The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Synth 8
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

MFB Synth 8

https://www.gearnews.com/superbooth-...g-synthesizer/

Looks interesting.

The MFB SYNTH 8 has three analog VCOs per voice, which can produce saw, pulse, and triangle waveforms. There’s also ring modulation and noise. All three VCOs can be frequency modulated, and oscillators 2 and 3 can sync to OSC 1. For a thick vintage sound, the VCOs use analog circuitry and components that resemble circuit designs of the 1970s. But there’s also a selectable DCO mode to control the oscillators’ tuning digitally, in case you run into tuning problems or are going after that 80s DCO sound.

The SYNTH 8 has two analog filters with different designs and characteristics. There’s a 24 dB low pass, and a 12 dB multi-mode filter, with the latter featuring an OTA design. The filters can be wired in series or parallel, and there’s a knob for blending their outputs. For modulation, the SYNTH 8 has two LFOs and three envelopes. Envelopes 1 and 2 are loopable ADSRs, while envelope 3 is a simple AD. All of the modulators are digital. This also applies to the SYNTH 8’s effects section.

The synth also has a step sequencer / arpeggiator, which seems to be comparable to the Dominion 1. Unfortunately, the sequencer is monophonic.

MFB SYNTH 8 has 100 memory locations.

Price and availability

SYNTH 8 should be available in the fall of 2019. The company is expecting a price of just under 1000 Euros.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

F me under 1000eur, FM, parallel OTA filters, more modulation than you can shake a stick at... If the oscs approach dom1 this will be insane!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

SSI/SSM filters.

Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

Damn.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Addict

That is mega at that price - gotta have one. Love my Dom 1 - a poly stable mate and 8 voices x 3 oscillators for less than 1000 euros was not expecting that. Please make the LFO’s syncable to the clock. Bring it on!
Old 11th May 2019
Oh wow! So, the mythical Mfb polyphonic is coming true eventually

Cool looks, great specs, and for that price a no brainer, eh?

Think my Dominion1 will need to make place for that one here.
Old 11th May 2019
Deleted 80b9b09
No PA, no MPE, GTFO.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Addict
Woe !
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

And rack-able, sweet. Between Black Corp & MFB, synth racks be filling up again. The tough part is going to be choosing.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

At that price and size it will be hard to say no.
Old 11th May 2019
Sound examples from 8:22

Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

So the Dom 5 did appear after all ;.) and *another* great sounding synth joins the golden era !
Old 11th May 2019
Wowzers!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

8-voices with three real VCOs and dual filter setup plus effect section for under 1000€, that’s crazy!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Spec-wise this is Memorymoog territory, isn't it? Do we even have filter fm? Vco fm seems there.

And how cool is the ability to switch between vco/dco control voltage - crazy!

And then ladder plus 12dB multimode filter, endless sound sculpting. The sounds in rhe video already were meaty and thick, veeeery nice!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
Spec-wise this is Memorymoog territory, isn't it? Do we even have filter fm? Vco fm seems there.
There's a pot for each filter that lets you modulate it from LFO or OSC3 (in other words, FM).

Hires shot of the panel: https://www.gearnews.com/wp-content/...FB_Synth_8.jpg
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 80b9b09 View Post
No PA, no MPE, GTFO.
I think we need a new sub-forum titled NO PA NO MPE GTFO. Seems to have a lot of fans around here.

How the F do you expect this to have these features for €980?
Old 11th May 2019
Finally!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear
Great original stuff! Even LCD is industrial standard, no burnout OLED! 1 to me! Sooold!
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Supporting poly AT and MPE is just firmware work, really...
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post

And how cool is the ability to switch between vco/dco control voltage - crazy!

And then ladder plus 12dB multimode filter, endless sound sculpting. The sounds in rhe video already were meaty and thick, veeeery nice!
had to think of the Memorymoog too - this and partly the sunsyn

what's there sound-wise already is awesome and for me, together with the super6 (which i count a juno/jupiter-esque) wins superbooth. need another job for affording all these goodies...
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

So many compelling poly synths showing up now...
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

LFOs seem to be analog again, so... no tempo sync?
Old 11th May 2019
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I think we need a new sub-forum titled NO PA NO MPE GTFO. Seems to have a lot of fans around here.

I was joking.

I'm actually shocked there have been a couple of positive threads recently, and we haven't had to scroll through pages of negative repetition to find out facts.

This looks amazing.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
LFOs seem to be analog again, so... no tempo sync?
I remember reading that "all modulators are digital" - I think it includes LFOs. (It is written in the article quoted by OP)
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

There's no Sync button in LFO sections tho. And also the guy says "analog LFOs" in Sonicstate video, hmm.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Why analog lfos and digital envs? Wouldn't the opposite be better? (easy said as a fanboy and not a manufacturer)

Supposing the lfos are triggered and digitally controlled, would sync not be possible?
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear
The 24 bladder filter seams to have passband compensation (Q-comp on/off) which means original BikiniBoog
or a mode with bosted passband, more "ohmpf" in passband, thats veeery nice!
Old 11th May 2019
some pics (repost from amazona.de)

second one is one of the voice board pcbs (4 voices per pcb)

Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear
8 x MFB II? Anyhow the component count is stunningly low, and almost no elyts, thats just superb engineering!

https://www.amazona.de/superbooth-19...ogsynthesizer/
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear