyway, analog heaven is right the hell now. Never been more so.
Yup... it has never been better... this is gonna be an expensive year

Got a Moog Matriarch on pro-order
Also a Behringer VC-340
Gonna put in an order for Black Corporations Xerxes as soon as orders open up.

And now I hear Super-6 and wow does that sound lovely. I might have no choice but to buy that one as well.

Most of the hardware I've purchased over the past 3-4 years has felt like a compromise in some way or another. Not such enjoyable workflow, or a sound that didn't quite do it for me but seemed good enough. Suddenly there are synths coming out that have some (lots) magic in the sound and have really good hands on interfaces.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
I don't think I've ever seen so many fantastic synths coming out at once. Self-control and careful examination of one's own tastes in choosing from so many great products are going to become more and more important for a lot of people.
Damn straight its a new golden age! My personal lust list has grown to include:

MicroFreak
Minilogue XD module
VOLTAGE RESEARCH LABORATORY from Pittsburgh Modular
Moog Matriarch
Novation Summit
Nyx V2
EVERYTHING from Black Corporation

...and this is just the latest stuff added to an alrady unrealistically long list of desireables. And just a small sampling of what was shown this year. Its crazy how good the selection is.

Also doesn't include sequencers and drum machines, or samplers. GREAT stuff coming out this year.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Also doesn't include sequencers and drum machines, or samplers. GREAT stuff coming out this year.
I'm waiting for a truly great hands on workflow oriented sampler with analog filters. That is still a blank spot
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

The outlook on nice polys this year is crazy!:

- Summit
- Super 6
- MFB Synth 8
- Sequential Something (likely)
- SE-08 (rumor, not likely)
- UB-xa (slow roll)
- Black Corp Xerces
- Black Corp Kijimi

My head is about to explode!
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
- SE-08 (rumor, not likely)
Now THAT would be something.

Quote:
- Black Corp Xerces
- Black Corp Kijimi
I do wish that the Black Corporation would pick names that I could remember... and spell!
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

DAMN. Just watched the sound videos for the Summit and the Super 6....

Simply incredible. How could I choose if I wanted to shop at that price point??? I'll be lucky if I can sleep tonight. Wow.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Simply incredible. How could I choose if I wanted to shop at that price point??? I'll be lucky if I can sleep tonight. Wow.
Those are the two I'm most impressed with. The Summit because I know Novation will support the crap out of that thing for years. The Super 6 because it just sounds better than anything out there.
Old 12th May 2019
The Super 6 is really impressive. Makes my System-8 look like a cheap piece of plastic . . . umm (mod-wheel section looks very familiar). MFB 8 also very nice.

• Roland SE-08: Will either be super-stupid or super-awesome (or super-never).
• Behringer DS-80: Suddenly don't care as much.
• Yamaha CS re-issue: (see Roland, above).
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

I can't bring myself to buy any of this stuff. Meanwhile I'm buying apps & software almost every day.

Sugarbytes Factory being the most recent. Clever, very clever.
Old 12th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I can't bring myself to buy any of this stuff . . .
Unfortunately, for me, the Super 6 has landed in my crosshairs. Everything I've ever liked about digital and everything I've liked about analog in a very smart new design. Absolutely no need to dig deep into the past for cheap digital synths with mojo and huge sliders (e.g., SH-32, Gaia, etc.). This is the future of the hybrid FPGA synth.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Super 6 has blown me away whereas the Summit, for me, has been a slowly leaking helium balloon. Go figure, but yeah, what a time. Haven’t been as excited for a new company as I am in UDO in ages.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Unfortunately, for me, the Super 6 has landed in my crosshairs. Everything I've ever liked about digital and everything I've liked about analog in a very smart new design. Absolutely no need to dig deep into the past for cheap digital synths with mojo and huge sliders (e.g., SH-32, Gaia, etc.). This is the future of the hybrid FPGA synth.
Absolutely yes.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

And there I was thinking I'd just be stacking up Behringers over the next few years.

Current shopping list ....
Matriarch, Pulsar 23, XD module. Plus those MFB Synth8 VCOs sound pretty nice.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

....and yet I'm still waiting for a Voyetra 8 clone.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Oh wow, I hadn't listened to that yet.

Sounds brilliant and is basically the synth I thought somebody (like Moog) would make but never did.

That's really how synths should be made, the front panel design is elegant and the whole super/stereo concept with the FX is far from a gimmick. It's obviously a synth designed to be as musical and intuitive as possible, not feature rich and unnecessarily complex.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
The Super 6 has blown me away whereas the Summit, for me, has been a slowly leaking helium balloon. Go figure, but yeah, what a time. Haven’t been as excited for a new company as I am in UDO in ages.
All the demos are not only without FX, but the demo machines have no presets so all the sound demos were live tweaking of the machine while playing. That really shows how hands on and playable the Super 6 is.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
The economy is doing well...
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
The economy is doing well...
I think it’s a lot more to do with the insane level of demand out there for synth hardware, most of all analog.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
I think it’s a lot more to do with the insane level of demand out there for synth hardware, most of all analog.
And that extra cash is burning a hole in your wallet!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search