The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Synth 8
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djnro666 View Post
I had a Prophet 600 and now have a Korg Polysix and the MFB Synth Pro. The MFB
Synth Pro certainly does sound vintage but it has its own unique sound. I don't know what you are looking for so it's hard to say if it would suit you. The vintage tone you're looking for might not be the vintage tone I'm looking for...
Great combo! I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts of how the two compare, tone-wise. I was planning on getting one or the other this year...

What I like about the P600 is that beautiful very mid-forward sound, and the gnarly but liquid resonance on the filter. It can get harsh easily, but it really gives something for that filter to dig into.

The MFB SP seems to reference some of this (definitely in the last video demo above), and despite everyone's different idea of what vintage means, in general I think this is what people are pointing toward.

Roughly, to me the SP seems a bit softer than the P600. It's mod capabilities are obv much more vast. But patch-for-patch, any comments about how they sound side by side, especially for pads or ambient-ish sounds?

As far as build, it seems the P600 could almost be better-made than the PS tho! They're rickety, but seem to last... I hope MFB find some time to address the comments in this thread too...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionmiles View Post
Great combo! I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts of how the two compare, tone-wise. I was planning on getting one or the other this year...

What I like about the P600 is that beautiful very mid-forward sound, and the gnarly but liquid resonance on the filter. It can get harsh easily, but it really gives something for that filter to dig into.

The MFB SP seems to reference some of this (definitely in the last video demo above), and despite everyone's different idea of what vintage means, in general I think this is what people are pointing toward.

Roughly, to me the SP seems a bit softer than the P600. It's mod capabilities are obv much more vast. But patch-for-patch, any comments about how they sound side by side, especially for pads or ambient-ish sounds?

As far as build, it seems the P600 could almost be better-made than the PS tho! They're rickety, but seem to last... I hope MFB find some time to address the comments in this thread too...
I don't have the Prophet 600 anymore. You're right when you say that the Synth Pro is softer. It generally is smoother than the Prophet for me.
I assure you that it can get very gnarly, specially when using the first filter which sound more agressive than the second, especially in bandpass mode with its resonance driving the second filter in serial mode. It's gnarly but with a different quality than the P600. Even more liquid resonance on the Synth Pro in my opinion. This is pretty subjective!
I think the Synth Pro is a much more complex synth than the P600, which has its charm though. But for the first time in my experience, complex doesn't mean always having to dig a lot to find the sweet spots as they are everywhere! One of the best sounding I ever had.
On the build quality, I'd say that I wouldn't tour with it because even if it has a metal structure, somehow it doesn't feel sturdy. The knobs are wobbly and can easily be taken out. I shouldn't have problems with it as I'll keep it in my studio. And it is buggy : it takes sometimes two to three times to auto tune correctly the oscillators. But I have so much fun and like the sound so much that I don't really care.
It's more than the sum of its parts and a classic in my opinion. It can emulate so many classic tones as the two filters complement each other and sound very different. But it is its own thing with a unique tone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
It's not the best for emulating Sequential Circuit synths like the P600 because the sound is less overdriven and you can't do filter fm, except by faking it looping the third envelope. The LFOs don't go that fast on it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
Ditto, I'm stuck between it and the Prologue 16 for once I'm buying synths to replace what I sold. On paper I should like the Synth Pro more.
There is a Prologue thread here to read. I posted some things there when I was trying out Prologues in stores. I also posted a video of someone showing a weird problem with it. Someone else mentioned quirks with triangle wave oscillators. My current impression is sloppy quality control on top of design. Strange VCO behavior, weird noise artifacts that don't follow a pattern. All this gets buried with discussion of digital oscillators people keep designing.

I am also interested in the Parva, and that has units displaying lots of strange flaws.

Those 2 and the synth pro could be a great modern collection once bugs are fixed
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
There is a Prologue thread here to read. I posted some things there when I was trying out Prologues in stores. I also posted a video of someone showing a weird problem with it. Someone else mentioned quirks with triangle wave oscillators. My current impression is sloppy quality control on top of design. Strange VCO behavior, weird noise artifacts that don't follow a pattern. All this gets buried with discussion of digital oscillators people keep designing.

I am also interested in the Parva, and that has units displaying lots of strange flaws.

Those 2 and the synth pro could be a great modern collection once bugs are fixed
Yup I saw where there seems to be a wave shaping calibration issue, especially noticeable on the triangle wave, on the Prologue. You'd think in this day and age they could make stuff that works like it's supposed to.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Hey, welcome !

I sent MFB a mail two days ago, informing them that I returned the synth and that I'll wait two month before getting a new one, in the hope that they 'll fix the hiss problem, and suggested also that they could extend the midi implementation for modulations and other synthesis-related parameters in a future update.

I also told them that there is quite a few reports similar to mine on Gearslutz and that we think the hiss is related to the screen ; if he feels it's necessary he will probably find this thread ! No response so far, they are probably very busy. I hope they read the mail at least.
Same here, sent a mail last week directly to MFB support, as suggested by my reseller (MIDI Amsterdam).
Though I didn't share my software related findings I mentioned earlier in this thead,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Ugh. It sounds soooo good. Why cant they get their act together. I want to buy one but Im not dealing with the issues people are talking about here on a $1100+ instrument, and they seem widespread.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

noise level example

here my recording regarding noise level, played with usb keyboard: mfb is actual optimizing noise issues.
the sample is played with 8 voices, full level, filter open, unison 8 voice and mono 1 voice, after recording normalized to 0 db.
i cant hear significant noise or digital artefacts.
Attached Files

MFB SYNTH PRO NOISE LEVEL.wav (3.66 MB, 996 views)

Last edited by tripbeat; 1 week ago at 11:24 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Doesn't sound too bad to me tbh.

When I briefly had this I really didn't notice much noise if any and I'd been using it with headphones and I generally have very sensitive hearing.

It still would be nice for them to implement some mode for turning off the screen so you when it comes to recording a song you can turn off the screen and be noise free for the duration!
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
None of the black corporation or sequential vco synths have serious bugs.. maybe is a effect of trying to build a fully analog synth on the cheap? I'm sure it isn't easy, and am supposed they were able to do it at this price, but I have to say I'm not really suprised they have problems..I hope they get them sorted for you guys, but I'm not holding my breath. That gotta for the prologue and the synth pro. I'm not some rich push elitist either.. I can't afford this stuff either.. but I'm just being real, you never get something for nothing and a grand is allot, but it's extremely cheap for a poly vco analog.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I have the Synth Pro and it has incredible value the way it is right now and would even at twice the price in my opinion. The bugs are just a bit annoying but not major things for me. And let's remember that they are already at 3 updates of the firmware in three and a half months after release. This little company is doing much better than Korg with the Prologue (tuning issue took more than a year to get resolved). Concerning the noise issue, the noise floor is pretty fine : I don't hear it in any circumstances on my unit. I hear it on my Korg Polysix : might need a check up soon! The Synth Pro is in no way the train wreck this thread makes it be, in my humble opinion.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I agree, I definitely think it's worth taking into consideration how small this company is, how much they've delivered for such a small price and how much they've already done to rectify any issues with the thing.

I think MFB shoot themselves in the foot a little with their lack of communication on these matters, it gives people the chance to develop a whole load of doubt about the future of the synth pro especially when there's been unaddressed issues in the past.

I'm sure so many here would relax if MFB just posted somewhere saying that they're working on it!

All this hasn't stopped my putting an order in for another one although not with Thomann this time, Never anything again with Thomann!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the Synth Pro and it has incredible value the way it is right now and would even at twice the price in my opinion. The bugs are just a bit annoying but not major things for me. And let's remember that they are already at 3 updates of the firmware in three and a half months after release. This little company is doing much better than Korg with the Prologue (tuning issue took more than a year to get resolved). Concerning the noise issue, the noise floor is pretty fine : I don't hear it in any circumstances on my unit. I hear it on my Korg Polysix : might need a check up soon! The Synth Pro is in no way the train wreck this thread makes it be, in my humble opinion.
This hiss acted like a fourth osc on mine though lol. An osc that is out of tune and can't be turned off. With additional brown noise each time you do anything with the screen or touching any knob.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
This hiss acted like a fourth osc on mine though lol. An osc that is out of tune and can't be turned off. With additional pink noise osc each time you do anything with the screen or touching any knob.
I understand your disappointment! But I don't have it on my unit. Might it be linked to my use of a power conditionner? Some of my other synths were noisier before I started using it. I'll try to use it without the power conditionner tonight to see if I hear the dreaded noise...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
None of the black corporation or sequential vco synths have serious bugs.. maybe is a effect of trying to build a fully analog synth on the cheap? I'm sure it isn't easy, and am supposed they were able to do it at this price, but I have to say I'm not really suprised they have problems..I hope they get them sorted for you guys, but I'm not holding my breath. That gotta for the prologue and the synth pro. I'm not some rich push elitist either.. I can't afford this stuff either.. but I'm just being real, you never get something for nothing and a grand is allot, but it's extremely cheap for a poly vco analog.
The Black Corp synths absolutely had/have bugs. Some were far worse than anything experienced on the MFB. To their credit BC are also actively fixing them, but in some cases this isn’t perfect (slider hysteresis on DD, for example).

Price has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand your disappointment! But I don't have it on my unit. Might it be linked to my use of a power conditionner? Some of my other synths were noisier before I started using it. I'll try to use it without the power conditionner tonight to see if I hear the dreaded noise...
That would be an interesting test. I myself tried it on different power outlet, and without any cable connected except power and headphone, but I don't have an "onduleur" (funny word for power conditionner here in France). Goes without saying, in my case, the hiss remained in every situations. I'm aware others have not experienced this problem. I'm telling you : it might be that the Synth Pro I received had a problem. It was super super buggy also. I trully hope the next I'll receive will be "hassle-free", because I fell in love with it.
Old 1 week ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Synth Pro is in no way the train wreck this thread makes it be, in my humble opinion.
Yeah, this thread has gone a bit negative lately (albeit with some legitimate complaints). But I heard enough from the demos that I don't intend to cancel my order.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is even more concerning though, Then it's one off defects instead of something a firmware would fix. Playing the analog circuit lotto.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijix84 View Post
This is even more concerning though, Then it's one off defects instead of something a firmware would fix. Playing the analog circuit lotto.
I've seen that game played for any major synth companies. You can't have a perfect score when releasing a new synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
The Black Corp synths absolutely had/have bugs. Some were far worse than anything experienced on the MFB. To their credit BC are also actively fixing them, but in some cases this isn’t perfect (slider hysteresis on DD, for example).
The slider lag has been fixed for like 6+ months now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Didn't hear a lot of difference with and without power conditionner. Maybe just a little higher noise floor without. So I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a clean sounding unit...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

new firmware, let's check it out. Thanks MFB!
I guess releasenotes Main_V3.3.bin should be Main_V3.2.bin since it's not in the package.

Update

Main_V2.9.bin
- Sustain Pedal CC#64 was added

Main_V3.0.bin
- Bug in Mod Pich VCO1 fixed
- Legato was added

Main_V3.1.bin
- CC's MIDI channels fixed

Main_V3.3.bin
- Bug in CC's fixed
- dtune1-3 and glide add in presets
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Really good to hear! Anyone know what issues specifically these address?

Very excited to get one of these again. I wish I had it now so I could be using it to make music during all this extra time spent indoors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I'm one of the persons who asked them for the last one (via email) : dtune1-3 and glide add in preset. These parameters were not saved in the presets. Now they are. I also note that this OS seems less buggy. The tune knob for oscillator 1 seems to be a little bit less fiddly / more precise than before.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Seems like it is coming togheter nicely.
Needs a few iterations probably and hopefully they can keep adding nice features.
Moog One is still ironing out basic stuff while adding features 2 and that's an 6K or 8K instrument. Enthusiastic about it again. Because it does sound like a nice lunch proper analog poly! And Manfred is a synth gangsta of course!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripbeat View Post
here my recording regarding noise level, played with usb keyboard: mfb is actual optimizing noise issues.
the sample is played with 8 voices, full level, filter open, unison 8 voice and mono 1 voice, after recording normalized to 0 db.
i cant hear significant noise or digital artefacts.
Guys, you know that this is MFB, right?

And I agree, I don't hear any noise on mine either. I thought the person that said they could hear noise on the recording I posted was trying too hard to hear something, but I didn't want to get into an argument about it.
Old 1 week ago
phew, this is harder and harder to resist and kudos to mfb for hearing users and acting without big social media la-di-da

now i just to make space and moneyz for this...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle View Post
Guys, you know that this is MFB, right?

And I agree, I don't hear any noise on mine either. I thought the person that said they could hear noise on the recording I posted was trying too hard to hear something, but I didn't want to get into an argument about it.
Yes i noticed
I agree as well. It's probably best to measure, and from there it is for everyone to decide.
Note that for loud presets such as the sample from MFB noisefloor(peak) related to normalised sample is <-65dB (peak), same as my unit. That's totally fine. Gain staging is important, to get the best signal noise ratio. For the more subtle presets that aren't very loud noisefloor(digital hiss) i measure is around -55dB (peak).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle View Post
And I agree, I don't hear any noise on mine either.
I only hear extraneous noise when changing what menu is displayed. Easy solution. Don't change the menu display while recording...

When there is demo showing 'noise' for a synth, you don't know what the wiring is, what the power is like in the room, the gain staging of the patch and the interface, etc etc etc etc. But the first thing some people blame is the synth.

Secondly, analog gear does have a noise floor. Computers don't. Some people's reference for gear is a computer.
Old 1 week ago
It's good to see Uwe chiming in and MFB taking action on issues reported on this thread. A big Thank You to all of you beta testers / risk takers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search