The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS50Ring View Post
But what I wouldn't spend a dime on is a modern "tribute" synth built to the specifications of people who don't even seem to really like the original...
Old 3 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post

https://www.amazona.de/wp-content/up...-recording.png
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-vangelis-rosetta-recording.jpg  
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Saying that the clone needs to be a 100% clone shows a basic lack of understanding of what makes CS-80 sound like CS-80.
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Saying that the clone needs to be a 100% clone shows a basic lack of understanding of what makes CS-80 sound like CS-80.
Joking aside, the Behringer CR78 thread discussed this a lot with proposed designs - some happy to shove the sounds in a 626 clone box, while others wanted the exterior and controls as close to the OG as possible - different strokes 'n' all that.

In a recent toss up between the RD8 and TR-08 I went with the 08, partly because apart from being shrunk, it kept closer to the OG in terms of programming and 808 experience (ACB vs analogue arguments aside) - I'm in the stick to the OG camp.

With the CS-80, I'd be happy to see it smaller/lighter than the OG, but layout should be as close of OG as possible and wheels are all wrong - so glad no wheels on Oddy clones (Korg and Behr).
Old 46 minutes ago
Gear Nut

Though I think nailing the sound will be difficult enough, it's not the only thing that makes the CS series so great. The physical aspect and quality of playing the instrument (key bed, sliders, ribbon, size, etc.) will be hard to replicate.

In that department, I think B will have a much easier time recreating the experience of some other poly titans like the OB's/JP's/Prophets, etc.
Old 46 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Wheels are all sorts of right. Especially pitch bend - you can't do everything with ribbon that you can with the wheel. And vice versa, of course. Having both is best.
Old 40 minutes ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt
So, I'd rather have a 100% clone. I obviously misunderstand something important, but to hell with that. I still only consider reissues in the style of Korg's Arp 2600 - 100% with optional subtle and unobtrusive enhancements. Behringer will only ever score a buy from me when they get to that level and not a notch lower than that. I can wait, there's no rush.

The others like Mutantt, who are aggressively trying to denigrate other synth lovers' opinions, may continue basking in their enlightenment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search