The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kawai k3m Issue (need help)
Old 1 week ago
Kawai k3m Issue (need help)

Hey All

I have a kawai k3m I just bought and it has a couple of issues. The internal battery appears to be dead as it doesn't hold the factory sounds after they've been restored and I power cycle it. I can buy one off Syntaur but it's another soldered type which I would rather not put back in it, I want a battery holder that's removable but maybe that's not needed?

The other issue is every once in a while the volume drops to roughly half volume when playing and stays there until I mash down on the keys engaging aftertouch and it restores the volume to full again. The aftertouch is mapped to the filter by default it seems because when I engage it the filter opens up and the sound level is restored no matter what patch it occurs on.

1. Would the dead battery have anything to do with the volume issue? I wouldn't think so but you never know.

2. Is a battery holder that makes the battery easily removeable necessary or will the new battery last for a while?

3. The synth is 30 plus years old should I think about recapping it or is it not worth it? I called a local tech and they said some synths before certain years have caps in them that last indefinitely but after those years they will go bad (he was obviously talking about electrolytic). I really love the lofi but unusually warm sound of this beauty and I want it to last for a while.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You might send midi volume that it dropped to half. Did you monitor your master key midi out to see what causes it and what brings it back?

I only recap when there are problems. Battery is none and your second issue seems midi imposed to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search