The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pioneer Toraiz SQUID Sequencer
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Pioneer Toraiz SQUID Sequencer

Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Only two CV/Gate output pairs? How quaint.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Addict

Looks nice, in the Cirklon /Pyramid market. An update to the SP16 would be even nicer.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

2 dinsync ports? Now we're talking.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Price seems to be 599. Not that bad tbh. i was expecting more being pioneer, but they have to compete with the other sequencers out there so it seems pretty ok. looking forward to a more relaxed walkthrough of the features, not this hyped up product video
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think I would of preferred the name Octopussy instead of Squid.

Any idea on price.

This could give Squarp Pyramid a bit of a run for its money.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

I'll be fair and admit it looks interesting, but...

Got to be honest, pioneer's lack of communication regarding bugfixes and updates etc for their products makes me hesitant towards buying any new stuff of theirs.

The SP16 could still do with a few minor fixes tbh, particularly on the MIDI sequencing side.

Which makes me wonder how different this device will be.

Will it allow midi input from a keyboard? overlapping polyphonic notes per track?

Basically... the things that should be on the SP16 already but seem less likely to appear now.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Endless encoders & flashing lights.

Kinda seems like we have enough of this crap already.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

The Manual seems somewhat unclear as to whether you can play notes using a MIDI keyboard connected to the MIDI in.

However, P132 of the manual does state that you can set the 'rec channel' to 'set the terminal and the channel receiving MIDI messages'.

It also has note ties, which is something I miss when using the SP16 as a sequencer, as well as a lot of randomisation and play order tricks.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

Any idea on price.

This could give Squarp Pyramid a bit of a run for its money.

Cheers
djtechtools says 599. almost 150 cheaper than the squarp.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hopefully they will port some of the Squid features to the SP16, particularly as its the flagship - it needs some attention!
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think you are dreaming if you think features will be ported over to the sp-16 from the Squid.

The sp 16 was crippled from the start and Pioneer just want you into there paradigm and eco system.

My DJS 1000 which is currently in pawn shop was supossed to supercede the 16 and punters were asking why the sp16 didnt have what was inside the djs1000.

Pioneer just want to get there tentacles into our wallets. Mind you though both Octopi and Squid are very smart cephalopods.

Love a nice slice of carefully fried Calamari.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Pioneer aren’t interested in supporting their production products judging by their track history with the SP-16. I’ll steer clear until at least initial reports / reviews surface.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Pioneer is coming from a different market. Where very rarely there's firmware updates and in most cases it ever adds features, but it's more about compatibility with DJ software etc. SO they are pretty slow in adding features or they might not add them at all. That's why buying something for what it can do on release is the best bet. Waiting or wishing for features makes no sense to me. Great if it happens, but I never hope for it and I rarely jump on a new product right when it's released. Unless it's something analog only, like pedals or similar peripheral gear
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Pioneer Toraiz SQUID Sequencer-distracted-boyfriendmpc.jpg

(not really, but funny. Though it is a bit like this for the purported sequencer tricks. . . something the MPC could have easily offered)

What's with weird gear names these days anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Pioneer Toraiz SQUID Sequencer-distracted-boyfriendmpc.jpg  
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

Lol at the guy in the video above saying 'I'm sure that's something that can be added in a software update'...
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Not as 'powerful' as a Pyramid or an Octatrack, but for most people it looks a better interface and more immediatley playable (note: I own zero of these machines, pitchfork me if you want ) and still plenty deep. Depending on your needs this could really be a great choice for some, definitely feels very much aiming at live performance and manipulation with minimal pre-programming and menu-diving (at least in comparison to Pyramid and OT).
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

All this functionality and I am scanning the video desperately in search of a Song mode
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Pioneer aren’t interested in supporting their production products judging by their track history with the SP-16. I’ll steer clear until at least initial reports / reviews surface.
+1

This company can not be trusted

Move along
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
All this functionality and I am scanning the video desperately in search of a Song mode
Pretty sure there isnt one, I've been reading through the manual to see if it had the arrangement feature of the SP16 etc
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I really hope this means Pioneer DJ will up their game for the Toraiz line. I love the AS1 as a sound module, but gave up on the sequencer long ago due to sync issues. It sounds amazing but as a unit it definitely feels like it was abandoned before all the bugs were worked out.

I recently bought a MPC Live, but actually would have preferred to get a DJS 1000 or SP16 as I do think they sound better than the Live, but with the Live there are constant updates/improvements, and with Pioneer DJ I have no faith that any fixes/improvements will ever come.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Maniac

nice
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Polyphony & tiny arpeggiator sounds good. Price is not bad
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post

(not really, but funny. Though it is a bit like this for the purported sequencer tricks. . . something the MPC could have easily offered)
paired my mpc live with a beatstep pro and they complete each other perfectly, so I don't feel tempted by the Pioneer sequencer.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Addict

is there a clock divider in there? i need to go slower than 1/4
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

People make it seem like the SP-16 is some broken piece of unusable gear. It sounds great, is easy to use, and is well made. I understand that guys who are serious about hardware sequencing and sampling are mad that it doesn't check all the boxes they think it should. But I never cared about this being less complex or complete. It's just great kit.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
People make it seem like the SP-16 is some broken piece of unusable gear. It sounds great, is easy to use, and is well made. I understand that guys who are serious about hardware sequencing and sampling are mad that it doesn't check all the boxes they think it should. But I never cared about this being less complex or complete. It's just great kit.
there's a bunch of bugs that haven't been fixed and it doesn't look like Pioneer cares at all
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hope those patterns can be chained.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Only two CV/Gate output pairs? How quaint.
That's two too many.

DO NOT BUY THIS. It will be almost certainly incomplete and will be abandoned within a year or two, as was the SP-16.

If you really want it, wait for the inevitable massive price drop in the second hand market.

PS: FU , Pioneer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search