The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia Uno Drum
Old 11th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Thank you for the comments and idea.
nor any issue with noise even when powered via USB.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqBD3DLRvV4

I just picked got my Uno Drum in the mail and the noise floor on it seems higher than any of the demos I've come across (e.g. this video or the soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/ikmultimedia/sets/audio-demo ). Could that mean my unit is defective? Its not horrible but definitely present to the point that I'm hesitant to hold onto the unit... Its definitely higher than the analog Volcas I've used.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartzite View Post
I just picked got my Uno Drum in the mail and the noise floor on it seems higher than any of the demos I've come across (e.g. this video or the soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/ikmultimedia/sets/audio-demo ). Could that mean my unit is defective? Its not horrible but definitely present to the point that I'm hesitant to hold onto the unit... Its definitely higher than the analog Volcas I've used.
Please check out the information about noise (focusing mostly on USB bus noise) on the UNO Drum Specs page and see if that helps. If not, IK Support can definitely at least check out what's going on for you and advise directly.

We also just posted a video that is straight from UNO Drum with no post processing that doesn't exhibit a high noise floor:

https://youtu.be/-t2EAo6nBUQ

Old 11th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
When I owned a Zoom ARQ I had to buy a USB Isolator to drop the noise. I'm starting to think almost anything musical that is USB powered has these noise issues (not phones or tablets, strangely).

This is the exact isolator that worked for me, and it comes in handy for a lot of modern music gear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07235PR4V..._NF2jDb3ZHBWPZ
Old 11th July 2019
Quote:
Please check out the information about noise (focusing mostly on USB bus noise) on the UNO Drum Specs page and see if that helps. If not, IK Support can definitely at least check out what's going on for you and advise directly.

We also just posted a video that is straight from UNO Drum with no post processing that doesn't exhibit a high noise floor:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm having the same issue with battery and usb power. I'll take a look at it more after work today and maybe record a demo.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm having the same issue with battery and usb power. I'll take a look at it more after work today and maybe record a demo.
No problem. It would be best to just open a ticket with support - they may not even need a demo.

Also, we JUST released an UNO Drum firmware update, so I'd suggest updating that too.
Old 12th July 2019
For what its worth, I'm not getting the amount of noise I was getting this morning. Maybe my headphones were shorting things out, they've gotten a bit wonky? Hopefully whatever it was doesn't come back.

I gotta say, I love the sound of this machine! Kick 1 has a lot of versatility with the FM. The sweep time to be a bit weird in that it doesn't reset with the trigger, but its also nice in that it adds an lfo of sorts to the drum.

Lastly, I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the snare LPF? Turning the knob the label is under with snare selected causes the display to blink but not change any value? Actually I'm having the same problem with Kick2 Snap as well..
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
For what its worth, I'm not getting the amount of noise I was getting this morning. Maybe my headphones were shorting things out, they've gotten a bit wonky? Hopefully whatever it was doesn't come back.

I gotta say, I love the sound of this machine! Kick 1 has a lot of versatility with the FM. The sweep time to be a bit weird in that it doesn't reset with the trigger, but its also nice in that it adds an lfo of sorts to the drum.

Lastly, I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the snare LPF? Turning the knob the label is under with snare selected causes the display to blink but not change any value? Actually I'm having the same problem with Kick2 Snap as well..
Glad to hear everything is working better for you now.

Make sure to select the "An" option in the Sound list for your Snare. This will be the analog snare option which includes the LPF option. This will be the same for your Kick. Each of the 6 analog elements have their own parameters and the PCM element have the same type of controls. Each elements parameter is different based on its electronics and musical nature. Check out Section 4 in your UNO DRUM user manual at the link below for a full description.

ikmanual.com/unodrum
Old 14th July 2019
Ah yes! I should have rtfm :P (have now!).

Some thoughts on the Uno Drum:

Want:
- Polyrhythms
- Copy Page / Bar to allow expanding the pattern size easily
- Larger range on analog sounds (longer BD/Tom Decay and snap not turning completely off ranged come to mind. I'm not sure if the whole range is mapped)

Wish it had, but know it won't:
- Better pads, at least one of mine is really inconsistent
- low pass filter for all digi sounds
- better battery life (I get 1.5 hours on new fully charged lithiums)
- at least 2 outs
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone else picked up a Drum yet? Any regrets or returns? Seems to be a some amount of negativity here and elsewhere and now I'm hesitant to buy one. Looks like such a fun box aside from the initial reception of early adopters.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
Anyone else picked up a Drum yet? Any regrets or returns? Seems to be a some amount of negativity here and elsewhere and now I'm hesitant to buy one. Looks like such a fun box aside from the initial reception of early adopters.
I really like the sound. Battery life is like 1-2 hours, I'm still struggling with noise on the outputs regardless of the power source and at least 1 of the pads requires much firmer pressure than the others...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I really like the sound. Battery life is like 1-2 hours, I'm still struggling with noise on the outputs regardless of the power source and at least 1 of the pads requires much firmer pressure than the others...
Battery life will vary on the battery type used. For longer sessions we suggest rechargeable (Ni-MH) type batteries. These will last much longer than disposable (Alkaline) type batteries.

For your noise issue, please contact support.

Be sure to update your firmware in the meantime. The firmware update download can be found here.

The pads should all use the same amount of force, these are not velocity sensitive. If you haven't tried enabling the two-zone velocity function, try it out and let me know if it helps. Tap ALT, then Open HH/Pad Vel. Use the DATA knob to select on or off. This will make the top and bottom of your pads send two different velocities which is great for adding a little bit of extra feel to your jams.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like I need to wait a few until they get some issues worked out. Both of those problems sound like hardware issues (but who knows...) so let us know if IK sends you a new unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like I need to wait a few until they get some issues worked out. Both of those problems sound like hardware issues (but who knows...) so let us know if IK sends you a new unit.
I'm sure support will work out any issues the poster you replied to is having and likely without the need for a replacement unit (though, as other manufacturers do and is the unfortunate state of affairs at times, sometimes a replacement unit is a quicker and easier fix even if the issue isn't with the actual unit). We have many using UNO Drum without any issues, including noise.

For example, we've posted these videos (the one about Stutter FX was already posted above for the same reason) of UNO Drum and other similar videos where the audio is straight out of UNO Drum with no post processing. Sounds and works great:

https://youtu.be/ic2wiCIUk-c

https://youtu.be/kMb1-hfCUBc

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks for the update.

I'm returning my current unit to B&H and trying another one. Operating via battery completely stopped working for me (I tried with fresh batts..). I truly do like the engine though. But if it doesn't work out I may upgrade to a Tanzbar 2 instead (tho that seems to have its own issues).

Last edited by quartzite; 4 weeks ago at 04:43 PM.. Reason: poor word choice
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm returning my current unit to B&H and trying another one. Charging via battery completely stopped working for me (I tried with fresh batts..). I truly do like the engine though. But if it doesn't work out I may upgrade to a Tanzbar 2 instead (tho that seems to have its own issues).
The unit does not charge batteries. Using a powerbank, which has a lot more power than separate batteries give you plenty of time without a power supply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
The unit does not charge batteries. Using a powerbank, which has a lot more power than separate batteries give you plenty of time without a power supply.
By charging I meant operating.
Old 4 weeks ago
New one just came in the mail. Less noise floor than the last 1 though there is still a little bit of hiss (nothing worse than my monotribe). The issue with the cowbell pad seems to persist to this unit, it requires a much firmer press than any others. It seems the old unit is working with batteries again today, I'm not sure what was up before. Still sending it back, sadly there is no way to store/load my patterns/kits.

I'm going to hold onto it as I try out a Tanzbar 2 and see what my feeling is. I'm probably willing to sell a synth I have (to offset cost) and go the more boutique route.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For example, we've posted these videos (the one about Stutter FX was already posted above for the same reason) of UNO Drum and other similar videos where the audio is straight out of UNO Drum with no post processing. Sounds and works great:
The problem is I don't know if those are PP/EB units or a random sample plucked off the line or what. As a consumer, I'm more interested in the experience of other consumers, not your marketing materials. I hope that doesn't come off as being snarky or mean-spirited, it is not intended to be, I'm just trying to avoid any hassle. I've done plenty of consulting for companies in the CDG electronics market and I'm very familiar with production issues and having to do board revisions/re-spins when a bad design went out to the CM, etc. I'm a fairly chronic early adopter, which means taking risks, but there are also times when a little caution is warranted.

You've already sold me on the Drum - I'll buy one - just making sure you guys have it all together first!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The issue with the cowbell pad seems to persist to this unit, it requires a much firmer press than any others.

You can actually see this in the above video at about time index 9:13. He's tapping the pads and the cowbell doesn't trigger, he comes back to it and it still doesn't play when he hits it the second time. Later on he comments on the slightly disappointing responsiveness of the pads and while doing so the cowbell pad is actively selected. Sounds like you aren't the only one with the issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem is I don't know if those are PP/EB units or a random sample plucked off the line or what. As a consumer, I'm more interested in the experience of other consumers, not your marketing materials. I hope that doesn't come off as being snarky or mean-spirited, it is not intended to be, I'm just trying to avoid any hassle. I've done plenty of consulting for companies in the CDG electronics market and I'm very familiar with production issues and having to do board revisions/re-spins when a bad design went out to the CM, etc. I'm a fairly chronic early adopter, which means taking risks, but there are also times when a little caution is warranted.

You've already sold me on the Drum - I'll buy one - just making sure you guys have it all together first!
The videos are done on a unit that is identical to what you'd find in the stores. No alterations, no special setup, no post processing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You can actually see this in the above video at about time index 9:13. He's tapping the pads and the cowbell doesn't trigger, he comes back to it and it still doesn't play when he hits it the second time. Later on he comments on the slightly disappointing responsiveness of the pads and while doing so the cowbell pad is actively selected. Sounds like you aren't the only one with the issue.
Both look like an extremely light touch that even a standard pad wouldn't recognize. Also, might not be fully updated to the latest firmware.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Both look like an extremely light touch that even a standard pad wouldn't recognize. Also, might not be fully updated to the latest firmware.
lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol
It wasn't a joke, nor was it untrue. At least it wasn't like the time where the video clearly showed the pad area not being hit at all, yet complaining of a "missed" hit...

This is capsense, not traditional pad. It is a different way to play, people adapt as they will with anything different and have no issues with it. Just like an $800 phone may miss a tap here and there, as there are different factors in play, including physical, with that kind of capsense interface.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search