The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog drun machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, was I upsetting you by telling you a MPC is not a drum synth.

Never seen so many people wet themselves over being told an MPC isn't a drum machine, grow up
huh? of course not. i never said anything about an MPC. ...but Maschine isn't just a sampler, either. it's whatever you want it to be. you know that.

we don't need to get into the discussion of it not having "real" parameter locks, that's complete irrelevant. i think you'd be hard pressed to find too many supporters saying that the drum synthesis in the Rytm is any better than what is available ITB these days, nevermind all your other claims.

anyway, i'm actually a nice person for the most part.
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post

anyway, i'm actually a nice person for the most part.
You always seemed to be.

Anyway, my original and only argument was,

Hardware drum machines (e.g., sound generators of the percussive variety) vs their software (sound generators of the percussive variety) are always better and the software don't have the sound, tactility etc

Then people charge in like "LOL BUT YEAH I CAN DO A SAMPLER ON MAH PC SAMPLAZ IS A DRUM MUSCHINE, OMG DUN BE PETTY FOR SAYING IS NOT U HURT MEH HAID" "A TEMPET CAN SAMLE TOOOOO"yes, yes it can, but it can generate sound...

In general.

This is just entirely a waste of energy everyone knows full well there is no drum machine, that purely generates percussive sound( the defention of a drum Machine), that come close to a tempest in software, tremor and stix(which I beta tested and was going to submit presets for, but never mind eh) are the best we have. I'm not wasting energy on this, pretend you won and get an internet point if you like.

If there is, post me a link, I would love to have it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
2 hardware drum machines, sorted. Software's all well and good but it's never going to get you close to e.g. actually running a Korg S-3 and a Roland DR-5 together, should you choose to be so unwise.
oh, like running a couple of software drum synths (Reaktor, Microtonic, whatever) together, or what? not really seeing anything "unique" about a couple drum machines (that don't even have any realtime control features, so let's not get into that) sync'd together.

why do you guys pose these weak arguments?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I think I would like to purchase a dedicated analog drum machine
Well sir, look no further for you are in luck! I’m selling my Analog Rytm MKII! Tada!

It’s collection only from the Aylesbury area of the UK but you’re welcome to stay with us to save on hotel costs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... everyone knows full well there is no drum machine, that purely generates percussive sound (the defention of a drum Machine), that come close to a tempest in software
why are you confusing "drum machine" with "drum synth"?

Quote:
tremor and stix(which I beta tested and was going to submit presets for, but never mind eh) are the best we have. ... If there is, post me a link, I would love to have it.
i'm not sure how many years back it was, or what "proved it" (Autechre, Basic Channel/Chain Reaction, Nord Modular?), but at some point i realized that there is no reason to go looking for any sort of all-in-one drum synth/machine in software (or hardware for that matter).

anything can be a drum source, a DX-7 clone can be my drum machine. you can mix and match instruments from Tremor, Stix, Reaktor Blocks, whatever you want. each channel in Ableton or Maschine can be whatever i'd like it to be, i don't need to think in terms of "Stix is my drum synth/machine", or be disappointed in its shortcomings.

also, not every percussion element needs to be generated in real-time. get something going, set it up to be tweaked with knobs in Maschine or whatever, go nuts and record it. doesn't matter what the source was, it's just another part of the track.

so much out-dated thinking for a bunch of electronic musicians, "drum machines" are a dead end. yeah, must have been with the Nord G2. i remember thinking "why would i ever want to be stuck thinking in terms of one or four bar patterns?"
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh, like running a couple of software drum synths (Reaktor, Microtonic, whatever) together, or what? not really seeing anything "unique" about a couple drum machines (that don't even have any realtime control features, so let's not get into that) sync'd together.

why do you guys pose these weak arguments?
Look, I come here to help and learn, not to argue. No idea on those maschines he linked. But tell me what Reaktor drum ensembles are better than a tempest and I'll download them now.

If someone made a 1/1 sounding version in Reaktor I'd pay £300 now.

I can't help feeling this has just turned into a hardware vs software thread, but still no one seems to be able to link something better than the tempest in software...

I think you know I use maschine+jam, and I love it, but thats £700 oh hardware/software + £200~ for Reaktor + £700 for Mac mini + £300 for tv +£150 for keyboard and mouse and still the best drum synth we can load is probably niji drums.

I actually did a course by Micheal Hetrik from Unfiltered Audio on how to rebuild components from electrical diagrams in Reaktor and rebuilt some of the 808 modules, most of them are actually very simple, but as I think we all know, theres a bit more to it than that.

You've have to be crazy to argue that a pure hardware set up was objectively better than a hybrid set up. Of course we can build or sample anything, but it has to be done for use to use it otherwise its just theoretical.

Someone DM me when Wave Alchemy realease a "Silent Drums" pack I know theres some absynth hats and bits in some of them, or maybe that was goldbaby, unsure.
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this a serious point? A drum machine is a bit of hardware that creates percussive sounds via synthesis, when you get down to this level it just shows you have no argument really

Quote:

i'm not sure how many years back it was, or what "proved it" (Autechre, Basic Channel/Chain Reaction, Nord Modular?), but at some point i realized that there is no reason to go looking for any sort of all-in-one drum synth/machine in software (or hardware for that matter).

anything can be a drum source, a DX-7 clone can be my drum machine. you can mix and match instruments from Tremor, Stix, Reaktor Blocks, whatever you want. each channel in Ableton or Maschine can be whatever i'd like it to be, i don't need to think in terms of "Stix is my drum synth/machine", or be disappointed in its shortcomings.

also, not every percussion element needs to be generated in real-time. get something going, set it up to be tweaked with knobs in Maschine or whatever, go nuts and record it. doesn't matter what the source was, it's just another part of the track.

so much out-dated thinking for a bunch of electronic musicians, "drum machines" are a dead end. yeah, must have been with the Nord G2. i remember thinking "why would i ever want to be stuck thinking in terms of one or four bar patterns?"
Yes, lovely. But show me a soft drum synth.machine that sounds as good as a tempest because you're arguing against points I haven't made, again.

You can use an iPhone to record pots and pans, but that has nothing to do with the fact that in terms of drum machines the hardware ones offer more, you can resample and alter the hardware samples so talking of that as an advantage is just pointless.

Bizarre straw man arguments over and over and over.

Show....me.....a drum machine in software, that sounds better than a tempest, sampler manipulation can be done to either or is it just doesn't come into it.....bizzare that anyway would think anything other.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not sure why there should be a fight between sf and hw (besides it's GS ). They can also compliment each other nicely.

Following a friend's config. example + advices, I can now control my Simmons SDS 800 + Jomox m.brane + R8 and, last week, even ... a very old Akai sampler with my Xils-Lab StiX sw 'analog modelled' drum machine Sequencer ( it has p.lock parameters similar to Elektron devices and an XoX sequencer that TRxxx could only have dreamed of in the ancient times).

If the hw drum machine has a sequencer, I can also prefer to -midi only atm- sync it to my daw-. In other words : I have all options wide open.

Itb is nice, otb is nice, hybrid is also nice. It's only really about one's personnal likes/dislikes.

To OP : for analog hw drum machines, you might want to check the Vermona Drm MK II/III, or MFB units (including the old ones). More affordable than a Tempest, also more limited in term of sound shaping possibilities, have their own character, and a 'nice' sound (well, depending on your taste)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this a serious point? A drum machine is a bit of hardware that creates percussive sounds via synthesis, when you get down to this level it just shows you have no argument really
you've got to be joking. how many drum machines are simply sample playback with a sequencer attached? an MPC is no different than most drum machines (now i see how that argument got going). in fact, most (70%?) drum machines over the past 40 years don't really offer much in the way of drum "synthesis" at all.

can i get your dealer's number? that stuff must be awesome.
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotuZia View Post

Itb is nice, otb is nice, hybrid is also nice. It's only really about one's personal likes/dislikes.
Hybrid is the best, how can it not be? You guys appear like wizards when your products are mentioned. I just wish more people would make stuff like Stix and Tremor because they're such a big step in the right direction. I also wish they would release them as single strips with sequencers so they could be use in machine in a better way.....

All I said, when it comes to drum machines (generators) you're going to find better stuff in hardware, but then everyone told me about soft samplers as if hardware wouldn't be sampled anyway.

I think I've made my point now lads. Kinda pointless and a waste of energy and time now. I wish you all the best with microtonic vs a dsi tempest or analog rythm
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
you've got to be joking. how many drum machines are simply sample playback with a sequencer attached? an MPC is no different than most drum machines (now i see how that argument got going). in fact, most (70%?) drum machines over the past 40 years don't really offer much in the way of drum "synthesis" at all.

can i get your dealer's number? that stuff must be awesome.
Again, you are trying to impose your own context on me. I'm talking about tempests, rytms etc etc. Why would we be talking about 40 year old sampled vintage drum machines on a thread where the context was a tempest?

READ the title, Analog Drum machines, context....

All you're doing is changing the goalposts, strawmanning and hurling the odd insult, you should open a twitter account, you would love it there.....

I'm happy for you that you feel you have the time to waste on this. I'll leave you to it now, because I don't. You can tell all your friends you won an argument on the internet if you like, I'll even send you a certificate.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
2 hardware drum machines, sorted. Software's all well and good but it's never going to get you close to e.g. actually running a Korg S-3 and a Roland DR-5 together, should you choose to be so unwise.
Right, but it’s wrong to assume that everyone wants an S-3 or DR-5, or really any other hardware drum machine. I spent years with drum machines/groove boxes and workstation keyboards and they all served me well, but the moment that I started really digging into a modern DAW and using it like a performance instrument (First Live, now Bitwig) is the day I got rid of all those instruments and I honestly never looked back. For me, the best solution is a good DAW and Maschine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is just entirely a waste of energy everyone knows full well there is no drum machine, that purely generates percussive sound( the defention of a drum Machine), that come close to a tempest in software, tremor
I quite liked Tremor. But the CPU use made it too hard to use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Nord Drum 3 is a great sounding machine and has some deep sound design options if you don't mind that it is missing a sequencer. Paired with a Beststep Pro would sort that though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, you are trying to impose your own context on me. I'm talking about tempests, rytms etc etc. Why would we be talking about 40 year old sampled vintage drum machines on a thread where the context was a tempest?

READ the title, Analog Drum machines, context...
sorry, i'm just talking points that you guys were already arguing about. you're right though, somehow this devolved into talking about drum machines in general instead of just "analog drum machines".

Quote:
... show me a soft drum synth.machine that sounds as good as a tempest because you're arguing against points I haven't made, again.
as good as this?

uhh... pretty much any softsynth? wtf? give me a few instances of Repro-1, or whatever. there's nothing special going on with the Tempest, and you're not going to get any TR level synthesis/sounds out of it either way.

Quote:
... and still the best drum synth we can load is probably niji drums.
this says quite a lot right here. Niji Drums? really?

what a waste of time. you could at least try.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Well sir, look no further for you are in luck! I’m selling my Analog Rytm MKII! Tada!

It’s collection only from the Aylesbury area of the UK but you’re welcome to stay with us to save on hotel costs.
How I would absolutely love to visit Merrie Olde England one day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But tell me what Reaktor drum ensembles are better than a tempest and I'll download them now.

If someone made a 1/1 sounding version in Reaktor I'd pay £300 now.
I'd never pay for it. Reaktor uses too much cpu (for the good sounding stuff). Hell, 1 single voice of Reaktor Blocks can max a single core.

I have no problem using software. I intend to keep using it and am not against it, but I also see its limitations. I started buying some hardware because it offers 'free' voices. I can turn on the Rytm and use it to its maximum capability and I don't have to give a thought to cpu use, it never glitches, sounds amazing, feels latency free and is an enjoyable and immediate tactile experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
... I have no problem using software. I intend to keep using it and am not against it, but I also see its limitations. I started buying some hardware because it offers 'free' voices. I can turn on the Rytm and use it to its maximum capability and I don't have to give a thought to cpu use, it never glitches, sounds amazing, feels latency free and is an enjoyable and immediate tactile experience.
i'd say the same about the TR-8S, which is generally a joy to use. however, i can plainly admit to its limitations and the fact that it's really not giving me much of any advantage to using software and a good controller setup. i'm not going to sit here and make it sound like it'll change someone's life in ways that software can't. i'd rather look at what it does well and see how one might replicate that workflow ITB, while taking advantage of everything else that it offers. i'd certainly rather use Maschine than the TR-8S (or any hardware drum machine) if i had to choose.

as far as insane CPU usage, glitches, latency... these are not something i'm experiencing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
who said anything about a mouse?

think.

it's awesome, but let's be real here. 2019 and we're still talking about fairy dust and electrons. ffs.
Oh so you’re saying a computer with controllers.

Well that’s a different thing entirely.

A LAPTOP doesn’t stand a chance then. You need all sorts of hardware? So you like hardware then? So it’s not the computer, but the hardware controllers you can attach to the computer??

What about a RYTM with a computer then?

The thing is Mr. Thinker, is that a RYTM is a complete solution for production and performance. It’s an instrument. A computer is not. This is what makes the RYTM so great and the laptop sitting in front of me less great.

Maybe some software can do things, yes. But I have to buy a crapload of hardware to get at it in a meaningful way? It’s becoming more and more like a cobbled together RYTM.

And that’s the point. The RYTM can be “played” as-is. It’s an instrument, like a guitar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown View Post
The thing is Mr. Thinker, is that a RYTM is a complete solution for production and performance. It’s an instrument. A computer is not. This is what makes the RYTM so great and the laptop sitting in front of me less great.

Maybe some software can do things, yes. But I have to buy a crapload of hardware to get at it in a meaningful way? It’s becoming more and more like a cobbled together RYTM.

And that’s the point. The RYTM can be “played” as-is. It’s an instrument, like a guitar.
Also, there is no midi controller that can make software like Geist as immediate and hands on as the Rytm...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
The Nord Drum 3 is a great sounding machine and has some deep sound design options if you don't mind that it is missing a sequencer. Paired with a Beststep Pro would sort that though.
There was a time when I convinced myself that I needed a hardware drum solution, and at the time, the Nord Drum 2 ended up being part of it. Sounded great... not much fun to program. Maybe the 3 is better? My rig was the ND2 and JoMoX M_brane 1.1 and it really sounded amazing, but it ended up feeling too clumsy to use.

I think if I had to go hardware drum machine today, I would probably go with the new JoMoX and supplement it with a Tempest. I guess I just don’t care that much. I’m definitely not the kind of guy who plays a drum machine or groove box, or what ever, like an “instrument.” I set up a kit (set of sounds) and then I just use step sequencing to get a “metronome” set up and then switch to live event recording to live improvise a composition. I don’t modulate settings in real time, because I’m trying to fill audio buffers full of live performances of guitar and synths. I’m sure I’d have the same thing to say about someone who said, “just use guitar samples or a virtual physical modeling guitar plugin.” That’s why I say, if you want to use a drum machine, or groove box, or software versions of anything, just do it. No need to cut anyone down for the decisions they make.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

If the hw drum machine has a sequencer, )
All drum machines have a sequencer. Otherwise it’s a drum module or drum synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would like to thank Quantum7 for starting this thread. The early replies to his original question led me to more research into some suggestions which ended up in a DRM1 mk III being delivered here. Definitely reminds me somewhat of being back in the day owning the Simmons SDS V and 7 and the TAMA Techstar modules.

Driving the DRM1 with a step sequencer and tweaking the controls has resulted in a lot of cool/interesting/fun sounding drum patterns that would have been difficult to achieve any other way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m trying to fill audio buffers full of live performances of guitar and synths. I’m sure I’d have the same thing to say about someone who said, “just use guitar samples or a virtual physical modeling guitar plugin.”
Exactly... there is nothing controversial about saying a guitar offers something software doesn't... same with the Rytm. And saying that is not a claim that there is one way to do things or that one way is objectively superior or that someone is wrong for doing it differently.

It's ridiculous one has to put a set of disclaimers in every post to dissuade the posters who police peoples words and relentlessly look for flaws in how people express themselves so they can attack them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I’m totally in agreement of all of that. Not to cut down Tremor or StiX (I own Tremor, not StiX) but they are not the “best we have” at the moment. They’re just some tools that you either like or do not like. I’ve been using µTonic now for years and years... I love it. Does it sound like a vintage x0x box? In some ways, yeah, in other ways, not at all. Hell, someone built a hardware drum synth with it’s engine! Is that better? Now, if all I cared about was the exact sound of an 808, I’d be screwed, but I don’t care about that. Don’t get me wrong, I love that too, but a sample will do just fine, and I can get one that’s been meticulously recorded threw expensive outboard onto a vintage tape deck that’s being subtly over driven. I can’t do that with just a “drum machine,” even if it is an OG 808. If I do want a more authentic 808 sound, I’ll use the Roland Cloud plugin, as it sounds exactly the same to me. I’m sure there are differences, but none that effect my enjoyment of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There was a time when I convinced myself that I needed a hardware drum solution, and at the time, the Nord Drum 2 ended up being part of it. Sounded great... not much fun to program. Maybe the 3 is better? ....
Synthesis engine is strictly identical. With ND3, you have some additional effects (not my type of reverb etc but they are here), and the drumpads become obligatory. The price therefore increased. Maybe not the wisest road to take for Clavia, but ND2 is discontinued so ... :shrug:
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Synthesis engine is strictly identical. With ND3, you have some additional effects (not my type of reverb etc but they are here), and the drumpads become obligatory. The price therefore increased. Maybe not the wisest road to take for Clavia, but ND2 is discontinued so ... :shrug:
I spent a long time a/b testing the ND2 along various software solutions and I found no real compelling reason to keep it, but if I were gigging live it might make sense, especially if I were a drummer who wanted to extend an acoustic kit with some electronic sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Also, there is no midi controller that can make software like Geist as immediate and hands on as the Rytm...
I’m totally into software instruments. Even a soft synth needs an external controller for it to be REALLY useful to a musician. Sure, a person could step record everything with a mouse. I have a friend that does that. He has zero sense of rhythm and timing.

And then, everything needs to be mapped etc

The RYTM is very immediate. It allows for an instant pathway from creative thought/impulse to the articulation.

I’m not saying it’s the end all, be all, but it is a great instrument. I have two SP16s, as well. So, I’m not some Elektron crazy person.

A computer with a bunch of controllers could get you to a RYTM and beyond. This is true. But so what? The RYTM is simply a classic drum machine, synth and sample playback workstation. I love it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, but it’s wrong to assume that everyone wants an S-3 or DR-5, or really any other hardware drum machine. I spent years with drum machines/groove boxes and workstation keyboards and they all served me well, but the moment that I started really digging into a modern DAW and using it like a performance instrument (First Live, now Bitwig) is the day I got rid of all those instruments and I honestly never looked back. For me, the best solution is a good DAW and Maschine.
Not for me lol, I'm moderately colourblind and loads of multicoloured pads give me the conniptions! I might not have hated the Octatrack so much had I been able to tell the difference in status of its lights.

Since we've established the line between analog drum machines and analog synths is a fine one the Korg Monologue has to be up there as a kind of 909 on acid. There are some Aphex Twin presets that show what it can do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not for me lol, I'm moderately colourblind and loads of multicoloured pads give me the conniptions! I might not have hated the Octatrack so much had I been able to tell the difference in status of its lights.

Since we've established the line between analog drum machines and analog synths is a fine one the Korg Monologue has to be up there as a kind of 909 on acid. There are some Aphex Twin presets that show what it can do.
I’ve got the MK1, so no multi color pads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search