The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Synth 8
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
A fee of like $30 (based on $1000 synth) to have something quicker and handled more professionally than the USPS?

Sold! Where do I sign?
I don't know about that, I had a package handled by FedEx recently that tarnished my opinion of them.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I've had more damaged packages via FedEx than USPS... but then the FedEx packages tend to be the larger ones
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Very much a Roland MKS-80 kind of vibe in terms of a tight, focused sound. But goes way beyond that.
thats funny it's the first thing I thought when I heard Maisons demos...Roland MKS80 like sound - nice musical analogue on the thinner modern side. Actually that is quite good for modern analogue. I don't anymore expect a fat warm sound with modern analogue...

encouraging the first impressions are so good...

Maybe its been linked but a demo here

Old 23rd January 2020
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg2 View Post
I literally lol'd at his creepy smile of pure joy when he said "like a home organ coming from the techno genre." That was entertaining. I like his enthusiasm.
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo leitao View Post
Seems audio is mono on this one.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
mine's shipped
Liar!
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
I see in the manual that there is a Unison Mode but I can't find a Detune or Spread control to fatten it up to swarm level.

There is a Filter Stereo Spread listed; in unison does that help?

That's why I won't sell my MKS-80; the 8 oscs unison detuned is the heaviest analog sound I've ever heard.
On the first menu page, Dtune controls how detuned the voices are in Unison mode; Active Voice controls how many voices are in Unison. So it does that sound as much or as little as you want. Plus there are three oscs per voice
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear
I'm very thankful for Stimmung, Lesindes, and Maison Vague's work here. But, Stimmung and Lesindes, I still don't feel like I have a sense of what this synth sounds like!

I can tell at least the synth sounds warm and thick, unlike the overly bright harshness I associate with DSI new analog. So that's really, really good. There was one brief section in Stimmung's video where I could hear the 12db filter open, and I heard that buzzy CEM fizz and felt that sound of real analog poly ripple through me.

But I can't say I really have any sense of filter resonance, especially in 24db mode, nor any sense of what this thing sounds like doing anything, um, normal that shows what it can do when not generally gurgling or making distorted, one osc, or other sounds which aren't so much 'out there' as 'in between settings' sounds that don't really demo what the synth can do. Did anyone make a bass sound? Or strings? Play chords supported by bass notes to hear how full it sounds? There's no bread and butter. So weird. Noodling, sure. But when you are literally the first to make a demo, give us something more than crumbs! Now, Stimmung is normally really funny in a very dry kind of way, but his video was mostly talking, which I didn't quite get. Granted, his impressions are always helpful and quite thoughtful, and that doesn't dissapoint. Still, I don't quite get the purpose of filling a demo to folks drooling for a curious morsel of sound with talking when there is sooooo little audio of this thing. Why not even 20 seconds for a quickie version of (the rightly despised beyond overdone) riff from 'jump'? That would at least let us hear the basic tone, but oh wellllllll...

I'm not normally this 'kids get off my lawn'-style of old man cranky, but I've made my fair share of demos to help synth folks hear stuff they might not be able to otherwise (chris962x on youtube, and https://soundcloud.com/christopher-v...ts/synth-demos ), and I really try to make my demos as useful as possible to a wide audience, curating my noodlings so I don't just record the first stuff that arises in one take, to patch together bits that hi-light different sides of the unit, what it does best in various modes in particular, so I ain't preaching anything I don't try to practice myself. That said, despite a little wtf?!, I do sincerely appreciate the effort, and hopefully there will be slightly more comprehensive videos to come. Which leads me to my next request ...

Maison Vague! Could you perchance upload a minimoog style bass sound, maybe a chord stab or two, and something that shows off the resonance on the 24db filter? I realize you aren't professional or getting anything out of this that folks who are online personalities do, so any effort beyond appreciated and super kudos for in advance, and for being first!
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
...Roland MKS80 like sound - nice musical analogue on the thinner modern side.
Exactly this.

I’m more familiar with the Jupiter-6, which is why my associations go more in that direction as opposed to the MKS-80 which I've never used. But yes, a JP-6/MKS-80 fusion kind of sound is what I’m hearing from the Synth Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
So I'm wondering, how does it compare to vintage? You say like MKS-80, and I think you're saying it beats the prophet 6 in terms of sound. Would the MFB sound out of place recorded with all vintage gear in a track?
If you’re among those who think the JP-6 is the weakest of the Jupiters, or aren’t into that slightly thin more contemporary 80s analog vibe, then you might not like it.

HOWEVER I think it will be a great synth for layering with other synths including vintage ones. I don’t think it will sound out of place (although I’ve not yet worked it into any arrangements, of course, having only just got it yesterday).

Quote:
Maison Vague! Could you perchance upload a minimoog style bass sound, maybe a chord stab or two, and something that shows off the resonance on the 24db filter?
Sure, I can do that! I'll be going into the studio shortly.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Exactly this.

I’m more familiar with the Jupiter-6, which is why my associations go more in that direction as opposed to the MKS-80 which I've never used. But yes, a JP-6/MKS-80 fusion kind of sound is what I’m hearing from the Synth Pro.

If you’re among those who think the JP-6 is the weakest of the Jupiters, or aren’t into that slightly thin more contemporary 80s analog vibe, then you might not like it.

HOWEVER I think it will be a great synth for layering with other synths including vintage ones. I don’t think it will sound out of place (although I’ve not yet worked it into any arrangements, of course, having only just got it yesterday).

Sure, I can do that! I'll be going into the studio shortly.
cool, thanks! yeoman's, or yeoperson's, work.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Hmm, Stimming seems ok in the MFB video. I don't know what it was about the Hydrasynth video, could be a lost in translation thing. I know it wouldn't be the first time a non native English speaker worded things in a way that ground my gears without meaning to.

That's ok, no other 3 VCO poly(per layer *cough*) out there for the price. I'm definitely interested, but would be nice if bugs were ironed out.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you perchance upload a minimoog style bass sound, maybe a chord stab or two, and something that shows off the resonance on the 24db filter?
A bass synth it is not. So I quickly abandoned my efforts to make a Minimoog style bass. It would not do the Synth Pro any favors. Trust me.

As for bread and butter sounds, plus some 4-pole LP with resonance patches, below are a few fresh from the factory.

There were a grand total of eight (!) presets included with my Synth Pro, all about as useful as the eight that came with my Jupiter-4.

The Synth Pro needs to be programmed out of the box. This might account for some of the noodle-y demos we've been hearing. Generally speaking, polysynths aren't "tweaker's synths". Noodling doesn't always work well, especially since very often polysynth players are using both hands. It's better to program them first, then assign a few controllers for targeted tweaks.

This isn't to say polysynths can't be tweaked in real-time, of course, it's just that the typical morphing patch noodles one hears with monos or modulars doesn't come naturally to this kind of instrument. For example, there's no setting for pot behavior regarding parameter movements when recalling presets.

There is, however, a WYSIWYG mode, which is needed for patch design since there would seem to be no INIT PATCH. This would be the way to go for real-time poly-tweakage if that's your thing.
Attached Files

mfb_synthpro_clip_07_str_org.mp3 (1.45 MB, 1425 views)

mfb_synthpro_clip_08_dark_org.mp3 (746.5 KB, 1437 views)

mfb_synthpro_clip_09_4pole_reso.mp3 (2.26 MB, 1479 views)

mfb_synthpro_clip_10_4pole_reso_ii.mp3 (2.20 MB, 1480 views)

Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

No bass, no case!

*unrealistically expects all synths to please my inner bass slut*
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
A bass synth it is not. So I quickly abandoned my efforts to make a Minimoog style bass. It would not do the Synth Pro any favors. Trust me.

As for bread and butter sounds, plus some 4-pole LP with resonance patches, below are a few fresh from the factory.

There were a grand total of eight (!) presets included with my Synth Pro, all about as useful as the eight that came with my Jupiter-4.

The Synth Pro needs to be programmed out of the box. This might account for some of the noodle-y demos we've been hearing. Generally speaking, polysynths aren't "tweaker's synths". Noodling doesn't always work well, especially since very often polysynth players are using both hands. It's better to program them first, then assign a few controllers for targeted tweaks.

This isn't to say polysynths can't be tweaked in real-time, of course, it's just that the typical morphing patch noodles one hears with monos or modulars doesn't come naturally to this kind of instrument. For example, there's no setting for pot behavior regarding parameter movements when recalling presets.

There is, however, a WYSIWYG mode, which is needed for patch design since there would seem to be no INIT PATCH. This would be the way to go for real-time poly-tweakage if that's your thing.
Thanks for these! It's sounding really good to my ears, very real and physical sounding. Excited to get mine!
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petajaja View Post
Thanks for these! It's sounding really good to my ears, very real and physical sounding. Excited to get mine!
You’re welcome!

The Synth Pro is very musical. It totally inspires—even for styles one normally doesn’t play—like this:
Attached Files

mfb_synthpro_clip_11_jazzy.mp3 (2.55 MB, 1395 views)

Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Here she is, my new baby.

It's quite compact in size (see photo in comparison to a standard euro module).

It came with a printed manual which is nice. I feel for those folks coughing up 3-4k for boutique polys that don't even have a pdf manual let alone a printed one.

Not that it's the most comprehensive manual out there. Typical bare bones mfb is what it is. Still, it's handy to have--especially for the MIDI CC assignments.
Attached Thumbnails
MFB Synth 8-img_9326b.jpg   MFB Synth 8-img_9328b.jpg   MFB Synth 8-img_9329b.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Always like Stimming’s reviews. I totally get his “a warm home organ for techno” vibe remark. Also get this from maisonvague’s examples here. I love this sound. To me it sounds like a mix between a Roland Juno 6/60, a polysix and the Dreadbox Abyss. Very nice.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Always like Stimming’s reviews. I totally get his “a warm home organ for techno” vibe remark. Also get this from maisonvague’s examples here. I love this sound. To me it sounds like a mix between a Roland Juno 6/60, a polysix and the Dreadbox Abyss. Very nice.
For musicians in Europe especially, the Synth Pro is a much better value than either the Prophet-6 or OB-6 modules. It’s not as refined as either of those, but in some ways this lack of refinement is more appealing.

For those needing a complete performance instrument, the P-6 or OB-6 with keys would still be the better choice. But if a module is sufficient, the Synth Pro is the best value out there right now, I'd say, for classic vintage-like tones.

About the oscillators, all of my recordings were made in VCO mode as opposed to DCO mode. I’m very pleased there’s no need for slop or other contrived means of loosening up the tuning.

It’s cool of mfb to have done just the opposite: provided a means of tightening up the tuning, rather than loosening it. The DCO mode sounds great, too, btw.

I no longer miss my Matrix-1000 or MKS-30. The Synth Pro sounds much better to me than either of those.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
For musicians in Europe especially, the Synth Pro is a much better value than either the Prophet-6 or OB-6 modules. It’s not as refined as either of those, but in some ways this lack of refinement is more appealing.

For those needing a complete performance instrument, the P-6 or OB-6 with keys would still be the better choice. But if a module is sufficient, the Synth Pro is the best value out there right now, I'd say, for classic vintage-like tones.

About the oscillators, all of my recordings were made in VCO mode as opposed to DCO mode. I’m very pleased there’s no need for slop or other contrived means of loosening up the tuning.

It’s cool of mfb to have done just the opposite: provided a means of tightening up the tuning, rather than loosening it. The DCO mode sounds great, too, btw.

I no longer miss my Matrix-1000 or MKS-30. The Synth Pro sounds much better to me than either of those.
Except 49 keys isn't enough, for me anyway. Even in the U.S. the Synth Pro is like half the cost of the P-6 or OB-6 module. Actually, grab a Virus TI and Synth Pro for about the same cost... then get 61 keys and lots more flexibility. Hey, that's not half a bad idea...
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post
I once ordered a few mics from the UK, and FedEx sent me a bill for the customs duties. It came in the mail about a week after the package arrived and was for something like 2.5-3% of the value.
You are really lucky if you only have to pay 3% taxes.
Last month I ordered a 240€ pedal from the US.
I had to pay 80€ taxes all in all: 20% + various incompressible processing fees :(
PS: I live in France
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
You are really lucky if you only have to pay 3% taxes.
Last month I ordered a 240€ pedal from the US.
I had to pay 80€ taxes all in all: 20% + various incompressible processing fees :(
We in Europe have it so bad for ordering from outside Europe, very greedy taxation on everything!
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I guess since we went to war over taxation without representation we get a break.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I decided to throw together a quick demo video of the mfb Synth Pro using the audio clips I posted earlier.

For those who've already heard them, there's nothing new here.

Except at the very end--a second jazzy improv which begins around 9:58.

Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Exactly this.

awesome thanks for the description...can I also request a sound?! Can we hear some classic 3 detuned saw analogue pads and maybe a PWM analogue style pad? How the osc swim with eachother is one of the tests that show the soul of an analogue poly for me...
Old 23rd January 2020
Ok, so its small, but not too small, eg: Tetra small. (Tetra's ok, but if it had as many knobs as this does in the same size there would definitely be an issue with it being too small there).

Sounds great too.

Only worry is its made of 8x3 voices with 3340 oscillators so is there any risk that if the 16X 3340 osc, 8 voice UB-Xa ships soon it will render this little fellow redundant?

Last edited by PeeGee; 23rd January 2020 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: added that there are 3 oscs per voice
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeGee View Post
Ok, so its small, but not too small, eg: Tetra small. (Tetra's ok, but if it had as many knobs as this does in the same size there would definitely be an issue with it being too small there).

Sounds great too.

Only worry is its made of 8 3340 oscillators so is there any risk that if the 16X 3340 osc, 8 voice UB-Xa ships soon it will render this little fellow redundant?
i feel like the range of 3340-based synths all sound so different (ProOne, Memorymoog, Prophet5, SH101, etc.), that the S8 would in fact be complimentary to the UB-Xa if the B actually nail the sound.

i'm loathe for adjectives, but maybe S8: 'lighter' and UB-Xa: 'thicker' and 'heavier'
Old 23rd January 2020
oh dear I just checked the manual - no voice or oscillator panning...one of my favourite things on analogue poly....
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionmiles View Post
i feel like the range of 3340-based synths all sound so different (ProOne, Memorymoog, Prophet5, SH101, etc.), that the S8 would in fact be complimentary to the UB-Xa if the B actually nail the sound.

i'm loathe for adjectives, but maybe S8: 'lighter' and UB-Xa: 'thicker' and 'heavier'
Yeah, thing is I am actually after the big, phat, drifty monster-poly sound of the Oberheims or MemoryMoon, I don't want sweet and light I want thick, syrupy, beefy, lots of power and resonance.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Guru

I like mv's sound examples. I really like them.

But...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search