The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

UDO confirmed - there is only one blue colour. The brighter one is an early render.
Show replies
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
blue
I'd have guessed that too... Grey might be more satisfying long term then (cos you can get bored of seeing the same colour everywhere).
Show replies
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
I'd have guessed that too... Grey might be more satisfying long term then (cos you can get bored of seeing the same colour everywhere).
gray might be good for self-chastisement, looks decent.
But I also think in terms of Ebay and resell value, favoring blue.
Show replies
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear
I dunno - "In rare slate grey" will be the ebay sales pitch in the future (not that I tend to sell things anyway..) But if, by the time I get around to purchasing one, grey is cheaper... I'll end up with grey.
Show replies
Old 1st October 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

Love the blue - but white please
Show replies
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Head
My Black Super 6 arrived yesterday!!! 3 day shipping from London to Los Angeles. Insane.

It's the best synth I've ever had, period. I didn't sleep much :p
Here's some stuff I recorded last night, tweaking some presets to get to know the synth, sequenced in Logic:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uj3v0shu8...1dXxsdMDa?dl=0
Show replies
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalik View Post
My Black Super 6 arrived yesterday!!! 3 day shipping from London to Los Angeles. Insane.

It's the best synth I've ever had, period. I didn't sleep much :p
Here's some stuff I recorded last night, tweaking some presets to get to know the synth, sequenced in Logic:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uj3v0shu8...1dXxsdMDa?dl=0
You used LOGIC effects (reverb, equalizer)? Sounds really nice. Did you use MIX mode for SUPER6_CHORDS_R1 or did you layer the sound?
Show replies
Gear Head

Hi Mentalik and many thanks for posting the sound demos.

Just been listening and clearly lots of variety and complexity are possible. However, seems to be on the colder, more digital side of the spectrum versus warm. Can the Super 6 do warm analog?

Would much appreciate your comments and thanks in advance.
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanlesson View Post
You used LOGIC effects (reverb, equalizer)? Sounds really nice. Did you use MIX mode for SUPER6_CHORDS_R1 or did you layer the sound?
Thank you! There's no Logic effects at all, this is Super 6 only straight into Logic. I didn't even normalize the audio.
"Chords" is not a layered sound, just mixing both oscillators
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by barderc View Post

Just been listening and clearly lots of variety and complexity are possible. However, seems to be on the colder, more digital side of the spectrum versus warm. Can the Super 6 do warm analog?

Well this can be subjective, depending on what you compare it to, but I think it can if you use traditional waves on DDS1. I will record more stuff this weekend focusing on a warmer sound so you can listen to.
Keep in mind, I only played with it for maybe 2 hours top since I got it, as I've been busy with work.
Show replies
Gear Head

Many thanks Mentalik and some “warm-focused” patches/demos would be great.

In terms of comparison, I was listening to the new Prophet 5 demos today - a limited synth in many ways compared with the Super 6, but definitely has warm nailed IMHO.
Show replies
Here for the gear

Interesting, a new prophet 5! I´m too lazy to post warm sounds, but they definetly are there on the super 6. Its a sort of warm while sounding clean, very appealing to me. Warm but super precise at the same time, never heard this kind of sound, or maybe a dx 7 comes close.

I´m finally not lusting for new gear anymore since I have that synth. Actually, I will build a setup around this synth which is going to be sampling the synth a lot.

I´ve got the feeling that the super 6 is going to feel rewarding forever. The sonic possibilities seem endless, and the sound is flawless wherever you are in this sea of sonic possibilities. The character of a sound can change dramatically with only small changes, and you can make these small changes everywhere. Every switch/slider/knob feels very relevant and there are so many of them (it feels like just the right amount) and they can interact in a multitude of ways.

Here is one thing that hopefully will be ironed out in the future: When changing presets, it disengages from the midi sync. You have to press shift and sync again. Not terrible, but improvable.
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grappadura View Post
Interesting, a new prophet 5! I´m too lazy to post warm sounds, but they definetly are there on the super 6. Its a sort of warm while sounding clean, very appealing to me. Warm but super precise at the same time, never heard this kind of sound, or maybe a dx 7 comes close.

I´m finally not lusting for new gear anymore since I have that synth. Actually, I will build a setup around this synth which is going to be sampling the synth a lot.

I´ve got the feeling that the super 6 is going to feel rewarding forever. The sonic possibilities seem endless, and the sound is flawless wherever you are in this sea of sonic possibilities. The character of a sound can change dramatically with only small changes, and you can make these small changes everywhere. Every switch/slider/knob feels very relevant and there are so many of them (it feels like just the right amount) and they can interact in a multitude of ways.

Here is one thing that hopefully will be ironed out in the future: When changing presets, it disengages from the midi sync. You have to press shift and sync again. Not terrible, but improvable.
I agree! This synth is unique, stands out, and all the passion and knowledge behind its concept, shows in every single detail.
Did you notice also when changing a patch there's a weird transitional sound that then turns into the new patch, this happens for a split second on mine.
Show replies
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
That was my next question, if the "black" version was actually gray. Yeah, I'm leaning toward the gray, now that I know it's gray (my favorite color!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Love the blue - but white please
YES! WHITE! (My other favorite color!) If UDO released a white version, I would NOT be able to resist. In pure-white, this would be a piece of modern art.

Man, it's been a tough week for those of us who have sworn not to buy any more synths! First, I was definitely getting a Polybrute. Then, a Prophet-10. I think now, it's pretty assured that if I decide to get a new synth, it'll be the Super-6.
Show replies
Here for the gear

Quote:
I agree! This synth is unique, stands out, and all the passion and knowledge behind its concept, shows in every single detail.
Did you notice also when changing a patch there's a weird transitional sound that then turns into the new patch, this happens for a split second on mine.
Yes, it sounds pretty cool sometimes. I actually prefer this to the other possibility, which would be to mute the tails of the first sound. But it can depend on the situation.
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grappadura View Post
Yes, it sounds pretty cool sometimes. I actually prefer this to the other possibility, which would be to mute the tails of the first sound. But it can depend on the situation.
Oh thanks! Good to know this it's not my unit only
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
That was my next question, if the "black" version was actually gray. Yeah, I'm leaning toward the gray, now that I know it's gray (my favorite color!).

YES! WHITE! (My other favorite color!) If UDO released a white version, I would NOT be able to resist. In pure-white, this would be a piece of modern art.

Man, it's been a tough week for those of us who have sworn not to buy any more synths! First, I was definitely getting a Polybrute. Then, a Prophet-10. I think now, it's pretty assured that if I decide to get a new synth, it'll be the Super-6.
It's definitely a medium gray, that will look lighter or darker depending on lighting conditions. It's absolutely beautiful.
Attaching photos right after taking it out of the box.

It's interesting to read some people think it's ugly. I'm pretty sure those people have no eyes for design at all.
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-img_5278.jpg   SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-img_5277.jpg   SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-img_5279.jpg  
Quote:
It's definitely a medium gray, that will look lighter or darker depending on lighting conditions. It's absolutely beautiful.

It's interesting to read some people think it's ugly. I'm pretty sure those people have no eyes for design at all.
Medium-gray is my OTHER favorite color! I love it in that gray with the reverse-white graphics—thanks for posting. Looks sweet!!! You lucky dog! Oh no . . . oh no . . . it's happening, it's happening again . . .
Show replies
Old 3rd October 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Can the Super 6 do warm analog?

Yes, most definitely. It can sound very analog and warm. I’ll put something together to post within the next week.
Show replies
Old 3rd October 2020
What the hell do I sell to make ROOM for the Super-6????? Unfortunately/fortunately, I really like everything I have. All the premium spots are taken: Prophet-6, OB-6, Prophet-X, Fantom-7, Quantum, Kronos Platinum-88. AHA! The System-8! If the price of having a Super-6 is sacrificing my S8, then, it goes!

UDO Super-6 Super-Sale!

• System-8: $1,000.
• Integra-7: $1,000.
• Moog Little Phatty Stage II: $800.
• SRX boards (four): $600.

Boom! Done!

Future home of the UDO Super-6.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
What the hell do I sell to make ROOM for the Super-6????? Unfortunately/fortunately, I really like everything I have. All the premium spots are taken: Prophet-6, OB-6, Prophet-X, Fantom-7, Quantum, Kronos Platinum-88. AHA! The System-8! If the price of having a Super-6 is sacrificing my S8, then, it goes!

UDO Super-6 Super-Sale!

You might possibly be the sluttiest of us all.
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:

UDO Super-6 Super-Sale!

I like your attitude haha. I sold a few things to get the Super 6. It's my rule, if something comes in, something has to go. You won't regret it, this thing is very special. I don't even want to spoil the unboxing part of it, as it's such a nice experience and product presentation, nobody should spoil that!
Show replies
Gear Head

To buy my blue Super 6, i sold a Waldorf Waveslave and an E-mu Emax Se Hd rack with scsi2sd. And no regrets!
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:

Let's see if this one does it for you. Super 6 only, with a tad of internal delay, but no chorus at all. I started from scratch for this one. DDS1 = sawtooth / DDS2 = pulse:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jujec8sb2...og_r1.mp3?dl=0

And this one as well
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lk6flca45...LA_r2.mp3?dl=0
Show replies
Gear Head

Thanks for these Mentalik and have just pulled the trigger - my Super 6 arrives next week!
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:

pretty strange, mine has white portamento slider cap and white apreggiator tempo knob cap
Show replies
Gear Nut

Mine just arrived on thursday. This is my first hardware synth and I've only been able to fiddle around with the very basics.

Some first impressions:
  • Initially the volume level concerned my but this was resolved by line level switch on my mixer. Compared to, say Analog Rytm, the synth is very gentle.
  • Being accustomed to my Nord Piano the keyboard is very squishy I use my Nord instead to play the Super 6 - which requires me the adjust the synth gain staging little to accomodate lower velocities.
  • Layout and controls are fairly easy to learn and understand, even without reading the manual

To me I find the sound lies somewhere between UHE Zebra and Repro. I'm very fond of the Repro sound so it will be interesting to see what I can get out of Super 6.

Here is my try on using the analog filters. No binaural or chorus used - instead I used an external reverb:
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks for these Mentalik and have just pulled the trigger - my Super 6 arrives next week!
Exciting!
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Ange Punath View Post
pretty strange, mine has white portamento slider cap and white apreggiator tempo knob cap
It seems like yours is true to the original design and mine is not.
Check this out they forgot to add some lines on the DDS 2 panel 🤷‍♂️
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
SUPER 6 - a 12 voice poly by UDO-e339abda-6fce-4624-abb6-5e8dc15e2df1.jpg  
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It seems like yours is true to the original design and mine is not.
Check this out they forgot to add some lines on the DDS 2 panel 🤷‍♂️
same thing on mine
Show replies
📝 Reply