Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

great demo, sounds incredible
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFX View Post
great demo, sounds incredible
Indeed. Another great GForce film. Actually, watching this I'm now thinking "sod the modern features, just give us a 1:1 clone" with this synth. Starting to warm to the idea of the miniature panel and all of the ridiculous analogue features that make this such an iconic instrument.

Maybe a "DS80X" could be a scale-down replica, and a "DS80P" could be a modern version with digital controls, full programmable memories, and extra features. A bit like the Korg FS and Mini versions... but not mini.

I really hope the Behringer engineering team are watching videos like this.. and taking notes.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil
I'm now thinking "sod the modern features, just give us a 1:1 clone" with this synth
I've always thought that regarding every classic synth. I wouldn't mind the size and weight. I wouldn't even mind the price if they were still being made as proper reissues or replicas.

Before anyone jumps to my throat for not minding the price - I'm not rich and can't afford it right now. I just don't have to own every single amazing synth on the planet to enjoy the fact that they exist.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemartin View Post
I've always thought that regarding every classic synth. I wouldn't mind the size and weight. I wouldn't even mind the price if they were still being made as proper reissues or replicas.

Before anyone jumps to my throat for not minding the price - I'm not rich and can't afford it right now. I just don't have to own every single amazing synth on the planet to enjoy the fact that they exist.
This is the first time I've really wanted a 1:1 clone.
When I watch OBXa videos, for example, I just think "that would sound even better with velocity and poly aftertouch". For this, it just needs MIDI.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just to say that, although it's flattering that Behringer are listening to people on here like me, I'd actually rather they listened to people like Dave Spiers and Chris Macleod on this one. The experience of owning a CS80 is quite different to wanting one from a distance. I'm now regreting asking for modern features to be added.

The quality of every slider, the layout, the preset experience, the quality of the keys.. it's all important.

But please don't make it 100kg....
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Just to say that, although it's flattering that Behringer are listening to people on here like me, I'd actually rather they listened to people like Dave Spiers and Chris Macleod on this one.
Didn't realize they offered their input.

Quote:
I'm now regreting asking for modern features to be added.
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to say that, although it's flattering that Behringer are listening to people on here like me, I'd actually rather they listened to people like Dave Spiers and Chris Macleod on this one. The experience of owning a CS80 is quite different to wanting one from a distance. I'm now regreting asking for modern features to be added.

The quality of every slider, the layout, the preset experience, the quality of the keys.. it's all important.

But please don't make it 100kg....
No regrets here. Not interested in exact clonage. Deifying the shortcomings of the past. And yes, I owned one, albeit it never worked right.

Though an exact clone/modern addition version would be reasonable.
Old 19 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm now regreting asking for modern features to be added.

I've never owned a CS-80, but having spent hundreds of hours with my CS-50, I can pretty confidently say I wouldn't change a thing, except to make it a CS-80, which is basically just more of itself. I have a feeling (though please feel free to disagree ) that most CS-50/60/80 owners/lovers feel the same way.
Like I said before, I would make a lot of sacrifices to own a CS-80... I already sacrificed more than what most people seem willing to pay for this clone just to own a CS-50. But what I wouldn't spend a dime on is a modern "tribute" synth built to the specifications of people who don't even seem to really like the original...
Old 18 hours ago
My vote is for the original design Uli posted but with the ribbon controller extendedto the real length.
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
My vote is for the original design Uli posted but with the ribbon controller extendedto the real length.
I doubt those analog patch memory sliders will get cloned. More likely they would end up being digital, which would be hilarious.
Old 15 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy View Post
Sounds like Vangelis.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

It would be fantastic if you could control the balance or crossfade between the 2 synth sections via aftertouch. This isn’t possible on the OG is it?
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
This is the first time I've really wanted a 1:1 clone.
When I watch OBXa videos, for example, I just think "that would sound even better with velocity and poly aftertouch". For this, it just needs MIDI.
I think Korg and Moog have got things pretty well spot on with their reissues (apart from Korg's minikey versions) - mainly the same as the OG, but with a few neat additions where in-keeping with the OG.

Patchable velocity and aftertouch on the Minimoog + the dedicated LFO and default feedback loop via external in really enhance the performance capabilities of the synth while keeping the original vibe and you can revert to original by ignoring these options.

The Karp Oddy FS just adds the 3 filter revisions and the drive switch (plus PPC not originally on the White Face) - again additional features which are handy but can be ignored if you like to.

If Behr follow this approach it would be great - like they did with the VC340 AFAIK. Making their CS-80 smaller than the OG would be fine for me and definitely lighter! Not that a 1:1 would be a disaster, but it doesn't seem to be the Behr way generally.
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy View Post
Really great walk-through.

Any Hydrasynth owners here?
Is it possible to achieve similar sounds and expressions with the PAT and the ribbon control of the Hydrasynth?
Has the ribbon control of the Hydrasynth a similar functionality?
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
I know it's not the same layout as the original, but I think this version might have the best feng shui of the three revisions, in terms of slider placement.

(2nd revision)

vs

(3rd revision)
I agree. And also, I've been watching Dave Spiers' wonderful walkthrough of the CS-80, and... Well, I feel it would be best to skip the modwheels on the DS-80. It just ain't right. Not one bit.

Edit : If the controlpanel ends up being a bit cramped, maybe Behringer could add 3-4 cm depth on the back.
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Addict

I cant help but think that the dave smith prophet 12 and the novation summit come close to the cs 80
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajor Hill View Post
I cant help but think that the dave smith prophet 12 and the novation summit come close to the cs 80
Yes - many synths have similar features.
But as Dave said at the end of the video, it is a case of it being greater than the sum of its parts.
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
It would be fantastic if you could control the balance or crossfade between the 2 synth sections via aftertouch. This isn’t possible on the OG is it?
Maybe not in exactly the way you're talking about, but you can adjust the sensitivity of the aftertouch level (and brilliance) individually for each voice.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-yamaha-cs-80-analog-synth-11_0b4bd2f2-63ca-450c-8883-409088f0d0c5-2000x1237.jpg  
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajor Hill View Post
Not to say they can't do similar things, but they are VERY DIFFERENT instruments with a totally different feel. Pretty sure the Prophet 12 uses digital oscillators for starters.

On the other hand, if the DS-80 is going to have digital sliders (as required for patch memory) and mod wheels, you might as well just buy a Prophet or a Novation IMO.
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Addict

After watching David´s beautiful CS-80 video I finally hope that even the last souls got why a CS-80 can´t and shouldn´t be altered in any way in an attempt to build a clone. It´s already perfect for what it is and what it´s supposed to do - being a CS-80.

The sound, the features, the layout of the control surface, the coulours, it´s just beautiful and perfect. The only thing ugly about it is its weight which is something that surely can be addressed.

Best part of the video apart from the sound: "Yeah, well, sounds like Vangelis, Dave" But, please keep on sounding like the maestro... love it!
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
After watching David´s beautiful CS-80 video I finally hope that even the last souls got why a CS-80 can´t and shouldn´t be altered in any way in an attempt to build a clone. It´s already perfect for what it is and what it´s supposed to do - being a CS-80.

The sound, the features, the layout of the control surface, the coulours, it´s just beautiful and perfect. The only thing ugly about it is its weight which is something that surely can be addressed.

Best part of the video apart from the sound: "Yeah, well, sounds like Vangelis, Dave" But, please keep on sounding like the maestro... love it!
What a load of nonsense. If they add features that dont impact the sonic characteristics that is only welcome.
The CS80 is a marvel of design, but it’s not some sacred piece that is flawless/perfect.

What about a good reverb effect included for example, also referring to the ‘reverb’ rule in David’s video.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

I must admit- I don't think the wheels are very necessary for this one- it doesn't seem like the right 'modern enhancement'.

I think the ring mod etc controls need to be nearer the keyboard than they would be on revision 2 as they are performance controls so there would be less movement required to reach them. I know it wouldn't be too far to that part of the panel, but when playing, less distance is more!

Maybe keep the sound selection buttons located as they were on the original (including the original presets) with the screen/memory controls on the upper left where the analogue memories were.
Old 42 minutes ago
Here for the gear

I come from the future and I'm telling you - this clone project will be axed. They will clone Deckard's Dream instead, but it will suffer from hanging notes for the first 7 months after release and it will sound more like Novation Summit than a CS80. However, it will have one improvement over Deckard's Dream - a digital ring modulator by Klark Teknik (the corresponding GS thread will be locked, so don't preorder your popcorn yet).

Still no news on the RD9, though

Ok, enough trolling for today.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search