The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog drun machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at?
Old 8th May 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Analog drum machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at?

I think I would like to purchase a dedicated analog drum machine that will allow me to do the usual bread and butter electronic drum sounds along with....well, anything I can create with the synth engine. The DSI Tempest is the only drum machine I've really looked at so far, but I'm sure there are at least a few others that people here would recommend I should probably also consider. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

Last edited by Quantum7; 8th May 2019 at 03:00 AM..
Old 8th May 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Vermona DRM1 + Beatstep Pro is a great combo.
Old 8th May 2019
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Depends on how much flexibility you need in the synthesis department, and whether you like the dsi filter etc..
For me the tempest is perfect, warts and all..
Old 8th May 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Never knew about the Vermona- sounds pretty cool for the price. I will check out more videos on it. The Tempest kicks butt, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'd use it enough to justify the hefty price.
Old 8th May 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Every one of them have annoying flaws and omissions, to the extent that none are so good that they're a great "only drum machine to have"...

IMO.

That said, Tempest is cool and powerful and definitely worth owning.

Vermona DRM mkIII sounds awesome but has no presets and no pads, but a great machine.

TR8S is cool if you want a X0X Sequencer and want to load your own samples or if you like ACB.

Drumbrute (both of them) have great Sequencers but meh-ish sounds, but they're still worth having.

And so on. They're all a PITA in one way or another, but they're all pretty cool just the same.

Buy them all.
Old 8th May 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

For under $1000 you can catch a Drumbrute Impact and a Vermona, and have a great Sequencer in a small package controlling a great Analog Drum Synth with tons of knobs via MIDI, plus extras... the Sequencer in the Brutes allow completely unquantized recording, too.
Old 8th May 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I think this video is the best sounding example of what the Vernona is capable of in the right hands.

Use headphones or adequate volume to hear the nuances and qualities therein. Pure DRM, no FX:

Old 8th May 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
I will take just about any PITA issue except for a "so, so sound". From the few videos I saw on the Drumbrute (both models), it sounded just "meh" to me, but maybe I didn't hear enough. The Tempest sounds great and the Verona sounds great. I think I'll look at my projections of the next 25 tracks that I know for sure I'll be working on, and if I'll be using percussion on at least 8 or 10 tracks, then I might as well go for the Tempest. Anything less than that perhaps the Verona will be fine enough to get the job done.....it certainly sounds great to my ears from the demos I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I think this video is the best sounding example of what the Vernona is capable of in the right hands.

Use headphones or adequate volume to hear the nuances and qualities therein. Pure DRM, no FX:

Yeah, this is the one that impressed me.
Old 8th May 2019
  #9
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
I’m a huge fan of the Tempest, but I think it’s best for creative and experimental kinds of electronic drums and percussion. It really shines when you layer samples with its synth engine. It’s also really interesting as a hybrid poly, which is how I mainly used it. Think of it as a 6 voice MoPho married an Evolver and had an kid that was raised my more mild mannered parents.

If I were to buy a dedicated hardware drum synth, there’s no doubt that I would buy a Vermona DRM1. Great sound. I need something with presets and I’m not going to really make a drum sound and sample it. I just use Goldbaby sample packs and Maschine. I’m lazy.
Old 8th May 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Elektron Analog Rytm is worth checking out- especially a used Mk 1 as they are pretty cheap now.

I don't rate the Drum Brute- had it, sold it quickly.
Old 8th May 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

drun machine.. what is that.. from planet dune ?

if it goes around drums, tempest was never finished, but is the modal under the drum machines.
if you find a tama techstar I would prefer it
Old 8th May 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m a huge fan of the Tempest, but I think it’s best for creative and experimental kinds of electronic drums and percussion. It really shines when you layer samples with its synth engine. It’s also really interesting as a hybrid poly, which is how I mainly used it. Think of it as a 6 voice MoPho married an Evolver and had an kid that was raised my more mild mannered parents.

If I were to buy a dedicated hardware drum synth, there’s no doubt that I would buy a Vermona DRM1. Great sound. I need something with presets and I’m not going to really make a drum sound and sample it. I just use Goldbaby sample packs and Maschine. I’m lazy.
I also suffer from the "lazy" bug. My wife just reminded me that I'm not especially a fan of not being able to save presets. Maybe the Tempest is the way to go....but my wallet likes the Vermona. Decisions, decisions.
Old 8th May 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Check out the Analog Rytm... It is an exceptional machine.
Old 8th May 2019
  #14
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I also suffer from the "lazy" bug. My wife just reminded me that I'm not especially a fan of not being able to save presets. Maybe the Tempest is the way to go....but my wallet likes the Vermona. Decisions, decisions.
Yeah, I’m the same. Which is why I don’t own any drum machine/synth. Er, except for a Tenori-on. That thing is fun, but not what you’re after.
Old 8th May 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Old 8th May 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Check out the Analog Rytm... It is an exceptional machine.
Yeah, I've been checking that one out also an am VERY impressed.
Old 8th May 2019
  #17
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Yeah, I've been checking that one out also an am VERY impressed.
Warning: sound design on an Elektron machine can be tedious. YMMV.
Old 8th May 2019
  #18
Deleted 063dc0d
Guest
Pioneer SP-16 sounds amazing.

Load your own samples and they will sound amazing, too.

I have a RYTM. I like it. But it doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as the SP-16.
Old 8th May 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Warning: sound design on an Elektron machine can be tedious. YMMV.
Really? D'oh! Why can't my choice be easy!!!
Old 8th May 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
 
channelite's Avatar
I’ve been using the Digitakt sequencing my MS2000r getting some really nice drum sounds. The MS2000r is a VA, but it think it sounds better than the Tempest which I sold and don’t miss.
Old 8th May 2019
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Elektron Rytm mkII. 8 analog drum voices. Sampler (which uses analog filter/signal chain). Individual Outs. Analog Distortion & Compressor.
Old 8th May 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

if you can afford it take a few boog and a beatstep pro ... a pure minimoog drummachine ..
you can also mix ms20 in the future
Old 8th May 2019
  #23
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlprNAnbK3U
The guy asked for a dedicated analogue drum machine ...

and you link to a random groovebox? You people don't even bother reading posts anymore...

OP, check out the old Jomox drum machines, or the Analog Rytm as suggested before. They are the best things on the market.
Old 8th May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
The guy asked for a dedicated analogue drum machine ...

and you link to a random groovebox? You people don't even read posts.
asked a drun machine.. serious..

a bit of fantasy is also part of it .. this is a controller .. you can connect what you want .. toaster coffee machine, etc.
dsi tempest has also digital oscillators with on board..blasphemy
Old 8th May 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Really? D'oh! Why can't my choice be easy!!!
Most problems with Electron workflow comes from not knowing the workflow.

Read the manual and watch some videos outlining the feature set, such as this:



The first 6 months of Elektron ownership was a confusing time.
I now have almost everything they make and very happy with the gear.
Old 8th May 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Most problems with Electron workflow comes from not knowing the workflow.

Read the manual and watch some videos outlining the feature set, such as this:



The first 6 months of Elektron ownership was a confusing time.
I now have almost everything they make and very happy with the gear.
Thanks. I'll check out the video. 6 months? I'm 50 years old, so that would be about 1/54th of my life expectancy spent just to learn that puppy?
Old 8th May 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
"Drun" Machine typo was corrected within a minute of my first post but GS seems to take forever when editing thread titles to show the change.
Old 8th May 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Thanks. I'll check out the video. 6 months? I'm 50 years old, so that would be about 1/54th of my life expectancy spent just to learn that puppy?
That was to fully understand the device and all its capabilities plus being able to work intuitively with it in a live performance situation and trust I wasn't going to screw up.

You can get broadly conversant with it in a few days.
Old 8th May 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
That was to fully understand the device and all its capabilities plus being able to work intuitively with it in a live performance situation and trust I wasn't going to screw up.

You can get broadly conversant with it in a few days.
Oh thank God! I have to be careful in how I spend the precious 324 months I have left.
Old 8th May 2019
  #30
I don't think you can beat a software drum machine and sequencer and good daw with hardware.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump