The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Synth 8
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mine arrives tomorrow! Fingers crossed it is working correctly. I obsessively checked Thomann, Juno, DV247 and Schneiderblahblah multiple times a day for a month or so. There were two units on Thomann early last week for less than 24 hours and managed to jump on one.
Will report back..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Hi, how many of you can play only filter selfoscillating, IN TUNE on multiple octaves??
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoggyone View Post
Hi, how many of you can play only filter selfoscillating, IN TUNE on multiple octaves??
Monophonically? I can with filter 2. Filter 1 is useless in that regard.

Polyphonically, 2 of my filters are a half-step out of tune with the others. So not really, although it's cool for creating clusters. Not sure if I'd want it fixed even if it's fixable.

You did read the note on p13 of the manual, didn't you?

Quote:
Hint: Unlike the oscillators, the analog filters cannot be calibrated exactly. Therefore, deviations to the oscillators’ pitch may occur, even with key follow being set to 100% (see page 14 > Modulation).
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

thank you, i mean polyphonically.
i just receive mine, i can play chords on FILTER2 ( or filter 1), but only on a few octaves.

it would be great to implement every % possibles, from 90% to 110% to be able to correct it and play it in tune...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoggyone View Post
thank you, i mean polyphonically.
i just receive mine, i can play chords on FILTER2 ( or filter 1), but only on a few octaves.

it would be great to implement every % possibles, from 90% to 110% to be able to correct it and play it in tune...
Interesting. I just wrote to MFB to ask about fine tuning the filters -- it's a little annoying that the tuning isn't properly set, now that I'm obsessing about it. :-)

I noticed that if I feed some signal into Filter 1, it locks onto the pitch and I can play polyphonically. Just about 9 o'clock with a triangle wave on the level of Osc 1 works for me over a few octaves.

The same trick doesn't work as well with Filter 2, though, but it sort of works for about 1 octave, and then the tracking screws up. I haven't tried fine-tuning the tracking, probably I could make it work like that.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

There is a VCF calibration routine, that is not in the manual:

Turn leve1-3 = 0, Reso1+2 = max and Decay1 = 0.
Press REC + DCO min. 2sec until the led's go off.
After ca. 10 seconds calibration is done.

It didn't fix my calibration issue though, but it might help for fine tuning.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by naneltra View Post
There is a VCF calibration routine, that is not in the manual:

Turn leve1-3 = 0, Reso1+2 = max and Decay1 = 0.
Press REC + DCO min. 2sec until the led's go off.
After ca. 10 seconds calibration is done.

It didn't fix my calibration issue though, but it might help for fine tuning.
Brilliant. Totally fixed my problem! Thank you.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

mine arrived and seems to be working well. No sustain pedal response. That's already a 'thing' and hasn't been fixed with V3.3, correct?
does anyone notice the odd behavior when selecting presets - if you don't do it in the correct order, it will default to some nasty sounding thing. maybe where the knobs currently are or something. I only had a little time with it this afternoon, but managed to get sequencer happening and synced some other gear up and it played very nicely with everything- complements the vermona in a nice way...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Congratulations!
The preset behavior is normal. It’s in the manual.
When you press the Preset knob two times, it will takeover the knob settings.
To load a preset, you have to:
Press Preset;
Select the bank with the value knob. You can skip this if you want a preset in the same bank;
Select preset number from 1 to 8.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

has anyone been able to get it to use the "host" usb to plug in a controller directly? I tried with a little air32 controller with no luck... might be on the same list as the sustain pedal....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman View Post
has anyone been able to get it to use the "host" usb to plug in a controller directly? I tried with a little air32 controller with no luck... might be on the same list as the sustain pedal....
Yes, I've gotten it to work with a bunch of smaller controllers. My last attempt with a 37-key controller failed, though.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
An updated v3.4 firmware was posted here and fixes the problem with the overall tuning of the instrument being ~1/2 sharp. Probably other stuff, YMMV and this is likely some work in progress/prerelease/caveat emptor stuff, but here you go: https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer...8/post-2018245
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
An updated v3.4 firmware was posted here and fixes the problem with the overall tuning of the instrument being ~1/2 sharp. Probably other stuff, YMMV and this is likely some work in progress/prerelease/caveat emptor stuff, but here you go: https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer...8/post-2018245
any chance you can share an additional link here? The forum is in German and requires registration and etc. My German is pretty bad :(
EDIT: never mind, googletranslate to the rescue!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman View Post
No luck with Arturia Keystep and Korg Nanokey.
Old 4 days ago
oki
Here for the gear

Got my Synth Pro yesterday so thought I'd chip in with my experience. For context: I am a very happy owner of an MFB Dominion 1 and went in with my eyes open, knowing there may be some teething issues.

First impressions: the box and packaging is insufficient for something costing nearly £1k. The wall wart mains adapter is super cheap - the UK adapter didn't fit it properly but I managed to push it in far enough for it to work.

Out of the box it came with software v3. I plugged in a midi keyboard and sure enough the voices were out of tune with each other. Auto tune didn't fix it, neither did the DCO mode.

I upgraded the firmware to v3.3 and then I noticed another issue. seven out of the 8 voices had a weirding looping thing going on in the decay. It was like a sample looping - shorter in the higher notes, longer in the lower notes. The eight voice was fine. All modulation and envelope looping was off. Really odd.

I upgraded the voices firmware. Now each note was just a short clicking sound, on every preset. I changed the decay / sustain on the VCA and that fixed the problem - for every preset. OK, weird but now at least we are getting somewhere. Another auto tune mostly fixed the tuning issues, although one voice sounded a little off. Maybe not as much as a semi tone but a little flat.

When I started playing around with the synth making a pad sound I noticed the decay of the notes was not smooth. Towards the end of the decay they would crackle a little bit. It was more noticeable the more notes and VCO's were used. I was pulling my hair out trying to get rid of it, thinking there must be some modulation but it was all disabled (as were the effects). When I tried using the bandpass filter this crackling was obvious and horrible. At that point I knew that it was an issue with the synth, maybe unique to my one as I hadn't hear anyone else mention it on this thread.

Then I plugged it in to my Cirklon sequencer and set up a pattern to play. What i heard was a terrible cacophony of noise which did not resemble the pattern in any shape or form. I plugged it directly into my midi interface and played a pattern through Ableton and this was fine. Checked again on the Cirklon - no dice.

I have spent probably close to 4 hours trying to get it to work. I really, really want to like this synth and was hoping I’d get a good unit but now I’m done with it so it’s going back. I think Manfred Fricke is a talented synth designer, the Dominion 1 being a modern classic, but the lack of care and quality control has let down his customers badly.

Let’s end on a positive note. The build quality was good, the oscillators are fat and have a nice tone, the filters sound awesome (apart from the bandpass which sucks big time). The issues I mention above might be unique to my unit so you might get lucky. If you do, then you’ll have a nice VCO polysynth at a great price. Unfortunately I didn’t.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Thx for the feedback, and welcome to the forum .
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
MFB just released version 3.4 and did an update for the 'add Preset values VCF and VCA'. Furthermore just an explanation how to tune the Synth Pro and which keyboard will work with this synth and that's it... I wonder when MFB will solve all the other bugs mentioned in this threat.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Curious if 3.4 solves all bugs±
Old 4 days ago
oki
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Thx for the feedback, and welcome to the forum .
Thnx. Been lurking for so long I forgot this was my first post!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
Curious if 3.4 solves all bugs±
Of course it doesn't. There are release notes and they are pretty specific about what got fixed.

Code:
Main_v3.3.bin
- Wave_LFO1 was add in presets
- Seq and Arp limited to active MIDI channel

Main_V3.4.bin
- add Preset values VCF and VCA
In the prose, there's a brief discussion about the incorrect tuning (half-step too high) and how they decided to fix it:
Code:
The tune and presets have been shifted a semitone down. So that all devices remain compatible, 
no hardware change was made, which means that the setting range now ranges from -3 to +5.
And that's it for now.

Mine is working great FWIW. There are certainly still bugs (the weird reset behavior of the LFOs, for instance, or the fact that the LFOs are much slower than advertised, or the fact that the machine doesn't ignore poly aftertouch and does crazy stuff when it is received), and it's still a pain to keep the OSCs and filters in tune over time and power cycles.

But it's a perfectly usable instrument as-is. My needs are not particularly demanding, though.

I am not thrilled by the level of support I've gotten from MFB, though. They don't seem to have a problem ignoring emails. I understand it's basically a one-man shop, but responding to customer support inquiries is kind of basic. Anyway, I remain a satisfied customer and appreciate that there have been some updates recently.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I’ve noticed a couple of things with my unit: changing tuning mode- say VCO to DCO then back or similar, the tuning goes crazy. If I power off and on, tuning fixes itself.
I had two voices (one chip?) stop making sound at one point. I thought it was gonna be a return/repair situation but it was fixed with the same power cycle trick.
I wish the final volume wasn’t part of the patches. If you have any kind of volume on your monitors and switch to a preset with a higher overall gain setup, you are in for a loud surprise!
Of course the sustain and external USB keys don’t work...
The sound is good- a little “narrow” or “small” but I think that might work to it’s advantage with 6/8 note chords. Things won’t get too thick but the spooky midrange stays intact. I haven’t tried a “fat bass” type patch but some sync patches sounded pretty large.
I had buyers remorse for about an hour yesterday but it went away after a second session. I feel like this will be a super useful
Instrument. It just needs for software development and patch building.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

from the V3.4 release notes:
"USB / MIDI is a complex topic. Not all MIDI keyboards will work, e.g. the keystep, which according to the instructions via USB is not intended as a MIDI keyboard. The following keyboards work:
M-Audio Oxygene 8, M-Audio Code49, EMO XBoard 49, Miditech Control37"

all of those are discontinued models, BTW!
Old 3 days ago
usb midi support for stuff from 2005-ish - maybe taking the vintage vibe too far here
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

My « arturia analog factory experience » works...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
Arturia MiniLab Mk2 and Novation Launchkey Mini work fine.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

what's killing me is filters tuning...

thanks to tell me if yours is better...

https://soundcloud.com/yoggyone/mfb-.../s-D1vmW08Qrpj

first you can hear filter 2 selfoscillating, same note, and octaves.
and then filter 1 (same note playing, you can hear that differ, depend on the voice playing and then octaves playing not in tune)

i tried different firmwares, last V3.4 too, voice 1.1 firmware, filter tuning by holding rec + dco/tune.

it's my third unit. i returned the first one that played perfectly because it didn't save lfo1 waveform... shiiieeeet...

thank you!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear