The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Headrush Looperboard coming.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah, the Lexicon one does, but I’m not sure about the Digitech version that came later. My guess is, it won’t be added, ever. I’ve never once seen a looping device that didn’t have it that got it added at a later date. I think it’s something so central to the core of a looper that if it’s not put in at day one, it’s impossible or very hard to add later.

Anyway, I’ll probably stick to Möbius, Augustus Loop and Enos for my looping needs. The idea behind this would be to create a little self contained loop station where I could do my effects and looping all in one. If it can’t do “loop aging” (what TC calls it) then I’m not interested. That’s also what killed the Boss RC line for me. Good for people doing straight song styles of music, but not for me.
OTOH, it has time stretch and fade already so it may not be as difficult as it appears.

I’ve already decided it’s my next purchase even in its current form. The four inputs will allow me to ditch the mixer for small gigs, bringing my ax, pedalboard (with pre and cab clone), OB6, drum machine.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
OTOH, it has time stretch and fade already so it may not be as difficult as it appears.

I’ve already decided it’s my next purchase even in its current form. The four inputs will allow me to ditch the mixer for small gigs, bringing my ax, pedalboard (with pre and cab clone), OB6, drum machine.
It has fade and “peel off,” but it seems like those don’t work on a track that’s recording. You could fake something by using adjacent tracks, but that seems really awkward.

I’m actually really confused as to why they left this out of such a full featured looper, but I guess is you’re not doing the ambient thing, it’s not important. One of the things that I love doing the most is to create a one bar static loop (feedback = 100%) and then make a 2-4 bar loop that’s set at 80% feedback that I’m continually tending with new content. A lot of magic can happen with the juxtaposition of the static and the evolving.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
bringing my ax,
Wouldn’t this let you leave your AxeFX home? Not saying it’s as good, but for live use, I bet it’s fine.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wouldn’t this let you leave your AxeFX home? Not saying it’s as good, but for live use, I bet it’s fine.
Ax=lame ass way of saying “guitar”

That’s a sweet way of running a looper. Definitely more creative than the standard record a bass and snare, then do a bass line, then do a rhythm part etc...

I plan on getting a Volante too which will help getting that sos evolving wash in conjunction with the Looperboard
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ax=lame ass way of saying “guitar”

That’s a sweet way of running a looper. Definitely more creative than the standard record a bass and snare, then do a bass line, then do a rhythm part etc...

I plan on getting a Volante too which will help getting that sos evolving wash in conjunction with the Looperboard
I’ve got the Volante on my scope as well (damn it that no one has it!) but I’ve read in the specs that the sound-on-sound function does not sync to a MIDI clock.

I’ve decided that that’s really what I’m looking for in a looper. I just want something that sounds like an old tape delay and/or pair of Revoxes (ala Fripp and Eno) but I want it to MIDI sync and at least give me 20 seconds of delay time. If someone knows of such a device, I’m all ears. I’m using software now, but I want to make a little dedicated hardware setup with the Microfreak at the heart of it.
Old 22nd April 2019
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I rarely stomp my pedals, except when I'm playing bass guitar which I have a dedicated big ass pedal board for. But for synths n' stuff I got em racked up on some ergo stands, with soft buttons placed over their switches and just use my hands. I love twiddling knobs and pressing buttons. Heh.

I have a Boss RC505 that I use for vocals and goofing around with mics. I really love it but it's an expensive "toy", plastic everywhere, and I'm afraid of dropping it or feeding it instruments to loop, even though people do.
Plastic seems lame until you're actually gigging with a bunch of gear and you realize how much it matters for things to weigh less.

Headrush: 16 lbs
Rc-505: 3 lbs
Old 22nd April 2019
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
It has fade and “peel off,” but it seems like those don’t work on a track that’s recording. You could fake something by using adjacent tracks, but that seems really awkward.

I’m actually really confused as to why they left this out of such a full featured looper, but I guess is you’re not doing the ambient thing, it’s not important. One of the things that I love doing the most is to create a one bar static loop (feedback = 100%) and then make a 2-4 bar loop that’s set at 80% feedback that I’m continually tending with new content. A lot of magic can happen with the juxtaposition of the static and the evolving.
I'm not 100% sure I understand the feedback function, but couldn't you send the phones out back to the aux in of the rc-505 for instance and then set the track to "overdub" and then it's just getting the loopback of its own output? You could send it through an overdrive or filter and it will continuously degrade the sound. Haven't tried it though....

There's also a couple weird USB functions that I haven't tried with the computer that route the audio in and out.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
I'm not 100% sure I understand the feedback function, but couldn't you send the phones out back to the aux in of the rc-505 for instance and then set the track to "overdub" and then it's just getting the loopback of its own output? You could send it through an overdrive or filter and it will continuously degrade the sound. Haven't tried it though....

There's also a couple weird USB functions that I haven't tried with the computer that route the audio in and out.
Maybe, but hardware is going to have to compete with my software solutions which don’t make me jump though all those hoops. My current setup involves me loading up a plugin like Enos or Valhalla Delay into Maschine as an effect (for the knobs) and running something through it like a hardware synth or software of some sort. For extra distress, I sometimes use Speakerphone for it’s vinyl effect. This works amazingly well, but my idea for the Looperboard would be a hardware solution that had a very specific part of a sub system. So, unless it perfectly meets my needs, there’s no real reason to settle for something that’s partially there. Seems cool though. Just not for me.
Old 22nd April 2019
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Maybe, but hardware is going to have to compete with my software solutions which don’t make me jump though all those hoops. My current setup involves me loading up a plugin like Enos or Valhalla Delay into Maschine as an effect (for the knobs) and running something through it like a hardware synth or software of some sort. For extra distress, I sometimes use Speakerphone for it’s vinyl effect. This works amazingly well, but my idea for the Looperboard would be a hardware solution that had a very specific part of a sub system. So, unless it perfectly meets my needs, there’s no real reason to settle for something that’s partially there. Seems cool though. Just not for me.
Funny, a looper is really the one thing that really needs to be hardware for me. Because as I'm playing a miked up instrument, mousing on the computer is the LAST thing I want to do, when I'm in the moment coming up with loops on top of loops. In fact, even the buttons on the RC-505 were too hard to access, so I bought the Behringer FCB1010 as a foot pedal for it, and now it's perfect.

If I tried to set up a looper in software, I would want to set up a full hardware midi controller setup for it, because otherwise I would never use it. I can't say the same for a lot of software solutions to various things.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
Funny, a looper is really the one thing that really needs to be hardware for me. Because as I'm playing a miked up instrument, mousing on the computer is the LAST thing I want to do, when I'm in the moment coming up with loops on top of loops. In fact, even the buttons on the RC-505 were too hard to access, so I bought the Behringer FCB1010 as a foot pedal for it, and now it's perfect.

If I tried to set up a looper in software, I would want to set up a full hardware midi controller setup for it, because otherwise I would never use it. I can't say the same for a lot of software solutions to various things.
Oh, that’s what I do for my software loopers. FCB1010 and Maschine for things I want knobby control. Works perfectly.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

i would have expected loop feedback to be in the loop settings menu. however there is a setting for fadout rate. 0 - 99% CC#94. This might be the same thing. . This could be really useful for ambient looping because you could have more control over fade out.

I was hoping for a list of fx too.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve got the Volante on my scope as well (damn it that no one has it!) but I’ve read in the specs that the sound-on-sound function does not sync to a MIDI clock.

I’ve decided that that’s really what I’m looking for in a looper. I just want something that sounds like an old tape delay and/or pair of Revoxes (ala Fripp and Eno) but I want it to MIDI sync and at least give me 20 seconds of delay time. If someone knows of such a device, I’m all ears. I’m using software now, but I want to make a little dedicated hardware setup with the Microfreak at the heart of it.
No hardware will do that except the old rack units.

You could always stick Enso on your phone and pretend it's hardware.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I guess I am not sold on the form factor ..

There is so much you need access to with the touchscreen that it would be far better as a (hopefully smaller) stand/desktop device with pads as buttons for the non-guitar crowd and provision for a midi footswitch controller (custom or open market)..
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
No hardware will do that except the old rack units.

You could always stick Enso on your phone and pretend it's hardware.
I’m ok with my Maschine solution. Maybe I’ll just update that to a mk3. The truth is, I’ve been having so much fun with Valhalla Delay that I’m thinking that hardware can only be a downgrade.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, the Lexicon one does, but I’m not sure about the Digitech version that came later. .

Yeah the Digitech Jamman has 'Overdub' , if thats what you mean by 'feedback'...though probably not what you meant as they all have 'overdub'.
The EHX 45,000 & the earlier incarnation ( was it the 25,000?)have 'Feedback' , which is also 'overdub' in essence, but with the EHX you can control the amount per track, eg if you set it to 100% it will overdub & keep on overdubbing while retaining the original loop, buliding up noise/ overdubs as much as you want. If its set to 75 % it acts more like a delay with progressive degradation/loss off the original loop as you overdub over it. At 50% it loses the first pass @ 50% in volume & so on.

The Digitech Jamman (last incarnation) has no control over 'overdub', well it does as it has 'undo' ( & redo) which is handy. You can build up as many overdubs as you want & then if it gets sloppy or you make a mistake ,you can 'undo' & it will undo everything back to the original loop OR the last time you stored the loop.

No undo on the 45,000 though .I still thought that the 45K was better for my needs than the 95,000. The 95 K actually works out cheaper by a small amount in many outlets than the 45,000 with the added footpedal (' new' , but used prices on the 45K are nearly as high as 'New')

Id love to have the 'original' Marshall... the one Moebus is based on.

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 24th April 2019 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: mispell
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
Yeah the Digitech Jamman has 'Overdub' , if thats what you mean by 'feedback'...
Well, they’re two different parts of the same thing. This has overdub, but it seems like it’s always at a fixed feedback of 100%. All the last loop makes it into the next pass. By feedback, I mean being able to set it at, say, 60%, and have only 60% of a loop make it into the next pass.

Quote:
Id love to have the 'original' Marshal... the one Moebus is based on.
The original (not the tape Echoplex) was actually produced by Oberheim. It’s still an amazing device, though you had to buy two for stereo use, and that’s super expensive. I’ve never had one.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, they’re two different parts of the same thing. This has overdub, but it seems like it’s always at a fixed feedback of 100%. All the last loop makes it into the next pass. By feedback, I mean being able to set it at, say, 60%, and have only 60% of a loop make it into the next pass.

The original (not the tape Echoplex) was actually produced by Oberheim. It’s still an amazing device, though you had to buy two for stereo use, and that’s super expensive. I’ve never had one.

Yes I realised you meant that, as in 'feedback' on the EHX 45K ..does exactly what you say..

& yes, the Oberheim /Gibson 'Echoplex' was the one I meant , but Id like the Marshal ,was it the 'Time Modulater'? too. I love old quirky digital delays & loopers.. ( tape ones too)

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 24th April 2019 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: stop the bus
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes I realised you meant that, as in 'feedback' on the EHX 45K ..does exactly what you say..

& yes, the Oberheim /Gibson 'Echoplex' was the one I meant , but Id like the Marshal ,was it the 'Time Modulater'? too. I love old quirky digital delays & loopers.. ( tape ones too)
Oh, I forgot about the Time Modulator. I never even heard of that until Softube made an emulation.

In a perfect world, I’d love to have a bunch of those old loopers. Electrix Repeater... never should have sold that. So fun. I just don’t think I could really make them work in my current studio.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

not sure how a marshal time modulator would operate as a looper. I thought it was predicated in really short delays.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I may well have been mistaken,but wasn't there a Marshall digital delay that could also loop? I recall reading about it,I thought it was the 'Tme Modulater' , maybe it was a mod or update .I will research it.

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 24th April 2019 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: yes
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may well have been mistaken,but wasn't there a Marshal digital delay that could also loop? I recall reading about it,I thought it was the 'Tme Modulater' , maybe it was a mod or update .I will research it.
The Time Modulator was famous for short delay like flange & double track.

The only other delay device they made was the Echohead.

The big 3 for looping is really the EDP, PCM42 & Repeater.

Other things like the EHX 16 second delay & MXR 2 second delay also served as looping devices.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

someone made a VST of it some time back. but I think that went the way of the dodo. it was pretty good too from what I remember.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I was just reading a few articles about it, the Marshall 'Time Modulator'. It was analogue not digital & produced delay & modulated delay effects. It was used on Queens' 'Another One Bites the Dust', & David Bowies' 'Ashes to Ashes', as well as countless other hits in the late 70s & 80s. Stevie Wonder was one of the first customers & had an early prototype.

There were a few different revs & the later ones had much longer delay time possible, (perhaps able to create a few seconds looping? -or 'hold'/ 'freeze' etc as many of the earlier digital delays could do in the early to mid 80s)

apologies for the thread hijack, & I still want one ( & a Repeater) & that' EHX 16 second delay'...almost bought an original a few months ago, that & the Electrix Repeater , very intriguing.

I wonder was the EHX 16 second delay reissue in the same vibe as the original ?

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 24th April 2019 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: no
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

So maybe a a little off topic and kinda of an apples and oranges comparison but fruit no the less. What a people thoughts about making music on a product such as this as opposed to something like the MPC Live or Force? I was hoping for some dialogue on the topic but did not want to give this topic it's own thread.
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Guru

to me the Headrush looks like a very simple 4 Track combined with an existing market for loopers. tapping into an emerging market for portable multitrack recorders. it wouldn't be hard to have made it 24 track, but then it would have been less of a looper and more of a multitrack. it would have required punch in and outs at that stage though at the very least and the designers would have to find programers to handle memory allocation issues at that point. you don't even see this yet with many stand alone multitrack recorders but you would assume that's partly to do with the interface constraints of those units. this unit wouldn't seem to have that constraint in that it has a touch screen interface. and yet it seems to be a 4 track. saying all that though, I can imagine it will sell well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So, I guess this thread is dead. Head Rush kinda brought this on themselves releasing something so advanced that miss the mark so badly. People do not like to be teased. They will get ugly and slam a product. The only thing to do now is to have a major firmware update and soon. Some people have went ahead and signed on to the Looperboard and I wanted to so bad but I may actually re-buy an RC-300 at this point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
So, I guess this thread is dead. Head Rush kinda brought this on themselves releasing something so advanced that miss the mark so badly. People do not like to be teased. They will get ugly and slam a product. The only thing to do now is to have a major firmware update and soon. Some people have went ahead and signed on to the Looperboard and I wanted to so bad but I may actually re-buy an RC-300 at this point.
I’m somewhat interested in it, but not interested in paying a lot of money to be someone’s beta tester. In a year or two it has the potential to be great, if they are committed to working in the firmware, but I’m not sold on it yet.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search