The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland MV-8 plugout controller/sequencer/(maybe sampler?) Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Roland MV-8 plugout controller/sequencer/(maybe sampler?)

Now Roland shortens or otherwise alters the new name of products that are related to older products.

So I think it is definitely time for the Roland MV-8 (8 what? I don't know)

it's an MPC Live/X killer. Look at a lot of the things that the MV-8800 did better than Akai back in the day, keep rolling with it. Also look at some of their latter day Roland products that in my opinion are quite successful and are related - these can inform the feature set of this new device.

Mixer / control with on board effects - MX-1 - add more effects like MPC does, but keep a lot of the same concepts. Provide more ins and outs than MPC. Also, CV - you can integrate with modular better than anyone else as shown from boutique and AIRA products.

Sync - midi interface - SXB-1 - newMPC stuff sucks when it comes to being on time, relative to how things should be in the modern era. SXB-1 is amazing, integrate these synch features in the MV-8.

Pads - better be sure they are really good though, Akai in my opinion is no longer vulnerable on the topic of pads, theirs are now the best.

Onboard effects, synths, drum machines - Plugout!!!!! you got this, Roland, you do this every day, and you do it quite well.

Screen - just like Tesla gets undue credit for simply putting an iPad on the dash board, don't even give the thing a screen just make it completely and intimately controllable from an iPad or other capacitive touch screen. Just an idea but a good one because this supports your other killer feature

Really good piano roll / step sequencer. Take advantage of the ultra tight timing given by your integrated SBX-1 synchronization / clock features, and your arbitrarily large screen now that its all external, and just give a really good piano roll and step sequencer.

Mouse / keyboard - do not underestimate how happy this would make users, the people who grow the hype and pay the bills.

Standalone - must stand alone

Run as VST in DAW - instead of having a crappy DAW thing like MPC does, just write a VST that integrates into any DAW, including clock sync in and out.

Sampling - I am not sure sampling onboard is really what people care about, its the ability to chop up sounds and load them from HD or places like Splice. So maybe ditch the sampler.

I will buy two. Disclosure I just sold my MPC Live and I am sorely pissed there is no modern MV-8800 for me to buy. Being unwell, I might buy and old MV-8800 if I can find one, but a new one should exist already.

double edit - Workflow - MPC workflow SUCKS, in my opinion, attack this by providing simple, LINEAR workflow based around the sequencer (which is dual step/ looper / piano roll ) like a DAW but simpler.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search