The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SysEx over MIDI Thru? MIDI Processors
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
SysEx over MIDI Thru?

So I have a Mio MIDI interface's MIDI Out plugged into a MIDI Thru box. Also in that Thru box is a MidiGAL, plugged into it's MIDI In port.

On my PC, I used C6 to try to send a SysEx file to update the firmware on the MidiGAL, but it wouldn't work.

Plugged the Mio directly into the MidiGAL, and all good.

Is this standard to filter out SysEx with a Thru box? It was a kickstarter thing, so not a Kenton or anything.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface
So I have a Mio MIDI interface's MIDI Out plugged into a MIDI Thru box. Also in that Thru box is a MidiGAL, plugged into it's MIDI In port.

On my PC, I used C6 to try to send a SysEx file to update the firmware on the MidiGAL, but it wouldn't work.

Plugged the Mio directly into the MidiGAL, and all good.

Is this standard to filter out SysEx with a Thru box? It was a kickstarter thing, so not a Kenton or anything.
I believe you should have plugged the MidiGal into the THRU box's MIDI OUT, not MIDI IN.

Mio (OUT) ==> (IN) MIDI Thru Box (OUT) ==> (IN) MidiGAL
Old 6 days ago
It is possible that it filters out SysEx, but as for standard, not so sure about that. I would hope not since SysEx messaging is widely used for operations such as program dumps. The manual should specify if it supports SysEx.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I believe you should have plugged the MidiGal into the THRU box's MIDI OUT, not MIDI IN.

Mio (OUT) ==> (IN) MIDI Thru Box (OUT) ==> (IN) MidiGAL
Doh, you're right: I have my sequencer in the MIDI In on the Thru box.

I have a merge box, should be able to use that instead.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
I doubt those thru boxes have any brains in them to be able to filter. I think it's just an electrical connection.

Are you sure it's just a one-way dump? Or might you need to have both MIDI directions connected?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search