The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO
Old 23rd March 2020
Here for the gear

6 semitones?

Hi,

I just saw that the detune range for Oscillator 2 is just 6 semitones.
Isn´t that 1 semitone too little? 7 semitones for a fifth would make far more sense to me, rather than 6 semitones for a tritone.
Any opinions on that?
Old 23rd March 2020
Gear Head

5 semitones down you will get fifth.
Old 23rd March 2020
Here for the gear

That´s true, but it´s still a weird decision to go with 6 semitones.
I´ll probably never use the 6 semitones up for a dissonant tritone and wish that it would be one more. In most cases, I want a fifth above, not below, so it´s just less intuitive/direct, because you have to use the octave switch then as well in combination.

I´ll buy it anyways, but it´s a shame I think.. would be really nice to just turn the knob fully without looking/fine adjusting and have a perfect fifth above.
Old 24th March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoggyone View Post
U.D.O confirm me it's for april!
thomann says 6th of april... let's see...
Just spoke to Thomann, 6th of April is pretty certain according to them. Only 1 black one left in this batch and the next batch is due mid-June. Hopefully there will be lots of audio and video footage of it in the next few months. I'll try and record some once it arrives.

Last edited by HotCue; 24th March 2020 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 24th March 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCue View Post
Just spoke to Thomann, 6th of April is pretty certain according to them. Only 1 black one left in this batch and the next batch is due mid-June. Hopefully there will be lots of audio and video footage of it in the next few months. I'll try and record some once it arrives.
Congrats yes please share some video and thoughts, on my list at the mo, I just need to hear more.
Old 24th March 2020
Gear Maniac

I've ordered one at MIDI Amsterdam. Just spoke to the owner. He has no idea when it's coming due to COVID-19. Really hope it can still be delivered on time.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCue View Post
Just spoke to Thomann, 6th of April is pretty certain according to them.
Highly unlikely.

Had an email from the UK distributor:

“I thought you were due a little update as to where we are with the Super 6.

We are so so close, but unfortunately the Covid19 virus has thrown a little spanner in the works. The keyboard is in production, packaging, manuals etc are all made. One of the difficulties is air travel and transportation for the team overseeing the manufacturing of the synth. Obviously Germany is on lockdown, so getting to the facility that is building the keyboard is impossible. Until this visit can take place, and the team are happy with what they see, the production cannot be approved.

I will of course keep you updated as to the delivery date, and trust me, this is just as frustrating to us and UDO, as well as yourselves no doubt.”
Old 25th March 2020
Well, fingers crossed for everybody and as mentioned earlier. I am really curious about this synth but rather have quatruple testing if need be before this goes to the shops than it being rushed to the market.
Old 25th March 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

We are going to see a lot of manufacturing delays going forward - I suspect if a product it’s not shipped or in stock, it’s going to be some time before things get anywhere back to normal, we have bigger fish to fry my slutty friends.
I managed to get a pro3 having looked at a uk website everyday for weeks - lucky me, but as stated I suspect we are looking at months not weeks, manufacturing, parts, distribution, shipping-a good time to use what you have and sell on what you no longer gel with.
Keep safe and like everybody in this thread hopefully we will see super 6 in the flesh soon enough, with so many of my friends in small business and the gig economy I’m just as concerned for their financial survival and well being.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

I know we've all got our individual problems to deal with with this nightmare Covid-19 scenario, but you gotta feel for George and his whole team at UDO.

Only weeks away from the launch of the Super-Six after years of development and suddenly a total global shut-down that no-one could possibly have foreseen.

But sadly I don't think UDO's problems will end there. Most musicians I know are freelance, self-employed and work in the gig (literally) economy. This sector is going to be the hardest hit by the downturn and therefore I think the folks in their target market are going to be severely depleted of spare funds to invest in a premium synth like this when all this sh*t is finally over.

I truly hope they can withstand the set-back and bounce back in the late-summer/fall.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Ah this sucks so bad. I was really looking forward to it. I do have the funds set aside. I hope the company I work for will be there long enough for me to justify buying this instrument I'm disappointed, but was certainly expecting it. Really wish UDO all the best as this must be disappointing to them too.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Head

I Just received an email from thomann... pushed to 28/05/20...
?
Old 26th March 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

I really hope that delivery date makes it, but personally I just can’t see it, in the Uk at the moment we are scheduled for a 3 month shut down (but who knows?) - strange times and all that. I feel really sorry for UDO and all us potential buyers but I’m now filing under hopefully sometime late summer, that may move out. Anyway George and the team (assuming your watching the thread) - now is the time for a a number of videos to help us decide, patch creation - the normal sounds we all use, an in depth walkthrough of functions, the preset banks and how they sound, the patches in 6/12 configuration, you get the picture.
Now if ever is the time, if ever to shows us what this beauty can do, adversity into greatness and all that, I’m personally finishing the album I started a year ago, because suddenly I have no physical collaborators, time to think again about our creative processes.
Old 26th March 2020
Here for the gear

New Andertons vid up.
Sounds beautiful to my ears, well played UDO.

Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchoo View Post
New Andertons vid up.

Very strange. I still don't know what to make of this synth.
Sounds nice, but so unclear, unsubstantial, phased and don't know where to use it musically, except with chords and pads.

best regards
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
New Andertons vid up.

High noise floor, wtf?! Broken sound card or the synth?

16:30 is a nice sound, also from 10:0 and 14:10
Such noise floor is inacceptable. The reason I sent an OB6 back.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
Very strange. I still don't know what to make of this synth.
Sounds nice, but so unclear, unsubstantial, phased and don't know where to use it musically, except with chords and pads.

best regards
It has a nice mojo vintage sound for sure, but if its that noisy I have to pass.
Old 26th March 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

Well the worst demo so far imop - sorry and all that, again I can’t think of a single context any of those “sounds” would be useful.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
New Andertons vid up.

Sounds great. Good demo too, showing a different side of the synth from the usual trade show sounds we’ve been hearing so far.

Very noisy recording like some others were saying however... must have been a problem with their recording chain, I can’t believe it’s the synth itself.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Why did they play such same-y sounds for most of the video?
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
New Andertons vid up.

Mild yawn.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Well the worst demo so far imop - sorry and all that, again I can’t think of a single context any of those “sounds” would be useful.
Sounds very thick and heavy, probably not easy to fit in the mix.
Old 26th March 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Indeed, very uninspiring. they seem high or something, grinning that stupidly and doing hardly anything.
The sound output is recorded at least 6db to low , which partly explains the high noisefloor.

What does concern me is the clicking when engaging for example the delay circuit. That's not improving useabillity.

I wish they'd hire some people with actual synthesis experience instead of these guys who are supposed to represent the average kid interested in synths.

Anyone still complaining about george's demonstration skills? lol
Old 26th March 2020
M32
Lives for gear

btw, UDO if you're listening, get this thing to someone like Nick from sonicstate, Lopopop or Daniel Fisher, stat!
Old 26th March 2020
Gear Maniac

None of the other videos had noise in them. One video has noise in it and people are suspecting this to be a noisy synth.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mend View Post
None of the other videos had noise in them. One video has noise in it and people are suspecting this to be a noisy synth.
Well, imagine the showroom model to have no noise at all, and others to have higher noise floor due to component variations. If the boss is touring around with the golden device, that is no prove. Look at the Peak and its high noise floor for certain batches. I am convinced as soon as playing it myself.

And notice how the noise changes when engaging the chorus or delay, I don't know.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
No? How about an indie band like Tame Impala. They use such synth sounds all the time.
Old 26th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
No? How about an indie band like Tame Impala. They use such synth sounds all the time.
Kevin Parker would probably program better patches than what was showcased here, but still... maybe in the context of a fully produced track yes, some of those aftertouch-oriented patches might be ok. Nevertheless, this is still a really bad demo, and I find my interest in the Super-6 dwindling whenever I hear more.

Will still reserve my final judgment until I see a demo from Nick Batt, Daniel Fisher or Loopop, as M32 says. Otherwise, the only way for me to determine if it's really for me would be to order one (there's no shops in my area that are likely to ever have one to try) and then ship it back if it turns out it's as uninspiring as many of these demos indicate. Would be a shame, because I was really enthusiastic about the Super 6 when it was first introduced, but I'm starting to think it's one of those things I can probably safely live without :(
Old 26th March 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

I’m amazed that UDO “sanctioned” that demo, I would have thought for a start up That they would be there and ensure the folks playing are getting the best from the synth, whilst ⎌some may have liked it, i suspect the majority will be very unmoved.
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

Nice SSM filters though. I'm not so sure the wide Binaural thing on almost every patch is a good thing, I didn't like that on the Evolver. Nice interface. Four octaves and expensive so I don't think I'd go for it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search