The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1U rack synth Gems
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

E-MU Procussion. I had one a while back. Loaded with some pretty cool drum sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
And of course the U220 has the "Mad Organ" preset, made famous with this

Made even more famous when Saturday Night Live used it in this

So THAT is where that organ sound had come from? I've been searching for the source of that sound for a long time... Thanks!

Is it literally the order that was used, complete with that crunchy overdrive, or was there additional processing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
So THAT is where that organ sound had come from? I've been searching for the source of that sound for a long time... Thanks!

Is it literally the order that was used, complete with that crunchy overdrive, or was there additional processing?
Without a doubt it's the Mad Organ preset on the U220. I am 99% certain the only other processing done was slamming the preamp in a 1990s mixer with it that is where the crunch comes from. I could get that exact sound slamming it into my old Mackie 8 Bus

We used to play it in a cover band I was in in the mid 1990s arranged as more of a rock song with live bass and acoustic drums. I played the U220 preset by driving it into a Roland GP16 effects rack that belonged to our guitarist. The GP16 had really bad digital distortion for guitar just a touch of that worked great for this and also got extremely close.

But the Mad Organ preset will get you 98% there on its own.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep, heard the sound example on SynthMania (the site that keeps on giving, thanks Paolo!). It really is that exact preset - thanks!

However I don't really feel like buying a U220 just for that one patch, unfortunately.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have to laugh, this feels like its become post every 1U rack ever made . . . I recognize the Nord modular G2 rack was missing from my first list though . . .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Do any of the old Emu Z-Plane pieces have external ins so you can filter any external gear you want through the Emu filters?
No, only the samplers had external inputs, and even then, they'll only process the samples and not the live input. Since you've recently got into modular land, there's also the Rossum Morpheus. It's still $450, but it gives you pretty much all of the possible Z-Plane filters. Personally I'm not a fan of the Morpheus, but I'm in the minority in that sentiment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper View Post
Have to laugh, this feels like its become post every 1U rack ever made . . . I recognize the Nord modular G2 rack was missing from my first list though . . .
And if I'm being honest... the LAST thing I'd ever do is post a "gem" on a gear forum. 2nd hand gear is crazy overpriced. It doesn't need my help talking the price up anymore than it is. Any "hidden gems" go to my grave with me.

I'd love for statistician to run the numbers on the correlation between eBay prices and these types of threads.

Although I very much agree with the choices in your original post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
No, only the samplers had external inputs, and even then, they'll only process the samples and not the live input. Since you've recently got into modular land, there's also the Rossum Morpheus. It's still $450, but it gives you pretty much all of the possible Z-Plane filters. Personally I'm not a fan of the Morpheus, but I'm in the minority in that sentiment.
If you have an E-MU Ultra sampler with an RFX-32 card, you can do realtime processing thru the filters (along with the effects).
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
And if I'm being honest... the LAST thing I'd ever do is post a "gem" on a gear forum. 2nd hand gear is crazy overpriced. It doesn't need my help talking the price up anymore than it is. Any "hidden gems" go to my grave with me.

I'd love for statistician to run the numbers on the correlation between eBay prices and these types of threads.

Although I very much agree with the choices in your original post.
And it's also a good way to run up the prices of your cheap gear and personal hidden gems. Once people become aware then they can enjoy them, and post positive comments which will then further run up the already crazy prices so you can sell them for top dollar. Of course, that's not the intent we're not here to make $ but to make music. Right? Haha there is no money in music except in gigs and running up the prices on used gear & selling high. Kind of like speculating but it's a hard racket because all the good stuff you dont want to sell. Of course, were just here to provide honest assessment and not drive up prices for poor starving musicians.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
If you have an E-MU Ultra sampler with an RFX-32 card, you can do realtime processing thru the filters (along with the effects).
Oh, cool! I've never had the pleasure of having an RFX card, so thanks for straightening that out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper View Post
Have to laugh, this feels like its become post every 1U rack ever made . . .
Haven't you noticed? That's how every thread on here ends up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
Haven't you noticed? That's how every thread on here ends up.
That's funny I bookmark these threads. I'm totally not looking for a rack synth right now, but if I get there, I'll come back here for a refresher. So it has its use. Not sure how much it helped the OP tho
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There just weren’t THAT many 1-RU synths made, so no wonder that these threads eventually end up reflecting that entire limited list. Some gems to be sure!

I started with the E4 Platinum, then added an Audity 2000 and PK-6 with cards that I’d like to put into the Vintage Keys Pro rack, as I’m not using the PK-6 anymore. But, ultimately, I’ve sort of moved away from the Emu sound for synthesis, preferring all the wonderful renaissance synths. Then NI and Arturia for nicer sample based “ROM” sounds. I always wanted the B3 rack, but getting a new Hammond A3 has completely obliterated that notion.

I also had and sold back the FS1R, which always makes an appearance in these threads. I appreciate its depth and those that can work with it, but I was left completely meh’d.

I also briefly thought I had an Obie M1000, but the eBay seller bailed on the auction after I bought it, I suspect because I led him to believe he wouldn’t get away with dumping a malfunctioning unit on me. This came about because he mentioned having it recently repaired, “upgraded”, etc. But, then, with the addition of an OB 6+6 and black TVSP that M1k or MS2R notion also evaporated.

After I installed my Voyager RME on a stand over the Voyager Select, I’m now looking at 5-RU + rack sizes from the Black Corp offerings to fill that space.

The only 1-RU I’m planning to get soon (and would recommend) is part of the Yamaha Motif-Rack XS EWI4000S PRO PACK from Patchmanmusic.com.

https://www.patchmanmusic.com/akai.html

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hecking heck.

Do you not like the sound of Z Plane filters, or do you not think the modular Morpheus sounds like classic Z Plane, or what?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vermona M.A.R.S. It's only one rack space if you don't include the knob controller module (M.A.R.S. Control) which is 2U rack space. These things must be rare because no one ever talks much about them. I never see them for sale either nor do I see many people having them. It does sound really good though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

believe it or not: E-mu Carnaval

used by Jeff Mills
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Hecking heck.

Do you not like the sound of Z Plane filters, or do you not think the modular Morpheus sounds like classic Z Plane, or what?
The biggest problem is that the module has a billion filters, and a lot of them sound very samey. The two main uses I've found for mine are to use it as a character modeler (keep modulations minimal, and just let the filter color the sound) or to go into the high-resonance models and ping them with a trigger or a noise burst. It makes a good resonator. But for your usual filtering, it's kinda unexciting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

those E-mu filters take over and become more important than the material
they are filtering - if you rely on them in that way. used sensibly they are
useful - but it's more like having a single multi-faceted filter or EQ.

i still have ye olde Emu Orbit V1. ok for bashing around now and then, has
some ok waveforms, and loads of rather useless ones; good design for 1 encoder
and a few buttons, small, solidly built with 1 main stereo out, and the other
2 stereo aux pairs able to act as TRS send/return-to-main mix (or as stereo
inputs to main mix). i painted it matt black because i couldn't stand the gold,
so i'd be unlikely to get a price for it anyway. (maybe someone could now
hack it and change the wave ROM please )

Last edited by whatever17; 3 weeks ago at 04:56 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post
believe it or not: E-mu Carnaval

used by Jeff Mills
Also used by Carl Cox.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
i still have ye olde Emu Orbit V1. ok for bashing around now and then, has some ok waveforms, and loads of rather useless ones; good design for 1 encoder and a few buttons, small, solidly built with 1 main stereo out, and the other 2 stereo aux pairs able to act as TRS send/return-to-main mix (or as stereo inputs to main mix). i painted it matt black because i couldn't stand the gold, so i'd be unlikely to get a price for it anyway. (maybe someone could now hack it and change the wave ROM please )
The Orbit v2 was one of my first synths. Editing on that thing was so tedious, so I mostly used mine as a rompler for sounds that would sit toward the back of the mix. I'd love love love to try an Orbit 3 one day, but they're becoming more expensive and rare by the week it seems.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Orbit v2 was one of my first synths. Editing on that thing was so tedious, so I mostly used mine as a rompler for sounds that would sit toward the back of the mix. I'd love love love to try an Orbit 3 one day, but they're becoming more expensive and rare by the week it seems.
still faster to edit than a JV-1080. that isn't saying much. so now we know
why u do modular.

actually i quite like the encoder trip, the fact that you can chop off the Start of the sample and crossfade. but it has some cheezy hackneyed w/forms.
setting up the midiCC and velocity, whatever,
it's a module you can edit for ages, and then switch of without getting to
where you wanted to go. but it does do the odd thing or two.
i was wondering more about Proteus2000. just bumping up the ROM and
having more filter types. better panel editing than a lot of romplers.
32khz...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nop, guys, I don't think it's the U-20/220 that was used in What Is Love. I rather think it was the Korg 01/W. In fact , I made a video about it a couple olf years ago:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

are the roms in the emu rack's swappable... emu orbit 1 into vintage keys etc?

the outsides look the same , are they just a rom swap and different graphics.. ?
ive seen rom swappers for other boxes and was wondering if it was possible with these too , assuming the roms are around.
ive got both , i think i only used them when i 1st bought them , otherwise theyre sat in the rack gathering dust.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

same sort of sysex structure, definitely, but different parameters, i think.
tempting, with that SIMM sticking out in there. what you want to put vintage keys
in the Orbit? why bother. you can still have a fruitful fiddle with the Orbit, just
as long as you don't use it on its own.
(oops soz, u meant the other way round. ...??)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
are the roms in the emu rack's swappable... emu orbit 1 into vintage keys etc?

the outsides look the same , are they just a rom swap and different graphics.. ?
ive seen rom swappers for other boxes and was wondering if it was possible with these too , assuming the roms are around.
ive got both , i think i only used them when i 1st bought them , otherwise theyre sat in the rack gathering dust.
No, but the 2000-series E-Mu modules were swappable. At one point I had an XL-7 with the Virtuoso ROM's, Composer ROM, and Sounds of ZR. It was a very powerful machine that I made no effort to take advantage of. The shame...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, but the 2000-series E-Mu modules were swappable. At one point I had an XL-7 with the Virtuoso ROM's, Composer ROM, and Sounds of ZR. It was a very powerful machine that I made no effort to take advantage of. The shame...
If we're confessing, I had the Orbit 3* with the two ROMs and the Vintage Pro and XLsomething ROMs. By the time I collected all the bits, I'd found a cheap Integra 7 and then sold them all.

More confessions: almost any Proteus 2000 module is maximum $$$$ parted out. I sold mine (three of them) ROMs first, then rack ears, then empty module. People still pay plenty for the TSCY and Beat Garden ROMs.

* Actually, thinking about it, I didn't - instead, I put all of the ROMs into the Vintage Pro module, because of a weird firmware incompatibility that meant the Orbit 3's early (1.something) OS version wouldn't recognise all of the ROMs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

ive seen hr16's with multi roms that can be switched in / out and various other mods of devices on circuitbenders.co.uk , i just wondered if that type of thing within one box is possible , though it would edge towards modding the devices and presumably copies of the roms .
i appreciate most of these are quite cheap and modding/messing around with roms can be tedious.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
If we're confessing, I had the Orbit 3* with the two ROMs and the Vintage Pro and XLsomething ROMs. By the time I collected all the bits, I'd found a cheap Integra 7 and then sold them all.

More confessions: almost any Proteus 2000 module is maximum $$$$ parted out. I sold mine (three of them) ROMs first, then rack ears, then empty module. People still pay plenty for the TSCY and Beat Garden ROMs.

* Actually, thinking about it, I didn't - instead, I put all of the ROMs into the Vintage Pro module, because of a weird firmware incompatibility that meant the Orbit 3's early (1.something) OS version wouldn't recognise all of the ROMs.
This needs to be in the confession thread, but yeah, I've done the same thing. The Virtuoso ROM's go for more money than a complete Virtuoso 2000 for some reason, and then the empty synth can be sold for another $150. The Orbit 3 stuff I've never even seen in person.

Also feel you on the Integra. I found one cheap, so my Proteus FX and my Virtuoso 2000 went out the door. I think the Virtuoso sounds better the Integra for orchestral stuff, but it's got so many of the classic JV/XV/Fantom sounds in it that it's really hard to not prefer it. I just wish the software side of it were a little more cooperative because editing performances from the front panel sucks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
ive seen hr16's with multi roms that can be switched in / out and various other mods of devices on circuitbenders.co.uk , i just wondered if that type of thing within one box is possible , though it would edge towards modding the devices and presumably copies of the roms .
i appreciate most of these are quite cheap and modding/messing around with roms can be tedious.

have you got a link for HR-16 with ROM switching? i have 8-bit USA ROM but it would be nice to keep the original ROm accessible.

all i can find it this:
https://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/for...p?topic=2247.0

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search