The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by javipax View Post
Such a great look, it would be even better if it had a hinge more like the one in Moog Voyager XL. It inspired me to do a mockup with everything I've liked and thought in this thread, I think I've found my perfect version of the DS80. Now I'm probably going to ge disspointed when it gets done differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
That's far too modern looking, needs more wood.

Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-ds0.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-ds0.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Patch storage upper left

Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-wood.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-wood.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
That's far too modern looking, needs more wood.

The transformation from multi drawer to synth is stunning!

Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Such a great look, it would be even better if it had a hinge more like the one in Moog Voyager XL. It inspired me to do a mockup with everything I've liked and thought in this thread, I think I've found my perfect version of the DS80. Now I'm probably going to ge disspointed when it gets done differently

All furniture related amusements aside, I must say that I too would be disappointed if the DS80 was made in any other way than this latest mock up by Javipax.
I almost like the look of this better than an actual CS80, which is not something I would have expected to say.

It would really make a lot of sense to have this tiltable main panel to give us better access to the many sliders, whilst still maintaining the smaller proportions. A good idea. One which I hope everyone can get behind, and eventually in front of.

The only thing that might be better would be the portamento strip being located on the wood panel above the keys.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:

A multi-colored LCD screen on a recreation of a CS-80? Personally I think the latest "official" rendering looks much more stylish and tidy. Although I do LOVE tiltable panels on synths, I thnk they should save it for a later synth. They just did it with the Poly D. Just my two cents.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
The latest B render is the best. No need for an obnoxious tilting pannel on a poly. Makes sense on a mono.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
All furniture related amusements aside, I must say that I too would be disappointed if the DS80 was made in any other way than this latest mock up by Javipax.
I almost like the look of this better than an actual CS80, which is not something I would have expected to say.

It would really make a lot of sense to have this tiltable main panel to give us better access to the many sliders, whilst still maintaining the smaller proportions. A good idea. One which I hope everyone can get behind, and eventually in front of.

The only thing that might be better would be the portamento strip being located on the wood panel above the keys.
Tilted strip > flat strip
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Tilted strip > flat strip
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pknolan View Post
The latest B render is the best. No need for an obnoxious tilting pannel on a poly. Makes sense on a mono.
I don't really understand the thinking. How does it make sense on a mono but not a poly? Whatever the reasoning, you could maybe choose not to angle any possible tilting panel, if doing so would upset you. I know that I would love to be able to have that choice of variable angles.
The CS panels are on a pretty decent incline, and not without good reason I find.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I think you're right, probably a flat ribbon is more comfortable than an angled one, it would prevent harmful wrist bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Foghorn View Post
A multi-colored LCD screen on a recreation of a CS-80?
It wouldn't be on the CS80, it's part of something I proposed earlier on the thread. It would be a modular option for those who want Modwheel, pitchbend, LCD screen and effects on the DS80. There was a lot of people asking for this features, and a lot of people hating the idea at the same time. I thought adding an optional module would solve the discussion as both sides could get what they wanted without it meaning a big compromise for the others. Here in gearslutz it didn't have a great welcome, but in the facebook group about the DS80 a lot f people liked the idea. In the image I'm attaching it's clearer, I find it easier to explain this kind of thing with images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pknolan View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree. I don't see the relationship between number of voices and tilting pannel. With the DS80 I think it makes it look better and closer to the original with a similar angle, but also serves a function. The labels on the faders are easier to read and reach. It would also mean that it can be made smaller than behringers mockups, as there's no need to make it angle d anymore as the hinge takes care of that. I've added a picture of the original as well for comparison.

Quote:
Personally I think the latest "official" rendering looks much more stylish and tidy. Although I do LOVE tiltable panels on synths, I thnk they should save it for a later synth. They just did it with the Poly D. Just my two cents.
That's fair, everyone likes different things and I respect your preferences for the last mockups- In the image I've added some examples of the reasoning behind the changes I've made, I think you'll probably agree on some of them, or at least they will spark some discussion. For example, I’ve added more space between groups of faders in the main section so it’s more understandable and doesn’t feel as crowded as the behringer mockup. This way the eye seesfour groups of faders instead a massive one. You can see behringer mockup on the image, the sequencer-arp- section has a lot of unused space while the faders on the right are too close to each other

Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-ds80-hinge-detailed.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Yamaha CS 80 clone (DS 80) Speculation Thread-ds80-hinge-detailed.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you're right, probably a flat ribbon is more comfortable than an angled one, it would prevent harmful wrist bending.

It wouldn't be on the CS80, it's part of something I proposed earlier on the thread. It would be a modular option for those who want Modwheel, pitchbend, LCD screen and effects on the DS80. There was a lot of people asking for this features, and a lot of people hating the idea at the same time. I thought adding an optional module would solve the discussion as both sides could get what they wanted without it meaning a big compromise for the others. Here in gearslutz it didn't have a great welcome, but in the facebook group about the DS80 a lot f people liked the idea. In the image I'm attaching it's clearer, I find it easier to explain this kind of thing with images.

Sorry, but I don't agree. I don't see the relationship between number of voices and tilting pannel. With the DS80 I think it makes it look better and closer to the original with a similar angle, but also serves a function. The labels on the faders are easier to read and reach. It would also mean that it can be made smaller than behringers mockups, as there's no need to make it angle d anymore as the hinge takes care of that. I've added a picture of the original as well for comparison.

That's fair, everyone likes different things and I respect your preferences for the last mockups- In the image I've added some examples of the reasoning behind the changes I've made, I think you'll probably agree on some of them, or at least they will spark some discussion. For example, I’ve added more space between groups of faders in the main section so it’s more understandable and doesn’t feel as crowded as the behringer mockup. This way the eye seesfour groups of faders instead a massive one. You can see behringer mockup on the image, the sequencer-arp- section has a lot of unused space while the faders on the right are too close to each other

You wouldn't have to bend your wrist, just stick your finger straight out.
Old 3 days ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:

You really gone to some lengths to work out a design. There was a lot of detail there.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
Phew! Well that to me sounds perfectly reasonable, as long as there would be an option not to have an LCD screen and all the extras. However, I personally have a feeling those things would be added, or not at all offered on the synth.

Quote:
I think I can see where you're coming from here, javipax! Allthough I still like the latest B rendering best, I love angled panels as I mentioned. And as much wood, steel and Tolex as possible - always. However, I would like to mention you did some great work here! I'm hoping Uli is following these threads, talk about involved and commited people! I'm just very happy to be part of such a great community!

[/QUOTE]
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Uli, hire this guy !!!!
Old 3 days ago
Put the hinge above the controller boom ship it.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

For the love of all that is holy, @ Uli Behringer , PLEASE do not make the DS-80 look like that hinged Moog Voyager XL abomination.

Seriously, guys, your design skills are terrible. I hope you guys are trolling.

Uli's latest design looks really good.

FWIW, a slanted surface similar to the CS-80 is possible without the fugly two-piece hinged design. The JB Solaris is a perfect example. I still think the current Behr version is perfect, sliders and touch-strips are more ergo with less of a slant.

Disclaimer: I was a member on here since 2000. I left this dumpster-fire of forum a year ago, but the horrid design ideas compelled me to create another account and post. Yes, they are that bad!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
I still think the current Behr version is perfect . . .
Agree.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

While it looks similar it probably won’t sound similar
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the love of all that is holy, @ Uli Behringer , PLEASE do not make the DS-80 look like that hinged Moog Voyager XL abomination.

FWIW, a slanted surface similar to the CS-80 is possible without the fugly two-piece hinged design. The JB Solaris is a perfect example. I still think the current Behr version is perfect, sliders and touch-strips are more ergo with less of a slant.

Disclaimer: I was a member on here since 2000. I left this dumpster-fire of forum a year ago, but the horrid design ideas compelled me to create another account and post. Yes, they are that bad!
You must be off your meds.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
You must be off your meds.
Just interested in a DS-80 that doesn't look like ass.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
While it looks similar it probably won’t sound similar
What do you base your opinion on?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
I suspect Behringer Derangement Syndrome.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s probably being built based off deckards dream, and that doesn’t sound like a cs80 either
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
It’s probably being built based off deckards dream, and that doesn’t sound like a cs80 either
I insisit: what do you base your opinion on? Do you know something the rest of us ignore?

Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/behringer/p...type=3&theater
Old 2 days ago
DGL
Lives for gear
waht people forget about behringer is they have the power, cash and engineers to recreate certain aspects of vintage analogue hardware that a smaller company could never dream of doing, that's why products like Deckards Dream have to make compromises, this is especialy true if the aformentioned analogue hardware recreations are not then re-used in other products, or even used by competitors. The coolaudio CEM3340 clone and BBD chips are a prime example of this.
Remember some of the Yamaha stuff used custom Yamaha parts that are unobtanium and knowing that the makers of Deckards Dream would have used what was available easily rather than go to the enormous expense of recreating everything perfectly.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
waht people forget about behringer is they have the power, cash and engineers to recreate certain aspects of vintage analogue hardware that a smaller company could never dream of doing, that's why products like Deckards Dream have to make compromises, this is especialy true if the aformentioned analogue hardware recreations are not then re-used in other products, or even used by competitors. The coolaudio CEM3340 clone and BBD chips are a prime example of this.
Remember some of the Yamaha stuff used custom Yamaha parts that are unobtanium and knowing that the makers of Deckards Dream would have used what was available easily rather than go to the enormous expense of recreating everything perfectly.
I agree.

However, the creators of the Deckards have made a Synthex clone as well and it's just perfect. One of the guys involved in the project sent me privately some excerpts of a Jarre's Rendez-vous recreation and it was astonishing. They nailed the sound so much that I (a Jarre's long time big fan) barely could notice any difference.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
You wouldn't have to bend your wrist, just stick your finger straight out.
I'm not sure, is one of those things that I would have to test for a long time before I can have an opinion. But I have a tendinopathy and it was the result of bad playing habits, so I'm extra careful now with those kind of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
You really gone to some lengths to work out a design. There was a lot of detail there.
Thanks! I know it's a little bit too much since I'm not getting paid or anything and I'm investing my time in something which is probably pointless and no one's going to thank me (and for a big corporation), but I'm very picky with my musical instruments. I know some people see synths as tools or collectables but I like to fall in love with everything on them, from the sound to the looks. I want something that I can stare for hours even when I'm not playing and with a look that makes me want to play them. And instead of spending time complaining about the things I would've done differently after it's released, I think trying to get a least one one of the things I would love it to have is worth the time.

Quote:

I think I can see where you're coming from here, javipax! Allthough I still like the latest B rendering best, I love angled panels as I mentioned. And as much wood, steel and Tolex as possible - always. However, I would like to mention you did some great work here! I'm hoping Uli is following these threads, talk about involved and commited people! I'm just very happy to be part of such a great community!

[/QUOTE]

I love it when the threads on the forum are like this, when people can have different opinions and still have a friendly and interesting conversation. I wish it was always like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
Uli, hire this guy !!!!
Thanks! I could use the money

Quote:

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love it when the threads on the forum are like this, when people can have different opinions and still have a friendly and interesting conversation. I wish it was always like this!
I didn't like your designs, but I don't blame you for that: the original CS80 is horrible, so any design inspired by the OG will be horrible too (including the ones that Behringer showed some months ago).

Generally speaking, I like most of the classic synth designs (especially from the late 80s). But there is something in the CS-80 that I don't like at all. Maybe it's the colours they chose (that red-yellow-green 'jamaican' style) for the switches and caps.

I'm wondering how would it look like if it had a different colour palette (e.g. blue tones for the buttons and LED sliders).
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

I hope you realize I was hating on all of the two-piece hinged suggestions, not just yours.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

I'm wondering how would it look like if it had...LED sliders).
Those tiny LED sliders would look too similar to Deckard's Dream, imagine the outrage.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search