The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO
Old 21st May 2019
  #631
Lives for gear
 
seamonkey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
There is nothing wrong with plastic shafted pots or them not being panel bolted.

Such typical GS nitpicking. Micromoog, Memorymoog, MG1 etc. all have plastic non bolted pots...
Do you really believe the quality used in these plastic parts is the same it was 40 years ago? and each of your examples were made by Moog which had a very good reputation for quality..
Old 21st May 2019
  #632
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Do you really believe the quality used in these plastic parts is the same it was 40 years ago? and each of your examples were made by Moog which had a very good reputation for quality..
I was surprised to find these on my Prodigy when I got it.

The point is, they should not be using wobbly pots or pots that can easily end up wobbly on expensive synths. Cheap synths and gear then yes, fair enough.

UDO and companies like Vermona get this.
Old 21st May 2019
  #633
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
I really liked the idea of this until I saw the 4 octave keyboard. I passed on the OB6 for the same reason, so it looks very much like a Summit will be my next purchase.
I would rather have a synth that I love with 4 octaves than one that I like with 5 octaves. But maybe you just prefer the Summit?
Old 21st May 2019
  #634
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter4 View Post
I would rather have a synth that I love with 4 octaves than one that I like with 5 octaves. But maybe you just prefer the Summit?
Its a Gearslutz thing. Every synth must have 5 octaves, poly aftertouch, MPE and be 16-part multitimbral, and have full CV control, but no presets.
Old 21st May 2019
  #635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Its a Gearslutz thing. Every synth must have 5 octaves, poly aftertouch, MPE and be 16-part multitimbral, and have full CV control, but no presets.



nice summary of current GS tidings.



kidding aside, i agree with the @ Jupiter4 above.

i'm not that stuck on 5 oct on polyphonics anymore. for me its kinda proportional to polyphony: if a polysynth has less voices, like 4-6 than its kinda one hand, or one synth line instrument for me from the get go, so 4 oct is fine. and i do appreciate the smaller footprint.

if it has classic 8 voices, or more like 12, then having 5 oct is nice, since doing bass and chords, splits with pad and lead etc becomes viable.
Old 21st May 2019
  #636
Lives for gear
 

I think if it's a synth that's a contender for being my master keyboard it should have 5 octaves, idiot-proof octave transpose buttons, and some sort of touch sensitivity tweak settings.

4 octaves - fine on a secondary synth but I wouldn't want to end up with a load of them.

3 octaves, 2 octaves - mono territory. I like monos but I can't house a load of them. The Boog format makes total sense for this.
Old 21st May 2019
  #637
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I was surprised to find these on my Prodigy when I got it.

The point is, they should not be using wobbly pots or pots that can easily end up wobbly on expensive synths. Cheap synths and gear then yes, fair enough.

UDO and companies like Vermona get this.
But wobbly pots don't come from being plastic but not securing them to the panel? And Moog does, so is it plastic pots you hate or not securing it to the panel?
Old 21st May 2019
  #638
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
But wobbly pots don't come from being plastic but not securing them to the panel? And Moog does, so is it plastic pots you hate or not securing it to the panel?
Wobbly pots of any material are unacceptable to me on an expensive synth. They manage to make 15 quid guitar pedals with metal shafted pots fixed to the enclosure.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #639
Gear Head
 

I checked out U.D.O.s instagram, and this looks like close-ups of the internal of the super 6 sliders and pots. Looks «heavy metal rock solid»
Attached Thumbnails
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-cb685b3a-c0d5-4b71-88aa-c19b59d11efe.jpg   SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-4e849284-ecee-4729-9ebe-83cb1d726f4d.jpg   SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-522b5c35-6d7b-47b3-8e73-051685c6f061.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #640
Gear Head
 
kwaping's Avatar
I might join Instagram just to follow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeir View Post
I checked out U.D.O.s instagram, and this looks like close-ups of the internal of the super 6 sliders and pots. Looks «heavy metal rock solid»
Old 4 weeks ago
  #641
Gear Head
 
Cocktails's Avatar
 

The Super 6 seems to have a lot of flexibility. To me the character is is more sizzle and hi-fi.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #642
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter4 View Post
I would rather have a synth that I love with 4 octaves than one that I like with 5 octaves. But maybe you just prefer the Summit?
It's hard to say whether I'd prefer the Summit or the UDO if they both had 5 octave keyboards, because we haven't really heard much of what the UDO can do yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #643
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
It's hard to say whether I'd prefer the Summit or the UDO if they both had 5 octave keyboards, because we haven't really heard much of what the UDO can do yet.
For me; I have heard enough from the UDO to know that I have heard enough to buy it. I listen to the demos all day long and they are just beautiful. If the end product is as good as the prototype and then some it is more than good enough for me. And the form factor makes me want to give it a hug
I also like the matriarch a lot, so if I could buy two this year it would have been them.
If I hade to pick one today it would be the UDO. And I would even be willing to sell my OB6 for it just to change the playground. I don't know what Sequential is up to, though
Old 4 weeks ago
  #644
Pip
Lives for gear
 
Pip's Avatar
I heard/seen enough to convince me I will own one. I really like the form factor, let’s hope they are on target for autumn.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #645
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Does anyone know how they will be selling them..? direct from them or will they have worldwide distributors..? I prefer the former tbh.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #646
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Wobbly pots of any material are unacceptable to me on an expensive synth. They manage to make 15 quid guitar pedals with metal shafted pots fixed to the enclosure.
You can think that.. but the fact is pots with a little give to them are over all in the market more reliable, and allot of the best pots you can get are not fixed to the panel with a washer and screw.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #647
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Does anyone know how they will be selling them..? direct from them or will they have worldwide distributors..? I prefer the former tbh.
Buying direct from a manufacturer is generally a bad idea - check what the deal is with returns. A large shop will usually replace or refund quickly whereas dealing with manufacturers direct has been known to take forever.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #648
Here for the gear
 

Does anyone know they will release Super 6-Desktop?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #649
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Buying direct from a manufacturer is generally a bad idea - check what the deal is with returns. A large shop will usually replace or refund quickly whereas dealing with manufacturers direct has been known to take forever.
Had no problems dealing with Novation UK when I bought from them direct and then returned an item. No hassles at all, actually. Of course, that's just one company so it doesn't represent the span of the market, I appreciate that. Just saying that there are "good ones" out there.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #650
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulin View Post
Does anyone know they will release Super 6-Desktop?
I'm guessing the left-side of never judging by George's reasons for creating the synth in the first-place - i.e., a synth that is very hands-on whilst you play.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #651
Lives for gear
 

I just hope that U.D.O. will recognize this synth is too good to not allow more people to have one, and make it cheaper.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #652
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I just hope that U.D.O. will recognize this synth is too good to not allow more people to have one, and make it cheaper.
Hell no. Keep it expensive so it seems more "special". That's what I say.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #653
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulin View Post
Does anyone know they will release Super 6-Desktop?
I would say a 5 octave Super 12 is more likely to happen first....but if there is enough demand, you never know.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #654
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I would say a 5 octave Super 12 is more likely to happen first....but if there is enough demand, you never know.
If you look at George's past history I'd say that's unlikely, and as he said so himself in the Sonic State YouTube interview, he generally likes to start from scratch each time he creates a new synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #655
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
If you look at George's past history I'd say that's unlikely, and as he said so himself in the Sonic State YouTube interview, he generally likes to start from scratch each time he creates a new synth.
Hopefully this isn't his Magnum Opus then.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #656
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Hopefully this isn't his Magnum Opus then.
I doubt it. He looks to be around 6 years old.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #657
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
I doubt it. He looks to be around 6 years old.
I guess I am 4 then. Xl
Old 4 weeks ago
  #658
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
If you look at George's past history I'd say that's unlikely, and as he said so himself in the Sonic State YouTube interview, he generally likes to start from scratch each time he creates a new synth.
I don't think they'll make one either, because the control layout is based around the four octave keyboard. As I've stated previously, four octaves on a poly doesn't suit me, but I sincerely hope that UDO have a lot of success with the Super 6, because it's obviously a superb instrument in all other respects.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #659
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Does anyone know how they will be selling them..? direct from them or will they have worldwide distributors..? I prefer the former tbh.
They are using a distributor.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #660
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
I don't think they'll make one either, because the control layout is based around the four octave keyboard. As I've stated previously, four octaves on a poly doesn't suit me, but I sincerely hope that UDO have a lot of success with the Super 6, because it's obviously a superb instrument in all other respects.
I understand that some people do not like 4 octaves. But I find four octaves just as limiting as five. Frankly I need 73 keys to get full benefit on a poly synth with 6 or more voices. But given that almost no synths exist any more with 73 keys am happy to save space and have four octaves; but only if it’s an awesome synth which in this case it will be.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jupiter8 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
2
Rufuss Sewell / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
12
iksrazal / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
16
Beardhead / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump