The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
i have been in out of this thread and was for a time very intertested in the S6, lack of screen etc made me bail, but loading custom tables, selecting patches etc all, if users are struggling to select patches
It's really easy to select patches, not sure why the struggle. The great thing is also that whatever thing you're doing with the synth, it stays in RAM. So even if you change patches, as long as you don't move any sliders, your previous patch is in memory. So you press the patch number you are focus on again, and it will go back to your (let's call it RAM patch), and you can still decide where to save it. I think this was thought as a patch comparison feature, but the fact that stays in RAM even when you move on to a different patch, or even a different bank is amazing!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My "on"-button on the arp sometimes does not engage or disengage when pressing it. Am I missing something or might this be an actual hardware problem?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It seems to not engage when receiving midi input. Ok no actual hardware problem
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
It seems like anyone who has used older synths has already used a similar patch selection method. Looks very intuitive to me.

I am half expecting someone to post "the learning curve from iOS 14 is a deal-breaker" ..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

btw, sonicstate will be posting a review very soon. interested to see nick batt use it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Looks like there is a black one in CL Los Angeles.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
https://youtu.be/MeGMeXsE9h8

Anyone know how to best replicate this amazing sound at 3:31?
Been trying for a while now! Would love to get a pic of the patch if anyone feels up for recreating it~
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalik View Post
My Black Super 6 arrived yesterday!!! 3 day shipping from London to Los Angeles. Insane.

It's the best synth I've ever had, period. I didn't sleep much :p
Here's some stuff I recorded last night, tweaking some presets to get to know the synth, sequenced in Logic:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uj3v0shu8...1dXxsdMDa?dl=0
Considering the list of gear you have that's quite a strong statement, especially next to Sequential and Novation stuff. What makes it so special?
I've been thinking about getting the Peak again, or a Summit - S6 seems like a more luxurious version of those to me, given they all use FPGA...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FPGA is like a blank canvas, theres no point thinking that synths are going to be similar just because they all use FPGA.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
FPGA is like a blank canvas, theres no point thinking that synths are going to be similar just because they all use FPGA.
They probably inherit some common DNA from the platform. The way the trig functions work for the oscillators, etc. If I had to guess, a library random number generator is likely the starting point for the noise source. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that there are only a handful of companies making FPGA's still, and a hand full of IDE's and languages (such as Verilog HDL) to program them. The compilers I think are unique to each IDE, but again there are only a few of them, and they interpret the code in a pretty similar way.

Of course there are still endless possibilities as to what you code, but I do expect the hardware limitations will steer developers in a certain direction. I'm really curious what algo approach UDO took. I remember George saying that Oscillators 1 and 2 are totally different architecture. I'm assuming the non-wavetable oscillator is trig based (fourier series perhaps? Or dedicated pulse and ramp functions?) From a hardware POV I'm not really sure how a wavetable oscillator would work tbh.

I'm especially impressed with the reverb algorithms on the Peak/Summit. It really showcases the technology, but it must have been a nightmare to program!

I'm pretty new to FPGAs, I've just programmed a few simple things in university labs, so forgive me if I have gotten any of the details wrong.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Wow thanks, that's a very complete explanation
I'm looking to trade in my Matriarch (it's a legend, just not ideal for what I'm making) and so far I've kinda given up on big expansive synths, looking more to combine A4 with Peak. This is probably the one more thing I'll consider
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivviri View Post
Considering the list of gear you have that's quite a strong statement, especially next to Sequential and Novation stuff. What makes it so special?
I've been thinking about getting the Peak again, or a Summit - S6 seems like a more luxurious version of those to me, given they all use FPGA...
I think what sets the Super 6 apart is the combination of three aspects that happen at the same time which are:

1. impressive sound (binaural audio + stereo filters)
2. hands on control on everything (beautiful and powerful panel design)
3. immediate deep sound design (no menu diving, relates to #1 and #2 )

I don't have the Peak anymore, and I liked a lot of things about it, but there's something to it that it's hard to explain that, I don't know if it's the filter, but there's a layer of something in the sound that I don't quite like. It can never sound warm to me. Prophet 6 I would get it back anytime when my finances allow, but Super 6 suits my needs a lot more than those two.

It's also about the experience of using it, the way it was conceived and designed. You have to try it to really understand what I mean by this. Those long travel faders...man there's sweet spots everywhere, every few seconds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalik View Post
I think what sets the Super 6 apart is the combination of three aspects that happen at the same time which are:

1. impressive sound (binaural audio + stereo filters)
2. hands on control on everything (beautiful and powerful panel design)
3. immediate deep sound design (no menu diving, relates to #1 and #2 )

I don't have the Peak anymore, and I liked a lot of things about it, but there's something to it that it's hard to explain that, I don't know if it's the filter, but there's a layer of something in the sound that I don't quite like. It can never sound warm to me. Prophet 6 I would get it back anytime when my finances allow, but Super 6 suits my needs a lot more than those two.

It's also about the experience of using it, the way it was conceived and designed. You have to try it to really understand what I mean by this. Those long travel faders...man there's sweet spots everywhere, every few seconds.
Congrats in being one of the only people in the USA to have one of these puppies! I'm still waiting for my blue Super 6, which I am told is scheduled for late this month, but who knows. I previously owned a Summit and I felt the same way you did. It had a decent sound, but there was just something that didn't quite gel with my ears with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I almost thought of cancelling my S6 order to get the new Prophet 5 or 10, but after all the demos I've heard so far the s6 still has the more unique sound to me.....something slightly different than my all my other great synths.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Congrats in being one of the only people in the USA to have one of these puppies! I'm still waiting for my blue Super 6, which I am told is scheduled for late this month, but who knows. I previously owned a Summit and I felt the same way you did. It had a decent sound, but there was just something that didn't quite gel with my ears with it.
Thank you! I hope you get it soon, it's amazing. Regarding Peak/Summit... I'm not sure what it is, maybe the character of the filter? It's hard to tell. It's not bad in any sense, it's just.. I don't know... there's something that gets in the way and it doesn't sound warm to my ears.

Prophet 5 is for the vintage lover, mono output, remember that...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I'm in the USA and snagged one from the UK dealer. Shipping was a bitch but oh boy was it worth it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I almost thought of cancelling my S6 order to get the new Prophet 5 or 10, but after all the demos I've heard so far the s6 still has the more unique sound to me.....something slightly different than my all my other great synths.
I'm in the fortunate position to both have the udo super 6 and prophet 10 (on order) but I can confidently say that the super 6 is the best synth I've ever owned, and I've owned a few very hefty ones. Don't cancel, I promise you it's worth it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscorbett View Post
They probably inherit some common DNA from the platform. The way the trig functions work for the oscillators, etc. If I had to guess, a library random number generator is likely the starting point for the noise source. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that there are only a handful of companies making FPGA's still, and a hand full of IDE's and languages (such as Verilog HDL) to program them. The compilers I think are unique to each IDE, but again there are only a few of them, and they interpret the code in a pretty similar way.

Of course there are still endless possibilities as to what you code, but I do expect the hardware limitations will steer developers in a certain direction. I'm really curious what algo approach UDO took. I remember George saying that Oscillators 1 and 2 are totally different architecture. I'm assuming the non-wavetable oscillator is trig based (fourier series perhaps? Or dedicated pulse and ramp functions?) From a hardware POV I'm not really sure how a wavetable oscillator would work tbh.

I'm especially impressed with the reverb algorithms on the Peak/Summit. It really showcases the technology, but it must have been a nightmare to program!

I'm pretty new to FPGAs, I've just programmed a few simple things in university labs, so forgive me if I have gotten any of the details wrong.
Please don't make any assumptions for FPGAs. There is no DNA or whatever. I am doing FPGAs for 15 years and for signal processing you can do basically anything you want.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukicho View Post
I'm in the fortunate position to both have the udo super 6 and prophet 10 (on order) but I can confidently say that the super 6 is the best synth I've ever owned, and I've owned a few very hefty ones. Don't cancel, I promise you it's worth it.
I am also very blessed, and currently own an Oberheim OB8, a Korg Trident, a a Baloran The River, a sequential prophet 12 SE, sequential OB6, sequential Pro 3, a Moog subsequent 37, and a Modal electronics 002....soooo a Prophet 5 or 10 would probably be redundant, but the Super 6 definitely would add something a bit unique from what I’m hearing from the demos in my opinion. I guess we’ll see.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I am also very blessed, and currently own an Oberheim OB8, a Korg Trident, a a Baloran The River, a sequential prophet 12 SE, sequential OB6, sequential Pro 3, a Moog subsequent 37, and a Modal electronics 002....soooo a Prophet 5 or 10 would probably be redundant, but the Super 6 definitely would add something a bit unique from what I’m hearing from the demos in my opinion. I guess we’ll see.
That definitely is a very hefty set up! Even then, seeing as george worked at modal, this synth still has something to offer, it really does have a character of it's own and I think, even with you hefty list of instruments, it could be something rather refreshing, something that, yeah, the p5 probably wouldn't get you, not that that isn't an appealing synth for other factors.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Well then. I guess I'll wait for proper reviews but I seriously might replace the Matriarch with the S6. I miss the big poly sound of Peak/Summit, but as a few of you said, there is just something that I miss with its sound. S6 might just hit the sweetspot - that is if the low end ends up being lovely enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm getting quite a bit of noise/hiss when I raise the Master Volume above the 0dB mark.

If I raise the Envelope Level to 4dB, which I'm having to do because a lot of Poly patches are really quiet, I don't get an increase in noise levels.

Even with the Envelope Level set to the max 4dB level, I'm still having to raise the gain in my DAW by 6-12 dB. This gives me cleaner gain increase than raising the Master Volume, but it still raises the noise enough so that it's often audible. Raising the Envelope Level is the only way I'm getting a clean gain increase without noticeably increasing the noise.

Mono mode is loud enough. It's just the Poly modes that are too quiet.

Is anyone else getting a noticeable increase in noise when increasing the Master Volume above 0dB ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
I'm getting quite a bit of noise/hiss when I raise the Master Volume above the 0dB mark.

If I raise the Envelope Level to 4dB, which I'm having to do because a lot of Poly patches are really quiet, I don't get an increase in noise levels.

Even with the Envelope Level set to the max 4dB level, I'm still having to raise the gain in my DAW by 6-12 dB. This gives me cleaner gain increase than raising the Master Volume, but it still raises the noise enough so that it's often audible. Raising the Envelope Level is the only way I'm getting a clean gain increase without noticeably increasing the noise.

Mono mode is loud enough. It's just the Poly modes that are too quiet.

Is anyone else getting a noticeable increase in noise when increasing the Master Volume above 0dB ?
can't say i've noticed noise. But i'm not having to raise the gain in my DAW. it seems loud enough without doing that. It's not as loud as my other synths (DM12, virus, minibrute 2, and others) but it's loud enough.

Have you installed the firmware update? and are you using TS (mono) cables, not TRS?
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Did anybody know the deminsions of the super six?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionblur View Post
Have you installed the firmware update? and are you using TS (mono) cables, not TRS?

Thanks motionblur.

According to the current Firmware I downloaded I'm already on the latest (v0.21). I get A-C-E bank LEDs lit when I power on. I'm also using unbalanced TS cables, not TRS. Tried all combinations of high quality Neutrik/Van Damme TS cables as short as 0.5 metres in length.

I can't really hear noise with Sennheiser HD 650s plugged directly into the Headphone socket, but I can in my Neumann KH-120s calibrated to 79 dB SPL with -20 dBFS RMS pink noise. I already work with quite low average levels of no more than -14 dBFS. I'm going into a Prism Orpheus with inputs set to -10 dBV.

Factory patch 1 on bank E1 is nice and loud. But patch 1 on bank A1 is fairly quiet. I think it may have something to do with the filter Drive setting? Some Poly patches are definitely much louder than others. With an Init patch and filter Drive set to OFF or 1, Master Volume set to 0dB, I'm getting peaks of about -30.5 dBFS when playing a C major chord from middle C.

I can get more gain by increasing the filter Drive to 2 and and Envelope level to maximum/+4. But using the Master Volume above 0dB to get the quieter Poly patches loud enough seems to increase the noise level rapidly.

Can you hear any noise with the Master Volume set to the maximum +4 dB?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I use -10dBV on my mixer inputs to get proper volume levels. No problem with noise and volume can get quite loud with filter driver and vca turned up.

ed: corrected
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

^ If I set my interfaces inputs to +4 dBu the Super 6 definitely isn't loud enough for most of the Poly patches.

-10 dBV is only just enough for the louder Poly patches.

Looks like I'll need to email UDO...

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
^ If I set my interfaces inputs to +4 dBu the Super 6 definitely isn't loud enough for most of the Poly patches.

-10 dBV is only just enough for the louder Poly patches.
Corrected my post. Inputs are set to -10dBV.
📝 Reply