The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI Rev2... to sell or not to sell? THAT is the annoying question.
Old 3 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I engaged key sync, which as I understand it would reset the LFO upon each new key press. Per voice, but in the same direction (all positive, as I don't think the Rev2 LFOs are bi-directional). This means for a chord, all voices would be offset simultaneously, and in the case of LFO detune, in the same direction. A sort of samey detune, more noticeable at slow speeds (ie, amount = 1) than at quicker speeds. At *normal* higher LFO speeds, where you get a static vibrato instead, the slight cent difference in pitch is smeared and lost in the mix.
Weird. Mine are not doing that. One voice will go up, the other one down, then one voice will stay the same, the other one will go down, both voices will go up, etc.. not sure the logic behind the random lfo per voice, but it doesn't seem to be doing what you say on my Tetra.

Truth be told, I like the sound of slowly phasing oscillators better, rather than the offset, and then just holding their pitch. I like a slow moving, barely registering lfo set to a low value. You can also make it even less than 1 if you set your first lfo to zero, and then modulate that lfo's amount with a second lfo at a very low value like 1. Maybe that doesn't make sense? But, it seems to work..

I think a slow moving lfo is a prettier, more "analog" sound then just forced offsets without any movement, regardless of the theory behind it all. So, the random lfo thing is probably something I wouldn't use anyway. I'd use a triangle and not key sync it. But, still very subtle. You still get the beating of the oscillators, especially if you add a second osc doing a slowly morphing pulse width. You can also play with the values a bit more, it has a subtler effect. Going up to 2 or 3 on the amount...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
Weird. Mine are not doing that. One voice will go up, the other one down, then one voice will stay the same, the other one will go down, both voices will go up, etc.. not sure the logic behind the random lfo per voice, but it doesn't seem to be doing what you say on my Tetra.

Truth be told, I like the sound of slowly phasing oscillators better, rather than the offset, and then just holding their pitch. I like a slow moving, barely registering lfo set to 1. You can also make it even less than 1 if you set your first lfo to zero, and then modulate that lfo's amount with a second lfo at a very low value like 1. Maybe that doesn't make sense? But, it seems to work..

I think a slow moving lfo is a prettier, more "analog" sound then just forced offsets without any movement, regardless of the theory behind it all. So, the random lfo thing is probably something I wouldn't use anyway. I'd use a triangle and not key sync it. But, still very subtle. You still get the beating of the oscillators, especially if you add a second osc doing a slowly morphing pulse width. You can also play with the values a bit more, it has a subtler effect. Going up to 2 or 3 on the amount...
That's the thing. Traditional LFO to pitch variation is a given sonic territory that has its benefits. VCM is another territory that also has its benefits, in a more fixed and qualitatively different way compared to the global LFO method.

Phasing FTW. YMMV
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral View Post
Wow, there's some strange vitriol here toward the Rev2.
I know, it’s kind of odd. What I really don’t understand is the people who say the Matrix 1000 is better. That’s pretty crazy, if you ask me. I read all the Matrix 1000 hype and poured through every demo I could find of it and I couldn’t find anything. I mean, I wouldn’t call it bad, but what a snooze.

There are also people who say the Deepmind is the best thing since sliced bread. I found it to be fair at best and really only got decent with it’s effects. Running my Tetras though the exact same effect processor (X-Air 12) gave me worlds better results. Of course, that’s just an opinion.

I really think the problem with the Prophet 08 line and it’s derivatives are their name. I think people hear “Prophet” and think Prophet 5 and want everything to be a Prophet 5 rev 2. He should have named it the Oracle and the MoPho should have been the Delphi, or something. Dave sucks as a namer, as we all well know.

The Prophet 08 was my third analog poly. I had a 106 in the early 80s. Someone gave me a Poly 800 in the early 90s. Then, nothing analog for another decade and a half. I loved it, but I had nothing really fresh in my mind to compare it to. I’d been using hardware VA and software for a really long time. At one point I sold it... I’m not entirely sure why, but I know that my plan was to use the proceeds to buy two Tetras... and then I didn’t. Well, not right away. I went without an analog poly, again for a pretty long stretch. I missed it, but not terribly. Then I got the Prophet 6. Now, you’d think that I’d say, “oh yeah, that’s the stuff,” and not give the Tetra idea another thought, but the opposite happened. I thought, “oh yeah, that’s the stuff. I bet it would be even more amazing if i had the Tetras to pair it with.”

Anyway, I stupidly got rid of the Tetras and the Tempest, thinking that the 12 would give me enough of both of those, but the truth is, I still miss it. Not just the mod sequencer, though that’s a big part of it. I miss the sound of those static buzzy oscillators going though that filter. I’ve not been able to get quite that same lonely BoC kind of vibe out of the Prophet 12, and it’s definitely not in the Peak. If all goes well, I hope to have a Poly Evolver rack come Christmas, but if I can’t find one, I’ll go for a REV2 module.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I know, it’s kind of odd. What I really don’t understand is the people who say the Matrix 1000 is better. That’s pretty crazy, if you ask me. I read all the Matrix 1000 hype and poured through every demo I could find of it and I couldn’t find anything. I mean, I wouldn’t call it bad, but what a snooze.
I got a Matrix 1000 just weeks before I got a Rev2. I did an A/B sonic comparison between the two, and found that the M1000 was slightly thicker and more direct. But I attribute most of that to it being mono, although there is still a slightly more favorable quality and response compared to the Rev2. The difference is real.

Using Midi Designer to tweak the M1000 in real time is fun, despite the lag in synthesis parameter update sometimes. (I don't have the firmware upgrade).

But what the M1000 has in historic patches and a more direct sound, the Rev2 more than makes up for those with its bi-timbral, stereo, waveshaping, aftertouch keyboard.
Old 3 weeks ago
vlz
Gear Addict

Quote:

There are also people who say the Deepmind is the best thing since sliced bread. I found it to be fair at best and really only got decent with it’s effects. Running my Tetras though the exact same effect processor (X-Air 12) gave me worlds better results. Of course, that’s just an opinion.

I really think the problem with the Prophet 08 line and it’s derivatives are their name. I think people hear “Prophet” and think Prophet 5 and want everything to be a Prophet 5 rev 2. He should have named it the Oracle and the MoPho should have been the Delphi, or something. Dave sucks as a namer, as we all well know.

The Prophet 08 was my third analog poly. I had a 106 in the early 80s. Someone gave me a Poly 800 in the early 90s. Then, nothing analog for another decade and a half. I loved it, but I had nothing really fresh in my mind to compare it to. I’d been using hardware VA and software for a really long time. At one point I sold it... I’m not entirely sure why, but I know that my plan was to use the proceeds to buy two Tetras... and then I didn’t. Well, not right away. I went without an analog poly, again for a pretty long stretch. I missed it, but not terribly. Then I got the Prophet 6. Now, you’d think that I’d say, “oh yeah, that’s the stuff,” and not give the Tetra idea another thought, but the opposite happened. I thought, “oh yeah, that’s the stuff. I bet it would be even more amazing if i had the Tetras to pair it with.”

Anyway, I stupidly got rid of the Tetras and the Tempest, thinking that the 12 would give me enough of both of those, but the truth is, I still miss it. Not just the mod sequencer, though that’s a big part of it. I miss the sound of those static buzzy oscillators going though that filter. I’ve not been able to get quite that same lonely BoC kind of vibe out of the Prophet 12, and it’s definitely not in the Peak. If all goes well, I hope to have a Poly Evolver rack come Christmas, but if I can’t find one, I’ll go for a REV2 module.
A 30-year old rack synth with NO EDITING capabilities outside plugging it into a computer and using a slow MIDI connection versus a modern keyboard synth with a full UI and more modulation resources. Good grief.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Anyway, I stupidly got rid of the Tetras and the Tempest, thinking that the 12 would give me enough of both of those . . . I’ll go for a REV2 module.
I told you not to sell your Tetras and your Tempest, zero!!! I think you should definitely pick up a Rev2 module this Xmas, since I know you're partial to the P'08 sound, and because I think the Rev2 sounds notably smoother/fizzier (in a good way) than the P'08/Tetras. You're welcome!

By the way, there's a B-stock Mopho x4 at ProAudioStar right now for only $699! Quite a deal for a quality aftertouch-synth (as you know, basically half a P'08, but with a two-octave sub-osc, plus a feedback-circuit). Additional current B-stock deals: Rev2 16-voice module for $1,439; Rev2 16-voice keyboard for $1,599; and lastly, a B-stock Prophet-X for only $2,999.

This thread is even getting me nostalgic for my twice-returned Rev2 keyboard (but, ya know I bought the Mopho x4 to compensate).

By the way, I think creativespiral is really onto something. I think the proof is definitely in the pudding if you listen to his demo. Had I known the Rev2 had this capability I definitely would've thought twice about returning. Hmmm . . . somehow I see a Rev2 module in my future, perhaps . . .

Quote:
Wow, there's some strange vitriol here toward the Rev2 . . .
Yeah, and I kind of get it. The Rev2 was my very first analog synth, so during the first few days, of course, I was in love with it (nothing does a Tom Sawyer sweep like the Rev2), but I soon found my limited programming finesse couldn't program me out of a paper bag and just couldn't escape the Rev2's signature brassy, nasally tone.

Little did I know that had I backed off the oscillators a bit, I may have found some ready solace. But I think many will agree, it's a synth with a sometimes hard-to-find sweet-spot, and not necessarily the best machine for the uninitiated.

Quote:
The Rev2 is an extremely deep and capable synth, that covers far more territory than any modern VCO poly (save the one) . . . 16 voices, two full timbral synth engines, deep modulation matrix and sequencer, etc . . .
Well, put that way, it sounds like a great synth! And that's also part of its problem. On paper, it looks great, I think leading many to believe it's a more feature-packed, poor man's version of a Prophet-6 (it's not).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
My guitars don't sound great going out of tune or if the intonation is out, so why is this fetishised amongst these forums?
Your guitar is never as in tune as an instrument that constantly tunes itself.
And if it even was, you would still have to press on the frets exactly the same way every time to produce exactly the same pitch every time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Your guitar is never as in tune as an instrument that constantly tunes itself.
And if it even was, you would still have to press on the frets exactly the same way every time to produce exactly the same pitch every time.
Yes I know.

Do people here not read? My point was the variances in pitch with a guitar is within a far smaller frame than what appears to be deemed acceptable with VCO's.
The mention of these old polys being out as much as 15cents is to me, out of tune, not 'character'.

I think right now my SH101 is out by about 7cents across the keyboard and its out of tune to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The mention of these old polys being out as much as 15cents is to me, out of tune, not 'character'.
That i agree with 100%.
In my favorite software synth i usually set random pitch at about +-7 cents, then 50-60Hz triangle LFO to oscillator pitch by maybe 3 cents, then slow S/G LFO to oscillator pitch 3 to 5 cents.
That combo rarely goes beyond 9-10 cents from perfect pitch and sounds way better than it.

Quote:
I think right now my SH101 is out by about 7cents across the keyboard and its out of tune to me.
A big difference between a soloist going 7 cents out of tune and choir members doing the same (it averages out to 0 cents).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
A big difference between a soloist going 7 cents out of tune and choir members doing the same (it averages out to 0 cents).
Of course.

My point here is about receiving S/H synths that are out of tune, so people are clearly using these things fundamentally out of tune to start with: The starting point is out of tune, rather than applying detuning or modulation to achieve a particular sound with a particular offset.
Which lead to me suggesting that VCM may give legitimacy to the sound of poorly maintained and out of tune synths as what to strive for.

Its very easy to get comfortable with an instrument drifting out as well, happens to me all the time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Of course.

My point here is about receiving S/H synths that are out of tune, so people are clearly using these things fundamentally out of tune to start with: The starting point is out of tune, rather than applying detuning or modulation to achieve a particular sound with a particular offset.
Which lead to me suggesting that VCM may give legitimacy to the sound of poorly maintained and out of tune synths as what to strive for.

Its very easy to get comfortable with an instrument drifting out as well, happens to me all the time.
Yeah, I don’t think that I could live with tuning that far off either, but when I set “random” to control all the pitches of my oscillators with a value of 1, I got really slight variances that I measured to be no more than +-4, and I thought it sounded good. Maybe placebo? Not sure, but I came up with a pretty cool brass pad.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I told you not to sell your Tetras and your Tempest, zero!!! I think you should definitely pick up a Rev2 module this Xmas, since I know you're partial to the P'08 sound, and because I think the Rev2 sounds notably smoother/fizzier (in a good way) than the P'08/Tetras. You're welcome!
Yeah, I knew it was a mistake as it was happening. I got that feeling that you only get when you’re making a mistake, but I didn’t feel that way until the second auction had ended.

Quote:
By the way, there's a B-stock Mopho x4 at ProAudioStar right now for only $699! Quite a deal for a quality aftertouch-synth (as you know, basically half a P'08, but with a two-octave sub-osc, plus a feedback-circuit). Additional current B-stock deals: Rev2 16-voice module for $1,439; Rev2 16-voice keyboard for $1,599; and lastly, a B-stock Prophet-X for only $2,999.
Yeah, no room for a X4, or any keyboard at this point. The plus side of what I did is that now I have a much more ergonomic setup than I had before. I can hide the Tetras, but what I really think the best solution is, is the Poly Evolver. I think I could do with a smaller voice count in exchange for all the extras you get on that synth, and the rack is a perfect form factor for my needs.

Quote:
This thread is even getting me nostalgic for my twice-returned Rev2 keyboard (but, ya know I bought the Mopho x4 to compensate).

By the way, I think creativespiral is really onto something. I think the proof is definitely in the pudding if you listen to his demo. Had I known the Rev2 had this capability I definitely would've thought twice about returning. Hmmm . . . somehow I see a Rev2 module in my future, perhaps . . .
I told you not to sell your REV2!

Quote:
Yeah, and I kind of get it. The Rev2 was my very first analog synth, so during the first few days, of course, I was in love with it (nothing does a Tom Sawyer sweep like the Rev2), but I soon found my limited programming finesse couldn't program me out of a paper bag and just couldn't escape the Rev2's signature brassy, nasally tone.
I’d be lying if I said that I’ve never purchased an instrument and later got rid of it because of ignorance. Sometimes out of even just my mood at the time. I’m now a bit better about such things. My knee jerk reaction to the Peak was, “send it back,” but I’m not going to until I’ve had it at least 3-4 months. Not that it sounds bad in any way... I can’t even quite put my finger on it... though better now that I have an editor. I really didn’t like spending time in those menus.

Quote:
Little did I know that had I backed off the oscillators a bit, I may have found some ready solace. But I think many will agree, it's a synth with a sometimes hard-to-find sweet-spot, and not necessarily the best machine for the uninitiated.
You can’t back off the oscillators on the 08s. They’re like your Tetra, oscillator balance only... unless there’s something about the REV2 that I don’t know about.

Quote:
Well, put that way, it sounds like a great synth! And that's also part of its problem. On paper, it looks great, I think leading many to believe it's a more feature-packed, poor man's version of a Prophet-6 (it's not).
It is a great synth. It’s just not for everyone. The problem with this thread... well, with people in general, is that we’re so damn tribal. We used to rely on religion and country for such things, but not so much now. Well, at least not that much here. Maybe the mods just clean that up... So a lot of us start feeling angry when you’re worshipping the wrong synth god, or worshipping the right synth god in the wrong way. I mean, I get the guy who wanders into this thread to say, “Yeah, I tried out the REV2 and I didn’t like the tone that much,” but what’s up with the person who sticks around to convince you that you’re enjoyment of the same tone is wrong. It’s like going to a Mexican restaurant and hanging out next to tables where someone’s passed on cilantro and then never stopping trying to get them to like it.

But what gets us to get such strong feelings about a sound? I should start a thread on that. I mean, I feel it pretty intensely about some specific kinds of sounds... like the crunch in the attack of a guitar running though a pushed tube amp, or the sound of a 11-16 bit wavetable running though an analog filter (but it’s got to be the right filter and 8 bits is too low! ). This will sound odd, but what I like most about the Curtis chip DSI synths is that they don’t sound very good, but they sound bad in a very specific way that I love. It helps that I have synths that I do feel sound very good. “Got to take the good with the bad.”
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
It is a wise caution and I do take it on board.

I do however feel like I didn’t give it enough time to get to know it. After reading numerous people say that it took them 6 months or more to gel with the Rev2 and sharing similar experiences to my own I do tend to think that it’s a “grower” and that I possibly jumped the gun.

Having said that, I’m going to hold off for a few months for the dust to settle before buying it again as I want to make sure this time before re-buying. 3rd time lucky an’ all that.
I had a rev2 from when it first came out and kept it for about a year. It did grow on me over time. I thought it was alright but not as "fun" as other synths I've had. Couldn't quite put my finger on what it was maybe I was jaded by previous really fun synths. I have owned almost every DSI and many many others. I don't get stuck on one synth and really enjoy using new synths for a while as they are released.

Anyway I traded the rev2 for a barely used prophet12 quite a while ago and I am still very happy with the trade. Maybe that would work for you? I still wanted a poly with lots of voices, lots of mod and 61 keys. The digital osc doesn't bother me because I can make sounds just as inspiring to me as on pure analog (which I also have). I did own the p12 module years before and to me the keyboard version blows the module away for the "fun" factor of programming.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I miss the sound of those static buzzy oscillators going though that filter. I’ve not been able to get quite that same lonely BoC kind of vibe out of the Prophet 12
I felt the same way about the p12 module. But not about the p12 keyboard. I know it should not be like that but must be something about having all the knobs available for a slight tweak here or there on distortion, feedback, character, osc levels... all within a few seconds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can’t back off the oscillators on the 08s. They’re like your Tetra, oscillator balance only... unless there’s something about the REV2 that I don’t know about.
No you can't and I have realized in my old age that I need to be able to control how hot the osc drives the filter.
Old 3 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:

You can with the patch master volume. Which, I actually like to push. I like the slightly overloaded sound. You can also by tweaking the velocity settings in the amp envelope and then limiting velocity on your keyboard. I think maybe the amp velocity amount settings might be before filter, which would be how to control the amp driving the filter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What VA synths do you know of that offer per-voice modeling of oscillators, filters, amps and envelopes? I don't think its as common as you might think. Monophonic unison detune is prevalent, and there are some other synths that offer "Slop like" controls, but those are not the same as poly voice modeling... its a totally different animal.

I did some research a few weeks ago and figured out that SonicProjects OP-X and u-He Diva VSTs have some limited capability for voice offsets for oscillators. But both pale in comparison, in terms of capabilities and flexibility that the Rev2 has. (I have recently purchased OP-X Pro II and its awesome, btw)

With the Rev2 you can model basically anything though... you can set virtual voice counts and target attributes on a per voice basis: osc frequency, shape mod, noise, envelope attack, decay, release, resonance, audio mod, vca levels, and even complex macro type behaviors like oscillator settle envelopes, glitch envelopes, harmonic freq jitter, and other characteristics common to classic poly synths from the 70s/80s... everything can have offsets unique to the voices... just like the voice boards on synths of yesteryear.

Given similar filters and similar general architecture, I'd say the Rev2 may be more capable of modeling classic poly synth sounds than even some modern VCO poly synths.
I think this aptly illustrates the creative “great divide” on GS about all this stuff: do you want a synth that out of the box does all these micro variant things for you? Or do you want a synth that gives you extensive and deep control over all of them?

I disagree with those who mischaracterize the latter synths as “polishing a turd,” when to me, it’s a question of knowing and learning what does what, extensively in such a synth, to the point where you’ve mastered the “complexity” and now have a full range of access to what, in my mind, is a more flexible synth.

With those synths that have simpler controls, a lot of the micro variations are built in, towards familiar, classic “sweet spots” and so are much more instantly recognizable for those whose ears are trained by the recorded sounds of 70’s/80’s synthesis.

I’ve always preferred the former; maybe it’s that as a gamer, I’m more accustomed to the satisfaction of solving complex puzzles? Don’t know.

I know that the whole VCO “jitter” thing is not new (wrong word for it, as that has a specific connotation in digital audio in terms of small-scale timing issues at the sample level). I’ve used various techniques to introduce noise or micro variation in subtle ways in patches for literally a decade now; it’s one of the easiest ways to “warm up” oscillator sound. It’s why barely discernible noise is often added to classic bass tracks, to give them a fuller sound, for example.

Interesting conversation, nonetheless, and I’m sad markodarko is wasting so much time and money dithering on the Rev2, which in my mind is a more interesting synth than either of the DSI 6 synths.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
You can with the patch master volume. Which, I actually like to push. I like the slightly overloaded sound. You can also by tweaking the velocity settings in the amp envelope and then limiting velocity on your keyboard. I think maybe the amp velocity amount settings might be before filter, which would be how to control the amp driving the filter.
I don’t think that makes sense... but I could be wrong. I thought all amp settings were post filter.

That said, I see why they did it that way. That Curtis filter doesn’t sing like other filters when you hit it too hard. It can just sound kind of harsh. It’s why a lot of people don’t like the Prophet 12 as much. They hit that filter with full oscillator volume x4 and it’s not that pleasant.
Old 3 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don’t think that makes sense... but I could be wrong. I thought all amp settings were post filter.

That said, I see why they did it that way. That Curtis filter doesn’t sing like other filters when you hit it too hard. It can just sound kind of harsh. It’s why a lot of people don’t like the Prophet 12 as much. They hit that filter with full oscillator volume x4 and it’s not that pleasant.
yeah possibly. All I know is that to "back off the oscillators" to me would mean tweaking the amp envelope velocity, amp env. amount, and master patch volume. If I drive all of these settings, I think it gives it a bit of an overdriven sound, without having to mess with the whole volume feedback and volume gain functions. Maybe those functions are going back into the filter, which is why they often sound like crap...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I’m sad markodarko is wasting so much time and money dithering on the Rev2
Well fret not, mon ami, for today resulted in a revelation. A revelation I tell thee!

Intrigued by the sequencer doodaar, I booted up Alchemy to check whether I was right about the step sequencer and, it turns out - I was wrong. It does have a sequencer but there appears to be no way to make it advance on key press - unless anyone knows how to do this...?

Oh well.

However! After that I just started playing around with Alchemy to see if I could get close to one of the patches I made and liked on the Rev2 (there really were only 2 I was happy with) and to my surprise, not only could I get close but I actually preferred the patch in Alchemy!

Turns out it’s around £1629 cheaper too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Amazing the amount of hate the rev2 (and prophet 8 before it) get. I can think of a ton of artists who use them and are amazing.

Rival consoles sound and setup is based around his prophet 8 and pedals and his music is brilliant.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Amazing the amount of hate the rev2 (and prophet 8 before it) get . . .
It's amazing the amount of hate people get for not liking a particular synth. My GF doesn't like chocolate, so go figure. It's also not so much about hating; for me, I liked the Prophet-6's sound just a whole lot better and was able to get a new P6 keyboard for less than a new Rev2 16-voice keyboard. If the P6 and Rev2 were the exact same price, how many would still opt for the Rev2 over the P6?

Quote:
Oh well . . .
No one's putting a gun to your head to like the Rev2. You didn't like it. I didn't either.

Quote:
I told you not to sell your REV2!

Quote:
This will sound odd, but what I like most about the Curtis chip DSI synths is that they don’t sound very good, but they sound bad in a very specific way that I love . . .
I actually think I know what you mean. I really liked my Rev2 for a very specific sound—that ultra-fizzy updated Curtis sound not present in the '08, and I don't think is quite there in my Mopho x4 either. But, dammit if I couldn't make it do anything else.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well fret not, mon ami, for today resulted in a revelation. A revelation I tell thee!

Intrigued by the sequencer doodaar, I booted up Alchemy to check whether I was right about the step sequencer and, it turns out - I was wrong. It does have a sequencer but there appears to be no way to make it advance on key press - unless anyone knows how to do this...?

Oh well.

However! After that I just started playing around with Alchemy to see if I could get close to one of the patches I made and liked on the Rev2 (there really were only 2 I was happy with) and to my surprise, not only could I get close but I actually preferred the patch in Alchemy!

Turns out it’s around £1629 cheaper too.

Well then, I'm glad you are happy; and now you have almost enough left over to get a Matriarch! Which you should not miss, though I will have to.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's amazing the amount of hate people get for not liking a particular synth. My GF doesn't like chocolate, so go figure. It's also not so much about hating; for me, I liked the Prophet-6's sound just a whole lot better and was able to get a new P6 keyboard for less than a new Rev2 16-voice keyboard. If the P6 and Rev2 were the exact same price, how many would still opt for the Rev2 over the P6?

I didn’t say people have to like it I said it’s amazing (as in I’m surprised) so many people hate on it.

To be honest I don’t think any particular synth is heart stopping it’s what’s made with it and how people use them that counts.

It’s how someone uses a tool to capture something spiritual or dare I say how they add soul that is important. Which is why x vs y vs a vs b arguments don’t really have an answer. I’d like to see which synth allows me to lock into the universal vibe and capture a sneaky bit of it in some music posts
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's amazing the amount of hate people get for not liking a particular synth. My GF doesn't like chocolate, so go figure.
I haven’t seen a lot of “hate” for people who don’t gel with a given synth. What I see more often is a lot of frustrated folks when someone who doesn’t like a synth insists on wading into every thread for the synth to convince everyone else they shouldn’t like it, either.

Does your girlfriend spend time trolling forums for people who like chocolate, trying to change their minds? Somehow I doubt it, but you never know. Some people have strange hobbies.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well... I heard much more sounds that i actually liked from REV2 than from P-6.
Maybe it is not as good at "vintage", but that is only a small part of a wide range of sounds that give me sonic pleasure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 View Post
No you can't and I have realized in my old age that I need to be able to control how hot the osc drives the filter.
I spent time today with the Prophet 12 with the sole intention of seeing how close I could get it to the basic 08 sound. Now, I didn’t really have one with me, so I was going by demos and tutorial videos, but the end result was, very close. I didn’t see if the filter FM sounded the same, but I was able to get very close to many of the sounds and I can even get some mod sequencer stuff using Bigwig. You also get full control of osc volume x4 and a bunch of other goodies, too many to get into.

I’m sure if I had them side by side I’d find a bunch of differences, but the patch I made was just as good as similar stuff I did with my Tetras. Enough to think that my idea to get yet another DSI synth is silly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As great as the P6 is, there's plenty of reasons to opt for a Rev 2. The voice count, DCO's, bi-timbrality and extensive modulation make it a great synth for live use particularly. At the very least, its a hugely powerful analogue polysynth at a decent price.

Owning both, they are a great compliment to each other as their strengths lie in different places. If people are after what the P6 does best, then it makes sense they'd not get along with the Rev 2, but there is a tendency to act as if its a bad synth because it doesn't fit that criteria and it has got to the point of particular people acting as if those less concerned by that criteria or just have different needs have bad ears or don't care about good tone. All too often there's a tendency with people who wish to boast about their particular obsession with 'tone' forget people have different needs & uses, even a different tone to suit what they do.

I did want to sell it after getting the P6 as having two analogue polys, particularly two DSI ones seemed a little overkill, but I can't bring myself to, would have done if I had got a decent deal on a P12, but picked up a Pro 2 recently. That said, the Summit does look interesting and there's always that itch to sell all of it & pick up a Moog One!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spent time today with the Prophet 12 with the sole intention of seeing how close I could get it to the basic 08 sound. Now, I didn’t really have one with me, so I was going by demos and tutorial videos, but the end result was, very close. I didn’t see if the filter FM sounded the same, but I was able to get very close to many of the sounds and I can even get some mod sequencer stuff using Bigwig. You also get full control of osc volume x4 and a bunch of other goodies, too many to get into.

I’m sure if I had them side by side I’d find a bunch of differences, but the patch I made was just as good as similar stuff I did with my Tetras. Enough to think that my idea to get yet another DSI synth is silly.
Yeah osc volume x4 are mod destinations on the 12 which made me think... on the rev2 there is osc1 level as a destination and osc mix (which is good because no osc2 level dest) so with dc as the source you should be able to control the levels into the filter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I haven’t seen a lot of “hate” for people who don’t gel with a given synth. What I see more often is a lot of frustrated folks when someone who doesn’t like a synth insists on wading into every thread for the synth to convince everyone else they shouldn’t like it, either.
True, and that's often annoying as well. I just mentioned it based on my experience in one particular thread I started where I asked others to help me compare the Curtis-filter implementation on three different DSI synths—it wasn't a "Which synth is better?" thread. Rev2 fans came out of the woodwork to chide me for not liking the Rev2 and preferring the Mopho x4 and virtually every post was off-topic in that regard. Not a fun thread with the vast majority of the replies completely ignoring the question in the original topic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search