The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Best String Synth in 2019? Or go for the vintage real deal?
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Some nice string sounds from The River above, but for a purist (which i am not), the synth is disqualified for true old stringer sounds for one simple reason:
The oscillators are not divide down.

Sure you can try to emulate these sounds on poly synths and i even did it myself without any external ensemble or chorus effects, but that last step... NOPE.
Yeah... the River examples sound good... but just not the same as a divide down stringer. There is something unique and lovely about the later.
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

I agree it's not the same, but for me there is something unique and lovely about the sound of The River plus The Triko.

In the end, Quantum7 might decide he still wants that sound which only a vintage stringer (or authentic reissue) can deliver.

If it were me, I would go with what I have and develop a new sound. Perhaps someday others will wonder "what synth is that?!" and then want a reissue of it or a software model.
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Do like the examples of the River as it go to direction of Arp Omni that has a denser sound not as lush as SSE . The SSE is real lush with a very tiny ground tone amd flush chorus make it easy in the mix . The 310 is also denser and some compression help to tame the beast , but it is not a real nice SSE . The SSE string can almost become a voice singing a opera
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler View Post
The SSE string can almost become a voice singing a opera
The Solina String Ensemble is the only stringer I've ever really lusted after.

Oh, how I love that sound.
Old 6th May 2019
Here for the gear
Just a quick jam on my Trident today, no multitracking, 1 track, mono output.

Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Korg Prologues have a Triphase chorus.

https://www.emusician.com/how-to/mas...-korg-prologue

Quote:
MODULATION EFFECTS

Under Chorus, you can select Stereo, Light, Deep, Triphase, Harmonic, Mono, Feedback and Vibrato effects. Of these, Triphase is a real standout, as it is a modern take on the unique Arp Solina ensemble and perfect for simulating vintage string sounds.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
basically every poly with sawtooth works
The waveform generated by the viola/violin of a Solina doesn't really look like a sawtooth though

Quote:
further research will show you clearly that you buy a vc 340 .. minimal effort with the greatest effect .. resistance is futile
For modern options, I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Although I have a VP-330 with all the accompanying legendary vibe, I also have an Akai S-6000 with all sorts of really nice banks from 'trons to Solinas to actual orchestra string section sets and find it is often the fun choice.
While I wouldn't think twice about using samples for 'tron sounds, Solinas are more tricky. The octave division is important and samplers don't have the Ensemble chorus.

When fxpansion released their DCAM plugins, I was one of the first to jump on it. Part of that reason was Amber.

However, I'd rank it somewhere close to Streichfett nowadays. It just didn't do the Solina sound.

Before Arturia finally showed up with their Solina-V, I used this one: https://www.native-instruments.com/e...try/show/4525/

I have an actual Solina String Ensemble, but the fact that there were more revisions didn't cross my mind until someone pointed it out. The one in Reaktor sounds different from mine (but closer than Amber), that's for sure. I'll have to check.

Also, sadly the contrabass and cello gave out. It's going to need service for that :( I might even go so far to get a VC340 in the meantime to soften the blow a bit

Quote:
HW samplers with a ton of ram and clean vibe-less sound are plentiful and cheap these days and the libraries are pretty much free for some effort.
You have to admit that you're basically using it as a rompler in this case, only with a bit of loading time up front

The thing with most Solina patches on any other device than a Solina is that they're so fond of the Jarre Small Stone phaser sound that they sound OK with the phaser slapped on and not even close to passable with the phaser off.

Last edited by Yoozer; 7th May 2019 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: fix video link
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

I think you are doing a pretty decent GS job of missing the point my friend. I never said nor did I mean to suggest that a sampler was a substitute for a Solina. Not even that it sounded the same. I was simply sharing my experience that having a more modern clean highr ram sampler was a nice compliment to my Roland VP-330. The sampler has midi, filters and LFOs, multi, and has a limited enough UI that I focus on playing the keys rather than noodling around with a monitor and mouse. At $300 this is a pretty decent device for lots of string sounds. I am a hardware guy and a bit of a purist - I'd never suggest a sample of anything was a direct replacement, only that a super versatile hardware device with lots of (free) string sounds is working nicely for me.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The waveform generated by the viola/violin of a Solina doesn't really look like a sawtooth though

Also, sadly the contrabass and cello gave out. It's going to need service for that...

The thing with most Solina patches on any other device than a Solina is that they're so fond of the Jarre Small Stone phaser sound that they sound OK with the phaser slapped on and not even close to passable with the phaser off.
Sorry to hear you've lost your contrabassists and cellists. They can be an unreliable lot, it's true.

I have a tradition going back years of making Solina patches on every new polysynth I add to the studio.

It's like a kind of ritual, sport or form of meditation.

This is what I've managed to get so far from The River--the violin section playing in lower registers. Next up, the violas.
Attached Files

The_River_Solina_01.mp3 (2.12 MB, 1060 views)

Old 7th May 2019
i found an ancient demo: this was slightly tweaked factory preset on Andromeda, when i got one back in 2001. just checked, patch has 20% internal 0.22Hz chorus send, and some plate. faster phasing and harmonic movement in the top is from the synth engine itself:

http://www.babic.com/SYN/A6/clc_A6-VintageStrgs.mp3

listening to it nowadays, sounds very different from solina/u310. more like a cleanish/sweeter version of logan or vp. like most attempts without a true bbd ensemble, lacks the characteristic mid range grind.

@ Yoozer : are you sure its not just contact on the switches instead of sound circuitry? i had this happen on mine, and cleaned them and problem gone.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellecke View Post
Just a quick jam on my Trident today, no multitracking, 1 track, mono output.

The unmistakable sound of the Trident. So majestical and encompassing.

.. although probably my ultimate synthesizer, .....not my ultimate stringer. The Solina (particularly when heard being used by Mr Dolby) is the one.

I would also agree that the Streichfett (although great fun) is rather thin and characterless. My EPS-1 puts it to shame when played together. It starts to sound very one dimensional.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure if I'd own multiple stringers, but I do have an Elka Rhapsody 610 that I love and it kind of handles any "I need a stringer sound for this track" moments that come up.

It's starting to get a bit cranky though - not really playing-wise but the faders are starting to make the sound drop in and out so I'm probably due for a desoldering and complete clean of the faders, at least.

That being said, if a well functioning Solina, or especially an Eko Stradivarius or Crumar crossed my path, I'd probably make room for it.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

It’s not hard to make a very damn nice strings patch with almost any analog synth, in particular VCO-based (IMO), preferably with 2 or more oscillators.

Add chorus, etc., to taste. Done.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
It’s not hard to make a very damn nice strings patch with almost any analog synth, in particular VCO-based (IMO), preferably with 2 or more oscillators.

Yep and in some ways it's a better sound to me.

But it's damn near impossible to nail the Solina thing. Then once you get the Solina, you need the phaser... then you need tape because it tames the phaser just right. fk it, I'd rather go with the string sound you can make on any synth.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Made a remix some time ago from the cure with all sounds coming from the Eminent 310 except drum ,have used a sampler with this . You can get away with sampler within a certain limit depending an structure .No phaser or other effect is used and it is digital mixed ITB , do not mix like this any more but must admit it is very productive work-flow

Solina sounds
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm surprised not too much love for the rs-505, it's my fav by far

and of course with no fx it sounds wonderful as well

Old 8th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
@ Yoozer : are you sure its not just contact on the switches instead of sound circuitry? i had this happen on mine, and cleaned them and problem gone.
I hope so! When they're enabled there's a very, very weak signal still there, so I hope that it's just that. No idea on how to start cleaning them, though.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

One stringer I had high hopes for but was quite disappointed by was the Yamaha SK20. It wasn't awful but didn't inspire me much. As Yoozer said, plug a Smallstone into the signal and it sounded fantastic (The Smallstone can be like the Big Sky sometimes as anything sounds good through it really). ie JMJ's 'sound' on Oxygene is really the Smallstone, rather than the Eminient 310 some would say? Perhaps? perhaps not.

One stringer I would like to try is the Crumar Performer. All demos I have heard sound very good. But I haven't played one in person yet. My EPS-1 stringer is quite beautiful sounding, but the lack of control or variety is a bit frustrating.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post

The stringers still have their own sound... plus they have plenty of polyphony
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

BTW:

Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

I'm not familiar with string synths, but stumbled across this topic and got curious. The name is self explanatory but exactly how do they work? Like what do they do compared to typical synths?
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocorn View Post
I'm not familiar with string synths, but stumbled across this topic and got curious. The name is self explanatory but exactly how do they work? Like what do they do compared to typical synths?
They offered polyphony at the cost of reduced expression. Notes don't trigger individually - if you set the attack time to maximum, the first note will start from silence; subsequent notes will play at the volume that the first note has. Basically a monophonic volume envelope.

The Solina I have has no user-modifiable filters. A static pair of bandpass filters with some resonance are applied to simulate the horn/trumpet sounds.

The oscillators work according to the divide-down principle; you have an oscillator per note in the octave. This gives full polyphony; every lower key outputs the signal of the octave divider.

It is much cheaper to build twelve very simple oscillators and a set of octave dividers than to build that many individual synth voices - each with the full set of filters, envelopes, LFOs and all that.

Often, phasers, flangers and chorus are employed to make the sound appear rich and animated without requiring actual oscillator or filter modulation. These are often built in as well. The difference between the sound with and without is pretty shocking.

Their role is generally to provide pads. You would use a monophonic lead synth (Odyssey, Minimoog) to play solos over them. While a Rhodes can work in that role as well, the volume is of course not constant.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocorn View Post
They take their full polyphony from dividing the frequency of one master oscillator or 12 oscillators of the top octave.
With very few exceptions they are paraphonic, meaning that there is one common filter (or none) and envelope for all voices.
And to make the sound much more interesting, they are equipped with a nice ensemble effect.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
I'm surprised not too much love for the rs-505, it's my fav by far

and of course with no fx it sounds wonderful as well

It sound (and looks!) wonderful. With a massive low end

Old 8th May 2019
I am not a purist with string synths and never played any of the classics ... as I see it though a good ensemble effect like the Elkorus along with an analog poly synth string patch will get you in the same territory.

Here's my attempt at it on a CODE 8 string patch, using the CS80 filters and an Elkorus in the mixers effect return. See the video description for details.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sound like this is why I chose a Roland RS-505.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Check out this review
Holy sh!tsnacks, that sounds phenomenal. I have absolutely no room for one, but I really want one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Also, sadly the contrabass and cello gave out. It's going to need service for that :( I might even go so far to get a VC340 in the meantime to soften the blow a bit
If you’re up for Software the XILS V+ is very good.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post

Can't fool me. That's a clip of a Tarkovsky film soundtrack!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux View Post
Sound like this is why I chose a Roland RS-505.

Cheers,
Ian
Damn - Just wanted to say hey! Haven't seen you around here in ages!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search