The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pioneer Toraiz SQUID Sequencer
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Sold it why?
I needed the money
I also have octatrack and other elektron gear and prefer the workflow / flexibility for mangling.

I think for 600ish they’re very capable boxes
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6 View Post
Hi !

I have the Squarp Pyramid which I bought mainly beause it has the option to transpose multiple tracks in realtime with a midi keyboard
(This is great for live sequencing )

Is it possible on the SQUID too ?

I do not like the workflow on the pyramid (tripple assignments of buttons!)... so I am thinking of getting a Sqid instead of the pyramid.

But realtime transposing via midi keyboard would be a function I would really miss ...

Thanks for your Input.
Yes spent all night wondering about transposing mult patterns on multi diff tracks. I have modulations of sequences to diff keys but they all need to transpose at the same time - pref via midi keyboard but I'll take it using those damn pads if I have to. Can Squid do this? Really hoping so because if not, what else does this besides the Pyramid?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_moon View Post
Yes spent all night wondering about transposing mult patterns on multi diff tracks. I have modulations of sequences to diff keys but they all need to transpose at the same time - pref via midi keyboard but I'll take it using those damn pads if I have to. Can Squid do this? Really hoping so because if not, what else does this besides the Pyramid?
Not sure I understand 100% what you need but Squid you can do this:

1) make a pattern on a track. Copy said pattern to another slot (pad) in same track so you can now trigger the 2 patterns alternatively. Twist 1 knob (pitch) on your copy of orig seq. so ALL notes within seq. get transposed by knob value (or just press+hold the triggers you want to transpose & turn pitch knob). Now your copy is transposed.

2) repeat this across all tracks that need transposing

3) now you hit the most annoying limitation of Squid: namely no pattern chaining/song mode. So no way to simultaneously change all tracks from their respective 1st sequence to the copied/transposed 2nd seq.

3) Workaround: there's a Pattern Set Mode which essentially saves a global snapshot of whatever is playing across the 16 tracks. Do this once with all Tracks playing their 1st Seq. now this is saved on 1st pad. Then manually change all tracks to play their 2nd (the transposed) seq, make new snapshot in Pattern Set mode (saves to 2nd pad). You can make 16 (pads) diff. snapshots.

4) now press Play and from Pattern Set mode you just trigger manually in succession (or whatever combo you fancy) the pads so the different snapshots play accordingly. Essentially it is a Pattern Chaining except YOU have to manually trigger the changes

Not sure if you can "play" the Pattern Set pads from another midi keyboard. Of course would be genius if yes because you could at least use another programmable device to play the chaining do to speak.... I'll try and check it out

Let me us know if this helps...

Last edited by Lorenzop; 5 days ago at 12:40 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It would be cool if there was a way to use the transpose mode across all tracks. It works very well on a single track.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I already posted at the Toraiz forum about the need for a Track Group feature for the multi-track actions like Transpose, Mute, Pattern Direction, etc. This would bring the Squid to the next level.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
I already posted at the Toraiz forum about the need for a Track Group feature for the multi-track actions like Transpose, Mute, Pattern Direction, etc. This would bring the Squid to the next level.
Can you post a link to your forum entry over on Pioneer, so we can join in there too and add weight to your claims?!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
Can you post a link to your forum entry over on Pioneer, so we can join in there too and add weight to your claims?!
here is the post on the Toraiz Forum:

https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-u...d-Track-Groups
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
here is the post on the Toraiz Forum:

https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-u...d-Track-Groups

Thanks, just posted there.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Cheers.
Well done for signing up and posting. The Pioneer forum seems not very well populated. Can we change that?!

We already have 2 new sign up members, please people sign up there and make your voice heard....there is strength in numbers!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Done. That feature would add a lot to the sequencer.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers.
Well done for signing up and posting. The Pioneer forum seems not very well populated. Can we change that?!

We already have 2 new sign up members, please people sign up there and make your voice heard....there is strength in numbers!
Others before you have treaded this path to oblivion. Even logging in and making a post can be an obstacle that some will fail to conquer.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Not sure I understand 100% what you need but Squid you can do this:

1) make a pattern on a track. Copy said pattern to another slot (pad) in same track so you can now trigger the 2 patterns alternatively. Twist 1 knob (pitch) on your copy of orig seq. so ALL notes within seq. get transposed by knob value (or just press+hold the triggers you want to transpose & turn pitch knob). Now your copy is transposed.

2) repeat this across all tracks that need transposing

3) now you hit the most annoying limitation of Squid: namely no pattern chaining/song mode. So no way to simultaneously change all tracks from their respective 1st sequence to the copied/transposed 2nd seq.

3) Workaround: there's a Pattern Set Mode which essentially saves a global snapshot of whatever is playing across the 16 tracks. Do this once with all Tracks playing their 1st Seq. now this is saved on 1st pad. Then manually change all tracks to play their 2nd (the transposed) seq, make new snapshot in Pattern Set mode (saves to 2nd pad). You can make 16 (pads) diff. snapshots.

4) now press Play and from Pattern Set mode you just trigger manually in succession (or whatever combo you fancy) the pads so the different snapshots play accordingly. Essentially it is a Pattern Chaining except YOU have to manually trigger the changes

Not sure if you can "play" the Pattern Set pads from another midi keyboard. Of course would be genius if yes because you could at least use another programmable device to play the chaining do to speak.... I'll try and check it out

Let me us know if this helps...
Yes. That's exactly what I'm asking for and I started thinking of workarounds and you just confirmed there's a way w. pattern sets. I would really love multi track grouping to perform things like multi track transposing but I suppose your proposed workaround would get the job done. Really hoping they're listening to us and take these feature requests seriously. SQUID has some serious potential in so many ways!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I received my Sweetwater magazine and saw this and wowwww. I’m shopping for a midi sequencer and was eyeing on the Alesia mmt8 or qy70. I love midi sequencers like the Novation Circuit.

This looks cool and fun. I bet my Virus Ti2 and this is the only gear I need .
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Does the Squid have a song or arrangement mode?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

ffs if you have read the thread it does not.

This is half the reason most punters wont buy it.

Before you ask there is always the manual RTFM.

Cheers
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Others before you have treaded this path to oblivion. Even logging in and making a post can be an obstacle that some will fail to conquer.
My Privacy Badger and uBLock Origin prevent me from logging on to the Pioneer forums and from the looks of the ever changing extenal media links I am inclined to avoid the site entirely.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
ffs if you have read the thread it does not.

This is half the reason most punters wont buy it.

Before you ask there is always the manual RTFM.

Cheers
Who pissed in your corn flakes?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
My Privacy Badger and uBLock Origin prevent me from logging on to the Pioneer forums and from the looks of the ever changing extenal media links I am inclined to avoid the site entirely.
I had to use a different browser altogether to be able to log in and post, and even then it only worked half the time. No doubt it is loaded with data mining links.

What's even more funny/tragic is that there is no Pioneer logo on the Squid, and Toraiz have been split off as a separate company so it's probably even more futile to go to the Pioneer forum ...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Pioneer managed to out-crap Akai in the support forum stakes, which was quite some achievement
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
I’m shopping for a midi sequencer and was eyeing on the Alesia mmt8...
The MMT-8 and Toraiz Squid handle "patterns" differently. The MMT-8's patterns span the tracks so when you change patterns you change every track at the same time. This is like a mod tracker, or Reason Blocks, or Ableton Scenes.

The Toraiz Squid's patterns are local to a track, where each track itself has a number of patterns available to it. To emulate the MMT-8 workflow there are "pattern sets". But they behave slightly differently in that they save and restore track mute state. Depending on your expectations, that might be awesome or terrible. For me, having come from the MMT-8 workflow, it's pretty terrible.

No song mode in the Toraiz Squid.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Toraiz have been split off as a separate company so it's probably even more futile to go to the Pioneer forum ...
It’s a separate brand, not a separate company.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search