SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO
Old 4 weeks ago
The only question I have left is, "Where do I send my money?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
The only question I have left is, "Where do I send my money?"
Please send to Sean Dockery, Boise, Idaho...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

a real synth for men..

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
a real synth for men..

Oh god no, worst vintage analog monosynth. There is a reason you can find them cheaper than the Bass Station 2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
From the vids I’ve seen (all of them?), the UI design seems very deliberate. I’m sure they fought the “add just one more button” temptation quite often.

Having said that, and jumping off the idea of using Shift mentioned above, if they had an extra LED color on Bank that could indicate that you’ve selected a “shifted bank”, then you would not have to add an additional button, you could just use the same buttons with altered status.

Edit: sent them an email with that idea.

Also, notice the bank buttons don’t have an identified Shift function from the graphics.
It's not memory issue. It is design issue, as you said. Without names, you will be forced to use some librarian for patch management, anyway. And with modulation buried in engine, accessible only from computer - it strengthens the need to use computer.

And if you want to push new concept, please, consider suggesting binary, so every switch is one bit position. You will get 256 presets with every key being like shift key with current design. :D

And if they have to push some design changes, better suggest them use of two LED switches, like Kijimi uses. It will give us 65k presets in same button placement, and will double resolution for mod amount indication - win win! Memory is cheap these days. ;]
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
if you drop the 2nd Oscillator into LFO mode you then get a sub oscillator as the sound source instead.
I was under impression, that it is controlled with the switch that lets you select normal (unlabelled), "sub osc" or "audio in". Therefor sub would be only one of three modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
I'm not sure how the PWM works... it appears that it is a global setting for BOTH oscillators?
I bet PWM is only for DDS2, as only there you can find "pulse" (vide: "square" for DDS1 vs "square (...) and pulse waveforms" for DDS2)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I was almost 100% on my next synth purcHase being an OB6 ... now I’m not so sure
Old 4 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

The moment I heard and saw it my wallet started to worry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FYI via email UDO shared that they are considering a way to expand the Super 6 to 128 storage locations:

Quote:
We plan to add a 'cheat' similar to what you say to add a second batch of 64 patches. Still thinking about the nicest way to do this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I think only professional sound designers may need more than 64 patches but it is a very bizarre limitation... cost cutting on a few kb of memory???
It is a design addition to have an immediate and screen free interface
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
...add a second batch of 64 patches. Still thinking about the nicest way to do this.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
FYI via email UDO shared that they are considering a way to expand the Super 6 to 128 storage locations:
1 button extra is all we need.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
to keep things simple and yet extend the patch storage, you could do what some other gear of old did -- hold down 2 Bank buttons and then press a patch number.

So hold A and B and then press 1-8 giving you another 8 locations and you can extend that to any 2 letter combination you can reach with one hand and still be quick. if the Bank LEDs flash while saving/selecting, you'd still have a visual indication you're in an extended bank.
à la OBXa - yep - simple.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Im kinda surprised there is no SD card on this sorta expensive thing as that would enable millions of patches
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Giving something Presets and limiting that to 64 of them, in 2019, is absurd.

1984 called and wants its feature back.

999 Minimum, guys. Geez, why is this not sorted.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Non-conformists have been terrifying the insecure since the dawn of time.

I’m of the “if you like the sound of it, play it proudly” school of thought, with side helping of curiosity about what makes everything tick.
Way to be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Giving something Presets and limiting that to 64 of them, in 2019, is absurd.

1984 called and wants its feature back.

999 Minimum, guys. Geez, why is this not sorted.
Agreed, strongly limits the usability.
I don't want to deal with computers all the time.
Can only mean that the developers are no music equipment users.

Cannot image why its hard to include the aforementioned sd card slot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Agreed, strongly limits the usability.
I don't want to deal with computers all the time.
Can only mean that the developers are no music equipment users.

Cannot image why its hard to include the aforementioned sd card slot.
SD slot is easy. Adding the extra UI to select and save patches/banks is hard if the hw is already designed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

I think it has a usb slot on the back so there's your storage but I still want more onboard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
I think it has a usb slot on the back so there's your storage but I still want more onboard.
If it is a USB slave, you can only save to PC with some stupid app.
**** how much I hate this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

There does seem to be a slight confusion of intent. On the one hand, we have an interface that seems, as others have said, to be immediate, hands-on, screen-free, etc., as if the designers wanted to keep the user interaction really straightforward. But then the number of on-board patches is so small that most will have to use a computer to wrangle them. And then there are apparently deeper modulations not readily accessed from the front panel that will, again, tie it to a computer.

So is the idea to make an instantly-intuitive, hands-on synth like a modern Jupiter 8...or a next-generation Virus TI where you end up doing a lot of the programming with a software editor? As details emerge, it's starting to sound strangely split between those approaches.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
So is the idea to make an instantly-intuitive, hands-on synth like a modern Jupiter 8...or
I hope it's this, I really appreciate the simplicity. If the specs had come out and said 128 patches, people would still complain, "Why not 256?"
How many possible patches is anyone going to remember if you can't name them? And would you rather write them down on a sheet of paper? And if you're doing a live show, honestly do you really switch through more that 64 patches on a poly? I'm sure for some the answer is "yes", but if so then you likely have other synths too that can cover that territory.
Old 4 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
There does seem to be a slight confusion of intent. On the one hand, we have an interface that seems, as others have said, to be immediate, hands-on, screen-free, etc., as if the designers wanted to keep the user interaction really straightforward. But then the number of on-board patches is so small that most will have to use a computer to wrangle them. And then there are apparently deeper modulations not readily accessed from the front panel that will, again, tie it to a computer.

So is the idea to make an instantly-intuitive, hands-on synth like a modern Jupiter 8...or a next-generation Virus TI where you end up doing a lot of the programming with a software editor? As details emerge, it's starting to sound strangely split between those approaches.
my guess is an editor will appear or the interface will be way more intuitive and well designed than we are seeing.

We need to use a synth really to know its failings and its merits

From where i am sitting i think the emphasis is on an intuitive Very good sounding poly synth but with novel ways to stack to voices and unusual spatial control of 2 voices and what they have done is extend the basic synth engine with some really interesting deep functions , maybe as a precursor to a larger synth but i think what they are trying to do is create a new intuitive amazing sounding synth but that has deeper levels for tweakers , in truth not that many people are deep synthesis heads , many want the basic level.

I think this is designed to appeal to both

The patch memory is limited , i personally create 1000's at a time for synths with Sounddiver etc as i then have a lot of instant recall in sessions but at the same time i use a lot of synths with no memory and no problem .

I think some of this is you have to accept designers have certain bents and embrace them or just buy something else , every synth and sampler i own has failings , missing features , relative to my ideal , it does not stop me using them for their strengths and my own angle with instruments is to focus on those strengths and the sonic aspect and what that instrument brings sonically no other synth can , but as people are saying when you spending 2k etc you demand more , the 1000 patch memories and so on , sd car preset storage , in a way these things would round of what looks like a very slick machine very nicely

Last edited by Ksp; 4 weeks ago at 03:17 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Is it just me or did they dial down the amount that the keys stick out?
Those who do not learn from the ARP Quadra are doomed to repeat it.

What exactly is saved by making 'm stick out vs what it'll cost when it falls or bumps into something? That centimeter of steel won't make a significant difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope it's this, I really appreciate the simplicity. If the specs had come out and said 128 patches, people would still complain, "Why not 256?"
How many possible patches is anyone going to remember if you can't name them? And would you rather write them down on a sheet of paper? And if you're doing a live show, honestly do you really switch through more that 64 patches on a poly? I'm sure for some the answer is "yes", but if so then you likely have other synths too that can cover that territory.
Its just silly to provide 64, nothing to argue about, reminds me of Nord Lead 2: 40 patches without card, and Nordlead is even better because you actually can use a card. OB6 has 1024 patches of which you can program 512. This is about the amount you can actually remember, at least I can. If there is a hierarchical structure you can group patches the way you want without having to name any preset, either based on sound category or whatever you like (bank1 for leads, bank2 for basses, etc). Many will just remember patch numbers. Also fast to access.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
SD slot is easy. Adding the extra UI to select and save patches/banks is hard if the hw is already designed.
Yes... would not exactly be intuitive to make use of the SD card without a screen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Makes sense to me...

I don't expect to frequently use the computer to store patches... 64 patches is enough for me in any given timeframe. From those I will be able to quickly dial in whatever I want. Maybe 32 of those patches will be templates and 32 my favorite signature sounds of the present.

Once in a while I would want to save some sounds and an iOS app would work great. It is not like this synth is complex synth with hundreds of parameters and it will be hard to duplicate sounds.

Every synth has its focus and strengths and weaknesses. The focus of this synth is immediacy and intuitive hands on operation. It also provides some options to go deeper but that does not seem to be its main purpose or intended to be something done constantly. If you are wanting to do lots of deep programming, get a different synth... maybe a Waldorf Quantum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
64 would be about the limit of what I can intuitively make use of without naming them. Works for me... but I can understand people wanting more.

On a fairly simple architecture like this synth, I can recreate a sound from a template in about the same time as it would take to hunt through a few thousand presets to find a particular sound I remember.
Old 4 weeks ago
Maybe just add a small bank select switch. 4 Banks of 64 would be good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 View Post
Maybe just add a small bank select switch. 4 Banks of 64 would be good.
You could also just press and hold one of the eight existing bank switches and press a second one. The original eight banks plus all possible combinations of two bank switches would give you 288 unique locations. You’d also have a natural hierarchy where 64 are easy to access, and the next 224 take a little more work.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search