The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Robotic vocal modulator plugin? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Robotic vocal modulator plugin?

I've been trying to get my vocals to sound robotic but still slightly human and have been unsuccessful. I want them to sound similar to vocaloid / Daft Punk, Capsule, etc. That synthetic robotic auto-tuney futuristic sound

I've tried all the main contenders. Already using Auto-Tune but it only gets me partially there. Same with Little Altar boy. I want a much more processed sound than retune speed at 0 can get me. I want my vocals to sound like Vocaloid but I'm not synthesizing the lyrics, they're already recorded I just want to robotize them

Some plugins I've tried so far that aren't doing it for me:
-Pretty much all the VST vocoders ever
-Bitspeek
-Vocalsynth
-Melodyne / Auto-tune
-The mouth
-A bunch of others

Not opposed to hardware either if it can get me the sound I'm looking for. So far Digitech Talker seems like exactly what I want but it's hard to find (want to sell yours? I'll buy it) and I'm not sure if I can feed it 2 audio signals (pre-recorded vocals + soft synth). Orange Vocoder 4 by Zynaptiq also sounds amazing from the demos I've seen and exactly what I'm looking for but who knows if it will ever get released

I've been researching plugins and trying everything I can find and I'm just stuck trying to get the right sound. I have deadlines to finish these projects too and have been pretty frustrated. Any ideas?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Have you ever tryed Manipulator?
Manipulator - Polyverse Music
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiostuff View Post
Have you ever tryed Manipulator?
Manipulator - Polyverse Music
I have. I like it but it's more for weird alien/monster noises and not so much the robotic sound I'm looking for
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Try a ring modulator.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Try a ring modulator.
Do you know of any good ones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbinoctuplets View Post
Do you know of any good ones?
I am far from an expert on them, i just saw that you tried almost everything else that can make your voice robotic.
I think the lat time i needed one, i used Xhip effects with satisfactory results.
Xhip Effects Ringmod
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I am far from an expert on them, i just saw that you tried almost everything else that can make your voice robotic.
I think the lat time i needed one, i used Xhip effects with satisfactory results.
Xhip Effects Ringmod
It must have been a looong time ago judging by their website
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

For me, the best all round vocoder is Vocodex, by Imageline. The best vintage emulation is the one by XILS. Have you tried KLON? That one is pretty good, though not a vocoder.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For me, the best all round vocoder is Vocodex, by Imageline. The best vintage emulation is the one by XILS. Have you tried KLON? That one is pretty good, though not a vocoder.
Vocodex sounds good but it's only for PC and I'm on Mac. Never heard of Klon but it requires an elicenser which is very unfortunate. If it was iLok I would of jumped on it. Do you mean the Xils V+? I haven't tried that one yet
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Vocodex sounds good but it's only for PC and I'm on Mac. Never heard of Klon but it requires an elicenser which is very unfortunate. If it was iLok I would of jumped on it. Do you mean the Xils V+? I haven't tried that one yet
I do. It was originally ELS Vocoder, but the developer left and formed his own company. I keep meaning to get it, but the truth is, I’m not all that into vocoders at the moment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Any ideas?
I got your answer bruh .....

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I do. It was originally ELS Vocoder, but the developer left and formed his own company. I keep meaning to get it, but the truth is, I’m not all that into vocoders at the moment.
Ah I was wondering why I couldn't find the ELS vocoder anymore. I didn't know that. Unfortunately all software vocoders I've tried have a very cheap and muddy sound to be. They're not very crisp or intelligible like the effect/sound I'm looking for. Judging by the videos this one seems about the same as the others I've tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZenx View Post
I got your answer bruh .....

Haha I actually watched this video the other day. It seems interesting, a bit like bitspeek with more options. I might give it a try but it looks pretty annoying with how small everything is. Plus it can only record 8 seconds which means it will take a very long time to do what I need to do lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ah I was wondering why I couldn't find the ELS vocoder anymore. I didn't know that. Unfortunately all software vocoders I've tried have a very cheap and muddy sound to be. They're not very crisp or intelligible like the effect/sound I'm looking for. Judging by the videos this one seems about the same as the others I've tried
OK, there’s actually two by XILS. I didn’t know. There’s the Vocoder 5000 that’s based on the EMS Vocoder. That’s the one I have the most experience with and seems to be the most full featured and tweakable. It doesn’t have the built in stringer, though. Not a problem for me, I have good stringer emulations.

I spent a year working for an artist who relied heavily on a Roland VP-330. It could be very clear, but it took some tweaking. Roland has a digital recreation and Behringer is making a clone. I guess XILS has XILS-V, which is their emulation of that one. I’ve never demoed it, so I can’t say how close it is to the original, but I own several XILS plugins and I really like them all and they seem very close to the originals.

That said, I’ve gotten very good results using the ELS Vocoder, but it’s not really a simple task. What I’ve found is that the carrier signal is super important in getting speech right. Also, letting some dry signal sneak past with a little high pass on it helps a lot as well. I always use a very bright sounding waveform, like a sawtooth and blend in some noise as well. Again, a synth that has a high pass filter that tracks the keyboard can be very useful to filter out “mud.”

I’d say, try the XILS Vocoder 5000 and look up some tutorials on how to best get the effect that you’re looking for. To my ears, the older version of it was by far the closest emulation of the EMS Vocoder that I’d ever heard. How close? Not sure, really. I’ve never been around the original. My only first hand experience with hardware vocoders is with the Roland VP-330 and one by a company called Electrix, called the “Warp Factory.” I loved that one, but to be honest, I never used it for voice. To me, that’s not the most interesting thing for vocoders. I like to run a synth as a carrier and drums as modulator.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search