The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog drun machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at?
Old 23rd May 2019
  #121
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’ve got the MK1, so no multi color pads.
It's the LEDs. For us with color weakness/blindness telling the difference between a typical Red/Yellow/Orange or Red/Orange/Green is difficult, especially if they are bright. I know on the Notron sequencer in standard studio lighting I can't tell whether an LED is Orange or Red, so I have to cycle through the state to off or green to know. I had to swap the LEDs out when I owned the Sequentix P3 because the standard was impossible for me to distinguish. I used a Purple/Yellow/White LED which worked a lot better (anyone that owns those two P3s, now you know where they came from).

I'm surprised frankly that manufacturers don't pay more attention to this since the majority of the manufacturers are male and their target market is mainly males and males tend to have more color distinguishing issues.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #122
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Right, but it’s wrong to assume that everyone wants an S-3 or DR-5, or really any other hardware drum machine. I spent years with drum machines/groove boxes and workstation keyboards and they all served me well, but the moment that I started really digging into a modern DAW and using it like a performance instrument (First Live, now Bitwig) is the day I got rid of all those instruments and I honestly never looked back. For me, the best solution is a good DAW and Maschine.
I know you know your stuff and I'd think from brief conversations there'd probably be that on some level towards me.

For me, it's purely the wider range of tones etc that, the machines in context, can make. Like you I use Maschine, and now with Jam you can step lock any combination of 32 steps alone and also that crazy crazy parameter lock mode, you'd be mental to not want to use that, try combing that lock morph mode with Softube modular...



Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I quite liked Tremor. But the CPU use made it too hard to use.
Is it that high? I only use it as single track in Maschine. I redownloaded it yesterday and tbh, its a lot better than I remember. Though I guess my sound design ability has moved on and so has my monitoring set up. Using the membrane bit to make kicks is pretty good, some really odd tones. Tempting to try and recreate something like that in Reaktor and see how it comes out.

Have they (ni) released copy protection to 3rd parties as well as player format? Anyone know?
Old 23rd May 2019
  #123
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
I know you know your stuff and I'd think from brief conversations there'd probably be that on some level towards me.

For me, it's purely the wider range of tones etc that, the machines in context, can make. Like you I use Maschine, and now with Jam you can step lock any combination of 32 steps alone and also that crazy crazy parameter lock mode, you'd be mental to not want to use that, try combing that lock morph mode with Softube modular...
Right, that’s exactly my stance. Wider range of tones, to me, means anything and everything, but I don’t have the space for everything and anything, so I make some concessions. I don’t have a dedicated hardware drum synth, but I make drum sounds using all my hardware synths.

Quote:
Is it that high? I only use it as single track in Maschine. I redownloaded it yesterday and tbh, its a lot better than I remember. Though I guess my sound design ability has moved on and so has my monitoring set up. Using the membrane bit to make kicks is pretty good, some really odd tones. Tempting to try and recreate something like that in Reaktor and see how it comes out.
I remember it being higher, but not crazy high... I should probably revisit it too. I remember it having a kind of “hard” tone that I really liked for some things.

Quote:
Have they (ni) released copy protection to 3rd parties as well as player format? Anyone know?
I’m not sure what you mean by that.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #124
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
It's the LEDs. For us with color weakness/blindness telling the difference between a typical Red/Yellow/Orange or Red/Orange/Green is difficult, especially if they are bright. I know on the Notron sequencer in standard studio lighting I can't tell whether an LED is Orange or Red, so I have to cycle through the state to off or green to know. I had to swap the LEDs out when I owned the Sequentix P3 because the standard was impossible for me to distinguish. I used a Purple/Yellow/White LED which worked a lot better (anyone that owns those two P3s, now you know where they came from).

I'm surprised frankly that manufacturers don't pay more attention to this since the majority of the manufacturers are male and their target market is mainly males and males tend to have more color distinguishing issues.
At least there could be a mode with brightness steps to help distinguish between colours.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #125
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
i had the same problem with the LEDs on the Octratrack and original APC40.

the pad colors on Maschine (and APC40mkII) are all pretty distinct in comparison, no problems like that.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #126
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Is it that high? I only use it as single track in Maschine. I redownloaded it yesterday and tbh, its a lot better than I remember. Though I guess my sound design ability has moved on and so has my monitoring set up. Using the membrane bit to make kicks is pretty good, some really odd tones. Tempting to try and recreate something like that in Reaktor and see how it comes out.
Tremor is only using 1 core... and with all engines active and depending on settings it could max 1 core and get crackles. Some of the factory presets were too heavy for me to use. I had to use 2 instances... which is then a more clumsy workflow.

My CPU is not the fastest but its decent (and my computer is quiet). I have no interest in the CPU race and constantly feeling like I want/need a faster CPU. The software that I like the sounds from most are all high CPU users... and I find it frustrating to always be dancing around the cpu limit.

I decided I would rather buy some hardware to have more voices.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #127
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post

I decided I would rather buy some hardware to have more voices.
This is the issue an i9-9990k has a single core rating of 2901
a i5-3210m has a single core rating of 1520

So, yeah, not such a great leap anyway, considering the CPU alone is £500.
Old 25th May 2019
  #128
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I'd be curious to hear your A/B comparison between the two, with the same exact samples transferred from a computer into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown View Post
That’s a good idea!

I’ll transfer Bombham to the SP16 and check it out.
I wound up buying an SP16 too, so I made my own comparison with the exact same drum samples plus a loop on top:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sfx3x1lli...L2leXEiva?dl=0
Old 25th May 2019
  #129
Deleted 063dc0d
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I wound up buying an SP16 too, so I made my own comparison with the exact same drum samples plus a loop on top:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sfx3x1lli...L2leXEiva?dl=0
Im so sorry I dropped the ball on this test. I will do it over the weekend.

I think the SP16 and RYTM sound exactly like they’re supposed to.

The RYTM is darker and girthier.

The SP16 is more open and clear.

They are both great machines.

The SP16 soundset is far superior to anything I’ve heard that is available for RYTM.

That is why I bought one.

I keep the RYTM for synth bass, layering, sample playback, the incredible sequencer and performance functions.
Old 25th May 2019
  #130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 063dc0d View Post
Im so sorry I dropped the ball on this test. I will do it over the weekend.
No problem, I wasn’t waiting around or anything like that, I just happened to remember this thread after I picked up the Toraiz. Wasn’t planning on buying one, but several places are selling them cheap recently and I couldn’t resist.
Old 25th May 2019
  #131
Gear Head
 
Big Ben's Avatar
The moog dfam sounds great or if going the modular route the dreadbox drips is interesting also
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump