The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer's K-20 (MS-20 clone) surfacing Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2 hours ago
I wish synth companies would learn from guitar companies and stop discontinuing classic designs that are still in demand. If I want to get a Strat, I can still give Fender money and get one in the same form factor and with the same features that you could get in the 50's for about 1/5 of the price they originally went for. Why can't I go into a synth shop and pick up a proper, non limited edition Minimoog for say $2000 or a clone/cheaper SMT model that looks and sounds the same from Moog or another company for a fraction of that? Why is it impossible to buy a brand new, full-size modern Minikorg or MS-20? Or a Solina? Or any of the SH synths? Or any of the dozens of other classic designs?

The barrier for entry when it comes to getting classic synth designs is insanely stupid, too. If someone wants to learn how to play guitar, they can go get a $200 Les Paul or Strat or Tele knockoff (from the real companies, nonetheless) and if they fall in love with it they can go get the premium model. If Moog were smart, they'd sell a less robust Minimoog at a price that let beginners learn how to play the thing and experience the reasons they're such a beloved instrument, which would create demand for a premium version.
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer
I wish synth companies would learn from guitar companies and stop discontinuing classic designs that are still in demand. If I want to get a Strat, I can still give Fender money and get one in the same form factor and with the same features that you could get in the 50's for about 1/5 of the price they originally went for.
Same with the other acoustic instruments. Synths are weird for some weird reasons. Maybe because people are still confused about what synths are, musical instruments or electronics goods.

But now at least we can have the Squier of synthesizers. Hopefully, Behringer will stick to the form factor of the originals more often and more faithfully so we don't get a desktop mini CS-80 with free tweezers to play it as the only option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search