The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog drun machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at?
Old 8th May 2019
But having said that I do love my drum kat.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Good video:
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfog09 View Post
I don't think you can beat a software drum machine and sequencer and good daw with hardware.
Except that I refuse to get creative synth-wise with a mouse. I want hardware for anything synth. I've never been more creative sound-wise since I went back to hardware synths years ago. My DAW mainly handles my sampled instruments...although I'll use Omnisphere and Diva (presets) when in a hurry for commercial projects.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Warning: sound design on an Elektron machine can be tedious. YMMV.
The Rytm is easier than some other Elektron machines. I find the Rytm a pleasure to design sounds on.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
Elektron Rytm mkII. 8 analog drum voices. Sampler (which uses analog filter/signal chain). Individual Outs. Analog Distortion & Compressor.
That analog distortion and compressor are magic. Especially when you start p-locking them... No software ever sounds like that!
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
The Rytm is easier than some other Elektron machines. I find the Rytm a pleasure to design sounds on.
That is good to hear since I'm now leaning towards the Elektron. $400 less than the Tempest and sample import sounds nice to me.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfog09 View Post
I don't think you can beat a software drum machine and sequencer and good daw with hardware.
Maybe for composition... but there is no software that sounds like the Rytm.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
That is good to hear since I'm now leaning towards the Elektron. $400 less than the Tempest and sample import sounds nice to me.
One thing, in case it matters to you. There is no midi export of patterns in the Rytm. I've never cared about that, though some people do. If you can afford it, get the MKII

Also, the video comparison above, there have been some firmware updates with new functionality for the Rytm since it was made.

Besides drums, the Rytm can do some nice basses and leads. I could make whole compositions with 2 Rtyms.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
One thing, in case it matters to you. There is no midi export of patterns in the Rytm. I've never cared about that, though some people do. If you can afford it, get the MKII

Also, the video comparison above, there have been some firmware updates with new functionality for the Rytm since it was made.

Besides drums, the Rytm can do some nice basses and leads. I could make whole compositions with 2 Rtyms.
That is good to hear. Exporting patterns is also not important to me since I would rather compose patterns on my DAW with the rest of my compositions.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is good to hear. Exporting patterns is also not important to me since I would rather compose patterns on my DAW with the rest of my compositions.
Both are great machines on their own. In my opinion the Rytm tends to have a kind of "hard, banging and driven" sound (which is great for techno / busy mixes), while the Tempest tends to sound more "soft" (and whatever you do, never turn on the distortion on the Tempest. I don't know what they were thinking but it sounds absolutely horrible :-) !).

From what I heard from you (your music), I think the Tempest would be a better fit.

Since you said that you prefer to compose your drum patterns in your DAW, the "highlight" of the Rytm -its sequencer- won't be of much use to you.

Besides, what I really like about the Tempest is that you get to play with 32 sounds per bank, and it's very easy to copy/paste sounds to create variations (I absolutely love this feature !).

On the Rytm, you have to use the p-locks for this and this can get very tedious / confusing. While the Rytm has "sound locks", they are so cumbersome to use that in practice you probably won't use them at all (cumbersome because you have to save each sound separately (lots of menu diving), then load them back into the "sound pool" (more menu diving) before you can select / p-lock them in a pattern).

The build quality of the Tempest also is so much better than the Rytm's (which makes it a joy to use, especially the pads!) (can only really speak for a Rytm Mk1 but I have also used a friend's Mk2 and it felt similar).

The achilles heel of the Tempest is its MIDI implementation. The one in the Rytm is outstanding in comparison. The Rytm also has "performance controllers" which are basically macro controllers that can also be controlled via MIDI.

Instead of using different MIDI channels for each drum voice (like on the Rytm), the Tempest uses a single MIDI channel for all voices (i.e. sounds cannot no be played chromatically, like on the Rytm, and you can't modulate each and every voice parameter via MIDI).
Beside the usual note on/off commands, you have to make do with a handful of CCs for _all_ 32 sounds.

However, it sounds worse than it is in practice because most of the time, note triggers (and sound variations) are all you need for percussion (that's at least my experience).

In case you decide for a Tempest, make sure to grab these (free) TR-606/DR-110 patches.

In the end it's all about the sound and since these two machines sound very different (which is why I have both), you just have to pick the one that sounds better to you / better fits your workflow. Easy, right ?
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp804 View Post
Both are great machines on their own. In my opinion the Rytm tends to have a kind of "hard, banging and driven" sound (which is great for techno / busy mixes), while the Tempest tends to sound more "soft" (and whatever you do, never turn on the distortion on the Tempest. I don't know what they were thinking but it sounds absolutely horrible :-) !).

From what I heard from you (your music), I think the Tempest would be a better fit.

Since you said that you prefer to compose your drum patterns in your DAW, the "highlight" of the Rytm -its sequencer- won't be of much use to you.

Besides, what I really like about the Tempest is that you get to play with 32 sounds per bank, and it's very easy to copy/paste sounds to create variations (I absolutely love this feature !).

On the Rytm, you have to use the p-locks for this and this can get very tedious / confusing. While the Rytm has "sound locks", they are so cumbersome to use that in practice you probably won't use them at all (cumbersome because you have to save each sound separately (lots of menu diving), then load them back into the "sound pool" (more menu diving) before you can select / p-lock them in a pattern).

The build quality of the Tempest also is so much better than the Rytm's (which makes it a joy to use, especially the pads!) (can only really speak for a Rytm Mk1 but I have also used a friend's Mk2 and it felt similar).

The achilles heel of the Tempest is its MIDI implementation. The one in the Rytm is outstanding in comparison. The Rytm also has "performance controllers" which are basically macro controllers that can also be controlled via MIDI.

Instead of using different MIDI channels for each drum voice (like on the Rytm), the Tempest uses a single MIDI channel for all voices (i.e. sounds cannot no be played chromatically, like on the Rytm, and you can't modulate each and every voice parameter via MIDI).
Beside the usual note on/off commands, you have to make do with a handful of CCs for _all_ 32 sounds.

However, it sounds worse than it is in practice because most of the time, note triggers (and sound variations) are all you need for percussion (that's at least my experience).

In case you decide for a Tempest, make sure to grab these (free) TR-606/DR-110 patches.

In the end it's all about the sound and since these two machines sound very different (which is why I have both), you just have to pick the one that sounds better to you / better fits your workflow. Easy, right ?
Thank you very much for taking the time to give me that information. Such a tough choice! Yeah, I think I agree with what you said that my style of music, at least the stuff that I’ve shown here at GS, may be better suited with the Tempest since I am going for more synthy-type sounds as opposed to standard Roland drum machine stuff. Decisions decisions ....
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown View Post
Pioneer SP-16 sounds amazing.

Load your own samples and they will sound amazing, too.

I have a RYTM. I like it. But it doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as the SP-16.
I'd be curious to hear your A/B comparison between the two, with the same exact samples transferred from a computer into them.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Most problems with Electron workflow comes from not knowing the workflow.

Read the manual and watch some videos outlining the feature set, such as this:

The first 6 months of Elektron ownership was a confusing time.
I now have almost everything they make and very happy with the gear.
It’s not about learning it, it’s about the unusually large quantity of button pressing one has to do to do simple things. However, Overbridge is good.
Old 8th May 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I'd be curious to hear your A/B comparison between the two, with the same exact samples transferred from a computer into them.
That’s a good idea!

I’ll transfer Bombham to the SP16 and check it out.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Just upgraded from the Vermona DRMmkiii to the Analong Rytm MKii. I love it for strange non-standard drum sounds with an classic analog punch, but I tend to have most sounds I use to be composite sounds of analog sounds layered with samples I've loaded. I really dig modulating the sample start/end times with velocity or the LFO for some freaky quasi-wavetable weirdness.

I didn't think it was hard to learn or use, and I've never had an Elektron machine before, yet I read the manual. If a person can't make unique sounds with it or struggle with it's use that's on the user. I get the sequencer but don't use it, I treat it purely as a drum synth.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

What the heck, I just bought an "open box" Tempest for $1100. The price was too good to pass up. I have a feeling it will most likely be what I am looking for, but if it doesn't, then I feel confident I should be able to re-sell it for what I paid for it. Thank you ALL for taking the time to give me your opinions and suggestions.
Old 9th May 2019
Nice! I was just coming on here to share a track I released last year that is 100% tempest (+FX +Vocals). Obviously this machine does much more than drums...

Hope it treats you well.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Pads on the Tempest are maybe the best to play ever. Nice interface too pretty cool sounds. It does have “a sound” though. I found i was mostly using the onboard samples most the time, ended up trying out an SP16 and sampled and sold the Tempest.

I guess i just prefer sampled drums/more acoustic based sounds. But the Tempest is also a great groovebox. You can write whole tracks on it using the voice allocation wisely.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
What the heck, I just bought an "open box" Tempest for $1100. The price was too good to pass up. I have a feeling it will most likely be what I am looking for, but if it doesn't, then I feel confident I should be able to re-sell it for what I paid for it. Thank you ALL for taking the time to give me your opinions and suggestions.
I’m jealous. I mean, I know I made the right move to go to the 12 for what I’m doing, but that thing had a sound to it... like some future relic. Hard to describe.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm really hoping that it gives me that sound that is unmistakably "synth percussion". With my The River, 002, OB6, and Deckard's Dream I can just about make any percussive sound I usually need, but what I want is the convenience of doing that all on one piece of equipment with pads.....so I'm hoping that the Tempest delivers.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm really hoping that it gives me that sound that is unmistakably "synth percussion". With my The River, 002, OB6, and Deckard's Dream I can just about make any percussive sound I usually need, but what I want is the convenience of doing that all on one piece of equipment with pads.....so I'm hoping that the Tempest delivers.
I think you’ll be happy. It does your standard fare well enough, but even a simple TR-8 will get you a better classic Roland sound than it can do. However, for off the wall creative stuff, it’s the shiz.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you’ll be happy. It does your standard fare well enough, but even a simple TR-8 will get you a better classic Roland sound than it can do. However, for off the wall creative stuff, it’s the shiz.
I can't wait!
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will take just about any PITA issue except for a "so, so sound". From the few videos I saw on the Drumbrute (both models), it sounded just "meh" to me, but maybe I didn't hear enough. The Tempest sounds great and the Verona sounds great. I think I'll look at my projections of the next 25 tracks that I know for sure I'll be working on, and if I'll be using percussion on at least 8 or 10 tracks, then I might as well go for the Tempest. Anything less than that perhaps the Verona will be fine enough to get the job done.....it certainly sounds great to my ears from the demos I've heard.

Yeah, this is the one that impressed me.
You might want to check out Tanzbär 2 then
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

I received my Tempest today and really like it so far. It sounds pretty darn good to my ears, and it is by far the nicest drum machine I personally have owned.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I received my Tempest today and really like it so far. It sounds pretty darn good to my ears, and it is by far the nicest drum machine I personally have owned.
Here’s a pro tip: get to know the filter bypass control. I wish every damn synth had one of those. Letting some or all of an oscillator or two bleed past the filter is a powerful thing. I let the Tempest go because I’m obsessed with poly pressure (the one DSI that doesn’t respond to it!) but I miss that feature in its replacement. (The Prophet 12)
Old 15th May 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
Killer setup man!
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here’s a pro tip: get to know the filter bypass control. I wish every damn synth had one of those. Letting some or all of an oscillator or two bleed past the filter is a powerful thing. I let the Tempest go because I’m obsessed with poly pressure (the one DSI that doesn’t respond to it!) but I miss that feature in its replacement. (The Prophet 12)
Will do! I'll be working on a piece this week with the Tempest and will hopefully be doing a lot of tweaking and learning in the process.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Will do! I'll be working on a piece this week with the Tempest and will hopefully be doing a lot of tweaking and learning in the process.
You’ll pick it up pretty easily since you owned a Prophet 12. A REV2, as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just looked this thread up to see if you had already received your Tempest. Congrats !

One thing I did on mine was to add labels below the pads (they read "bd", "sd", "cp", "bt", "mt", "ht", "ch", "oh"), and also organize the kits accordingly.
The upper pads play the main sounds, and the lower pads play variations of them. The second bank is used for either more variations, additional sounds (like cymbals, shakers, claves, cowbells..), and / or "sound fx".

Another fun thing to do with the Tempest is to use it as a synth and assign individual (but somehow similar) sounds to each sequence step.

Anyway, glad to hear you like it !
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 063dc0d View Post
Killer setup man!
Naja

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search