The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Pop-quiz:
would you trade a Prophet 6 for this?
This fulfils the same promise as the P6, with a sound that is immediately more appealing to me, so yes. However I chose an OB-6 because it had greater appeal to me despite being less flexible than the P6, so currently believe I will be holding onto the OB-6 because it’s different enough.

My god though, I’m drooling at the thought of pad washes from the Super 6 and OB-6 layered together. It’s going to be techno heaven.

The closest comparison I have to the Super 6 sound is Sylenth, which is to say it sounds like archetypal polysynth wish fulfilment.

Regarding the Moog One, I couldn’t have been more disappointed/relieved by the sound of that! I look for airy lushness from a poly, of which the Moog One has precisely none to my ears.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Surprised? The Monotron does too.
Monotron sampled into iPhone mic, ancient russian tracker.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Monotron sampled into iPhone mic, ancient russian tracker.

You lost me at Apple product.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Exactly what I thought. Have owned my J6 since new - when I heard the demos I immediately recognized the similarity.

Very cool, especially with the stereo filters.
Well, I still have the jp6 .. and think of the udo rather to a jp8000 in supersaw rave mode
from the design a clear plagiarism
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
You lost me at Apple product.
Ah, more of a Blackberry guy?

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Ah, more of a Blackberry guy?

Android for phone and Microsoft for computer for me.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Pop-quiz:
No, unless they add a similar polymod section and polyphonic aftertouch support. I lean on those a lot. Distortion too, though I imagine I could just use my Analog Heat for that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
I hope UDO can provide better after-purchase support than MFB does.
To achieve this feat, all they would need to do is reply to emails.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
To achieve this feat, all they would need to do is reply to emails.
Great customer service is the best way to win repeat customers. More companies need to learn this.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Maybe my ears are bad, but in all demos I hear the same “chorus-y” effect over the sounds played. It kind of is impressive at first (like a Juno chorus) but gets annoying when you start noticing. Am I missing something?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Maybe my ears are bad, but in all demos I hear the same “chorus-y” effect over the sounds played. It kind of is impressive at first (like a Juno chorus) but gets annoying when you start noticing. Am I missing something?
Nope.

I think it's nicer than the Juno chorus sound though.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post

Wut? I’m not sure how you could say that the 6s don’t have at least the same level of hands on interface fun. I can’t for the life of me think of how they could have made them better. (Such an improvement on the 5’s confusing polymod section)

Woah there, partner. That’s not very GearSlutty of you!

Seriously though, I’ve never owned a Nord Wave, but as a Pro 2 lover, I’d suggest that you may miss it for its extensive feature list. I appreciate a simple and beautiful sounding synth as much as anyone, but I know that if I didn’t have all of the wonderful goodies that the Pro 2 offers, I’d be looking to buy one as fast as I can. The glorious things you can do with FM and tuned feedback are pure evil that the Super 6 is never going to approximate.
Maybe my point about the S6 being more immediate than the P6 was a bit tenuous but the presets on the S6 will be more immediate, the modulation and effects easier to work with than on the P6 and the modulation controls for the bender are better. Not a huge difference but it is still a difference that will inspire some people a bit more.

That I will sell my Pro2 is nothing about how deep and amazing it is. It’s all about immediacy. Some of my synths and keyboards are slowing me down. I improvise everything so everything needs to be simple, fast, no menus etc, which is also why I record to an RC505 and Tascam 234 Syncassette. I appreciated the thought though.

Last edited by Jupiter4; 5 days ago at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Forgot the bender mod functionality
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Blue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
Probably built like a tank. Quality build reminds me of another synthesizer Vermona 14

I have the Vermona 14 and it will look great alongside the Super 6. I think that these two synths are very similar. Small companies, very focused product, different take on things, very high quality, some people concerned about price. Both to me are really special. A serious long term proposition.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Pop-quiz:
I chose a Vermona 14 over an OB6 because it sounded better (to me). I would also chose the Super 6 over the P6 even at the same price. All depends what you are into.

The huge benefit of the S6 over the P6 apart from sound is that it has sliders so you can manipulate it more easily; especially multiple simultaneous parameters. Also the mod section for the bender is better specified. Lastly it was two LFOs. Really easy decision for me.

Will trade in my Pro2 for this as previously stated.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
Well, I still have the jp6 .. and think of the udo rather to a jp8000 in supersaw rave mode
from the design a clear plagiarism
I had a JP8000 (and 8080) and it never sounded this good, even drenched in FX.

In fact that 1999 era supersaw which made into the charts absolutely killed trance for me. Those squeaky clean arpeggiated riffs with wafer thin filter sweeps supposed to elicit euphoria. Shudder.

It was so obvious then as it is now that the JP8000 was trading on its older brothers’ and cousins’ sound, likely the JP6 & 8 and Junos.

History believes the JP8000 was key to that uplifting vibe, but it was the Virus that really delivered on the sound everyone wanted back then - the JP8000 just had better marketing and shop floor presence.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
I prefer the design of the UDO in any aspect, it's like a vintage Roland in blue, looks solid and pretty. When I think of DSI synths I immediately remember the wobbly knobs, have a cheap feel. Sliders are sexy.
Weird.You must be talking about really old DSI synths that I haven’t played like the Mopho or something..The knobs on my OB-6, Pro 2 and (when I had it) P 6 are rock solid. They have a nice, even resistance and no hint of wobble. They feel like what I expect on a well made, premium instrument.

I’d be happy with the controls on the Super 6 if they feel as good as a Sequential. They could go a step further by attaching pots and sliders directly to the faceplate, but that can weaken solder joints unless the controls are hand wired to the PCB’s, which is tough to imagine at this price point.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, unless they add a similar polymod section and polyphonic aftertouch support.
From looking at the close-up photo of the 16 “bank/patch” buttons there seems to be a selection of mod stuff. Looks like Source on the white buttons and destination on the right...

It’s not clear whether you can have more than one destination per source though - and with perhaps different values... but that’d be most excellent if you could.

Sources:
DDS 2
LFO 2
ENV 1
Velocity
Aftertouch
Pedal/CV
Pitch-bend -
Pitch-bend +

Destinations:
LFO 1
X-mod
Env 2 Decay
Env 1 Release
Resonance
Delay Time
Delay Feedback
LFO 1 phase (I think)

Interestingly, cutoff isn’t a destination.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
Weird.You must be talking about really old DSI synths that I haven’t played like the Mopho or something..The knobs on my OB-6, Pro 2 and (when I had it) P 6 are rock solid. They have a nice, even resistance and no hint of wobble. They feel like what I expect on a well made, premium instrument.

I’d be happy with the controls on the Super 6 if they feel as good as a Sequential. They could go a step further by attaching pots and sliders directly to the faceplate, but that can weaken solder joints unless the controls are hand wired to the PCB’s, which is tough to imagine at this price point.
Maybe. But I saw some showroom units after rude use in a shop, and they all had a problem, a P12, a P6 and an OB6. If you use them gently things are fine, but their stage abilities are at least questionable.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I haven't worked out if this is for me or not yet. I see a great demo and then I see another one and I think it sounds a little like my Nord Lead, albeit more powerful. I'll have to wait for more info to emerge.

I watched a couple of Prophet 6 demos too... that one has a lovely velvety warmth for great pads. It sounds more analog.

I'm probably in the minority but I do prefer knobs to sliders and the sticking out keys is not a plus point.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Jeez Louise, this thing is about a thousand times cooler than the Prophet 6 and OB-6. The almost purposely limited modulation possibilities just to make those synths more retro massively bums me out. If the lfos and envelopes were analog, ok, but they're not so there's no reason not to give us the mod matrix you've been able to get in Dave Smith synths ever since the Evolver.
Here we have the possiblity to make the LFO and the envelope, which have totally different sonic characteristics than the oscillators (which are freaking insane, you can tell already) track, and function as oscillators, and that's just for starters.
And the basic tone is simply there.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
Jeez Louise, this thing is about a thousand times cooler than the Prophet 6 and OB-6. The almost purposely limited modulation possibilities just to make those synths more retro massively bums me out. If the lfos and envelopes were analog, ok, but they're not so there's no reason not to give us the mod matrix you've been able to get in Dave Smith synths ever since the Evolver.
The design idea though is to reduce the complexity to work faster but have enough to create something interesting. My Pro2 is deep but slow to work with. Sequential synths exist for those who want a different flavour and approach. Wouldn't it be boring if all of the synths had the same features? Just because it is possible it doesn't mean that it should be done. OP1 users say that it has deliberate limitations to inspire creative thinking. It seems that the design is done but if they go down the Sequential route then count me out.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Maybe. But I saw some showroom units after rude use in a shop, and they all had a problem, a P12, a P6 and an OB6. If you use them gently things are fine, but their stage abilities are at least questionable.
Considering the unspeakable abuse instruments are subjected to in a shop (especially well-known brands like Sequential), I don’t doubt your story. But I see a nearly endless number of DSI/Sequential synths on stage these days and they seem to be popular with new and established artists alike. So all I can say is that an awful lot of touring musicians disagree with you and don’t find a Sequential’s stage abilities “questionable” in the least.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
From looking at the close-up photo of the 16 “bank/patch” buttons there seems to be a selection of mod stuff. Looks like Source on the white buttons and destination on the right...

It’s not clear whether you can have more than one destination per source though - and with perhaps different values... but that’d be most excellent if you could.
George talked about “three levels” of modulation routing in a couple videos and I think the third (most complex) level could route a source to multiple destinations. It was something like, you hold down a source button and then move the controls of the destinations you want to modulate. The upside is flexibility, the downside is that you can’t see which mappings are in effect.

Unfortunately I can’t remember which video went into the most detail. I’ve literally watched all of them and now they’re like one long, slightly repetitive miniseries in my mind.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
George talked about “three levels” of modulation routing in a couple videos and I think the third (most complex) level could route a source to multiple destinations. It was something like, you hold down a source button and then move the controls of the destinations you want to modulate. The upside is flexibility, the downside is that you can’t see which mappings are in effect.
Ah, that’s pretty cool. Certainly plenty of modulation possibilities though. It’s a very sneaky synth... looks very simple without a screen etc but in actuality it’s very well spec’d and modern.

At least, so it seems. Time will tell of course.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hmm... no cutoff destination. I guess that means you’d have to use the “3rd”, confusing mid assignment method George mentioned. The one where there is no visual feedback. Press and hold mod source and then hand tweak the knob/slider destination.

Quote:

Old 4 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I think the most basic modulation like cutoff have dedicated switches on the front, doesn't the filter section have a switch to choose what is controlling it? I'm sure it has something similar.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
I think the most basic modulation like cutoff have dedicated switches on the front, doesn't the filter section have a switch to choose what is controlling it? I'm sure it has something similar.
Yes, you're right. It has sliders for Env, LFO and DDS 2 amounts. Also, aftertouch can be assigned to the cutoff from the left-hand panel.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

Sources:
DDS 2
LFO 2
ENV 1
Velocity
Aftertouch
Pedal/CV
Pitch-bend -
Pitch-bend +

Destinations:
LFO 1
X-mod
Env 2 Decay
Env 1 Release
Resonance
Delay Time
Delay Feedback
LFO 1 phase (I think)

Yeah, my guess is they’re leaving off aftertouch, and to not have filer cutoff as a destination is, IMO, a serious mistake. I guess as this is still a prototype, one can hope, but for me those two things are important and will keep my Prophet 6 safe and sound. I guess you’ll have to buy it and I’ll just live vicariously through you.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess you’ll have to buy it and I’ll just live vicariously through you.
Well in which case I'll return the favour and live vicariously through you and your 002!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search