The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Division Department - 01/IV Drum Synthesizer
Old 5th May 2019
The Division Department - 01/IV Drum Synthesizer

Just came across this one at matrixsynth. New 4 voice rum synth inspired by some classic machines seems to be in the making and presented at Superbooth next week.

https://publicinsta.com/hashtag/01IV

https://www.superbooth.com/de/the-di...epartment.html

Here some teaser vid with sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5QLFUQDPME

Looks quite interesting and hands on. From what I can see, each voice has a tri/saw/noise/hihat sound source, some filtering and potentially crossmod capabilities betwen channels. There are modulatable repeat trigger functions and 4 individual outputs.

Looking forward to some audio demos since I'm well in the market for some flexible (and affordable) drumsynth. UP K2-X always eludes me on auctions... so that might be the next best thing?
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post

Looking forward to some audio demos since I'm well in the market for some flexible (and affordable) drumsynth. UP K2-X always eludes me on auctions... so that might be the next best thing?
Fresh upload, live rec of 3 x 01/IV sequenced and processed by OT, enjoy!

Old 5th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by covariance View Post
Fresh upload, live rec of 3 x 01/IV sequenced and processed by OT, enjoy!

Ace, thanks! Sounds well wicked (the extreme high from 0.50 a bit too much tho - kick, clap and hats in particular! Very promising!

so, that's 3 units in parallel or 3 channels? I guess sound storage and on the fly program changes is not an option here (don't care about that too much tho).

Mind revealing a bit more about the individual sound engines? (What's the oscillator basis, the filter, in particular? Hats are not sanmples, right?)

cheers
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Classic analog VCO-VCF-VCA audio path, no sample.
Hi-hat is 808 style with 6 square wave oscillators and analog procession.

New track with live hi-hat tweak, epic

Old 5th May 2019
Yass- thx. really like what I'm hearing in this and the other demo. Very nice sound character and variation. Are you the developer? Really curious about the full specs & fingers crossed for good responses at Superbooth!
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

No analog triggers?
Old 7th May 2019
Yeah, that it's missing triggers seems a bitz weird, given its analogue signal path. Depending on the desing stage this could be changed? (or, putting my diy hat on, changed after by users...) I personally don't mind that too much.

And yes, the sound is right! What I've heard so far from the two soundcloud demos and this makes me absolutely interested. Good range from sy-1 style to sweet hats and cymbals (liked them much more than drumbrute or elektron style stuff) and some classic elektro stuff and even disco piuu piuu. Basic sonic quality sounds awesome to me so far, so this is definitely on my radar.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Sounds very interesting. Looking forward to more news about this drum machine
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
No analog triggers?
External triggers planned to be available as an extra little add-on box with trigs in midi out, no external power.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
External triggers planned to be available as an extra little add-on box with trigs in midi out, no external power.
Are they going to be direct analog triggers or will they just be triggering MIDI notes? I gotta have the snappiness of direct triggers, no digital interfacing.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
sweet hats and cymbals (liked them much more than drumbrute or elektron style stuff)
Shouldn't be hard to do. Both drumbrute and electon hats and cymbals are insultingly terrible.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artfluids View Post
are they going to be direct analog triggers or will they just be triggering midi notes? I gotta have the snappiness of direct triggers, no digital interfacing.
gearslutz.com...

On another note, I hate these stupid "soft focus" "teaser" photos. Stop regurgitating the same marketing BS, FFS

Juts show us the full front panel. You're a nobody company, and nobody is teased by that photo.

BTW the demos sound great but would be good to hear more dry demos (no external FX)...
Old 7th May 2019
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
gearslutz.com...

On another note, I hate these stupid "soft focus" "teaser" photos. Stop regurgitating the same marketing BS, FFS

Juts show us the full front panel. You're a nobody company, and nobody is teased by that photo.

BTW the demos sound great but would be good to hear more dry demos (no external FX)...
Yes, it was unintended media leak with some stolen photos from instagram plus speculation without asking or permitting. That's how 21st century media works.
Anyway the official website is on with full description.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Are they going to be direct analog triggers or will they just be triggering MIDI notes? I gotta have the snappiness of direct triggers, no digital interfacing.
Digital is a must, but latency under 1ms. It will be tested with live drummer, hope will pass.
Technically, 1ms of delay is same as listening something from 0.3 meter. So not worse than an acoustic drum.
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:
Digital is a must, but latency under 1ms.
Nice!

Will possibly be communicated very soon, but what about the midi implementation? Are midi CCs for the sound paramaters available (thinking about automation)?

I like the demos you keep adding at soundcloud!
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice!
Are midi CCs for the sound paramaters available (thinking about automation)?
!
MIDI CC is partial, work on some parameters and with some tricks it is possible to make for example filter automation or weird MIDI LFO tweaking on pitch. Still it is more like an added bonus than a full feature.

Quote:
Nice!
I like the demos you keep adding at soundcloud!
You have ears for that! Thanks! Exactly SY-1 and TRs where most of the inspiration came from. Pure transistor sound, minimal use of anything complex in the audio path.
Old 8th May 2019
Heh, yes, triangle kicks, fm and proper hats rule

Just saw website is live now with a good deal of info: https://www.thedivisiondepartment.com/

Like the layout and the abilitiy to xmod two channels. Mod options are well chosen and potent enough for all sorts of sounds & midi, although possibly rudimentary for some, is well enough, I think. Would have been nice to be able to recall patches, but in terms of recording I personally favour hands on audio sessions with knob twisting.

As for the sound, again, I'm quite hyped so far (check the 50 sounds example on soundcloud). A good measure of basics and some more weirdness (anyone remembers maxim drum synth on windows? - also I see these kind of sounds sitting very well in a mix. so,

Let's see how much this will be money-wise.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Looks and sounds great!
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

That amen example on SC sounded really good, keen to see price .

I need another drum machine like ... but hey got me more tweaked than the Digitonekeys did today
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

waiting for more info
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
waiting for more info
+1

Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

would be nice if the The Division Department will make single voice eurorack module as well.
i see this drum machine as 4 modules in one box.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Are they at superbooth? Any more info? Eagerly waiting price.
Old 10th May 2019
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

surely someone has more info from talking to them?
Old 13th May 2019
Seems to be the underdog of this year's superbooth. nothing new on muffs or sequencer,de either
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

Like an ADX1 except it actually sounds good

curious about the midi implementation, is it one midi channel and each instrument has a different note or is each channel a separate midi channel?
Old 13th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
Like an ADX1 except it actually sounds good

curious about the midi implementation, is it one midi channel and each instrument has a different note or is each channel a separate midi channel?
they have some info on their webpage on that - span of notes per instrument, if memory serves, and some midi ccs
πŸ“ Reply